test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Possible to change UI color?

ericsonxxericsonxx Member Posts: 253 Arc User
I never thought about it before, and I'm not near the game to look at the moment, but I'm worried once I start KDF the constant red will hurt my eyes, so, anyone know?
Post edited by ericsonxx on

Comments

• shaunklshaunkl Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sorry, it isn't possible to change the UI color.
    Number one on my wishlist: New FED transporter effect
    Number two: 22nd Century Excursion Jackets
    Number three: Handheld communicator animation for non-combadge uniforms
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Apparently Cryptic is researching UI customization options including color palette changes , what fruit that will bare and when, who knows.
    Personally I would be happy with subdued reds and blues in the non active portions of the UI, the FED blue doesn't bother me so much, but the Klingon red gives me intense headaches after a short period of time.
    You may be one of the lucky ones who suffers no ill effects from the Klingon UI, good luck.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    shaunkl wrote: »
    Sorry, it isn't possible to change the UI color.

It is possible. The klingons had to use the fed UI color due to a 'glitch' in some instances.

Just allowing the use of fed or kdf interface as a choice would be helpful. Color blind folk like myself suffer horribly from the all-red interface. We see most of it but mix in the plasma/nebulae greens and other FX into it and half the time i cant even see what to click in the screen. Using color blind mods for the graphics cards makes the rest of the game look like an acid trip.

In my case, if I could play klingon using fed interface I'd have no visual issues.
  • coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hmm, if they do implement, I might turn all my UI color to a romulan/orion green from the exiting red.

Btw isn't the canon-red for klingons because their eyesight is more redshifted and can see more on the red side of the human-visible spectrum...

I can see why you get a headache playing KDF cos after all you're not really a klingon in real life ;p

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
    edited September 2012
    Somewhere along the way whoever designed the Klingon UI forgot the fact that the players playing Klingons, aren't actually Klingons and what may look ok to a Klingon can be really painful for some of us poor dumb humans.
    Whether the red is canon or not is debatable, yes there is more red than blue in Klingon displays in the movies and TV series, but red isn't the only color displayed. They don't walk around their ships in the dark and true they don't paint the walls bright colors, but they usually do have them well lit, in fact most times harshly lit, so STOs dim rooms and corridors and a UI that makes you squint are a bit off.
    The Klingons in this game were not given an interface that is uniquely theirs, their interface is a Federation knockoff with red switched for the original blue. There are none of the triangle/honeycomb elements in Klingon displays that are seen in Movies and TV, but then the only time a Fed player sees a semblance of a LCARS interface is only during loading screens so both sides got shafted where UIs are concerned.
    The frames and borders of either side Fed or Klink red or blue is so much useless scenery, if we could get that dimmed down to subtle browns or dim blues it would save a ton of eyestrain, better yet, we don't need to be looking at fluorescent blues and neon reds for elements that don't do anything, let us turn them off leaving only the buttons and icons we need to see.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • dawnskydawnsky Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    also, it might be a good ideal to be able to change the font in the UI. i know with my reduced vision, i sometimes have trouble telling the difference between a 6 and a 8 in the current UI. Even if it is a matter of selecting one of the existing OS installed fonts.
  • blunted74blunted74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I never understood this whole "GUI burns my eyes" thing. I can understand preferring a different colour, but retinal damage?

When you walk down the street and see a red car or truck or even a red newspaper box, do you guys fall to the pavement and have a seizure or something?

To each their own I guess.
  • coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    blunted74 wrote: »
    I never understood this whole "GUI burns my eyes" thing. I can understand preferring a different colour, but retinal damage?

When you walk down the street and see a red car or truck or even a red newspaper box, do you guys fall to the pavement and have a seizure or something?
    :confused:

lol what? There's a difference in staring at a computer screen for an extended period of time vs seeing a passing car...

Hint: A reason the 3-D glasses with red filters fell from grace is because of the headaches they used to cause to some people with color sensitivity & migraine problems (there's more of them than you think)..

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
    edited September 2012
    Nobody said burns their eyes and it has zip to do with retinal damage, red trucks and mailboxes don't glow with the intense contrast in illumination being talked about here, so that analogy is way off. The red in the UI is difficult to focus on, the tiny muscles focusing the lens in the eyes get overworked and tired, hence eyestrain, the eyestrain leads to a headache, often painful. If you don't suffer from that, good for you, but don't diss people who aren't as lucky as you. I'm not a kid anymore, my eyes don't focus as well for me now in my 50s than they did when I was a teenager, any enjoyment I get from playing Klingon is immediately dispelled by the migraines I get after playing one for any length of time.
    There have been innumerable posts in these forums by people who can't stand the Klingon red, insulting these people and discouraging them from creating Klingon toons does nothing to help the cause of those players who so fervently insist that the KDF be given more attention by developers.
    Something needs to be done regarding the UI's failings that will satisfy both factions, and something certainly needs to be done to make the KDF more attractive to players if existing Klingon players ever hope to get more attention paid to the faction in game that they hold so dear.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • blunted74blunted74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nobody said burns their eyes and it has zip to do with retinal damage, red trucks and mailboxes don't glow with the intense contrast in illumination being talked about here, so that analogy is way off. The red in the UI is difficult to focus on, the tiny muscles focusing the lens in the eyes get overworked and tired, hence eyestrain, the eyestrain leads to a headache, often painful. If you don't suffer from that, good for you, but don't diss people who aren't as lucky as you. I'm not a kid anymore, my eyes don't focus as well for me now in my 50s than they did when I was a teenager, any enjoyment I get from playing Klingon is immediately dispelled by the migraines I get after playing one for any length of time.
    There have been innumerable posts in these forums by people who can't stand the Klingon red, insulting these people and discouraging them from creating Klingon toons does nothing to help the cause of those players who so fervently insist that the KDF be given more attention by developers.
    Something needs to be done regarding the UI's failings that will satisfy both factions, and something certainly needs to be done to make the KDF more attractive to players if existing Klingon players ever hope to get more attention paid to the faction in game that they hold so dear.

I guess i have super retinas then :D

I stare at the screen for hours without problems. However, I am all in favour of giving players more options. While the red doesnt bother me, if I had the option to change it, i probably would. Maybe just dull the reds a bit. While they dont hurt me, I can understand how they can be perceived as being too bold.
    edited September 2012
    LOL, super retinas, well I don't about that, X-ray vision could have some advantages though:cool:.
    I don't get headaches from the Fed blue but I think even that is overdone, I've minimized the hud to compensate but if they ever introduce color palette choices both the red and the blue are going bye bye.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Not another "it's to bright,dull,large,small... etc etc" thread. :rolleyes:

Klingon UI is red, Fed is blue,deal with it or look back at numerous other threads regarding this.
  • bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I want more red, that much more red that so I feel like bathing in the blood of my enemies :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Q: (framesplicerx) When will we get UI COLOR customization so I can finally play KDF with my IRL friends? They find the intense red UI extremely tough to view.

Dstahl: The UI team is looking at the HUD UI now to review and implement a better way to customize the UI. This may include color templates as well as an easier way to reposition trays and UI elements than the current system. There is no release date for this yet, but they are actively discussing upcoming changes such as this.

August 2012 Ask Cryptic

It seems likely that color customization would be included if the UI overhaul ever happens, as they are aware of the complaints.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    August 2012 Ask Cryptic

It seems likely that color customization would be included if the UI overhaul ever happens, as they are aware of the complaints.

Hey OP, see what he did :P
  • taithzerotaithzero Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I wish it was possible to change the GUI colour. I tried creating a KDF character and the red GUI made me ridiculously angry. My poor lumbering Gorn engineer only made it two short play sessions before I deleted him.
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tinead51 wrote: »
    Not another "it's to bright,dull,large,small... etc etc" thread. :rolleyes:

Klingon UI is red, Fed is blue,deal with it or look back at numerous other threads regarding this.

Except the only way to "deal with it" is to not play KDF for those who it affects more than just it being a preference. I played KDF properly a couple of days ago being Fed from beta and had a headache and nausea after ~30mins that I didn't get from playing Fed for hours. With other people they can't see the contrast between the allied red and the enemy yellow. Cryptic should make the UI be changeable in order for the KDF faction to be accessible.