test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tour the Universe Tactics

caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
In game I keep seeing people boasting in the chat channels about earning multiple millions (3,4,5 etc) of EC from the Tour the Universe event. I simply don't see how this is possible so thought I'd start this thread to share some tactics and maybe learn a trick or two.

My experience of the event is thus:
I usually run it with Borg engines, DI and RP and I have about 7 points in driver coil.
This gives me a standard speed of about Transwarp 26.2 and with slipstream speed of about 37.
I'm not the fastest thing in space (largely due to not having maxed driver coil) but I'm not too far off.

I use the following route.
Green lines represent the shifts in position that go with zone transitions
Orange lines are the bits I tend to do in slipstream (nice long straight bits).

Doing this I can usually get round 4 and a bit times, each circuit take me just around 12-13 minutes.
Each full circuit gives 50,000EC/area so 350,000EC total
I usually manage to squeeze a further 150-200,000 in from the partial circuit.

Giving me a total maximum of around 1,600,000 EC from the event.

Now I must be missing something pretty significant if over double that is possible. . . going round 8+ times in an hour. I suspect some bull is being spouted but I'm open to having missed something.

Also I do see quite a few ships that are almost matching me for speed that DON'T have the Borg engine effect. As far as I'm aware Borg engines and Asynchronous Warp Field are the only two item related things that boost speed in sector space. . . . and Borg Engines are better. Am I missing something?
Post edited by caliban149 on

Comments

• trillscientisttrillscientist Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There is a tactic for doing only partial laps, covering only a few sectors, and using the freighter mission near ESD to jump back. Then you drop the mission, dock, pick it up again, and do that partial lap again.
    Unfortunately i seem to have misplaced the map for that partial lap...
  • blunted74blunted74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Got this from the wiki:

The absolute fastest speed possible in sector space is Warp 43.28, requiring Driver Coil 9x, Diplomatic Immunity, Raiding Party, M.A.C.O. Impulse Engines Mk XII and a Critical Success in Assignment: Perform Antimatter Containment Leak Drills.

http://www.stowiki.org/Ability:_Quantum_Slipstream_Drive

EDIT - realized this is just in slipstream. Not sure how it measures overall time vs the Borg engines. Maybe a theorycrafter can shed more light.
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    verlaine11 wrote: »

Ah I see, so my skipping Romulan space and losing 50k EC you can streamline things.
    Very useful, I will try that!
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Anyone got a KDF route ? With DI and a borg engine I can almost squeeze 3 runs (every sector) but I think I still can shave a few seconds of each run.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Having not done one of these before, if you drop the mission in the end before you transwarp to Earth, would you get the credits for where you've been? Do you not have to go talk to what's his name in the bar to get the credits?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • cavaduscavadus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You need to pick up a two, possibly three, episode missions since they grant the ability to transwarp directly to them. This allows one to skip lots of needless travel time. I know one of them is "Everything Old Is New", I forget the other one, and the last one which is kind of optional is just the one which has a transwarp to the Gamma Orionis transwarp conduit in Sirius.
    grylak wrote: »
    Having not done one of these before, if you drop the mission in the end before you transwarp to Earth, would you get the credits for where you've been? Do you not have to go talk to what's his name in the bar to get the credits?

No, you get the credits instantly upon completing the objective but you're still gonna have to retake the quest from him so you can repeat it for more money.
    edited September 2012
    cavadus wrote: »
    You need to pick up a two, possibly three, episode missions since they grant the ability to transwarp directly to them. This allows one to skip lots of needless travel time. I know one of them is "Everything Old Is New", I forget the other one, and the last one which is kind of optional is just the one which has a transwarp to the Gamma Orionis transwarp conduit in Sirius.

No, you get the credits instantly upon completing the objective but you're still gonna have to retake the quest from him so you can repeat it for more money.

Hmmmm.....
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I can complete 4 runs on my Gorn officer. He is in the Varanus with Borg engines and I believe max driver coil. Each complete run takes me about 14 min each. Looking at some of the strategies I have seen here, I am certain I can cut it down.

I will post a picture of my route when I get home.
  • ggg247ggg247 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I use my VA in an Odyssey. I don't have extra points in Driver Coil, no Borg engine, no DI and no RP. With just my Quantum Slipstream, I can do the OP's route twice in 47 minutes, for 700k EC.

Recently, I tried some partial routes for comparison purposes. I travel from ESD straight down to Eta Eridian, across towards Klingon space (for the 50k EC Klingon sector), U-turn it back across Eta to Defera space (a quick 50k), back to Eta, up to Sirius to the Transwarp Gate into Borg and Undine sectors (50k each), drop the mission, and transwarp back to ESD. I can do this route 5 times in an hour, for 1 million EC.

The big time killer here is traversing down from ESD to Eta. Once I get 1000 more Diplomacy xp, I'll be able to transwarp directly from ESD to K7, saving me some valuable time.

Also, take the Azura mission before you start. Then you can use the mission transwarp to go from Borg space back to just-outside the Sol system, saving the transwarp cooldown timer.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    caliban149 wrote: »
    I use the following route.
    Green lines represent the shifts in position that go with zone transitions
    Orange lines are the bits I tend to do in slipstream (nice long straight bits).

Doing this I can usually get round 4 and a bit times, each circuit take me just around 12-13 minutes.
    Each full circuit gives 50,000EC/area so 350,000EC total
    I usually manage to squeeze a further 150-200,000 in from the partial circuit.

Giving me a total maximum of around 1,600,000 EC from the event.

That route is based off mine and another racers research during F2P Beta, which is the route that was later added to STOwiki.

But later we discovered a MUCH FASTER route, which involved Mission Transwarps and (I'm not joking), can get a total of 6 Laps (providing the server is cooperating, up to 6 Laps + 4 Sectors). This yielded more than 2.1 million EC (minus Transwarp Expenses) and over 900 CXP per race.

This method doesn't really necessitates the need for the Odyssey's Advanced Slipstream, but Borg Engines and DL + RP Buffs do help add to shed off an extra minute off the time and can work on any ship. And you only need a green Astrometric's DOFF to get the Transwarp Cooldown to under 8 minutes for the final jump from Pelia back to Earth.
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    verlaine11 wrote: »

I'm slightly confused with this route.
    Step 3. If you change instance to go in Beta Ursae and get put onto the other side of the block, did it count the Bajor sector?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
    edited September 2012
    Step 3. If you change instance to go in Beta Ursae and get put onto the other side of the block, did it count the Bajor sector?

Me too, 5 blocks on that route. How many times per hour ? If 6 then thats 30 blocks, still short of my 3X12=36 without mission transwarps or other such nonsense.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• starwheelerstarwheeler Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hey! one thing when you cross a nother ship just be kind to give then Diplomatic Immunity thats what i do any way
  • starwheelerstarwheeler Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    non cence or is it for biginer cuse i do 3.5 tour in an houre???
  • jaxjaguarsjaxjaguars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

On that route, the point is to get to Defera/Orellius, not to get Cardi Space counted. To get Cardi Money, you'll have to have completed Alpha Trianguli, Zeta Andromedae, AND Beta Ursae. You can see there is no route going into AT or ZA.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Be simpler to use a Mission Transwarp to Defera than waste time going through Beta.

Honestly, I don't think doing the race by this method is any better than running the full race since you get the racing bonsues.
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

The point of it is to do those sectors which are very quick, that is why there is no Romulan, Cardassian and Fed completions

Eta space is just 1 long run
    Pelia is just 1 sector
    Borg space is just a quick swerve in the centre and Orellius is just up and hang a quick right

to do all the other sectors takes a lot of time which can be used for doing more quicker runs
  • miloguymiloguy Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2012
  • wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ggg247 wrote: »
    The big time killer here is traversing down from ESD to Eta. Once I get 1000 more Diplomacy xp, I'll be able to transwarp directly from ESD to K7, saving me some valuable time.

If you're in a fleet you can use the transwarp to the fleet starbase.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU