• Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    hi guys, id love to write my own stories,
    how do you start and how do you get into the foundry and
    what do you need to do to put up your own stories/episodes etc

and how do you guys handle all the tech stuff when explaining things
    in the stories etc?

Foundry is offline right now. But, when it's back...

http://starbaseugc.com

Visit the tutorials section:

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/noob-guides/tutorials-guide/

good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    evil70thevil70th Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hey Milo,

Starbase UGC is a great resource to help you getting started. Check out the How do you write your mission thread in this forum. There are a lot of great resources in the community. :)

Good luck and I look forward to playing/reviewing your work.
    Brian
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    and how do you guys handle all the tech stuff when explaining things in the stories etc?

For canon tech (and pretty much everything else canon), the Trek Wiki Memory Alpha is pretty much the go-to site for story research. For STO-specific tech, STOwiki fills the same bill.

That said, I try to keep technobabble to a minimum in my dialogue. My tech-related mission objectives tend to follow TOS's tried-and-true concept of finding the troublesome tech's power source and shutting it down, taking control of it, or whatever.
  • Options
    miloguyaussiemiloguyaussie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thanks guys, does it cost any thing to use the foundry editing or what ever program
    i cant tell now that its down

also what character likeness , is that allowed or against copyright ?
    Ie if I wanted to use Date etc as a back story ?
    Milo Knight -Star fleet Engineer

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thanks guys, does it cost any thing to use the foundry editing or what ever program
    i cant tell now that its down

also what character likeness , is that allowed or against copyright ?
    Ie if I wanted to use Date etc as a back story ?

The foundry is apart of STO. The only real cost is in dilithium in which you have to buy missions slots with. As a subscriber you get 8 free mission slots and can accmulate upto 40. Bt as a F2Per you can only by upto 8 slots.

7k dilthium for 2 slots, 10K for 4 slots. So it's relatively cheap.

You buy slots and then you can create a foundry character.

Both of which can be done when you click the 'create content' button from the character login screen.

To preview a map you need to login in as a fondry character of the same allegiance as the mission you are editing.

Though foundry characters are relatively throw away. So if you want to switch between fed and KDF missions. Yo can simply delete and create a new one everytime you switch between a fed or KDF mission.

As for yor other questions the likeness of Actors and RL figures (historical or otherwise)are not allowed. But that does not mean you cannot reference what a specific character has done. Or use them in a way where you don't actually see them in the mission.

Let's say as the backstory you wanted to follow a story on and describe what happens to the Baku (from Insurrection). You can use dates, describe what happened make reference to characters. But you can't have Data appear as either an actual NPC on a map. Or as headshot for dialogueing with.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Though foundry characters are relatively throw away. So if you want to switch between fed and KDF missions. Yo can simply delete and create a new one everytime you switch between a fed or KDF mission.
    unless you're like me and would rather test missions with an admiral. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    thanks again ,
    are there any quick ways to get dilithium ?
    ive only managed a few thousand through mining etc

i got 100k in ec but don't know if i could use that to buy dilithium ?

oh say i did a time travel mission , and inter acted with picard by just text?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thanks again ,

As long as you don't show his face (likeness) in the dialogue screen- you can use him yes.
    Example: During the time travel mission you meet up with the Enterprise D and hail them.
    1. You can show the Enterprise D no problem- or any other ship in the shows/films.
    2. You would have to make an excuse to not see Picard or any other crewmember- like visual display is offline or there's too much distortion to get a visual or any other tech excuse for not showing him. I'd suggest using the image of a crate of something since you have to put something in the box beside the dialogue (unless they've changed that with this new patch).
    3. I'll throw this in there just so you know. You can have Q in game, but he can't appear as his likeness in the show. So you can have him appear as a woman or an animal or something except a white male. Even if you think your white male looks nothing like him- you'll be treading close to risky waters.
    You can also have Data- just not in his recognisable body. Perhaps his memory has downloaded into another android or computer console. In the Foundry, anything is possible.
    The only character you can use is Worf- though it has to be the old worf that sulks around on Qo'noS. You can use that likeness as much as you like. I have him fly your ship in one of my missions.

Hope that all helps.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thanks again ,
    are there any quick ways to get dilithium ?
    ive only managed a few thousand through mining etc

i got 100k in ec but don't know if i could use that to buy dilithium ?

You can't convert EC to dil directly. the only way is to buy doffs(or doff packs) and dismiss them for dil.

I get most of my dilithium from doing Doff missions. The base dil reward for most doff missions is 5, but critical successes usually give at least 100 dil. there's a few that have a base dil reward higher than 5, those give at least 200 on a crit. there's also one for turning in contraband for Dil, this take 5 contraband and rewards 2k dil.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Easy ways of Getting Dilithium.

Do the Strange New Worlds Daily.

Pick up any Explore a Star Cluster mission and run it. If you are High enough level I reccomend also picking up the B'tran dailies too. That way yo can get doble the dilithim for the same amount of work.

Starfleet/Klingon Academy have events where yo can pick up things called 'Particle Fragments' and then trade them in for dilithium. If you've done the Breen FE series then there are daily missions in that area that you can do to earn dilithium.

You can also run STFs if high level enough. They give arond 480.

Same with the Mirror Invasion event.
  • Options
    blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    how do you start and how do you get into the foundry

Well this has pretty well been overall answered it runs 10K dilithum for the first 4 story slots and 10K for every additional 4 slots. But a word of warning, some users (MikeWendell) encounter trouble getting it to function even after they have the 10K dilithum. They have reported the problem to the devs without much success. I blame Mike for being a Mac user :D
    any quick ways to get dilithium ?

Yes, you can get the 10K in about 3 to 4 days. DOFFs (duty officers) when placed on assignment will rake in. One of the best assignments for this is nabbing contraband off your crew. You can turn in 3 contraband items to any security officer and get a lot of diithum.
    what character likeness , is that allowed or against copyright

This is a basic butt shield agreement to keep CBS and the die hard trekkies off our backs. Some people have "issues" with the stories generated by this game. Some people who play this game have some real mental issues as well.

But you should be able to tell us a kick a$$ original story without having to use someone who was on the TV or movies... assuming we get the Foundry back. Until then go get that Dilithum Milo!! :)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    thanks again

I just had a thought, I watched an episode on voyager and there was another Q, as well as the Q we know and love to hate, can I make a story with another Q involved?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes, you can make another Q.
    I think Cryptic actually would like people to do that more than to use existing characters from the shows/films.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    i notice the foundry missions are back up,
    but is the create side up ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    No and I doubt it will be in my lifetime. :D

The last time it was "upgraded" it down for a month. It has been down for 3 weeks and some will tell you to go play it on the tribble server, but that is the testing server and no one "plays" on there. There is a warning that they clean out the server periodically so anything posted is considered temporary at best.

Maybe next week or next month?
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    WHOO HOO! It is up and running, yeah!

I just got the phone call, and I would call you too Blargskull, but it is only 6:30 am. :)
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    when i look at the at where the create part is for the foundry its blacked out

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If you have the 10,000 dilithium that could be an issue.

You might want to look through the forum for others with the same issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    i got to over 10k dilithium and now have some foundry slots ,
    and also another character slot!!!

thanks for all your help

now to think of a story!!

ps can i save a story as I go along?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    struth, this is going to be a lot harder than i thought,:eek:
    even with looking at the foundry links you guys gave me...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If you have problems and need some assistance with a specific issue come and join us in the StarbaseUGC chat room.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/chat/

Or your IRC client of choice irc.geekshed.net #starbaseugc
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    thanks , ill do that

Id like to have my contact ,eet on the players ship
    ie in a ready room , like they did for the Q mission in the game

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    samerikersameriker Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You can build rooms up by making use of the few walls and little furniture they give you access to in the Foundry. People make up rooms using hallways or you can block off the bridge and appear in the generic captain's ready room but there will be no trophies etc.. Some wall doors open and others don't and they are not very good telling us which is which. This editor is like giving your child half a box of Legos and no instructions.

Personally I started with something simple and now I hope to make something people will actually play. LoL

My first and only mission is out there. It is a basic space shoot out with some enemies. I think the req lvl is 16 or higher because it has Romulans.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    There is also a ready room on most or all of the bridge maps in the Foundry. If you don't want the player to be able to walk out onto the bridge itself, just put one of the wall assets or the invisible wall asset in between to block access.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    There is also a ready room on most or all of the bridge maps in the Foundry. If you don't want the player to be able to walk out onto the bridge itself, just put one of the wall assets or the invisible wall asset in between to block access.

that might be another way of doing it

also thought of using Quarks bar in ds9 too,
    like they do in the show, have gatherings in the bar etc..
    if i could work out how to do that..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jrod96jrod96 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    how much is it to get one Foundry slot?

I have been trying to get the foundry for a while now and i still do not know so can some one please tell me?
  • Options
    miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i think i used 10k of dilitium if i remember right?

if you mean the editor, when you log in and get to your character screen ,
    up the top there is regular play and create, click on create and go from there