test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lowbies in Fleet events

aveldraaveldra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hey Cryptic, I have no problems with low level players wanting to do these, what I have a problem with is going into a Fleet Alert and me an just another VA player getting teamed up with 3 low level people in Lowbie ships. Either these morons are trolling or this needs to get fixed, don't put us in the same team as lowbies please. I'm sick of having to carry these people in instances, and if I bail I get a damn timer on me. /endrant
Post edited by aveldra on

Comments

• entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't understand how letting lower-level players in on Level 50 play helps anything.

If nothing else, the lack of weapons, console slots, and higher-level consoles/weapons weakens the team's speed, damage, and overall defense/ability to keep most/all of the 5/15 ships in the fight.

Is there not a way to put 10-level groups in place? Like make available a queue of "Fleet Alert, Levels 10-19", "Fleet Alert, Levels 20-29", etc.? They wouldn't even have to be marked as such in the actual queue; the server can slot people into the appropriate queues.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    post deleted

This is just too funny to comment on.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • aveldraaveldra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    entnx01 wrote: »
    I don't understand how letting lower-level players in on Level 50 play helps anything.

If nothing else, the lack of weapons, console slots, and higher-level consoles/weapons weakens the team's speed, damage, and overall defense/ability to keep most/all of the 5/15 ships in the fight.

Is there not a way to put 10-level groups in place? Like make available a queue of "Fleet Alert, Levels 10-19", "Fleet Alert, Levels 20-29", etc.? They wouldn't even have to be marked as such in the actual queue; the server can slot people into the appropriate queues.

Beats me but it's a pain in the butt dealing with these people. I usually do instances with friends premades but sometimes I just wanna get on and do these for kicks. Kinda just bums me out when I see these tier 2 ships and junkers. Kills my reason to bother playing till my friends are on.
  • ariseaboveariseabove Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aveldra wrote: »
    Hey Cryptic, I have no problems with low level players wanting to do these, what I have a problem with is going into a Fleet Alert and me an just another VA player getting teamed up with 3 low level people in Lowbie ships. Either these morons are trolling or this needs to get fixed, don't put us in the same team as lowbies please. I'm sick of having to carry these people in instances, and if I bail I get a damn timer on me. /endrant

Ah its the same old rule for stf's don't play pugs and you won't have the problem.

While you can pug fleet events they are really ment for fleets.
  • cushionridecushionride Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    yet in fleet battles like starbase 24 or mirror universe there are level limitations, anyone in the same 10 level bracket are in a group. there are no players higher or lower, i cant imagine it being that hard to correct fleet mark battles with that kind of limitation
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ^^

This is what has me wondering. This capability already exists, we just need it applied to the new events.

While, yes, ideally you do these with your Fleet, a lot of time you wind up pugging. Our fleet is working on T4 assets at this point, and projects are taking A LOT of Fleet Marks. We need people grinding those as much as possible, whenever they have time, whether they can scrape together an all Fleet team or not. When I have to fight through an Alert with somebody in a Connie, knowing we have no hope of finishing within the time limit, and trying to maximize the 2-hour FM bonus events, that is just intensely frustrating.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The obvious solution would be to, instead of having the missions at level 50, reduce them to level 10, and then downgrade VA's to lvl 10...

It would work, and Low leves wouldn be as "useless" in thoose missions, while having VA's is still a big bonus.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just auto block anyone over commander from Fleet alert and set it at commander levels

Anyone past captain on the others

and Admirals only get STFS

Because im sick of carrying VA's who do Nothing useful
    Live long and Prosper
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, had a pile of lowbies in the Fleet Alert this evening, we couldn't even get past wave 3. Thanks Cryptic. If you want level 1s in with level 50's you gotta nerf the bad guys some more!

Raising a lvl 1 Miranda to '50' is not the same as a real 50. They have less guns, less consoles, less skill points, less Boff powers... less everything!
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I see norghs (and other-non Qin's) all the time in STF's, and yet we win (with optional) most of the time. I still don't see the point of this thread, if you want a sure win do a private with your buddies who all fly battleships.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • zdfx19zdfx19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I kind of agree with the sentiment expressed by the OP. But I think you should simply have scaled and like level grouped ques akin to the general purpose fleet actions (SB 24 for example) so that people of all levels can enjoy these events without worry or concern. No one wants to hold a team back or be seen as a liability but they do want to play the game.

While I was leveling up my current toon, I once thought I que?d up for SB 24 in my rookie ship but some how ended up in a Fleet Alert. It was actually caused by the mouse cursor leaving the FA highlighted down the list when scrolling to find SB 24 to double click on it. Stuff like this can happen sometimes if one is not fully paying attention. Man, I was so embarrassed and slunk down in my chair but had no time to just drop before the event began. I started too anyway but fleet members encouraged me to play it out. I killed five ships through the match as it didn?t seem to scale my weapon damage well but I never died while a group of 4 level 50?s I was stuck with seemed to die every time they spawned. O.o

I still haven?t figured out what was up with that group. Sometimes? Level just doesn?t matter...
  • shakesfistatskyshakesfistatsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yesterday I wound in a pug with 4 lowbies and we managed to save just 1 freighter. I got 2 whole fleet marks out of it and it was a compete waste of time. They simply do not have the firepower necessary to compete effectively in fleet events at VA level.
    I survived the 2012 Forum Merge - Join Date 11/2008
  • sheppardussheppardus Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yesterday I wound in a pug with 4 lowbies and we managed to save just 1 freighter. I got 2 whole fleet marks out of it and it was a compete waste of time. They simply do not have the firepower necessary to compete effectively in fleet events at VA level.

Starbase Blockade does not need firepower to save freighters.....
    If you only managed to save 1 freighter you cannot blame 'lowbies' for your failure to save anymore, on my own I can save a freighter, sometimes 2 freighters at once if they spawn near each other (I'm a science captain btw) and my fleet mates can do exactly the same when I taught them the tactics I came up with, be they science engineering or tactical.
    Please have a look at the below link to my post on tactics for starbase blockade, if you can follow this I guarantee that you will get at least 6/7 freighters saved no matter what team you are with 'lowbie' or not

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=390871
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The ideal of raising non 40/50-levels to that level has no meaning if the weapons on the ship are still low performing for the mission. If low ranking characters are going to play with high ranking players (espeically those with mod gear/MK XI/XII) then the low-ranking players have to receive a major power/points boost to make this useful.

The obvious solution if to keep LT to CPTs in one group and raise everyone up to the base level of the higests ranked player in to the group, and to have RA/VAs as another group. The only problem would be population base (especially for the KDF) to maintain game play for that type of mission.

Really, I see Fleet Action more feasible if a non-faction varian is made (just like STFs), so that teams are easier to build and all players can easily jump into one. There is always an excuse for why a KDF is attacking another KDF, and FEDs can always be going up against MU FEDs. Either way, theire needs to be some tweeking to make the gameplay more reliable than just throwing a bunch of oddly ranked players into a group and telling them, "Good Luck with that." :confused:
  • shakesfistatskyshakesfistatsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    The ideal of raising non 40/50-levels to that level has no meaning if the weapons on the ship are still low performing for the mission. If low ranking characters are going to play with high ranking players (espeically those with mod gear/MK XI/XII) then the low-ranking players have to receive a major power/points boost to make this useful.

The obvious solution if to keep LT to CPTs in one group and raise everyone up to the base level of the higests ranked player in to the group, and to have RA/VAs as another group. The only problem would be population base (especially for the KDF) to maintain game play for that type of mission.

Really, I see Fleet Action more feasible if a non-faction varian is made (just like STFs), so that teams are easier to build and all players can easily jump into one. There is always an excuse for why a KDF is attacking another KDF, and FEDs can always be going up against MU FEDs. Either way, theire needs to be some tweeking to make the gameplay more reliable than just throwing a bunch of oddly ranked players into a group and telling them, "Good Luck with that." :confused:

Wow...really? The only one we saved was saved by me. I spent the entire match saving the other players from fiery death. They were completely ineffective. But as you were obviously there, I defer to you esteemed wisdom in these matters.
    I survived the 2012 Forum Merge - Join Date 11/2008