test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New to STO

gggsdgggsd Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2013 in The Academy
Hello im zach :D . well i am new to sto i am downloading it as i tryed this lol.. well i was wondering is ti really wirth to Play for free and can u attualy get a good pvp experiance outa it :D. also any tips tricks or hints are welcome or help thanks :D

sincerly
Zach
Post edited by gggsd on

Comments

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The first (and most useful) Tip for you to receive is to take a look at the STO Wiki, as its the closest thing you'll find to the non-existent game manual.

http://www.stowiki.org/Main_Page
  • dank65dank65 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    gggsd wrote: »
    Hello im zach :D . well i am new to sto i am downloading it as i tryed this lol.. well i was wondering is ti really wirth to Play for free and can u attualy get a good pvp experiance outa it :D. also any tips tricks or hints are welcome or help thanks :D

sincerly
    Zach

Welcome Zach and the answer to your question is yes it is worth it to play and you can be
    effective in PvP without spending money but it takes a little time and effort but well worth
    it and as far as advice go to the PvP forums lot of good info there and be sure to join the
    OPVP chat channel........Good Hunting:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banshee
    Bloodthristy
    Guild - <Lords of The Dead>
    LvL 60 CW-Dragon Server
  • marctraiderzmarctraiderz Member Posts: 539 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey zachery welcome to this game pvp is very nice especially with dedicated dmg per spike cruisersz really then

kkthx greets 2 dan'xi for me ;)
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to STO! PvP isn't really my strong point, but there is one piece of advice I can give you regarding it: it is HARD to master. So don't get discouraged when you inevitable fail the first few times.

There are a lot of friendly people in-game and on the forums. We're all happy to help.

If you're a Star Trek fan interested in learning about the game's backstory, I encourage you to check out this STOwiki article. It's a lot to read, but it's a great way to familiarize yourself with the lore. It covers the entire history of Star Trek from 2379 (Star Trek: Nemesis) to the current year of 2409.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • izzylawizzizzylawizz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey welcome Zach, I'm new too. I remember playing the beta way back when it came out n I recently started watching star trek tv series (deep space nine) again and I really wanted to start playing again. It was a good way back then and its probably even better now.

ill see you guys out there!
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

If you're a Star Trek fan interested in learning about the game's backstory, I encourage you to check out this STOwiki article. It's a lot to read, but it's a great way to familiarize yourself with the lore. It covers the entire history of Star Trek from 2379 (Star Trek: Nemesis) to the current year of 2409.

I personnally did not know about that despite playing for ages, that was a great little read and gave me a lot more background upto the current time, thanks for the linky
  • shadokittyshadokitty Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome Zach. Always happy to see new players around here, and to answer your question, at least IMO, STO is still worth playing as a free player. There don't seem to be many f2p MMOs that you can say that about.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    Welcome aboard Ensign!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome to the game.

I think you're going to like playing.

Though I don't do PvP, the story missions are challenging and fun to play through.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Welcome aboard,

Study everything you can from the wiki link, and decide early what you want to fly. Anything can be had in this game with enough work, and time but if you don't get your character setup correctly EARLY- your done. You'll have to start all over again. There's alot of VERY good information in the PvP forums so study and don't be afraid to ask questions.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Welcome aboard Ensign!

Shouldn't that be (In the Spock voice):

"Congratulations Lieutenant" :D ?;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited September 2012
    Ya, or Captain since you're all ship's captains. . . I'm just going to start inventing ranks.

Glad to have you here Corporal!
  • soriedemsoriedem Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ya, or Captain since you're all ship's captains. . . I'm just going to start inventing ranks.

inventing ranks? No need for that. He's a junior officer.
  • redshirtjohnson#9017 redshirtjohnson Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Why Make up ranks, when it's been done for you already, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/dansay/Star%20Trek%20Online%20Photos/25thCentRanks.jpg
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

You're going to have to start inventing ranks anyway unless Cryptic decides to finally detach ranks from XP levels when the game will inevitably need to expand player levels beyond 60.

I call dibs on Pan-Galactic Grand Forward Admiral Marshall General, Upper-Rear Left Echelon of the Quadrant! (still only commanding one vessel!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited September 2012

My bad - I just realized you were probably more involved with CO then STO back during the 2009 closed beta. I was a joke as there was a period in that 2009 closed beta where, whenever anyone leveled (no matter what the rank) - the entire zone heard Leonard Nimoy (as Spock) say: "Congratulations Lieutenant" (it was a bug but a funny one as you rarely went 1 minute in sector space or a social zone without hearing the line.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • starfleetfcstarfleetfc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Get the art department, these must be ingame immediately.
  • robinsonfamilyrobinsonfamily Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I want to be Fleet Admiral, can TacoFangs make that happen?
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Shouldn't that be (In the Spock voice):

"Congratulations Lieutenant" :D ?;)

In case people don't get it. It's an inside joke from closed Beta. After Lenoard Nimoy's voice overs where added to the game. Everyone started hearing "Congratulations Lieutenant" when they gained a level. And I mean EVERYONE. It was a bug in that everyone in the sector head Spock's congratulations. So you'd head "Congratulations Lieutenant" ever 30 seconds minute, or so, during testing sessions as hundreds of players were leveling new characters.
    edited September 2012
    Sorry, wasn't around STO back then, so I didn't get he reference. Pretty funny though.

I want to be Fleet Admiral, can TacoFangs make that happen?

I can call you fleet Admiral, is that good enough?
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Where did you get that? Did you make it or was it part of the stuff Perpetual did? If it's owned by Cryptic, get that in game now.

Or at least rename RALH (Rear admiral, lower half to Commodore.) Please.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Where did you get that? Did you make it or was it part of the stuff Perpetual did? If it's owned by Cryptic, get that in game now.

Or at least rename RALH (Rear admiral, lower half to Commodore.) Please.

As has been pointed out before the many times this topic has come up, Rear Admiral Lower Half/Upper Half are real, military ranks from which Star Trek draws from, Commodore hasn't been seen as a rank since before TNG, and was presumed to have been replaced with RALH.
  • loardgeraldloardgerald Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Get the art department, these must be ingame immediately.

where did u get this photo at