What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

City of Heroes Shuts Down

1235»

Comments

• darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    starkaos wrote: »
    Think I went to Bloody Bay the most to pick up those Shivan Shards. Shivan Shards summoned an alien Elite Boss pet that followed you around for 5 minutes. Warburg allowed you to acquire Missiles that gave a devastating attack, debuff, or buff. Recluse's Victory had a Mech Elite Boss that could be acquired, but was really annoying to get. Siren's Call had various temporary items that could be purchased depending on if your side was winning and by how much they were winning by.

There was also the Arena that allowed players to fight various types of matches against each other and allow you to control gladiators to fight for you. These gladiators could be achieved by doing various PvE tasks like defeat 100 of a certain type of enemy, exploration, or doing a trial.

Didn't PvP much, but I will certainly miss this game when it goes. The farewell announcement has certainly motivated me to do the various story arcs from Issue 21 on. Incarnate trials and Task Forces have lost all interest to me since whats the point. My character is gone in a few months so any significant work done on it is useless.

Warburg was where I'd go just to get the "Weapon of Mass Destruction" title.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Based on their own published financials for 2nd Quarter 2012, GW was 1% of their overall sales - about half of CoH. Of course that will look different in Q3 with GW2. :)

In case anyone's wondering about Sales breakdowns:

Lineage: 45%
    A.ION: 28%
    Lineage II: 13%
    CoH: 2%
    GW: 1%
    All other games and sources: 11%

Their largest sales market was Korea at 70% of overall sales. As I said above, the North America market accounts for 4% of sales.

Is that income or just box sales?

And if overall numbers, GW is a F2P game from the start. With GW2 on the horizon, I wasn't spending any more money in GW1. They probably noticed a shift in sales as GW2 got closer.

And most of the things added to their in-game store of late has been mostly worthless add-ons like clothes you can only wear in towns. Meaningful story content did well (Mission Bonus) for those who didn't earn it for free before it was released.

Honestly, CoX store didn't really have "must have" items. I have like 3400 points and I never saw anything to use them on I really cared for. The game never really was made for F2P so them going that route was their big mistake.

CO and DCUO did it to survive. CoX did it because NCSoft saw how CO actually survived from being almost in the grave. So NCSoft felt they could make more money but turns out they didn't get that big splash.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The weekly "coffee talk" that happens at Paragon Studios still happened yesterday; I took some notes on it, so anyone who wants a bigger picture of what's going on can take a look here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
    edited September 2012
    How many are trying to rank up another 50 before the servers go?

I was in CoX earlier today and saw a guy named "End of Days Man" and his bio said he made the toon when the announcement hit and had a few things in it about Paragon shutting down. He was in his 20's so might be that one last 50 he's pushing.

• maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    im not surpised ive never heard of it. was it f2p?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    im not surpised ive never heard of it. was it f2p?

It was sub based until a few months ago. I don't think it quite made a year under F2P. But it's been around longer than WoW. They were released the same year. CoX in March or April and WoW that November.

Oh and as people pointed out, it was made by Cryptic when they were with NCSoft. When Cryptic left NCSoft, the remaining Cryptic people there were renamed Paragon Studios. So you must not have known Cryptic long because they were around for 8 years and Champions was their second game they made. CoX was their first. So basically, Cryptic has been around for 8 years (longer because of the development time they did on CoX). And over half of their time was spent on CoX.

• mithril2098mithril2098 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    hopefully Cryptic will be able to hire some of the Paragon Studios development staff and apply them to projects in STO.. COH had a great troubleshooting and refinements record. bringing some of that experience into STO might help solve some of the development and bug related issues that people seem to like complaining about here on these forums.

"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
    - Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    hopefully Cryptic will be able to hire some of the Paragon Studios development staff and apply them to projects in STO.. COH had a great troubleshooting and refinements record. bringing some of that experience into STO might help solve some of the development and bug related issues that people seem to like complaining about here on these forums.
    I don't believe the problem has ever been finding people to work - thus scores of developers looking for work. The issue's more about if they're willing to work for Cryptic and if Cryptic has the budget to hire them.

There's probably a lot of early-stage NWN Devs that are going to be needing work once the game goes live and settles into its normal team. Those guys will probably get first crack - assuming they don't start working on game 4.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    They had a big job fair at Paragon yesterday, with a bunch of local companies. We were represented as well. I haven't heard from our recruiter, but hopefully we can get a few prodigal developers.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • dan512dan512 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If cryptic was smart they would buy back city of heroes and ditch champions ;)

Take back your old game lol. I really dont want to see it die, makes me sad.
  • sollafsollaf Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    There's Cryptic Engine MK I - used by CoH/V - and Cryptic Engine MK II - used by CO and STO. NWN might be using Cryptic Engine MK IIa. :)

I don't think they will change the engine too much from Champs and STO. An ideal world will have all games made by a studio using the same engine. Any upgrades and improvements made in Neverwinter will also help to serve STO and Champs, where applicable. You might notice visual differences between the three games, but the underlying code should be close enough that they can plug in codes from other games where needed.
    Sollaf: Join date Sep 2009, Lifer. Disgruntled with the JHSS, my Bug feels less shiny now.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/8/31/3283189/city-of-heroes-publisher-shuts-down-game-prepares-for-end-times

Kinda sad.

Might be good news for Champs if there are player to inherit. Might be good for Cryptic if there are employees to pick up.

But sad to see the first super-hero MMO go.

Aw, man. That game was fun, as was CoV.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Played CoH heavily. Actually I first started when City of Villains first launched -- because I was with a text-based online RP community involved with superheroes, and they wanted to play... and I finally got my chance to be a bad guy in an MMO.

Of course, all my friends ended up playing MMO musical chairs, jumping from MMO to MMO every few months... but I stayed in CoX because I didn't want to play musical chairs with MMOs.

And I have to say I loved it. I had a ninjas/dark miasma mastermind... I got to roleplay, I got to do strike forces... I played up until the lull waiting for Going Rogue. And honestly, I got bored. I had those ultra-rare really expensive enhancements for all of my powers on a few alts... I had a bunch of badges... I was running strike forces and trials every day.

And it got boring. Then someone mentioned Star Trek Online in one of the public channels, and I asked about it. Went to the STO website, and said to myself it'd only tide me over till Going Rogue launched.

But then STO sucked me in at launch and I've been here since. I feel kind of sad... that I didn't even get 'Going Rogue' like I said I would... but I had lost interest in CoH once I delved into Star Trek Online.

I'm going to miss my friends still playing CoX. My roleplay partners. My former supergroup and villain group. I'm going to miss the devs posting on the forums. In particular I'm going to miss Sexy Jay -- who was by far my favorite dev... he was very very awesome. I'm going to miss Melissa "War Witch" Bianco. I'm going to miss Niviene, Ex_Libris... and even though she had left for Tabula Rasa well before I stopped playing -- I'm going to miss CuppaJo. I really wish the best for Matt "Positron" Miller, and any other devs that I might have forgotten. I'm glad to hear BABS is going to be joining the NWN team (if that's true).

I have a lot of good, pleasant memories of my time playing CoH. Even though I haven't subscribed for a while, I supported the game with good thoughts and hopes -- even if it wasn't with any money. I'm going to miss all of the awesome stories, missions, and other content.

But all good things must come to an end -- here's hoping some of Paragon Studios' former staff put in their resumes for Cryptic, and here's me privately hoping we get some CoX veteran developers working on Star Trek Online, and interacting with us on the forums.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited September 2012
    I hope Positron doesn't work for STO. CO? I don't care if he does or not. But not STO. How much he screwed the enjoyment out of AE, I don't want a repeat performance of his butthurt nerdrage dealing with the Foundry.

But I have been spending more time in CoX the past week than I have in the past 6 months. So many near 50's that I want to let them die as 50's. lol

• brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Is that income or just box sales?
    Box sales as we consider them basically do not exist in Korea (70% of the figures in the previous quote). Even Starcraft has a sales model they don't really use outside of Asian markets.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    They had a big job fair at Paragon yesterday, with a bunch of local companies. We were represented as well. I haven't heard from our recruiter, but hopefully we can get a few prodigal developers.
    Cool! Speaking as an outsider who has followed Cryptic since CoH in 2004, I have to say your company has a reputation of always being a welcome "return home" to its former staff. Speaks to a very strong corporate culture without being constraining.

I'd really love to see some enterprising soul attempt an infographic of the past decade of MMO studio splits and product involvement. Remember when Champions was actually going to be Marvel Online? /e kneeslap :D
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    CoH was my first MMO, and the changes that has made to my life (which I consider to have been, on balance, a large net positive) are all Cryptic's fault. :)

Many of my favorite gaming experiences have occurred in Paragon City. I still remember how much I enjoyed being kidney-punched into unconsciousness by Statesman while I was helping beat down Position for the CoV end-of-beta event. We got Posi shortly after.

I almost got banned that night by Posi too, but that's a different story. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    brackynews wrote: »
    I'd really love to see some enterprising soul attempt an infographic of the past decade of MMO studio splits and product involvement. Remember when Champions was actually going to be Marvel Online? /e kneeslap :D

You mean like this one?

Yes, MMOs tend to be a giant incestuous orgy of mergers, clones and selloffs.

Also, yes, yes I do.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I gotta love the CCP line. Just kind of hanging out.
  • sc0rpi0besc0rpi0be Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I gotta love the CCP line. Just kind of hanging out.

i would love to see 2011 - 2012 :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2012

This reminds me of the computer graphics in 'year of hell' when annorax is trying to restore the timeline. just one more temporal incursion and we can restore city of heroes.
  • hatepwehatepwe Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It was a long time coming. If not for the sense of community and the fun of teaming that was so prevalent in that game it would have died years ago when DCUO and CO came out.

They did a fantastic job with it, even more so once NCSoft owned it entirely. I moved on a long time ago to Champions and then mostly to STo but I still stopped in occasionally and wish them and their community well.

Hopefully, some of those great community folks will come over to Champions and gimme a reason to log in more than I do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • varoolvarool Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    oh no... i never played CoH and i had been thinking about it for some time, just never had a chance to download their client. they stated the end of the year, so there are a few months left and their subscription is no longer active (unless it means registration is closed as well, of not then), i can find out what it's all about before it's gone for good.
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    No, you can't. At least not from the official site. They've removed the client download from the site and put up their thank you page instead. I played CoH for years, my account is from Day 1. I was going to go back and show my support but oops! No more client download link.

HA! Change that, if you create an account you can do it from your account management screen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • dradymdradym Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    why are the diablos in that timeline...those arent mmos