test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Switching Characters

bendamdaltronebendamdaltrone Member Posts: 3 Arc User
For the love of all that's holy....... WHY do I have to log out and log back in just to switch toons on the same account?
Post edited by bendamdaltrone on

Comments

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's supposedly to avoid an angry girlfriend from deleting all your characters.

Yeah, most of us think it's stupid too.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Cryptic's not happy about it either; but they can't fix all the bugs at once, and it's an inconvenience to some players sometimes. So it gets less priority than the show-stoppers. Hopefully it will turn out to be a low-hanging fruit at some point.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    darkjeff wrote: »
    It's supposedly to avoid an angry girlfriend from deleting all your characters.

Yeah, most of us think it's stupid too.

I don't think that's the reason; if it was, the checkbox wouldn't be there. It's just that they either forgot that piece when they integrated with PWE, or a bug caused it to fail to work properly.

Probably the former.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    Cryptic's not happy about it either; but they can't fix all the bugs at once, and it's an inconvenience to some players sometimes. So it gets less priority than the show-stoppers. Hopefully it will turn out to be a low-hanging fruit at some point.

SO cryptic FINALLY agrees with the playerbase on something huh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • onlineangelonlineangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Might want to spend some of that lockbox money on fixing bugs eh.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited September 2012
    I don't think that's the reason; if it was, the checkbox wouldn't be there. It's just that they either forgot that piece when they integrated with PWE, or a bug caused it to fail to work properly.

Probably the former.

I think the OP was discussing needing to log out to switch characters, not the bug where it remembers your Cryptic account name instead of your PWE account name (we are hoping to have a fix in for that bug, though).

As far as needing to log out to switch characters, Dan recently mentioned the following during the Raptr Q&A when the question was asked:
    dstahl wrote:
    Until the Accounts team rewrites they way they handle authentication, the answer is unfortunately - no. Sorry :(
    Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • stockwelldaystockwellday Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As an Ultima Online player, I'm used to this, I'm fine with it, you never know when you'll be in a hurry and hit log out instead of exit then rush away from the computer.

But that account name bug is terribad. Good to know it's on the radar.
  • zebularzebular Member Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think the OP was discussing needing to log out to switch characters, not the bug where it remembers your Cryptic account name instead of your PWE account name (we are hoping to have a fix in for that bug, though).

As far as needing to log out to switch characters, Dan recently mentioned the following during the Raptr Q&A when the question was asked:Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the update! Hope the Account Name bug is resolved soon. For Community reference, here is the Bug Report Forum Thread on this issue (another recently appeared here too).
    As an Ultima Online player, I'm used to this, I'm fine with it, you never know when you'll be in a hurry and hit log out instead of exit then rush away from the computer.

But that account name bug is terribad. Good to know it's on the radar.

Yeah, I do not mind having to go to the login screen to switch characters either - UO was my first MMO back in '97. It's having to retype both fields each time that is a bother. I look forward to the Account Name bug to be resolved in the Client.
    Full Name: Zeryn Zebulon Zebular 
    Short Name: Zebular ( @zebular )
    Starfleet Rank / Serial: Vice Admiral, Field Captain / SZ-872-112
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

Handles: @zebular (PC)@MtnDewFreak (XBOX)@Terraseer (PS4)
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Quite frankly I think it's silly to not have the ability to go back to the character select screen when most other MMOs have it. I know at least both Guild Wars games and The Old Republic have it. Granted I know the team can only work on so much and a lot of things are done as "extra credit" projects, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to shift priorities for just a little bit and take care of things. Along with the no playable Romulans yet and the whole mystery as to why Explore Strange New Worlds and Chart The B'Tran Cluster are on a 24 hour timers, this is one of my major issues with the game. Otherwise, I'm fairly content with things cryptic can control. If they can come up with a way to get my fleetmates playing again, that'd be great, but I know that part is on me.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I am so glad after sending in tickets about it for about 4+ months now that we get the word *hope* :)
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Thanks for the update! Hope the Account Name bug is resolved soon. For Community reference, here is the Bug Report Forum Thread on this issue (another recently appeared here too).

Yeah, I do not mind having to go to the login screen to switch characters either - UO was my first MMO back in '97. It's having to retype both fields each time that is a bother. I look forward to the Account Name bug to be resolved in the Client.

Zebular, about your signature... it's always U.S.S., but the registry will either be NCC-5891389 or NX-5891389. (completely random number :D)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • zebularzebular Member Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Zebular, about your signature... it's always U.S.S., but the registry will either be NCC-5891389 or NX-5891389. (completely random number :D)

That's now how I wanted it displayed. Those bits got left over from when I was trying to cram the registry up there and didn't get replaced. I Just haven't gone in and updated it yet, I have that base image all sectioned out in a particular way, the top line was meant originally for the registry and those two are the only two who use NX, so I left them there as a reminder and must have simply forgot to hide them and display the temp USS tags I am using on the others. I was going to update it all when I added the ship models for the other three toons but have since played a lot less, so it's not of high importance to me at the moment. Thanks though!

Anyone hard-core about my lore can check my web site, it's all correct there. (BIOs link under sig).
    Full Name: Zeryn Zebulon Zebular 
    Short Name: Zebular ( @zebular )
    Starfleet Rank / Serial: Vice Admiral, Field Captain / SZ-872-112
    Fleet Registry / Command Ship: Fleet Admiral of the Betazed Patrol / U.S.S. Zebulon, NX-91333-C
    Diplomatic Registry: Starfleet Ambassador, Betazed Ambassador, Son of the Thirteenth House of Betazed
    Species / Birth Date / Birth Place: Half-Betazoid, Half-Human / Stardate 27481.22 / Rixx City, Betazed

Handles: @zebular (PC)@MtnDewFreak (XBOX)@Terraseer (PS4)
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    use bank account code, fast and simple and it wont be a problem..

TROLLOLLOLOLLOLLOL...
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Probably the former.

Hm, it may have been a sarcastic response from Champions Online that I'm remembering. :P