test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

a tiny question

lowestlvllowestlvl Member Posts: 699 Arc User
was working on a foundry mission and ran into a bit of a snag.

i wanted to use the adv. dialog to do a pass / fail. so option A. you move on with the misison. option B. makes it a failed mission. the two thing i have found is.

1a. you cant do this via the adv dialog box
1b. you can do this via a map adv dialog box..... kinda which leads to number 2

2. if you use 1b the next part loads thus making the whole pass / fail moot

is there a way to get it to actually work:confused:
There is no QA there is only ZUUL
called out the bs and got BANNED. and i would gladly do it again.
Post edited by lowestlvl on

Comments

• nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    No, you can't make a mission actually fail. You can make a dialogue option fail so that the person has to try again, but the mission cannot actually end in failure.
  • muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Here's one workaround.

Example: You need passcodes to turn off forcefield to get off the ship.

Dialogue gives you branch answers- one right code and one wrong.

1. Choose the right code in the console and the game progresses by having forcefield disappear. You go to the door and continue game.
    2. Choose the wrong code in the console and the console blows up (make console disappera and put in fire/explosion fx). Then a dialogue pops up saying that you're stuck on the ship and life support is offline. Then 'out of character' color dialgue says -You failed. Please drop this mission and try again.

For the console, you'll have to set up two different 'interact with objects' One for wrong code and one for right.

You also have to make the console part within the map and not story tree. It can't be part of the mission, but an optional side mission. Since the forcefield will block you from continuing on in the game, blowing up the console and the 'interact with object' choice for the right answer literally keeps the player from advancing. They will literally fail the mission.

Word of advice though- Most players as far as I can see don't like the option to fail a mission- especially a Foundry one. I've seen other authors do it and their reviews were less than kind.

But I hope that helps.
  • ufpdewolfeufpdewolfe Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You can indeed use those kinds of techniques, but failure does not mean you have to force the player to drop the mission. You can expand other ways for the player to continue the story.

With the dialogs (not the story required ones) you can make branching dialog appear depending on what the players have done.

For example in a mission I am working on. I am having a communication between a potential hostile ship, while the player is on a bridge. Depending on which way they go with the dialog they will either talk their way out of a fight, or engage in combat with associated battle effects and consoles exploding around them on the bridge.

This gives the appearance of branching mission objectives, but technically it is not really as far as the foundry works. Regardless of how you deal with that ship, the story continues.
  • unsctrekman1unsctrekman1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is there a tutorial that shows, step by step, how one would accomplish this? Especially with the new way the Foundry 0.8 is doing things with objects. I'm open to having someone help show me via skype or email also, if that is possible.

Or, even taking screenshots and posting here.

The exact thing I'm looking to do, is create a mission where the warp core needs recalibrated, and if the containment field is improperly calibrated it collapses, and the mission ends faster than expected.
    If the field is calibrated properly, the mission proceeds normally.

I'd like details on how to specifically accomplish this, either through dialog boxes or object interactions.

The issue I most run into, is I cannot make a Dialog into a Fail, and when I use more than one object interaction, they either must be done in tandom, or in sequence, not "one or the other"... meaning I cant use console A OR console B, I have to use either Console A, or Console A AND B, and the mission continues normally. I'm lost. :P

Anything would be helpful. Reach me on skype @ unsc_trekman or through trekmanalpha@gmail.com

Thanks a lot folks.