test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Data and Enterprise E

Comments

• chakittychakitty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    ive herd alot of the star trek ppl do alot of voice overs for alot of bioware games DA1 and 2 not to say Patrick Stewart did a voice over for The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

True, and he did do three X-Men movies as Charles Xavier. Then I've seen the actor that played Miles O'Brian in Stargate SG1, the actor that played the EMH on Voyager on SG1 and a couple other shows, and the actor that played Tuvok(sp?) on Voyager in iCarley, if I'm remembering the show correctly.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    STO canon is whatever is current and currently it states: "After Starfleet lost contact with Starbase 236 in late September, it sent the U.S.S. Enterprise-E to investigate."

END OF

Any previous references are now null and void. This version does seem to fit better than the previous "went missing" reference as it now simply follows from where Nemesis left off and leaves CBS/STO/Paramount carte blanche to write the next part of the story line if they so choose.

Hoo god.. that dev reference has no more than 2 months old! Is an UPDATE of the path to 2409 made on the Star Trek Magazine by the SAME dev that write the Path to 2409!

?What happened in that investigation? We don?t know, but it was establish that soon after (or on the same mission) the E-E travel to the Fluidic space and save the Federation from another war.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Then you totally misunderstand the definition of Star Trek canon.

And I said STO canon, no ST canon! The STO is not even canon by definition, so in the Star Trek canon Data is dead. In the STO canon, well, here it was the Devs said it is.

What ever.. yes, Data in the game is dead and the body is on some Iconian Lab.. if that make you guys happy.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ok frist off if data is dead then why is he as B-4 at the end of the movie humming 'Blue Skies' at the end sorry but that is the frist clue as to how data comes back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT2A2Ltwly4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Then you totally misunderstand the definition of Star Trek canon.

And this game is not Star Trek canon.

STO canon is what's more pressing here.

Every work has a canon.

Take the books of Peter David. He has an internal canon. To a point that when the shows contradicted him on Riker's middle name (he said the T stood for Thelonious, back before anyone knew what it stood for) then Peter David turned around and said in his next TNG book that Riker had two middle names.

STO can have its canon which INCLUDES Star Trek canon but which is separate from it.
    edited September 2012
    By the way, the "went missing" line was something I started on the forums. It's nowhere in any Cryptic sources.

I started it as part of a campaign to launch an Enterprise-F without using Data and without having to get CBS approval for what happened to the E. This is back close to launch.

Cryptic's official story is that the Enterprise-E was sucked into fluidic space. The crew made it back with no casualties. No one knows if the ship did (because CBS probably wants to save that story for someone else to write, maybe a cartoon or a comic book). Data is a professor at Oxford. (Why not Cambridge, I have no clue, unless Kestrel just got mixed up.)
  • jim940jim940 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Lots of Star Trek Actors have played in both Babylon 5 and in NCIS.

Jim
  • dradymdradym Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    brent spiners been in Big Bang Theory as a cameo and....independence day...i am not aware of anything else
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    dradym wrote: »
    brent spiners been in Big Bang Theory as a cameo and....independence day...i am not aware of anything else
    Brent has his own internet YouTube show called Fresh Hell.

And anyone can go over to imdb.com and see a list of shows any of their favorite actors have been in.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Before TNG, Spiner's best known role was that of the inept hillbilly Bob Wheeler. Was pretty hillarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMYbxR2fazA

Every work has a canon.

Take the books of Peter David. He has an internal canon. To a point that when the shows contradicted him on Riker's middle name (he said the T stood for Thelonious, back before anyone knew what it stood for) then Peter David turned around and said in his next TNG book that Riker had two middle names.

STO can have its canon which INCLUDES Star Trek canon but which is separate from it.

Yeah, STO's timeline is just a branch off the original timeline, for now.

If there is another Star Trek TV show or Movie in the original universe, it will make or break STO's canoninity. Either STO is official part of the main timeline or just another alternate reality.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Before TNG, Spiner's best known role was that of the inept hillbilly Bob Wheeler. Was pretty hillarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMYbxR2fazA

Yeah, STO's timeline is just a branch off the original timeline, for now.

If there is another Star Trek TV show or Movie in the original universe, it will make or break STO's canoninity. Either STO is official part of the main timeline or just another alternate reality.

dont forget the name of the server is the what? the holodeck could be a Ent ending again lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    What are you talking about? The question is answered:

Data is dead, the Enterprise E is being repaired.

That is the last official canon we know of. If you want to fill in the gaps from then to now then go choose your media, or use google, or make it up if you like, who cares?

If you want to follow JJ's universe then be my guest, in that universe there may not even be a Data or and Enterprise E or anything else we grew up with and loved.

First off stop being a ****, i am talking about the fact no1 seems to be able to answer the origional question, clearly data wnt on to comand the enterprise e , but if you havnt gathered theres now an enterprise f with no data. we dont care about official canon now the jj verse we jsut want to be updated on the last use of data and enterprise e moving on to enterprise f. so NO the question is not answered by the time you messaged this. fud
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    And I said STO canon, no ST canon!

STO Canon = Fanon. That's the point I'm trying to make here. STO can say whatever they want, just like Peter David (whom I love btw), but it is not any more official than if you or I or anyone were to write it.
    edited September 2012
    My god, do you not understand the meaning of "Missing in action, all hands presumed lost"?

The ENT-E was sent to investigate a starbase that suddenly "went missing" and in the process suddenly "went missing" too. Gone. Without a trace. Years ago.

Dont be a TRIBBLE my friend, i clearly understand the meaning of missing in action, but i had not seen this term used to explain an answer, this question was ased and everyone could only talk about canon or not, we didnt ask that. so basically i ask do you not understand the first question.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It's also important to keep in mind that Paramount owns the rights to the Enterprise E, as it was a movie ship, not a TV series ship. That means Cryptic needs Paramount's permission to use it in the game as well - though that's far easier to get then Spiner's rights.

No. Paramount does not hold rights to the Star Trek movies any more. CBS repurchased most of the Star Trek rights back from Paramount several years ago. CBS owns virtually everything Star Trek up to and including ST:Nemesis. Paramount retained the major motion picture and DVD distribution rights.

And to answer the OP, CBS has prevented Cryptic from delving into exactly what happened with Data and the Enterprise-E. Kestrel has some published fiction in Star Trek Magazine which hints around it.

******** Spoiler space **************

Data took the Enteprise-E into fluidic space and did something drastic which ended the way with the Undine very quickly. And he managed to bring the crew home.
    edited September 2012
    Ah ok so there is no Studio setting a price then. Well that surprises me too because I am in the UK and Sir Patrick has voice overs on many media outlets from computer titles (e.g. one about the solar system, low budget and quite old now, maybe about 8 yrs ago) to awful adverts on TV such as the money Supermaket,com ad. I can't believe he charges that much and I doubt he needs the money. What an amazing gesture it would be for him or another star to do a voice over for a charity donation, if I was his agent I'd be pushing him to do that for sure, a real marketing coup.

I believe it's a case where he probably has agents and separate union memberships in each country which dictate what he can charge.

In the UK, he may be a member of Equity. Honestly, Thatcher's government made the whole country "right to work." Technically, Patrick Stewart could do work on the cheap in any number of places...

... But he couldn't do it in California, where he is PROBABLY a SAG member.

And going elsewhere to do the work carries certain stigmas that could give Patrick Stewart or Cryptic a black eye with SAG. Although they probably don't care as much about work done in the UK for people who live there.

And beyond that the models are different. A lot of the US models tend to discourage notable actors from taking work whereas the UK entertainment business model seems to encourage people to take more work for less money. There, an actor ACTS to pay the bills. In the US, a lot is made of keeping up a celebrity image and a celebrity salary, at least in recorded media.

So... If Cryptic were looking at getting him, the smart bet would probably be to run all of that through PWE's UK office, even if that means flying their audio guys from Los Gatos to the UK. It would probably make a VERY dramatic price difference to have Perfect World Europe's UK offices handle the recording.

Like, the difference between $100 grand and $5 grand (maybe $10 if you allow for sending the audio guys there for a week.)

The really smart money would probably be on group booking UK actors since you'd get more out of sending the audio guys to the UK.
    edited September 2012
    In addition to doing the recording in the UK, it would probably pay to have an actor like Stewart primarily come in for an in development game like Neverwinter and make STO a value added side gig.

Not because he wouldn't be more valuable here but because NW probably has more money to absorb the cost of hiring him (and the title after Neverwinter, even moreso), so -- on paper -- you want the in-development game to absorb the costs.

Pre-launch games have the luxury of throwing money at art. Post-launch MMOs need to have their expenses justified before they spend.
    edited September 2012
    Resorting to crude insults is unlikely to gain you any respect as a relevant poster on this forum.

The original question was:

Maybe i have missed something, but what ever happened to the Enterprise E and Data as Captain...

The answer given was:

Data died in Nemesis, the Enterprise E was last seen at the end of the film (in the special features section only of the DVD) being repaired.

That is what is canon which means from the film. Anything else is not original canon and therefore as I said to you, choose your media for your answer, you could even make it up if you like, it doesn't matter, if it isn't canon then it is an alternate universe canon at best.

That is my final answer to you, if you don't like it then fine, it is my opinion which is all a forum really is, lots of people giving their own interpretation of the facts. Shouting "My God" and calling people **** and A*** is not a reasonable way to illicit a reasonable response.

Ok so maybe i should not have been crude as you put it so u appologies, however I stand by my shouting my god as the so called facts did NOT answer our question. Yes by now we have the answer, we wanted to know in terms of sto what happened, don't care of canon , it's frustrating wen I simple question cannot be given a simple answer, I really don't care if it's you 1st 2nd 100th answer because you still couldn't answer correctly, we arnt asking about nemisis , we are asking about sto, and as for quoting the original question I think I already know very well what it was.

So forgive me but is it really that hard to get an answer. And again I gather that by the time I type this reply we already have a sufficient answer in terms of ship and data missing.

For the record , none of my crude terms actually start with A so either read again or don't assume what I'm trying to say.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Ever seen the Walter Mathau/Jack Lemmon flick Out to Sea? XD funny movie as those two are legends anyways. (Although this movie DID come out before the downfall of Trek known as "Nemesis"

Edit: Worth the watch, besides the humour of the two legends, but Spiner sings in this one too... more than once..
  • ryanevryanev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The actors set their own fee rate. It's hard to say why it's so much. Some of its popularity and the actor wanting to capitalize on that popularity. I'm sure Sir Patrick charges several times more then Spiner. But it's also important to keep in mind that most Trek actors don't have a career after Trek and so the only money they make comes from royalties, convention appearances, and licensing fees. So they want to make all the money they can from those categories.

False, Both Patrick Steward and Brent Spiner Participated in numerous movies, and have been guest stars in tv series. (Can't remember any right off the bat except for X-Men, check IMDB for more info) So their career doesn't end with the Star Trek franchise.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    William Shatner appeared in **** my dad says, as a very un Kirk like person. He was canny good in that, I wish it had gone longer.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited September 2012
    ryanev wrote: »
    False, Both Patrick Steward and Brent Spiner Participated in numerous movies, and have been guest stars in tv series. (Can't remember any right off the bat except for X-Men, check IMDB for more info) So their career doesn't end with the Star Trek franchise.
    Can you tell me all the things Mirina Sirtis and Gates McFadden have been in since TNG? Even Johnathan Frakes? How about Michael Dorn since DS9? How about Nicole de Boer, Cirroc Lofton, and Nana Vistor? Shall we talk about Voyager now? How about Tim Russ, Roxann Dawson, Garret Wang, and Jennifer Lien? Enterprise now? Dominic Keating, Anthony Montgomery, Linda Parks, Connor Trinnear, etc? Shall we go all the back to TOS? Did you see a lot of DeForest, James, Walter, Nichelle, and George in things other then Trek after TOS was done?

The simple truth is the vast majority of Trek actors end up doing occasional bit rolls and never find themselves in another series or as the primary star of a movie after Trek.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited September 2012
    George, Nichelle, Dominic Keating, appeared in Heroes, all more than bit parts in the epsiodes they were in, though granted only George had a major character.

William Shatner was the lead in S*** My Dad Says. And TJ Hooker (which was after Star Trek).

Leonard Nimoy was in a couple of series of Mission Impossible, main character (I forget if this was before or after Star Trek).

Patrick Stewart has a regular recurring voice over in American Dad. Certainly not a bit part there.

Almost the entire TNG cast did the voices in Gargoyles.

Tim Russ was in Die Hard 4. Ok, bit part.

Tom Paris and Blanna have gone into directing (Paris directed alot of episodes of Chuck)

Trip has a recurring guest in at least 3 series of Stargate Atlantis. Robert Picardo was a regular guest in numerous episodes of Stargate, both SG1 and Atlantis before becoming main cast member in Atlantis series 5. Nicole Deboer had a guest star in 1 episode. Ok, she was a bit part.

So true many do not crop up in mainstream, there are those who appear in regular roles after trek.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited September 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    George, Nichelle, Dominic Keating, appeared in Heroes, all more than bit parts in the epsiodes they were in, though granted only George had a major character.
    You do realize you're talking about George and Nichelle doing something 40 years after TOS, right? :)
    So true many do not crop up in mainstream, there are those who appear in regular roles after trek.
    Doing 1 or 2 guest appearances a year is not doing regular work. Going from working 30 weeks a year to working 2 is not being regularly employed. Look at "Trip" as your example:

Enterprise ended in 2005. He had 3 bit parts in 2006. 2 in 2007 - one of which was a voice in Family Guy. He was lucky to get 10 episodes of Stargate: Atlantis in 2008 - but he only got those due to his sci-fi Enterprise role. He had 4 bit parts in 2009 and only 1 part in 2010. 2 in 2011 and 2 in 2012.

Connor has been working, but he's not working steadily - and certainly not steadily enough to feel financially secure. I'm sure any money he can get from licensing and convention appearances is much appreciated.
    edited September 2012
    I was just trying to be helpful and point out there are some who do get some work. But like I said, most do not.

Connor was only in 10 eps of Atlantis? I thought he was in more than that (and thank you for reminding me his name.)

• darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited September 2012
    I doubt we will see Data back in this game as a Captain. CBS said no to any android captains which is why you cannot play as an android in this game.
    If we ever do see Data again (that is of course if PWE/Cryptic spend any of the lockbox profits on some cannon actors) he will not be a Captain.