test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Defiant and the Romulan cloak

coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Ten Forward
This thread is my last resort as I could not find a proper reason for this. So guys please enlighten me..
In DS9 after the discovery of the Dominion and the defiant being commissioned under Sisko, the Romulans gave a cloaking device to Starfleet. Now during that time, Feds and Klingons were still allies.. so why didn't the feds approach the Klingons for the cloak?? According to Rom in DS9 they were even supposed to more portable!
Was there a reason the defiant was outfitted with a Romulan cloak or did the writers at the time forget that starfleet's allies had cloaking tech as well?? :confused:

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
Post edited by coldicephoenix on

Comments

• Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's been AGES since i've seen DS9

But wasnt it something to do with KDF cloaks being penetrated by the Dominion antiproton sweep?

That or if i remember the federation was kinda at war with the Klingons?

Or my final guess is, to have a cloak on ANY federation ship would break a treaty with the Romulans, the Romulans agreed for the federation to go around the treaty in exchange for all sensor data on the Gamma Quadrent and to have a romulan Technician to operate the cloak. (who died and for some reason the romulans didnt ask for their cloak back)
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    coldicephoenixcoldicephoenix Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    That was pretty much the explanation. The Romulans should feel taken seriously.

Too bad the writers could not use the opportunity to introduce a regular Romulan character.

Yea.. would have been nice to see a Romulan regular. It could have reached the scale of seeing a Klingon regular back in TNG days..

I think it was much later in the series dominion manages to see through the klingon cloak (in that episode where Kor is back..) Though I'm still wondering why the feds didn't just team up with the klingons and chart the gamma quadrant in a BoP before things went all ape-****..

We still live!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaa! We live and we will conquer!!!!! Hahahahahaaha!

-Roach, when asked about Klingon extinction!
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    At the time Defiant got original cloak KDF were still allies. I think it was a possibility that they were thinking about a romulan regular and then decided against it after that episode. I for one would love to see a romulan cultural exchange instead of putting worf on ds9 as it would have allowed another story arc rather than more klingon lore.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I thought it was the Romulans who went to the Federation. They agreed to waive the Treaty of Algeron (banning the use of Cloaking Devices on Federation Vessels) this one time, provided the cloak was only engaged in the Gamma Quadrant and there was a romulan operator, and in return, Starfleet shared all info they discovered about the Dominion.

The intention was for that operator to be a regular, but they just couldn't come up with enough stuff to warrant paying the actress regularly, so she just dissapeared after The Search.

Only to appear on Voyager as a Bajoran disguised Cardassian.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    its all because of the treaty between the ropmulans and the feds. if they had used a Klingon cloak during the series it could very well have been seen by the romulans as violating the treaty and as an indirect act of war. im not sure who approached who to begin with but the feds got a cloak and the romulans got information.

starfleet could probably make a cloak in a heartbeat if they wanted to. only the treaty stops them.
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    I thought it was the Romulans who went to the Federation. They agreed to waive the Treaty of Algeron (banning the use of Cloaking Devices on Federation Vessels) this one time, provided the cloak was only engaged in the Gamma Quadrant and there was a romulan operator, and in return, Starfleet shared all info they discovered about the Dominion.

Yeah it was a one off for the USS Defiant only, for use exclusively in the Gamma Quadrant in exchange for all information and intelligence on the Dominion. After the prototype USS Defiant was lost the replacement wasn't given a cloak. At least that's what it says in all sources I have read. Considering a war was on and all parties were heavily involved in it, there simply was no point.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    borgcrusherborgcrusher Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    well the defiant was awesome so no wonder the feds got the clock
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    robeasom wrote: »
    starfleet could probably make a cloak in a heartbeat if they wanted to. only the treaty stops them.

They did. Pegasus.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'