test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Different Views

craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
not sure if there was already a topic on this somewhere, hiding in the forums, but heres a thought.

Would it be possible to have a key binding to change views. Like, for example, in car racing games, you generally get to change views, from external to cockpit views.
My thought was, is it possible to have the option of being able to change views from the bridge where your looking thru the on viewer from the captains chair and maybe even walk around your ship a bit? :)
The external view, i think is kool when your in battles as you can better locate enemies and threats, but if your just cruisin around, then maybe people would like the option of " sitting in the captains chair " :)
With the ability to set up what your bridge looks like?

Same with first person to third person views of your character. Is it possible to get the option to be able to change views as we want?

I know everyone will have their own opionons on this. Some might like it, some might not, if they dont like it, they can keep their game in " as is " state.

Those that do like it, can swap an change as they please.

I know i would like to be able to swap between bridge view when just cruising around, to external views and move the camera around when in battles.

Just thought i would put this out there. :)
I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
planet-space-sun.jpg
Post edited by craig76 on

Comments

• maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Having the actual view of your game screen would be interesting but implementation would be problematic. The space view is your avatar with your costume being the ships exterior instead of a space suit or body in a uniform, bridge view is essentially a ground game using a generic map of your ships interior with your avatar in a uniformed body interacting with it, the problem would be separation of ground controls from ship controls as well as having your space game with it's map running simultaneously with the interior ground game map, essentially 2 games running simultaneously.
    Also even if implemented, there is no real radar screen (a 2D map with limited indication of enemy ships position) , and the view through the viewscreen would be of a limited arc (45 degrees forward), you would be missing much of the spacial awareness gained from an exterior 3rd person view making the space game very difficult for even the simplest things.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • sketch54301sketch54301 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have a solution for you. I"m all about "immersion", so I play in first person in space using voice control a lot of the time.

To get a first person view in space, i type this into the chat window "/camoffset 15" That places the camera to the right of your ship far enough that you won't see the ship at all when zoomed all the way up. It's as close as i think STO can get to a bridge view in space.

Also, if you need to switch to a tactical view where you can see your ship, just zoom out. your ship will be a bit off-center, but it still looks great.

I have bound the "/camoffset 15" to a key and set the camera mode to chase. that way when you turn the ship, the camera still faces the direction you're going.

I have another keybind that switches the camera to follow target, so you can put a target "on screen".

Enjoy

-Admiral Henry :)
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A limited bridge view of the view screen is plausible but the captain and crew would be "fixed", you would not be able to move around the bridge or interact with it in any other way without encountering to problems I described previously.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    thanks for the replies guys.
    Ijust thought it might be worthwhile something to look into. Keep the devs busy :)

@sketch I like the sounds of that, i will give that a try. Thanks :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • sketch54301sketch54301 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Glad i could help. Make sure to post and let us know how you like it :)
    edited July 2013
    sorry for the ultra late reply, i totally forgot all about this til recently lol.
    Anyway, i tried and messed around with different values, like "/camoffset 20" or "/camoffset 30", i like it. Instead of 3rd person view, it's like my TV has become the viewer screen, and my chair, well, thats the captains chair lol. Bit more immersive like that.....So, thanks for the posts :D
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited July 2013
    Glad i could help. Make sure to post and let us know how you like it :)

sorry for the ultra late reply, i totally forgot all about this til recently lol.
    Anyway, i tried and messed around with different values, like "/camoffset 20" or "/camoffset 30", i like it. Instead of 3rd person view, it's like my TV has become the viewer screen, and my chair, well, thats the captains chair lol. Bit more immersive like that.....So, thanks for the posts :D
    planet-space-sun.jpg