test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

EPS Flow Regulator

sonulinu2sonulinu2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in The Academy
Sorry for covering this old topic but I seem to be finding contradictory information, or at least info thats confusing to me.

According to STOWiki, "The EPS Flow Regulator is an Engineering Console that improves the power transfer rate between systems and recharge rates of a ship's power levels. It is helpful in recovering from power loss caused by a beam overload or full impulse."

Does this also mean that when I go full broadside on my cruiser beam boat and the power drops below 100, the EPS Flow Regulator brings it back up to 100(+) faster? Or better yet, mitigates the drop in power level?

If this was the case it would seem rather helpful for a beam boat, but I see lots of forum posts say its a wasted console space. Im confused.
Post edited by sonulinu2 on

Comments

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    no, the discription is pretty clear, there is just a lot of misinformation around.
    there is also on engineering captain ability that profits from it. the one that increases all power levels...with the EPS console the power levels increase faster.

console is only usefull if you switch between powerlevels often (in PVP when you are under heavy fire you wanna switch to increased shield power)
    and if you use beam overload, to get your weapon power to max level twice as fast, but an EPtW can do that too.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Originally yes they made a difference in the speed of power recovery and transfer between systems, as of S2 they were made so useless (in the sense you need to stack so many to make a noticeable difference) that its better to run Emergency Power to: Weapons, Shields, Aux or Engine I, II or III and cycle as needed between I and II or II and III.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    kattarnkattarn Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I can say that having 2 of those in my beam boat ( a D'kora) help me a lot with broadside recovery, te power goes up faster than no equiping any lot of people say otherwhise but i
    found that not only observing the power levels but runing combatlogs and comparing them with 0,1 and 2 eps flow regulators and the final damage and dps are enhanced increasing EPS flow, furthermore you can switch from a attack to defense to heal setup in no time which i guess is vital.
  • Options
    asraschaalasraschaal Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    EPS Flow Regulator does not help with power drain from weapon recovery. The way it works now is the drain happens when you fire your weapons and when the firing cycle of the weapons are done your power returns to original levels. You can easily test this by going into some easy scenario fire your weapon and watch ur power levels go back once ur weapons are done firing. Here are the links to reference what I am saying.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=160696

"Weapon Energy Drain Mechanic Changes

The weapon energy drain mechanic will be changing once this build goes to Holodeck. Weapon Power drain is now instantly refunded at the end of a weapon’s firing cycle, instead of a slow return as was previously implemented. Multiple weapons being fired at the same time will still produce a significant drain and will affect their damage proportionately, but once the weapons stop firing, the weapon power level will immediately return to normal.

This change was primarily inspired by player feedback - specifically on the topic of the energy drain caused by firing multiple bursts of energy weapons. Players may now fire all of their energy weapons repeatedly burst after burst, but the damage for each weapon is still diminished during the firing cycle.

As a result of this change to the energy drain mechanic, the EPS Flow Regulator Station Mods, will no longer have an effect on DPS. They will continue to function to improve power transfer rates between different systems."

As you can see there is a lot of old information out there and like the poster above me they still believe this console helps their energy drain from firing weapons when it clearly does not and hasn't for over 2 years.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    kattarn wrote: »
    I can say that having 2 of those in my beam boat ( a D'kora) help me a lot with broadside recovery, te power goes up faster than no equiping any lot of people say otherwhise but i
    found that not only observing the power levels but runing combatlogs and comparing them with 0,1 and 2 eps flow regulators and the final damage and dps are enhanced increasing EPS flow, furthermore you can switch from a attack to defense to heal setup in no time which i guess is vital.

the problem is only, that the EPS console does not help you to recover weapon energy from normal beam fire...only from beam overload.
    Not only people say otherwise also the description does and atleast a dozen tests done by other people.
    It does however effect your powerlevels drastically when you switch powers to heal for instance.
    I'm not sure what you observed with your combat logs, but i can assure you those 2 EPS consoles are a complete waste if you are not using beam overload, or switching between powers constantly.

it is exactly that kind of misinformation that brought forth this post in the first place.

Also there is to consider, that if you spend 0 points in power distribution system, the console is worthless because it is a percentage based value. and 100% of 0 is still 0.

PS: D'kora beam boat, srsly? how much more gimping a potentially good offensive cruiser can there be?
    What's next? playing the fleet vor'cha as a heal cruiser?
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    maelwy5maelwy5 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    baudl wrote: »
    the problem is only, that the EPS console does not help you to recover weapon energy from normal beam fire...only from beam overload.

This.

There was some chatter a while back over whether the "extra shot" that you get from running BFAW is affected by EPS or not... I've never bothered to actually sit down and test this personally, but I suspect the extra shots work the same way as normal shots (reserves energy temporarilly rather than consuming it - whereas Beam Overload simply consumes it)
    [ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So is it worth having now?

kattarn what ship is that in you signature? I really like it, is that the new negvahr refit/variant?
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    EPS Consoles give no benefit fire energy weapon firing.

My advise would be to only use EPS Flow Regulators to speed up Power Transfer Rates if you are switching your power schemes (i.e. Offfense, Defense, Speed, etc) during combat. Or you like to charge into combat at Full Impluse and then open fire. Or if you use Beam Overload. In all cases, EPS consoles will give your a big benefit.
  • Options
    maelwy5maelwy5 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    raj011 wrote: »

No.

And whilst the poster above comes to the same conclusion, they are spouting classic misinformation regarding the mechanics of weapons power drain.

During the firing cycle, whilst your Weapon Energy is not at the maximum amount your ship does NOT try to rebuild the power at the Power Transfer Rate. There is no "restore time" - not even a tiny sliver of it. This is because no Weapons energy has been consumed or lost - just reserved.

It used to be the case that firing weapons consumed energy, and EPS flow regulators at that point in time did raise your DPS - having high EPS meant that you could constantly regenerate the weapons power that was being consumed by your weapons. This behaviour was changed a long time ago, by having weapons not "consume" but "reserve" weapons power.

The difference between energy being reserved and consumed/lost is a notable one, because energy can only regenerate if it is consumed/lost.

In a standard weapons firing cycle (No FAW, No BO) weapons power is currently reserved at the beginning of the weapons cycle. At the end of the cycle, this reserved energy is released again. Because the reserved energy is technically "still there" (albeit temporarilly unusable) you can't regenerate it.

The developers have stated outright that EPS Flow does not affect DPS any longer. From here - "As a result of this change to the energy drain mechanic, the EPS Flow Regulator Station Mods, will no longer have an effect on DPS. They will continue to function to improve power transfer rates between different systems."

You can see this happening if you shoot multiple beam arrays, beams have a long firing cycle of several seconds which makes it very easy to see power changes: when firing, you'll notice that your weapons power level dips down and remains at a a "settled" level until the firing cycle is finished. The power doesn't rebuild during the firing cycle no matter how many EPS consoles you slot, it remains constant until the first beam finishes firing.
    [ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    maelwy5 wrote: »
    No.

And whilst the poster above comes to the same conclusion, they are spouting classic misinformation regarding the mechanics of weapons power drain.

And you are absolutely right. I realized a flaw in my testing routines based upon another erroneous bit of information. AFfer restesting and adjusting for that bad information, EPS consoles provide absolutely no benefit for Weapon Firing Cycles.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Since these consoles are about 10000 ec for a mk xi rare you might as well buy them and try them and see for your self if it is good for your build. You can vender them after if you dont like then and be out maybe 5000 ec.

To me I find them useful but each build is different.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    they are usefull in exactly 3 situations: maelwy5 stated them already, but i want to list them again.

1.)if you use beam overload 2 or 3...BO1 drains much less power
    2.)if you charge into combat with full impulse on a regular bases
    3.)if you tend to switch between power levels regularely

if you can get your hands on the ferengi combat module, use that instead. adds 47% EPS and 11% torp and mine dmg and some 17 points to flow capacitor.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    raj011 wrote: »

kattarn what ship is that in you signature? I really like it, is that the new negvahr refit/variant?

D-70/ Khin'Vagh Class battleship i like she too :D
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    baudl wrote: »
    This.

Not only people say otherwise also the description does and atleast a dozen tests done by other people.
    It does however effect your powerlevels drastically when you switch powers to heal for instance.
    I'm not sure what you observed with your combat logs, but i can assure you those 2 EPS consoles are a complete waste if you are not using beam overload, or switching between powers constantly.

it is exactly that kind of misinformation that brought forth this post in the first place.

Also there is to consider, that if you spend 0 points in power distribution system, the console is worthless because it is a percentage based value. and 100% of 0 is still 0.

PS: D'kora beam boat, srsly? how much more gimping a potentially good offensive cruiser can there be?
    What's next? playing the fleet vor'cha as a heal cruiser?

Kattarn@Peliagus If you want to see this D?kora beam boat in action just pm me in game and we can do a 1vs1 anytime :cool:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    kattarn wrote: »
    Kattarn@Peliagus If you want to see this D?kora beam boat in action just pm me in game and we can do a 1vs1 anytime :cool:

yeah why not, probably a stalemate anyway.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    dollacdollac Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I did some testing on my D'kora with Beam Overload III and without using the Beam Overload. In the case of not using it there was not difference in recharge speed of the beam weapons after firing. Using an EPS console with +65% Power Transfer Rate I only achieved a 5% quicker recovery time over using the Beam Overload without the EPS Console. In all test with and without the above listed EPS console I did have my Ferengi D'Kora Rule 62 Console equipped which has a +45.8% Power Transfer Rate so that was in the baseline recovery time.

So yes it does help if you use Beam Overload (as I do) but the benefit is not worth the spot on my ship as I do not go into battle at full speed and I do not switch the power levels presets. I personal use Emergency Power to Shields (EPTS) with a +XX.X% to Shield Power Setting for 30 seconds and Hazard emitters with a +XX.X All Damage Resistance Rating for 15 seconds to slow down the damage taken versus having to switch to a maximum shield power level setting to heal them.

-- I am off topic now --

The reason that I do not power level change to heal shields is for my shields I have invested in Starship: Shield Performance, Starship: Warp Core Potential and Starship: Warp Core Efficiency that gives me a Shield Power Setting of 72 when set at 50 (UI Display: 72/50). I have invested in EPTS I and II when one is used it sets off the timer for the second one at 30 seconds and the one just used for 45 seconds so as long as you press the buttons you will always have a EMPTS active to bring your Shields Power Setting (for me) to 96/50 or 103/50.

This translates into Shield Generation (SG) of 284 or 312. For comparison an unmodified 50/50 Shield Power Setting has a SG of 100 and a 125/50 Shield Power Setting (game max) has a SG of 400.

Nagus of The Ferengi Confederation.