test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ok, I have an idea to pitch out there, use it if you like Cryptic...

If you do Romulan gameplay the point of making them significantly different from KDF and Fed forces is a good one. Perhaps by making them NOT de-cloak to interact with things (IE they can use sensors, and answer bridge officers etc, maybe even fire the initial barrage from cloak and use a placate to re-cloak), would reflect they're abilities in the TNG episodes and especially the OST episodes quite well. The Romulans aren't masters of war, they're the masters of Stealth in Space... they're cloaking devices have always been considered more advanced then the Klingons and certainly more advanced then the prototype they gave the federation for use in DS9 (If I were them it would have been a prototype six generations or so behind what I was using currently).

Make them the Masters of Stealth, the way to hide in plain sight. This means a few of they're episodes may be based on stealth completion of objectives rather then space or ground combat, but that's cause they are the Romulans, and that is how they operate.
  • sechserpackungsechserpackung Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    -Home Sector with home system
    -Starbase
    -DOFF system
    -characters and costums in the database
    -character traits
    -3 Ships
    -Integration into current STF system
    -Integration into Fleetmark matches
    -Basic Dilithium Missions (non storymode)

This is what I came up with as minimum requirement for a Romulan Faction that starts at lvl 50. (And I am sure I forgot something)

The first two to three points alone (when looking at the current progress and content per season) would take a season for themselves. So a minimum of two seasons would be required to get a playable romulan faction out there with nearly nothing else the way I see it, well, except for lockboxes :P.

As such I am highly surprised that so many people that post here actually think they could get what they want (Playable romulan faction) so easily and then react negatively when Dstahl tries to let them down gently.

Now, what might be possible would be something like one character option (Romulan -> Male/Female) with nearly no costume options, one ship and five to ten missions for lvl 1-10 as well as a tutorial. That, to me, sounds far easier to do than what would be required for an endgame faction and could be built up on over time. (Though I admit that I might be wrong)
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    teleon22 wrote: »
    Dan, as you can see for yourself, the playable Romulans option in the Polling are approaching a third of the population of all those who voted in the poll. However, what does Playable Romulans mean Dan?

I get the strong feeling that you are, intentionally or not, misleading all of us who believe that playable Romulans means a faction all of their own similar to that of the KDF faction.

So can you clear up this likely misdirection so that the community has some real insight as to what Cryptic s means by: Playable Romulans? I think the community here has the right to know whether or not you guys envision a half faction like the KDF or something entirely different. Like something as little as a playable Romulan race for the KDF or Federation; along with a ship or two.

I hope you understand that many of those who voted do not simply want Romulan Ships and toons available as Federation or as KDF; and if you think that is what we want? why not take a poll and ask these very basic questions? I know you won?t do that because at least this way you have an out in saying, ?we never said a Romulan Faction!? So I?m calling you out on this likely misdirection Dan!

Tell us strait up that you that you don?t really mean a Faction but something entirely different than what we all are being allowed to believe. At least this way you can head off some outrage later down the road?

Am I making any sense here Dan? I sure hope so!

Please also put me down as being concerned about misdirection. I know in your one post Mr. Stahl you seemed to indicate that you are starting to understand what many of us want
    dastahl wrote: »
    Similarly, there are many players who would like to play as a Romulan, but don't want that experience to be as simple as a "playable species". Playing a Romulan should mean your own story and agenda, your own ships, and your own experience.

But I remain nervous. I don't have problems with SOME Romulans wanting to join either the Federation or KDF, I'm sure that unlock could bring in some money, but when a lot of us voted playable Romulans, we want to serve the Empire. We want to be the ones remembered in history as the ones who stepped up to guide the Empire back to its former glory after its darkest hour. We want D'Deridex Warbirds and Scimitars and Mogais/Valdores. We don't want Defiants and Odysseys and Sovereigns and Negh Vars and Bortases. And before someone jumps down my throat for saying 'we' I don't mean EVERYONE, I mean others like me only who want and don't want these things. It's easier to say 'we' than it is to get all politically correct and try to use a different form.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • mattigsmattigs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    well, it does seem to be leading toward playable romulans. But I had to vote for more episodes. I remember way back when, before perfect world bought this game, they would relase new content, and it would be awesome. now it seems that they are happy with the content as it is now....I want new episodes.
  • calicowallcalicowall Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I voted to improve exploration.

I haven't been playing all that long, and the cannon Star Trek universe it starting to seem pretty claustrophobic... I think that it's been scaled down just little too much.

Don't mistake me, I'm not trying to knock the Developers here. Some things are kind of bugging me though; why aren't there more types of interiors for space station missions? More than 3/4 of the ones I've played through have been identically styled with only different layouts.

Am I the only one thinking this?
    [echo] Ninjas... Druids... Right?! [/echo]
  • romulanforcesromulanforces Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    robeasom wrote: »
    Don't think Remus would want to be left out of the empire and I doubt the romulans would want to leave there slave labour force of remans go either

After the storyline that has already been released in the feature episodes, I don't really think Reman's would want to be under Romulan rule anymore. Furthermore, the Romulans in exile on the far side of the Beta Quadrant (in my story), have no Remans present. I also don't think the Romulans on a whole have the time or resources to waste trying to contain further Reman uprisings.

The new Romulan Empire will be built by Romulans who want to rebuild the Empire. They will do whatever it takes and sacrifice their comforts knowing that it is their empire and they helped in rebuilding it.

Here's an idea:

So... what if Romulans started off as a member of either faction (an extra race for both) and after the tutorials - say, level 10 (and in my opinion unrestricted, never locked level 1 MUST be added to the Klingons if they are ever going to have similar numbers to the feds - thinking about new players) or level 15 or 20, had the option to rejoin - or not (a one time non-reversable option) - the RSE? The next login would have their character transferred to the Romulan faction. This would mean that you would be a Romulan without the need for the devs to make low level missions and would go some way toward fitting in with the storyline.

On that, and as an aside, I would also like to (eventually) see Class/Race specific missions - for all classes/races in all factions, and this would also allow for a 'RSE Rebirth' story tree unique to Romulan characters.

[Edit] I see that many have already put forward something like this - take this as a seconding of those ideas :D

This would work for Romulans stuck on the colonies or for Romulan military who were cutoff and had to link up with Fed to survive. But not an option for an independent faction - well, within my storyline anyway.

I believe that the Garidians could actually be a good choice as an ally to the Romulans. They were like an albino offshoot of Romulans. I think that once you get to say level 40, you could posssibly receive Garidians, Remans & Vulcan Isolationists.

But your character choice could start as Romulan Military, Tal Shiar, or Ex-Borg Romulan.
    RomulanCapital2154.jpg
  • grimchargrimchar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I do often wonder if anyone at Perfect World, or Cryptic for that matter, has actually watched a Star Trek episode or movie or even read one of the novels. Paramount is apparently not paying attention. I have too often seen a lack of understanding about how things work in the Star Trek universe.
  • trekkiegaltrekkiegal Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    How about an Odyssey class Bridge to go with my free Odyssey class starship. I'll pay Zen for that rather then buy another Odyssey class Starship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    grimchar wrote: »
    I do often wonder if anyone at Perfect World, or Cryptic for that matter, has actually watched a Star Trek episode or movie or even read one of the novels. Paramount is apparently not paying attention. I have too often seen a lack of understanding about how things work in the Star Trek universe.

Amen to that brother.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    regarding the decloak of ships. not played my klingons for a while and my feds have been cloakless,

BUT..... is this at all connected to this issue....

communication... which is also normally from bridge officers bring your ship to a halt.
    prime example infected space elite. when the cube and the 2 spheres are destroyed at the veery begining .your ship stops moving when your bridge offer wants have a little chat when mission updates. any thoughts on a connection?? with this cloak bug?? it's unlikly any 1 would be cloaked at this time so soon after combat. hence my thinking of a connection with the 2 issues.
    edited September 2012
    grimchar wrote: »

the devs watch star trek alot. some are crazy fans like the rest of us. if you look in dev tracker then you'll see 'the journey' posts where they have watched that episode that week. at least thats what i always thought was going on.
  • caltircaltir Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    They 'forgot' to ask if players want a PvP conquer/defend area (because they do) - the thing that very many players still can't wait to receive, and which is as basic, clear and obvious in a Klingon/Fed conflict multiplayer game as the multiplication rate of tribbles on the K-7 Station.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    the devs watch star trek alot. some are crazy fans like the rest of us. if you look in dev tracker then you'll see 'the journey' posts where they have watched that episode that week. at least thats what i always thought was going on.
    If that's true then i have no explaination for some completely un-trekkish game mechanics and design mistakes.

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    After the storyline that has already been released in the feature episodes, I don't really think Reman's would want to be under Romulan rule anymore. Furthermore, the Romulans in exile on the far side of the Beta Quadrant (in my story), have no Remans present. I also don't think the Romulans on a whole have the time or resources to waste trying to contain further Reman uprisings.

The new Romulan Empire will be built by Romulans who want to rebuild the Empire. They will do whatever it takes and sacrifice their comforts knowing that it is their empire and they helped in rebuilding it.

Firstly while you do have some outstanding ideas for a Romulan faction, there is no guarantee that Cryptic would adopt something similar. Knowing Cryptic they probably already have their own plans and ideas, which would only change depending on CBS and the approval process.
    This would work for Romulans stuck on the colonies or for Romulan military who were cutoff and had to link up with Fed to survive. But not an option for an independent faction - well, within my storyline anyway.

I believe that the Garidians could actually be a good choice as an ally to the Romulans. They were like an albino offshoot of Romulans. I think that once you get to say level 40, you could posssibly receive Garidians, Remans & Vulcan Isolationists.

But your character choice could start as Romulan Military, Tal Shiar, or Ex-Borg Romulan.

Getting to the point of this post, having a faction with only one species would be totally boring and not everyone would want to play a Romulan. Forcing people to play as a Romulan would be like forcing all KDF players to have a Klingon or everyone in the Federation to be a Human. One of the MMO's core principles to me is customisation, choice and development of a character. Forcing one species on a player would probably discourage and drive away players more than anything. If anything the Romulan faction would have to have at least 5 species along with Alien and Ex-Borg Romulan. That is what the KDF has, and even there some find it a little sparse.

I would suggest that if the RSE did go ahead the included races could be:
    1. Romulan
    2. Garidian
    3. Reman
    4. Hirogen
    5. Unknown 5th Species (Perhaps another Romulan offshoot species)
    6. Alien
    7. Liberated Romulan Borg

I would not be overaly fond of Vulcans in the RSE, they share a mutual mistrust and only Spock according to the series was working on the Unification with Romulan supporters.

Truth be told if a Romulan faction was done after the KDF was fixed up, I wouldn't play a Romulan unless they had some really good traits, probably on par with the OP Federation Human Leadership trait. I am much more interested in the Remans, Garidians and Hirogen tbh.
    yreodred wrote: »
    If that's true then i have no explaination for some completely un-trekkish game mechanics and design mistakes.

Live long and prosper.

Some things would have to no doubt be changes for the MMO environment like the new multicultural Klingon Empire as a good example. Some however I do agree with you on. The Federation seems a little too gun-ho it feels more like the 23rd century with Kirk than the 25th.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    yreodred wrote: »

Live long and prosper.

That's because this is A) A videogame and B) An MMO.

Videogames are mostly shoot/stab/kill this, and MMO's are mostly shoot/stab/kill this, and bring me back X number of their body parts. :D

People usually tend to complain when games are slow paced, focus on story, have puzzles, Etc. Cause it tends to get in the way of the action. But if any game could use less action, it would be this one. :P
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Getting to the point of this post, having a faction with only one species would be totally boring and not everyone would want to play a Romulan. Forcing people to play as a Romulan would be like forcing all KDF players to have a Klingon or everyone in the Federation to be a Human. One of the MMO's core principles to me is customisation, choice and development of a character. Forcing one species on a player would probably discourage and drive away players more than anything. If anything the Romulan faction would have to have at least 5 species along with Alien and Ex-Borg Romulan. That is what the KDF has, and even there some find it a little sparse.

1. Romulan
    2. Garidian
    3. Reman
    4. Hirogen
    6. Alien

I would not be overaly fond of Vulcans in the RSE, they share a mutual mistrust and only Spock according to the series was working on the Unification with Romulan supporters.
    I could see it. Romulans and Vulcans had made strides towards it. Garidians sound cool.

For another option I'd toss in Acamarians. Yeah they were a race fo the week species, but an interesting one, and they live near Romulan space.
    Truth be told if a Romulan faction was done after the KDF was fixed up, I wouldn't play a Romulan unless they had some really good traits, probably on par with the OP Federation Human Leadership trait. I am much more interested in the Remans, Garidians and Hirogen tbh.
    Honestly.... No. If they wait for KDF to be "finished" we'll never get any new content whatsoever.... KDF will always whine about not having as much content as Fed players. KDF has enough content to be playable as-is. But yeah Romulans definately need a race with Leadership. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • redsoniavrelredsoniavrel Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Lets all be clear about this... I think it's fair to say that while it's likely that most of those who are campaigning so hard for a Romulan faction will want to play as Romulans, I think that when anyone talks about 'Playable Romulans', what they mean to say is a full faction, complete with minors, homeworlds, 'capital city', ships, a solo story, and PvE/PvP fleet actions etc, not just a one race faction with one set of ships.

Basically a skinned copy of the Federation setup and not a half baked 'rush it out for release' setup, which still hasn't been fully corrected fo the Klingons, let alone talking about a third faction.

Just so you all know, my Vulcan character is actually a Romulan orphan - so I'm totally with the cause, I just want it to be done 'properly' is all ;)
    edited September 2012
    Firstly while you do have some outstanding ideas for a Romulan faction, there is no guarantee that Cryptic would adopt something similar. Knowing Cryptic they probably already have their own plans and ideas, which would only change depending on CBS and the approval process.

1. Romulan
    2. Garidian
    3. Reman
    4. Hirogen
    6. Alien

Some things would have to no doubt be changes for the MMO environment like the new multicultural Klingon Empire as a good example. Some however I do agree with you on. The Federation seems a little too gun-ho it feels more like the 23rd century with Kirk than the 25th.

i'd add vulcans to that list. maybe mintakans? but i guess that will come down to what ever happened to them after that tng episode...

also joined trill you never know what exp;eriences a trill may have had with romulans past and present...
  • valetharvalethar Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Finish the KDF faction before you even attempt to do Romulans. Flesh it out, fix the bugs, add enough content to it to make it worth playing (rather than the current half (censored) effort put into it thus far) as we've been promised since release 2 years ago.

If you can't make a solid effort with the KDF, you have absolutely no hope whatsoever of delivering a proper Romulan faction.
    edited September 2012
    Actually playable Romulans would actually be a logical step, considering they should of been there from day one. But that's my opinion of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    valethar wrote: »
    Finish the KDF faction before you even attempt to do Romulans. Flesh it out, fix the bugs, add enough content to it to make it worth playing (rather than the current half (censored) effort put into it thus far) as we've been promised since release 2 years ago.

If you can't make a solid effort with the KDF, you have absolutely no hope whatsoever of delivering a proper Romulan faction.
    that would essentially be the same as not ever adding them....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • zathura00zathura00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    valethar wrote: »

The poll results indicate otherwise. Romulans first ;)
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zathura00 wrote: »
    The poll results indicate otherwise. Romulans first ;)

And the poll results are meaningless because people thought they were voting for a full fledged faction, while Cryptic seems to want to make the Romulans a sub faction of the Feds or KDF. So with people not understanding what they were really voting for, there is no way to use the results.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And the poll results are meaningless because people thought they were voting for a full fledged faction, while Cryptic seems to want to make the Romulans a sub faction of the Feds or KDF. So with people not understanding what they were really voting for, there is no way to use the results.

im not sure about others but i dont need a 1 to lvl 50 faction just give me a romulan base or home world romulan ships so on more or less every thing one would need just not the lvl 1 to 50 thing and i be as happy as a boy on xmas :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    i'd add vulcans to that list. maybe mintakans? but i guess that will come down to what ever happened to them after that tng episode...

also joined trill you never know what exp;eriences a trill may have had with romulans past and present...

I really don't know about Mintakans, they hadn't even split the atom yet, advancing them so far wouldn't make a ton of sense, but granted yes a race like the Romulans would be less concerned about protecting their culture than the Federation would.

Joined Trill I'd be all for. My second KDF character was a Joined Trill, I could see some of them going the Curzon route. Now I just have to ponder another good symbiont and host name for my second RSE character. Thankfully I'll have plenty of time for that.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
    edited September 2012

Agreed. I'm all for a Romulan faction after Cryptic picks up it's act and finishes the KDF, Klingon players aren't expecting a 1:1 ratio just some equality and fairnes. Same with the Romulan fans. We are both in the same boat, most are fans of both. Helping one another I see is the only way this game can be more Star Trek Online and less Federation Online. Together as a united group we would equal Federation players I think. Together and united we are strong, split we are weak.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
    edited September 2012
    rtk142 wrote: »
    I really don't know about Mintakans, they hadn't even split the atom yet, advancing them so far wouldn't make a ton of sense, but granted yes a race like the Romulans would be less concerned about protecting their culture than the Federation would.

Joined Trill I'd be all for. My second KDF character was a Joined Trill, I could see some of them going the Curzon route. Now I just have to ponder another good symbiont and host name for my second RSE character. Thankfully I'll have plenty of time for that.
    Enh... Educate Mintakan children at a young age and they should be able to learn how to use advanced technology. Although, I'm not sure if Mintaka is close enough to RSE for them to be able to acquire it as a colony world.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • kadieraskadieras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    LOL you can't say you're a fan of the RSE if you have no interest in playing a Romulan. A pure RSE would be boring for YOU, it would NOT be boring for me. Just because other MMO's have done things "this way" doesn't mean this game has to. Just because the KDF has let the riff raff in doesn't mean the RSE has to. What you want isn't an RSE, it's a green skinned Federation. Putting all those races in the RSE means it would no longer be the RSE.
    Like the Romulan Alliance System? Of course you do, it sounds fine to you because you aren't Romulans, you're FED or KDF who are going to make a Romulan alt, it makes a HUGE difference in perspective.
  • thebigcheeseukthebigcheeseuk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Playable Romulans with content from level 1-50
    edited September 2012
    kadieras wrote: »
    LOL you can't say you're a fan of the RSE if you have no interest in playing a Romulan. A pure RSE would be boring for YOU, it would NOT be boring for me. Just because other MMO's have done things "this way" doesn't mean this game has to. Just because the KDF has let the riff raff in doesn't mean the RSE has to. What you want isn't an RSE, it's a green skinned Federation. Putting all those races in the RSE means it would no longer be the RSE.

If that's what you want to think and yell at people who don't agree with you, then that is fine, just don't expect a lot of new people to join your cause. I guess you miss the entire point of a MMO. I feel sad for you. If you represent the majority of the Romulan fans (which I certainly hope you don't) then you'll not be happy with what Cryptic does with the Romulans, whether it be a full faction or not. You may as well quit now and be happy with the Federation and KDF as you'll certainly won't be getting what you want. A one species faction would not succeed hence why the KDF has these other species in it. Here I thought Federation Fan-Boys were bad. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.