test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

═══ STO Ship Charts by SpiderMitch ═══

Comments

• sirricwinsirricwin Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Very sad news. But some things are far more important.

The charts are unquestionably masterpiece, something which not many people are going to be able to follow. In all the countless hours of work, constant updates and new additions, slight changes; you still maintained a superb quality of work.

I do wonder how feasible it would be for you to pass your resources to someone else to continue your work. Regardless though, you have done a great service for the community. One that should always be appreciated.

See you out there.

Just noticed, my forum account has been reset :| Teach me to leave the game for a few months then come back and not check what has changed lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sorry to see you go. It is one of the most versatile resources you have created.
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sorry to see you go SpiderMitch...

I can understand your feelings about it though. I also hope things improve IRL for you as well.

Let's just hope the Mods keep this thread stickied and that you'll be able to come back at some point. Your work, in a sense, was one of the few reasons I kept some what interested in STO, Post F2P. Even my own interest in the game has waned, but more of the Dev's (in)actions in the way things have gone.

Good luck and hope to see you return.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm really really sorry to see you go. :(

Your charts are used so much. I loved them from the moment I first saw them.

Good luck, and best wishes. :)
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What a bummer to see you stop these wonderful, and EXTREMELY detailed charts.

As a player since 2010, I have loved looking over your ship-charts, planning the course of my characters advancement.

I loved looking over your star charts as well, what an AWESOME map of the game universe. Helped me soooo many times when I got lost, or got a mission and said "where the *bleep* is that system?"

Cryptic should give you a commendation for the amazing work you did on these two projects.

They are truly a masterful piece of graphics.... *stand up and applause*
  • suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of communication; it's been a rough few months. I finally have a few minutes to come on here and post something.

Recently things in real life have taken me away from doing updates on my ship charts. When Season 6 came out, I felt as though I was at a good point with these charts, and went into adding all the new ships (and even creating a new VA/Fleet chart - which I was going to surprise everyone with). As stated, however, things happened in RL which caused the production to halt a bit. No biggie, really. What's a month or so off from STO?

Apparently, a lot! So there's all these Tholian ships now, mirror universe ships, a new +1 Sovereign, plus all the fleet ships, a new currency for fleet ships, the changeover to Xen & price changes for each ship, removal of ship skins: Maelstrom, Nomad, Imperial, Hephaestus, Comet, Nimbus from non-fleet tiers - UNLESS you already purchased them at one point (if I've understood all the forum info correctly) & the price changes when you want to buy the fleet version if you've already purchased them at some point? very difficult to put up on a chart all these contingencies.

I've always tried not to get overwhelmed by this project, yet I find it takes many, many hours. Ironically enough, these hours are taken away from playing the game. I know like 3 people in-game. I've joined fleets and barely feel like apart of them because I'm never in & I feel like I'm missing out on a large portion of the game? especially now with the fleet advancement stuff. I've not had time to get my characters cool gear - let alone grind any amount of dilithium to buy anything worth-while. A few people have gifted me a few things which I cherish and enjoy every time I play - one person gave me an entire Aegis Set! Another actually gave me C-store points to buy an Excelsior! And further still, a few people have given me C-store gifts and donated dilithium through the foundry donation mission I created. For these contributions & donations, I can't express my gratitude. The kindness of the community always shocks me into awe.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy making these charts & contributing to the passion of this community. It's what's tied me to this game (in an unofficial capacity) and I've always looked at this project as a "labor of love." But moving forward, I don't think I can give the attention needed to continue making this resource - at least not in the capacity that everyone using it deserves. I used to keep track of the dev blogs and listen to podcasts, anticipating new ships as they came out (often showing on the shipcharts with "placeholders"). I was usually on tribble with the test ships AS SOON as they were available; those that weren't on Tribble, I'd beg others for screenshots of the latest and greatest ship. With time constraints on me and working two jobs just to make ends meet, I really don't think I can continue, no matter how much I wish I could. If it was a paid gig, then yeah! bring it on! :P but, as I said, it's always been a "labor of love" and sometimes, love just isn't enough. *sad panda* :(

Don't want to leave on a sad note though... I again want to thank everyone who's supported this project and gave me encouragement. Working on something like this for the better part of 2 years is a commitment I have enjoyed and held proudly. It's our love of Star Trek & it's ideals that unites us all - as a community and through our humanity, and I've learned so much through doing this for everyone.

Thanks & I'll see you all in the stars...

I totally sympathize with ya! I actually began revamping my own chart over the summer to get it back upto date, but then the fleet ships got added, along with more lockbox ships, it kind of got to the point where actually organising all the ships in an easy to understand way was becoming difficult to actually achieve!

The work on your chart was fantastic. i suppose the one glimmer to be taken from this is that the work we did on our charts got Cryptic to add the ship info window ingame, so poeple can still actually compare ships fairly easily (which was the original issue that created the need for the charts).

I still think we should maybe collaborate on a master PSD document that we can both work on, to perhaps help reduce the workload ;-)
  • suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    rifter1969 wrote: »

I loved looking over your star charts as well, what an AWESOME map of the game universe. Helped me soooo many times when I got lost, or got a mission and said "where the *bleep* is that system?"

Cryptic should give you a commendation for the amazing work you did on these two projects.

They are truly a masterful piece of graphics.... *stand up and applause*

I have a hunch you may be refering to my starcharts, I created the original ship tier charts that Spidermitch used as the basis for his, then I stopped working on mine as Spidermitch was doing such a great job and concentrated on the starcharts instead ;-)
  • dradymdradym Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    well, i like making spreadsheets, if someone wants to make the graphics, i can gather the info in an organized way...but i suppose anyone could really do that. but yeah, you can message me if someone wanted to continue the work.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2012
    dradym wrote: »
    well, i like making spreadsheets, if someone wants to make the graphics, i can gather the info in an organized way...but i suppose anyone could really do that. but yeah, you can message me if someone wanted to continue the work.

I could get shots of most ingame ships except the fleet ones.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, I'm sorry to see you stop updating those great charts, SpiderMitch. You did a great deal of work.

When I first saw them, I actually thought they were official. And honestly, they should be and you should be paid for making them and updating them. Whenever I was thinking about trying a new ship, I used those charts.

Wish you luck and enjoy playing STO whenever you got free time.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • danpmkdanpmk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've been a long-time appreciator of these charts and was eagerly awaiting an update. I do wish you the best :)

May I have the resources you used to make this? I'd love to continue the legacy. I will begin working on my own chart if not, as I found them so useful, I'd simply love to be able to not start from scratch.
    It is corporeal.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    a successor? sounds hopeful...
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
    edited September 2012
    danpmk wrote: »
    I've been a long-time appreciator of these charts and was eagerly awaiting an update. I do wish you the best :)

May I have the resources you used to make this? I'd love to continue the legacy. I will begin working on my own chart if not, as I found them so useful, I'd simply love to be able to not start from scratch.

I can't say to what point that'd please me if someone could carry on with those graphic charts.

I was thinking about trying something myself, sadly I have almost no skill whatsoever with photoshop, which would be needed. I mean, anyone can create a table of stats, but showing the ships (in all skins) themselves with intuitively placed stat values is art, and that's well beyond me.

If SpiderMitch is still watching, I'd implore him to let the charts live and maybe help if someone really has what it takes to "continue the legacy" (at least temporarily).

Danpmk, maybe you could send a pm to SpiderMitch, if you're really interested. I believe his ingame handle is somewhere in the thread...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    toiva wrote: »
    Danpmk, maybe you could send a pm to SpiderMitch, if you're really interested. I believe his ingame handle is somewhere in the thread...
    To make sure it's easy to find, here's his handle: Xeval@spidermitch (I'm the one who gave him an entire Aegis set ;))
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
    edited September 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    To make sure it's easy to find, here's his handle: Xeval@spidermitch (I'm the one who gave him an entire Aegis set ;))

Thank you, I shall send him a message today.
    It is corporeal.
    edited October 2012
    I take it those lovely graphical ship charts are resting in peace now.

Thanks again Spidermitch for all the decisions they helped me make and see you in a brighter future. ;)

edited October 2012
    I take it those lovely graphical ship charts are resting in peace now.

Thanks again Spidermitch for all the decisions they helped me make and see you in a brighter future. ;)

He never got back to me, unfortunately. I do not have the artistic skill he did, nor can I just take the art without his permission, so that route is closed for now. As for a ship chart I'd make, it would be far less pretty. Aside from my lack of art skill, I do not know what tools he used to get those views of the ships (does anyone know?). If I made charts, they would be like the ones you said anyone can make; more of a table than the work of art these were.
    It is corporeal.
    edited October 2012
    As far as I know, mostly screenshots from the "ship tailor" were used. Of course that means you need people to send you pics of their ships (or you need to spend a lot of resources to get every last ship - not recommended :P ).

If you start a "table" as you say, I'd be happy to send you pics of ships I got (sadly I'm no big ship collector), and you could at least complement stats with a couple images.

edited October 2012
    As far as I know, mostly screenshots from the "ship tailor" were used. Of course that means you need people to send you pics of their ships (or you need to spend a lot of resources to get every last ship - not recommended :P ).

If you start a "table" as you say, I'd be happy to send you pics of ships I got (sadly I'm no big ship collector), and you could at least complement stats with a couple images.

No worries, I've figured out how to view any model in the game, including any combination of parts and custom paint jobs like with the tailor. I'll throw some conceptis images together perhaps this weekend or next week, as this week I am rather busy.
    It is corporeal.
    edited October 2012
    No worries, I've figured out how to view any model in the game, including any combination of parts and custom paint jobs like with the tailor. I'll throw some conceptis images together perhaps this weekend or next week, as this week I am rather busy.

Nice. Wish you good luck. ;)

• armedbushidoarmedbushido Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Good Luck - these charts are really missed!
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    yes, we all eagerly await the results....
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • bigchikin1bigchikin1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Indeed. I am almost lost without this chart being updated.
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bigchikin1 wrote: »
    Indeed. I am almost lost without this chart being updated.

STOWiki offers a comprehensive, up-to-date and detailed comparative list of ALL playable starships in game:

Federation: http://www.stowiki.org/Federation_playable_starship
    Klingon Empire: http://www.stowiki.org/Klingon_playable_starship
  • bigchikin1bigchikin1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kagasensei wrote: »
    STOWiki offers a comprehensive, up-to-date and detailed comparative list of ALL playable starships in game:

Federation: http://www.stowiki.org/Federation_playable_starship
    Klingon Empire: http://www.stowiki.org/Klingon_playable_starship

That's good, but I'm a visual person and I love the visual chart because I can quickly compare things. A big one is the special bonuses or consoles that each ship has being listed. Thank you for the links, though.
    edited November 2012
    I've begun contributing to the wiki myself, but fear not, I have not abandoned the idea. I just had to weather a hurricane and some other things, and dealing with things at home, so my time is a little limited.

I'm really liking all the new things this Season, so I plan to be playing for a while, and that will help motivate me. Right now, however, the Foundry is down, preventing me from getting screenshots I need. Once it's back up, I'll start throwing some concepts together, both so you guys can see some progress and give me pointers.
    It is corporeal.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    kagasensei wrote: »
    STOWiki offers a comprehensive...
    "Comprehensive"? I don't see info on ship power... :cool:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • armedbushidoarmedbushido Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wish I had the talent to do these - they are really missed!!!
    edited November 2012
    I've begun contributing to the wiki myself, but fear not, I have not abandoned the idea. I just had to weather a hurricane and some other things, and dealing with things at home, so my time is a little limited.

I'm really liking all the new things this Season, so I plan to be playing for a while, and that will help motivate me. Right now, however, the Foundry is down, preventing me from getting screenshots I need. Once it's back up, I'll start throwing some concepts together, both so you guys can see some progress and give me pointers.

Looking forward to it and ready to "give pointers". :)

• bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I Just happened to run into this post again, and it saddens me you won't be able to continue your project, Spidermitch. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours in these tough economic times. If I had started this project, I would have had to let it go as well, since I needed to pick up a FT job to couple w/my freelance.

It's nice to see that someone else is possibly taking over the bridge on this one, though.

They looked like posters (nice eye candy), had the stats, and were very useful resources in choosing a ship at a quick glance.

I hope the legacy continues. I would help out if I had the time.

Once again, good luck.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!