test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's the rush?

cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
edited September 2012 in The Academy
Based on this thread, the other side of the coin to leveling is ... what's the rush?

I do understand some basic ideas: the higher the level, the more you can do.

But I'm also reading a lot of complaints about how there's little to do at "the end".

So, why try to get there so fast?

Admittedly, the post linked above asks how to get through level 10 quickly because it's a slow crawl. Maybe that's meant for experienced players because they've gone through it once already?

As a new player, I'm slowly getting it done myself. I don;t have hours to devote to the game weekly for various reasons and maybe my lack of play time is forcing me to temper what I am doing or going through in-game. I guess I think the journey is more important than the destination here.

Thoughts?
Post edited by cmdrscarlet on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Everyone has different reasons. PvPers want to get to end-game PvP because there's more people there to PvP with.

Some people just want to get there quick so they can say they got there quick: "Hey! Look at me! I made it to VA in 6 hours!"

And, as you said, some people just don't want to go through the grind again.

It takes all types to make up a gaming community. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The way the game is structured, nearly all content scales to the endgame - so in PVE terms, levels are largely a mechanism to get better ships.

If anything, leveling faster might extend the endgame depending on how you get there, since you'll have more story missions left. That doesn't help the total content level of the game, of course, just to illustrate that taking it slow or fast really doesn't make a huge difference.
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The most simple explanations are probably the desire to get to endgame, the flexibility of what's at endgame, and access to better ships and abilities - and of course, strength. While some do mention that they miss their older ships, at least on occasion, fleet ships have reduced this to some extent, and it's hard to argue with extra weapons/better turn rate/more armor/more consoles/etc.

Plus the proverbial carrots are pretty strong while leveling, in my experience.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I also have to ask the begged question "why rush?"

I buy that cool Cmdr or Captain c store ship, only to hit Vice Admiral 2 days later. The good part is having every specialty console I guess. I wants my T5 shipss my Precious.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • jonbrejonbre Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think the "why rush?" question is a valid one.

I have three characters - all Admirals, and I've been to the endgame once. I decided with this last character that I would level him with 90% non-campaign-progressing missions, such as patrol missions, and STF's. Now he's a Vice Admiral and just getting into the Romulan campaign.

I want to stop and smell the roses, and when I finally arrive at endgame, I want a ship that's top shelf through and through, with Boffs and Doffs that run it like a boss. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eline: "The rest of us have been gone a thousand years. If you remember what we were, and how we lived, then we'll have found life again." / Picard: "Eline..."
    Eline: "Now we live in you. Tell them of us... my darling." -The Inner Light
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jonbre wrote: »
    I think the "why rush?" question is a valid one.

Nope, INVALID !

The ONLY way to slow down the levelling process is NOT TO PLAY.

I've levelled a federation admiral in 6 weeks from Captain and ONLY did the lore and daily foundry missions, and NEVER once left SOL system.

I levelled an entire new KDF toon in a week without even trying.

There is NO way to stop the levelling, but if you dont upgrade your ship/weapons you'll quickly be outclassed by the A.I. that matches your toon level.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Admittedly, the post linked above asks how to get through level 10 quickly because it's a slow crawl. Maybe that's meant for experienced players because they've gone through it once already?

Or maybe it's meant for people who are sick of flying a redshirt-tier ship and want to get into a craft that's worthy of a player character. Every time I think about rolling a new toon, I cringe at the thought of having to waste 10 whole levels limping along in the puny, obsolete afterthought of a ship that is the Miranda class.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.