test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Federation Starbase Improvements

lightofthesun1lightofthesun1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hello!

So I am posting a topic here after a game spokesman suggested I also present my issue to the community for their feedback.

Lounge: The seats along the wall are nearly impossible to sit in. The glass comes down to slow that we players can't sit on them through emotes. Nor can we click on parts of them. This leaves my fleet at gatherings very little options on places to sit or gather. In fact players end up sitting on the floor. We spent 200k in dilithium for seating we can't actually use. I wouldn't mind if the glass was raised a little.

Tables and Chairs: Federation starbases definitely have a lack of seating as stated above. I've recently peeked into the KDF starbase and noticed they had chairs and tables on every deck. With the lack of tables and chairs outside the lounge, it makes it a bit inconvenient for fleet meetings.

Tactical LCARS: This was brought up to me by another player the consoles throughout the station don't remotely look Federation. It's as if the starbase isn't Starfleet in the least bit.

With that said, I'm encouraging others to add their input and hoping the Development team will take this post into consideration. :)
Post edited by lightofthesun1 on

Comments

• Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I am in the same fleet as the OP and I find the lack of seating to be an issue sometimes.

Devs, can we get a minor code tweak please? Not asking for a whole lot here, just reposition the chairs/tables like you did with the Enterprise History screens.
  • Options
    sjbrexsjbrex Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I totally agree with this, the chairs are in awkward places, and there is a distinct lack of seating in the OPS section, which on Fed bases is far more like a civilian concourse. The science deck is the only part of the station which looks to make any sense as a Starfleet station.

Personally, I would say the entire OPS deck needs to be redone first, moving the actual starbase OPS into the large area, not some area off the side. Then maybe to update the Tactical deck so it hasn't been lifted out of a Klingon listening post.

I understand that would be a lot of work, but it is needed to make the starbase at least start to look like a starbase.
  • Options
    seleeahseleeah Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This!
    A thousand times this!
    Details like this really affect the immersiveness of the environment.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    sjbrex wrote: »
    I understand that would be a lot of work, but it is needed to make the starbase at least start to look like a starbase.

Ops needs to be more like Ops on Deep Space Nine. consoles and workstations in the actual operations area not on separate levels.

Like the bridge of a starship really. Seperate Engineering deck with a reactor or something... Science labs on another deck and the main weapons room for Tactical.

Long-term rework for sure.

Right now I'd settle for functional chairs and benches.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hello!

So I am posting a topic here after a game spokesman suggested I also present my issue to the community for their feedback.

Lounge: The seats along the wall are nearly impossible to sit in. The glass comes down to slow that we players can't sit on them through emotes. Nor can we click on parts of them. This leaves my fleet at gatherings very little options on places to sit or gather. In fact players end up sitting on the floor. We spent 200k in dilithium for seating we can't actually use. I wouldn't mind if the glass was raised a little.

Tables and Chairs: Federation starbases definitely have a lack of seating as stated above. I've recently peeked into the KDF starbase and noticed they had chairs and tables on every deck. With the lack of tables and chairs outside the lounge, it makes it a bit inconvenient for fleet meetings.

This - the base itself needs an epic conference room with good seating, some consoles with chairs (even the galaxy bridge consoles from the Starbase in Celes patrol would be an improvement)

Tactical LCARS: This was brought up to me by another player the consoles throughout the station don't remotely look Federation. It's as if the starbase isn't Starfleet in the least bit.

This as well - given the fed bases are frankenmaps that are just pieced together from various missions - the least could be done is change the consoles from the klingon-base-tactical area

With that said, I'm encouraging others to add their input and hoping the Development team will take this post into consideration. :)

Also - PLEASE give us a console to open/close the roof windows (the fleets that completed room with a view) as is in the TOS connie bridge.

Also on my personal wishlist - make it so there's ships flying around outside when you are IN the base.. make it feel alive.. have communication chatter in the background .. NPCs that look like theyre having conversations and not just walking around aimlessly.
  • Options
    manofstijlmanofstijl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Just rename the current Fed OPS deck 'Concourse' and the current Tac deck OPS. PROBLEM SOLVED. Kind of.
  • Options
    centralplexus1centralplexus1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Definitely have to back up the OP here, lack of seating a serious issue. Would love to see Tactical LCARS too.
  • Options
    cpthardcovercpthardcover Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Seating, LCARs unification, actually making Ops look like Ops instead of an arrivals lounge... I would love to see all of these.
  • Options
    jonralenjonralen Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have to say, going to a KDF starbase for the first time really showed up how poor the fed one was in comparison. The KDF version made more sense, made better use of different elevations, felt more lived in even without special projects, and in general just felt Klingony. Fed bases are rather bland in comparison, even with special projects.

An overhaul would be great... but for some simple changes: More seats would be great. Even better, a conference area, rather than just places suited to going on a date. Toggled tribbles, rather than temporarily switched off. And simplest and most effective of all, new carpet for eng deck, rather than the current vomit/snot green.
  • Options
    elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If the concept is that player star bases are to be mini thoroughfares like ESD then the seating/chair and basic layout makes sense. If that is the case they were designed well.

However, I believed the players that wanted them, wanted a place for their characters to feel at home/work. In this regard they lack greatly.

I know it would be alot to have designed and programmed but they could have taken a page from the Champions Online Hideouts/STO Bridges page and have different types to earn/choose from.

Shoot, Federation star bases feel (and are) tiny compared to KDF ones. It's disconcerting.

But I'm off topic. I'm a big advocate of sittable chairs. Please someone with the ability fix the chairs/Ops design.

Thanks.
  • Options
    korzan1korzan1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This! Would be good to see!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I want to second that call for a way to disable the Tribbles. Tribbles are basically rats... and now we have RATS all over the ops deck. VERY unprofessional looking.
  • Options
    red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't think "lived in" is something that's realistically going to happen for Fed bases. Their motif since TNG has been extremely technologically up-to-date, clean, etc. Whereas KDF stuff tends to look like it's the basement of a factory. This is appropriate for the "if it works use it" culture of the Klingons, but probably not the Federation.

That said, although the starbases look nice, they don't feel truly... complete, I suppose you could say. Personally I think Ops is fine -- as a lobby.

It is not good for a command center for an entire starbase.

I think two arguments could be made for the reason why ops is the way it is:

1) Operations in a starbase are much more diffuse. DS9, our ONLY really in-depth look at how a space station runs in the Star Trek universe, had Ops as its bridge analog, but was radically different from most starbases (and in fact, if I recall correctly, did not, in fact, have starbase-grade facilities, at least for most of its run). Therefore such centralized command is not really as necessary - or feasible - as with a starship.

2) We have never seen just how a starbase runs. What little non-canon information we do have, however, suggests starbases are truly enormous undertakings with hundreds of levels and tens to hundreds of thousands of inhabitants. And... not much else, really. So who's to say it doesn't work like that?

There are also arguments that some of the vital functions (e.g. Officer of the Watch) are best placed in Ops so that people don't have to run around the whole base to get to him.

These are all good points. But I think that, while the internal environment is good, it can be improved upon, particularly without throwing away the work that's already been put into it.

My personal thoughts are these:

1) The "concourse" feel is definitely appropriate for an entrance area. I could see that as a VIP welcoming area in the starbase command complex. So the current look and feel for Ops does not need to be removed, although it does need to be repurposed.

2) Ops - as in the function of ops (that is to say the command center) - DOES need to have it's own separate level. Thus far I think the central room of the military level is probably the most appropriate for this, although I'd like to see something more unique - we've seen this base room in probably a half-dozen FE's, and while it's perfectly fine as a base command center for several generic Klingon bases, I would like to think that a Fed starbase - "your" starbase - would warrant something a bit different.

It might actually be better to redivide the starbase's level functions along these lines:

- Reception - current ops. You have the bar, small command areas, etc.
    - Research and Development - Replaces/augments the "science" level.
    - Command level - military level replacement. Features a large command center that would have primary strategic command and likely operational command in a large joint command center. I think the best way to pattern this would be to hybridize the Star Cruiser and/or Sovereign bridge sets with the Odyssey class.
    - Operations - replacement for the current engineering level. I would imagine that it might be best to have a different central "engineering" room, as I can't see a central warp core as being the primary source of a starbase's power (likely several of them in concert with numerous fusion generators). However, I could also see an argument that engineering functions, unlike a ship, would be VERY diffuse (generators scattered all over the starbase), so just showing us the "biggest" one might be a good idea.

3) As a note about LCARS - as I recall, most controls simply do not follow the standard LCARS interface. So while I'd like to see it, I'm pretty sure that we're not going to, because a lot of the rest of the game doesn't have it.

4) Officer of the Watch and other functions can somehow be accessible from the command center as well, although the precise form it would take (perhaps a situation room connected to the central command center?) is not something that I can think of right this second.

In any case these are mostly just my thoughts. I am aware that some of these (most?) are unrealistic, perhaps, but I thought I ought to toss it out there in case any wandering environmental designers might think it worth looking at.

Disclaimer: Very tired right now, thought I ought to just toss out my thoughts on this.
  • Options
    thisisoverlordthisisoverlord Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Really I can't add too much more to what has already been said, and I really only skimmed over the last post (tl;dr)

However one would assume that the paramount function of the Starbase interior is to facilitate fleet gatherings.

I've just started an RP fleet, as it grows I would definitely be wanting to use the Starbase for the primary function of meetings, inductions etc.

As it stands on my starship the ready room has 3 seats which can be clicked on to get your character to sit on them. Now why can this simple already implemented function not be replicated in a conference room with say 20 - 40 seats and a table? :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    mattimeo97mattimeo97 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The real quandary is: How many hundreds of thousands of dilithium are you willing to part with for these changes? I imagine a blast shutter toggle option takes a few hours of dev time to work up, so there has to be enough Zen sold to cover it and make profit.

Look for the special projects, "Room Without a View," "Sit in a High Chair," "Function Follows Form," and "The Great Starfleet Tribble Hunt," in the coming weeks. 200k dilithium per, limited time only.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    mattimeo97 wrote: »
    The real quandary is: How many hundreds of thousands of dilithium are you willing to part with for these changes? I imagine a blast shutter toggle option takes a few hours of dev time to work up, so there has to be enough Zen sold to cover it and make profit.

Look for the special projects, "Room Without a View," "Sit in a High Chair," "Function Follows Form," and "The Great Starfleet Tribble Hunt," in the coming weeks. 200k dilithium per, limited time only.

Ha,

With the chairs, That really is functionality that requires no development at all as they have it implemented in the Captains ready room already.

I'm not really getting why they failed to do it for Starbases.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    They could roll all of these up in one "Starbase Overhaul Package" and charge us 200K dilth for it.

I would have no problem with that.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    themarie wrote: »
    They could roll all of these up in one "Starbase Overhaul Package" and charge us 200K dilth for it.

I would have no problem with that.

I'd have a problem with them charging dilithium for a feature request that requires no development time, i.e. having sitable chairs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #2311#2700#2316#2500