test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fan Art Challenge #2 Discussion Thread

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Fan Art Challenge #2 : Ships
This is the comments thread for Fan Art Challenge #2 : Ships.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can take this feedback into consideration for the next challenge!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    We are liable to see some of the Design The Next Enterprise art again!
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Great contest idea! I'll grab some screenshots tomorrow.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Do screenshots even count as original work? You arranged it, sure, but every resource is actually something Cryptic made.
  • x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Do screenshots even count as original work? You arranged it, sure, but every resource is actually something Cryptic made.

I personally find pure screenshots not to count for much. But the rule itself I take to mean to not use other people's work in the sense of other people's screenshots or resources from outside the game that you didn't create.

I do a fair bit of manipulation using multiple screenshots and some effects to make the images look "Better" than the game allows.
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I like the double nacelles on that Excelsior (post #14).

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm a little sad to see that most of the entries are screen shots as well. Granted that yes, Photographs CAN be art, but being an art challenge it doesn't seem that challenging to just hit print screen a few hundred times then grab the right one. Granted any thing i draw looks horrible, but you know what? At least i did it by hand (and again, i shows because holy TRIBBLE i'm terrible lol)
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm a little sad to see that most of the entries are screen shots as well. Granted that yes, Photographs CAN be art, but being an art challenge it doesn't seem that challenging to just hit print screen a few hundred times then grab the right one. Granted any thing i draw looks horrible, but you know what? At least i did it by hand (and again, i shows because holy TRIBBLE i'm terrible lol)
    I thought:
    Hello and welcome to another edition of our Fan Art challenges! :cool: Since this is only the second one, please make sure to read the rules below. Also, feel free to post feedback about the rules/ challenge in the discussion thread linked below, as well as themes that you would like to see in the future.

Today we start the four-week run of the second Fan Art Challenge: Ships
    Create Fan Art that shows off and depicts one of your in-game ships of either faction, or one from each. Feel free to choose the setting (e.g. docked, in combat, in orbit, at warp, under construction etc.) you would like.
    Thats why i changed my entry. My previously post was a design study of a Federation ship. I changed it because of what pwebranflakes wrote.

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • cakeballscakeballs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    oops discarded
  • kyrandmankyrandman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would like to say that Cakeballs has outdone himself on his entry. Stylish and Classy all the way!
  • cakeballscakeballs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    That watercolor was hilarious. Hilarity vs satire. That's quite a magnificent combo.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for all the discussion! Feel free to continue to discuss, or even post your image if you have not already, but I am going to unstick this as I prepare to post #3.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=