test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: September 2012

Comments

• captiainbriancaptiainbrian Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I don't mean to be out of line here, but one of the gripes I have with the game is the dreadnought, it seems that its underused and underrated as a ship, all the focus goes to the Odyssey, now I understand that the Odyssey is supposed to be the "Best Ship" in the game, but all I ask is to make the Dreadnought better, I know your working on making the saucer separation available, and I'm happy! But please don't make it a totally different buy and what will happen to those who bought the famed Galaxy-X? Please reply as soon as you can. Thank you!
  • pinkpower2012pinkpower2012 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    None of these features will convince me to spend an OUTRAGEOUS amount on a lifetime membership so you waste your time asking me cryptic.
  • teleon22teleon22 Member Posts: 424
    edited September 2012
    Dan, as you can see for yourself, the playable Romulans option in the Polling are approaching a third of the population of all those who voted in the poll. However, what does Playable Romulans mean Dan?

I get the strong feeling that you are, intentionally or not, misleading all of us who believe that playable Romulans means a faction all of their own similar to that of the KDF faction.

So can you clear up this likely misdirection so that the community has some real insight as to what Cryptic s means by: Playable Romulans? I think the community here has the right to know whether or not you guys envision a half faction like the KDF or something entirely different. Like something as little as a playable Romulan race for the KDF or Federation; along with a ship or two.

I hope you understand that many of those who voted do not simply want Romulan Ships and toons available as Federation or as KDF; and if you think that is what we want? why not take a poll and ask these very basic questions? I know you won?t do that because at least this way you have an out in saying, ?we never said a Romulan Faction!? So I?m calling you out on this likely misdirection Dan!

Tell us strait up that you that you don?t really mean a Faction but something entirely different than what we all are being allowed to believe. At least this way you can head off some outrage later down the road?

Am I making any sense here Dan? I sure hope so!
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    The Foundry could be better integrated with the game. It could offer better rewards and fill content voids where they exist if Cryptic could adopt the missions and ensure they are integrated with the overal arch of the game.

Sad thing is, all you need to do is remove the silly dilithium project cost and use-one-character-for-foundry requirement and the entire playerbase becomes a potential mission maker.

Yes, you guys could pick missions and plug them into the official storylines but thats not the point. The point is the tool is there and you are locking people out of using it for no reason whatsoever.

PvP has suffered from a lack of development effort and could become a much more compelling aspect of STO gameplay. We are at war, and yet the PvP doesn't reflect the conflict in a meaningful way. Territorial gameplay or iPvP matches would go a long way towards improving this part of the game.

Absolutely. It is also ridiculously simple to do. The game already has the zones and the instances created for it. You guys simply have not connected the dots.
    The KDF faction has a long history of trying to establish itself and has suffered greatly from the "What is it going to be" thrash. While there is a passionate contingent of KDF players at max level who want more KDF specific content, there is also a large number of players who pass on playing in the KDF because you cannot build a KDF character as your first. In either case, the KDF wants to feel established and have their own agenda in the game instead of always playing the "foil" to the Feds.

PvP is the klingon content. Make it happen.
    Similarly, there are many players who would like to play as a Romulan, but don't want that experience to be as simple as a "playable species". Playing a Romulan should mean your own story and agenda, your own ships, and your own experience. Given the games development history with the KDF, there is skepticism that a Romulan experience would be any better than what the KDF had shortly after launch. The fate of the Romulans is also a topic of debate. What has happened to them since Romulus was destroyed? Are they splintered? How many are left? Who's in charge? Any effort with the Romulans should start from a perspective of "Telling their Story" so that the design is fulfilling to fans.

Nonsense. When the game was first released the KDF was nothing but ships and a planet and had no story or anything. People played it. Yes, they eventually wanted storylines and missions and we're still waiting for PvP content and for equal treatment when it comes to new toys. Point is, if you release romulan ships and homeworld with no content and slowly add it... we'd be ok with it. Why? Because if you open the darn foundry we can make our own content in the meantime. Fleets provide a lot more player interaction content than before as well.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    nothing can suggest a 3 or 4 or even more faction game wont work. this is star trek and things aren't just 1 side of the fence vs the other side. a star trek game should easily be able to boast 3/4 playable factions. star trek was and never will be as simple as 1 side vs 1 side.
    I agree. If the Devs really wanted to they could probably make it a 12 faction game. What 12 factions? Um.. not important. :p It could be done. should it? enh.. 4-5 is fine.
    All this talk of Romulan faction is premature and should never have been brought up this early in the game's life. Look at all the other MMO's going on currently, SWTOR, LOTRO, WOW, they are all two factions. Two faction games work, three at least for STO wouldn't unless as Dan suggested they did something like the new Panda's in the new WOW release that is in beta atm, where you play as them and then choose a side. In regards to the Romulans, the problem doesn't seem to be Cryptic not doing the wrong thing by them, it's unrealistic die hard fans expecting Cryptic the engineers to turn rocks into replicators to borrow a DS9 quote.
    Premature? not hardly. The longer the game is stuck with 2 factions the more entrenched that sort of design becomes. If you "wait for the right time" you'll never actually add a faction.
    daan2006 wrote: »
    you my friends know the mind set of a romulan :)
    This is why I like the idea of setting up Romulan story missions so the player has the ability to choose which subfaction of romulans to support.

The idea is that the player is choosing who to side with within the Romulan government.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Sad thing is, all you need to do is remove the silly dilithium project cost and use-one-character-for-foundry requirement and the entire playerbase becomes a potential mission maker.

Yes, you guys could pick missions and plug them into the official storylines but thats not the point. The point is the tool is there and you are locking people out of using it for no reason whatsoever.

Creating a foundry toon doesn't take away from your normal toon slots, I believe. Mission slots will cost 10k, but you get 4. 10k dilithium is pretty easy to earn.

Still, I get the overall point here. I have no idea why there is a learning curve just to start the foundry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Creating a foundry toon doesn't take away from your normal toon slots, I believe. Mission slots will cost 10k, but you get 4. 10k dilithium is pretty easy to earn.

Still, I get the overall point here. I have no idea why there is a learning curve just to start the foundry.
    1 slight correction. you get 1 free foundry char slot. To do KDF and Fed foundry you would need to use a regular char slot on the second foundry char.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2012
    1 slight correction. you get 1 free foundry char slot. To do KDF and Fed foundry you would need to use a regular char slot on the second foundry char.

Really?

My god, I've done 25 video tutorials on the Foundry, and I'm still confused over the basics of how to access it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i would agree. but aren't 'the' sisko and garak the only 1's that knew about it. if sisko is in the wormhole with the prophets don't that mean garak is the only person that can spill the beans???

Not necessarily.

All it would take is a paranoid Romulan to examine the shuttle accident.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Not necessarily.

i see what your saying. but thats what they already did and came to the conclusion the dominion/cardassians was behind it. thanks to garaks plan B

it's a great episode imo.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2012
    BTW: If you're gunna do more featured episodes, PLEASE make the cutscenes skippable in the future ones, and if possible edit the old ones as well. After playing it 3 times and more, I don't really wanna watch all those cutscenes in full length anymore. :p
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
    edited September 2012
    Really?

My god, I've done 25 video tutorials on the Foundry, and I'm still confused over the basics of how to access it.
    Yeah I didn't really notice that either until I created Emani(my avatar) so that I could do foundry testing on Tribble.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    teleon22 wrote: »
    Dan, as you can see for yourself, the playable Romulans option in the Polling are approaching a third of the population of all those who voted in the poll. However, what does Playable Romulans mean Dan?

I get the strong feeling that you are, intentionally or not, misleading all of us who believe that playable Romulans means a faction all of their own similar to that of the KDF faction.

So can you clear up this likely misdirection so that the community has some real insight as to what Cryptic s means by: Playable Romulans? I think the community here has the right to know whether or not you guys envision a half faction like the KDF or something entirely different. Like something as little as a playable Romulan race for the KDF or Federation; along with a ship or two.

I hope you understand that many of those who voted do not simply want Romulan Ships and toons available as Federation or as KDF; and if you think that is what we want? why not take a poll and ask these very basic questions? I know you won?t do that because at least this way you have an out in saying, ?we never said a Romulan Faction!? So I?m calling you out on this likely misdirection Dan!

Tell us strait up that you that you don?t really mean a Faction but something entirely different than what we all are being allowed to believe. At least this way you can head off some outrage later down the road?

Am I making any sense here Dan? I sure hope so!

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ i voted thinking it ment something like Faction but im scared now that i may have voted for romulan shortcuts and that something i never wanted for i can go make a alien to play a romulan on the Feds or KDF shortcuts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited September 2012
    Not necessarily.

lmafo this^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • thetruthurtsthetruthurts Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Sorry, but you've got it backwards. There are already plenty of great missions, so lack of missions isnt the problem. The problem is lack of comparable incentive to official missions.
  • varoolvarool Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    romulans may of already known even before the shuttle blew up with Vreenak, if section 31 were already operating within the senate or some military commander who was assigned to the mission, especially one that is loyal to destroying the dominion even if it means allying with the federation and klingons, then it would be worth sacrificing the senator by letting them know of sisko and garak's plan, he is in effect a traitor to his own skin but his opinions alone are enough to convince the senate to back down, so blowing him up and purifying the evidence would be damning to the senate as they were betrayed by their allies in public, but behind the scenes it would be a 100% success and all opponents that were with Vreenak would of been assassinated so the plan can proceed to tell the senate about what is going on, by then this military commander would have the pull to convince the senate to bring the fight to the dominion without any further choice in the matter.
  • dcmstechdcmstech Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If we want more votes on these types of polls why not put a link to the poll in the launcher and a in game popup saying go to the poll. The more players that see that there is a poll may be more inclined to vote if they know of the poll in the first place.
  • nador67nador67 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Q: (fedwarrior) For two factions at war, the feds and klinks don?t appear to engage each other much. Is there any plans to improve PVP and make it more a core part of the game?

Dstahl: Even though this question pops up every month, it is important to note that I?m taking the ?build it and they will come? attitude towards the KDF.

Exactly the point many of the KDF players have been trying to make. Most of us which prefer KDF over FED have been preaching this since pre-launch.

Despite the fact that a minority of players play KDF

The reason we are a minority is two fold.

One is that the younger generation and video addicts want to power play and right now it is on the Federation side. Geeze, people even want to play BORG (power players) and I don't even know what kind of missions a BORG "Captain" would even do.

Second; When all of the failures of the KDF were known; the KDF had a mass exodus (including bans for pointing out issues). Once the faction IS fixed they will return with a vengeance and Feds can go back to crying about how powerful the Klingons are.

This means building a KDF tutorial and ensuring that you can play KDF from level 1 onward.

Why waste your time on a tutorial? You already have every Klingon character running around the city completing them. At least Fed players have the option to skip the tutorial once they've completed it once. Not so for the Klingons, just keep running buster, you need to know all about the first city. Over half of the people you meet, you don't even deal with for the rest of the story. There are no missions where they are involved, so that is a waste of time in itself. Why did we meet them? We never see them after the tutorial.
    edited September 2012
    nador67 wrote: »
    Q: (fedwarrior) For two factions at war, the feds and klinks don?t appear to engage each other much. Is there any plans to improve PVP and make it more a core part of the game?

Dstahl: Even though this question pops up every month, it is important to note that I?m taking the ?build it and they will come? attitude towards the KDF.

Exactly the point many of the KDF players have been trying to make. Most of us which prefer KDF over FED have been preaching this since pre-launch.

Despite the fact that a minority of players play KDF

The reason we are a minority is two fold.

One is that the younger generation and video addicts want to power play and right now it is on the Federation side. Geeze, people even want to play BORG (power players) and I don't even know what kind of missions a BORG "Captain" would even do.

Second; When all of the failures of the KDF were known; the KDF had a mass exodus (including bans for pointing out issues). Once the faction IS fixed they will return with a vengeance and Feds can go back to crying about how powerful the Klingons are.

This means building a KDF tutorial and ensuring that you can play KDF from level 1 onward.

Why waste your time on a tutorial? You already have every Klingon character running around the city completing them. At least Fed players have the option to skip the tutorial once they've completed it once. Not so for the Klingons, just keep running buster, you need to know all about the first city. Over half of the people you meet, you don't even deal with for the rest of the story. There are no missions where they are involved, so that is a waste of time in itself. Why did we meet them? We never see them after the tutorial.

i understand where your coming from but feds are popular by the fact that the shows are actually based around starfleet crews reprsenting the united federation of planets. not because they are 'fotm'

secondly the borg would assimulate at a guess oh and never run, you never see a borg run. but a player borg faction is 1 of the stupidest ideas i've ever heard. they aren't individuals therefore they have no character. also i think making them playable would take away alot from how feared they are meant to be across the entire galaxy.
    edited September 2012
    Re: Roms

I just can't swallow the entire idea about Roms choosing sides. I mean, come on, Trek canon establishes an inherent dislike between Klingons and Romulans. It just doesn't pass the canon test. The Klingons would never take them, and they'd never work well together. Wouldn't it be obvious that they'd ally with the Vulcans?

Maybe the Remans would choose the KDF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I just can't swallow the entire idea about Roms choosing sides. I mean, come on, Trek canon establishes an inherent dislike between Klingons and Romulans. It just doesn't pass the canon test. The Klingons would never take them, and they'd never work well together. Wouldn't it be obvious that they'd ally with the Vulcans?

I'd agree, if the Romulan was entirely ruled out of having it's own faction, I do believe they should be a Federation only species (to go along with the Romulan colony in the Path to 2409 who is under Federation protection/assistance). The Remans would be a KDF only species as they are more war like and wouldn't fit in with the Federation well. That way both factions get something new and unique.

This is of course if a Romulan faction is ruled out or Cryptic is looking for a quick buck to make.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
    edited September 2012

I did say something about choosing sides. But I meant choosing between Sela and Taris.... and not permanently. It'd be on a mission by mission basis.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2012
    I did say something about choosing sides. But I meant choosing between Sela and Taris.... and not permanently. It'd be on a mission by mission basis.

this i can go for if i have to pick a side but asking me to pick Feds or KDF is a joke to me as a romulan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • dhiemmdhiemm Member Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Romulans, to start as a refugee or under Sela's rein? How about none of those. How about this:

The Romulan Empire IS splintered. However, Elements of the Romulan Military fleet and Tal Shiar of whom were on scientific missions in unexplored space on the far side of the Beta Quadrant have survived. They have started establishing a secret base within a planetoid with the hope of rebuilding what has been lost.

Sela is gone. Where is still a mystery. The Iconians are still a threat to all including those surviving Romulans. Not all elements of the Tal Shiar were working with the Iconians. In fact there was a split within the ranks, Donatra was one. Her delving into Borg technology was originally part of a plan to develop a defence against the Iconian threat. Unfortunately the Borg technology was too powerful to control and she was assimilated into the collective.

However, Donatra's body was salvaged. A prototype warbird with new stealth technology based upon that used by the USS Raven (as seen in Voyager) was able to beam what was left of Donatra aboard and escape undetected. The Borg technology was removed and data downloaded from a Romulan nano recorder that was masked to integrate with Borg tech. This was the one safe guard in place if Donatra's mission had failed. Her DNA had been stored for cloning so that the new empire would have a figurehead one day that all Romulan's could relate to.

The new Praetor would be a moderate who would establish cooperation between the likes of the military and the Tal Shiar. This Romulan was one of honour and wisdom respected by all. He was not driven by warring with the Federation or the Klingon Empire. He was of the people. He was Commander Konsab, a military history instructor who once taught at the Romulan Intelligence Academy (this is canon). His priority was to establish a secure base and a fleet shipyard. A new fleet was essential to maintain defence, as Hirogen appeared to be allied with the Romulans, but have turned now with Sela gone and the Romulan civilisation at it's weakest. They need new prey to hunt.

But they also need to locate resources. The refugees of the empire want peace, security, and food on their plate. They also dream of the hope that a saviour will come one day and unite all Romulans with the birth of a new strong empire that serves all Romulans.

The Romulan's once fought against a powerful enemy on the far side of the Beta quadrant who were unknown to most until the crew of the USS Enterprise D made 1st contact after discoverying the "Unity Device" (ST: TNG game "Final Unity"). The Chodak!!

However, what no one knew, was that the the Chodak forces the Romulan's were fighting were in the process of rebuilding after having fought an ancient war themselves. The Chodak were the victors of this ancient war, but at a huge toll to their empire. This ancient war was fought against the Iconians, and it was the Chodak that expelled them into another dimension. By reclaiming the "Unity Device", the Chodak have been able to rebuild their great empire.

The Romulan fleet are hiding out on the far side of the Beta quadrant on a planetoid that is masked by a nebula. While on a survey mission, (playable character) scans an anomoly and discovers an ancient data rod. Returning to the hidden base, the data rod is handed over to the science team who discover that it is Chodak in origin. It takes some time, but they are able to piece together some key parts of the data. They discover that the Chodak were the ones that defeated the great Iconian Empire!

From this point on, missions are centred on locating the Chodak, skirmishes with Hirogen hunters to prevent the Romulan's location from being discovered, and cat n mouse with Chodak ships while attempting to contact their leadership and start peace talks.

The key to uniting all Romulans is through it's once enemy - the Chodak! Contact with other races must be avoided in order to remain in safe exile - this may mean destroying ships from the other factions.

Jolan'tru my friend not a bad start for a story line for a playable Romulan faction.

Glory to the Empire Long live Donatra!!!
    DHIEMM.png

Join date July 08
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yet another poll that Romulans win but Cryptic will totally ignore. I so remember the next playable faction poll Cryptic did. I voted but I already know it was a waste of time because it will amount to nothing.

Funny how more content for KDF comes in second. Also something they will not do. Only "more KDF content" will be "more content for both".

And the more ships is so far behind but yet they will give us more lockbox ships that nobody really cares about.

And just doing a Romulan in the KDF or Fed is a cop-out. We do that already with the alien choice in creation. So yes, we want a faction and not just a playable Fed or KDF. That's just being lazy.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Even if they do go with Romulans for the Feds and Remans for the KDF to make the quick buck I do not see it as a true end to a playable Romulan faction. They can always provide a full or even mini faction experience down the road. Though if they go that route they really need to make a mechanism to allow those who have a C-Store Romulan or Reman refugee to convert them back to the RSE.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    piwright42 wrote: »
    Even if they do go with Romulans for the Feds and Remans for the KDF to make the quick buck I do not see it as a true end to a playable Romulan faction. They can always provide a full or even mini faction experience down the road. Though if they go that route they really need to make a mechanism to allow those who have a C-Store Romulan or Reman refugee to convert them back to the RSE.

I agree on all points you made. :)
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
    edited September 2012
    And just doing a Romulan in the KDF or Fed is a cop-out. We do that already with the alien choice in creation. So yes, we want a faction and not just a playable Fed or KDF. That's just being lazy.

this^^^^^^^ and not to say as a romulan makes me want to throw up my Romulan Ale :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited September 2012
    piwright42 wrote: »

i can see how that might work from an implimentation stand point. but story wise it would actually end up being pretty p!$$ poor. no matter how well you try and play the story of going from feds to a full romulan faction.

simple example. i've just played as a fed 'affilate'
    played all their missions.... fought my own people in the process and now i'm gonna turn on the feds.?? even pretending i'm a refugee while i'm actually an agent for the rse is so weak considering the state of fed rse and kdf.

needs to be more depth of story.

your ship, your destiny, your romulan star empire!!!

you in your story should be 1 of the key reasons the RSE reunites.
  • piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i can see how that might work from an implimentation stand point. but story wise it would actually end up being pretty p!$$ poor. no matter how well you try and play the story of going from feds to a full romulan faction.

simple example. i've just played as a fed 'affilate'
    played all their missions.... fought my own people in the process and now i'm gonna turn on the feds.?? even pretending i'm a refugee while i'm actually an agent for the rse is so weak considering the state of fed rse and kdf.

needs to be more depth of story.

your ship, your destiny, your romulan star empire!!!

you in your story should be 1 of the key reasons the RSE reunites.

I'm not saying it is right for the Devs to use such a money grab, but since you went there...

There are so many ways to level up now you should be able to skip the Rommie content right up to the Romulan FE and do that if you chose.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
This discussion has been closed.