test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there an easy way to find romulan ale and dosi rotgut???

chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I have repeated missions and done loads of ground stuff everywhere but romulan ale hardly ever comes up. Its the same now with getting tulaberries for dosi rotgut too.
I dont bother with the exchange as the prices are a complete rip off.
Is there some easy way in completing the bar project?
Getting 250 bottles each of the ale and rotgut is virtually impossible to do from what i have seen.
Post edited by chaz200565 on

Comments

• emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    confiscate contraband is one.. but there are several doff missions that will provide those rewards..

but still 250 each will take some time
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Aren't the odd of getting Romulan Ale better when you're in the Romulan sectors? I seem to recall someone stating that.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • aeonjeanaeonjean Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Rarity is why the Ale is so high. Last time I checked it only comes from two doff missions or a rare ground drop.

The wiki says Dosi Rotgut only comes from Doff assignments.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ale is an (occasional) combat drop in the Romulan story arc

Or you can ASK people
    Live long and Prosper
  • emt27emt27 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    not sure on that one.. but seem to get it often enough at the home bases for klingon and fed
    Say something relavant or hold your tongue
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It IS virtually impossible.
    For a small fleet at least.

Dosi Rotgut could be grinded out. The DOFF mission gives 1 bottle on success and 3 on a crit.
    I dunno what the CD is but in my experience its gotta be at least 24hrs. Also lets say the Crit chance is 25% (usually around there with decent Doffs)

So 6 bottles or so every 4 days, minimum time for one person to grind out 250 bottles would take 160-170 days. Assuming 24hr CD
    Divide by no of ppl in fleet.
    Pretty ridiculous.

The Romulan Ale however is utterly stupid, in my entire time playing STO I think I have about 30-40 bottles of it. There is NO way guaranteeing a supply except the exchange and the prices are silly.
    I seem to remember someone worked out and even if you bought the lot there wasn't even enough up there to supply one fleets bartender!

I'm pretty sure I read that the reward for the mission is just a clone of the bartender in your ship. DON'T BOTHER!

They either need to change this mission, or add an easier way to get the stuff.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Extremely simple fix -- make it so the fleet bartender *sells* Dosi Rotgut and Romulan Ale (at whatever price the *devs* find appropriate, which will probably be orders of magnitude below what it is on exchange).

Until then, I suggest all fleets avoiding this project until they know they can complete it in a timely fashion.
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    the bartender on your ship does have a mission to fix a random special drink. its not always a success and it wont always be the right drink, and it has a cooldown but if you are in your mess hall its worth doing.
  • haglahayhaglahay Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I get Romulan Ale fairly often from the "Confiscate Contraband" mission, and the Dosi Rotgut comes from the one mission using 3 Tulaberries. Hanging out in space near DS9 brings these missions up pretty much daily.
  • thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You'll sometimes get romulan ale and/or dosi rotgut from the confiscate contraband assignment (24h cd). If you've finished the tulaberry biochemical investigation chain, you can sometimes find an assignment in your personal tab to make a cocktail from tulaberries - succcess gives 1 dosi rotgut, crit gives 3, 24h cd. You can get romulan ale from one of the outcomes of the assignments from your bartender on your ship, but I forget which assignment and which outcome. I don't know if the bartender assignments can give dosi rotgut.

The starbase bartender contact is pretty much a waste of resources. All it gives is the same bartender contact that's available on every ship.
  • peferctwombatpeferctwombat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have thousands of bottles of romulan ale stored on my toons.

How many would you like to barter for?
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Extremely simple fix -- make it so the fleet bartender *sells* Dosi Rotgut and Romulan Ale (at whatever price the *devs* find appropriate, which will probably be orders of magnitude below what it is on exchange).

Until then, I suggest all fleets avoiding this project until they know they can complete it in a timely fashion.

If they ever add Romulans, I could see a vendor selling it, like Klingons with Blood Wine (that too us an uncommon drink).

But yeah, grinding out Rotgut is gunna take time via Contraband and the Tulaberry mission. Since it was revealed what it takes to get the bartender, I started doing these missions more frequently and so far I'm about 1/4th the way with Romulan Ale (60 Bottles) and 30 Bottles of Rotgut. So at the rate I'm going, won't unlock the Bartender til December.

Which begs the question, what is the Bartender going to offer that the ship bartender doesn't? Unlocking these DOFFs to have them the same as our ship vendors seems unfulfilling.
  • ds9fan2ds9fan2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, I sold some rotgut on the exchange for 500,000! Thanks, someone.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My fleet has stated that they won't do this upgrade project until there is enough Romulan Ale and Dosi Rotgut. Of course, some clueless person could set the project not knowing any better and cause immense grief by trying to remove this upgrade project.
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Romulan ale drops when you kill romulans on the romulan episodes
    and stf mission romulan temple
  • bronzesilencebronzesilence Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Aren't the odd of getting Romulan Ale better when you're in the Romulan sectors? I seem to recall someone stating that.

I can second this. I've gotten all of my ale from the Romulan specific missions and once from a Crit Success doff mission.
  • harryquinnharryquinn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've also gotten most of my Romulan Ale while doing ground missions against Romulans, with the occasional addition from Confiscate Contraband missions. Maybe one or two per, but I haven't seen one from the Tal Shiar missions.

Try replaying the Minefield mission if you're Fleet. If you're KDF... Ask someone who plays KDF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I frequently chuck Romulan Ale out the airlock, try scanning space. You should find enough bottles to open a vineyard. (In all seriousness, it's a pretty common loot drop; if not, exchange.)

Dosi Rotgut, though... People get it, nobody sells it because there's no market for it. It's pretty useless atm. I'd say ask in a few Global channels.
  • phyrexianherophyrexianhero Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    haglahay wrote: »
    I get Romulan Ale fairly often from the "Confiscate Contraband" mission, and the Dosi Rotgut comes from the one mission using 3 Tulaberries. Hanging out in space near DS9 brings these missions up pretty much daily.

You and Captain Revo brought up a great point -- there are semi-reliable ways to get these drinks. The probably is quantity -- even if you could guarantee you got 2 a day it'd still take 4 months to finish the project. And if someone has it queued -- no more upgrades whatsoever until its done. :eek:
    Playing since January 2010. STOwiki administrator. Accolade hunter.
    My STOwiki page | Reachable in-game @PhyrexianHero
    Fed Armada: Section 31 (level 730, 2700+ members)
    KDF Armada: Klingon Intelligence (level 699, 2100+ members)
  • mspfuelermspfueler Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Our fleet ran into the same issue. No rotgut. Finally just bit the bullet and spent close to 30 million of fleet ec's and bought what we needed off the exchange. A million ec's each from 30 members replenished the coffers. It helps that we're a 400+ member fleet. For the small fleets, just ignore it unless needed for Tier 3.

Now to have a cold one at the bar and scrape the Targ TRIBBLE of my boots !
    Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    caliban149 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I read that the reward for the mission is just a clone of the bartender in your ship. DON'T BOTHER!

Yup, it is IDENTICAL to the Bartender on your ship, as is the Science, Engineering, and Tactical DOFF Contacts missions (and I assume the Chef and Counselor when people get to those). I didn't mind spending the 9 Purple DOFFs for the Science, Engineering, and Tactical DOFF Contacts because I actually use those regularly, But WILL NOT get the Bartender, Chef or Counselor unless they are significantly changed to provide some incentive (and if the Bartender cost is any indication I won't be getting them anyway).
  • buzzoutbuzzout Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think the thing that bothers me most about the whole romulan ale thing it that it's completely contrary to Star Trek cannon. Romulan ale is illegal. How did it become a requirement to equip a star base in the first place? This would be like the USA putting heroin in the specs for building a navy base...it would never happen!
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    buzzout wrote: »
    I think the thing that bothers me most about the whole romulan ale thing it that it's completely contrary to Star Trek cannon. Romulan ale is illegal. How did it become a requirement to equip a star base in the first place? This would be like the USA putting heroin in the specs for building a navy base...it would never happen!

Heroin is not the right comparison for Romulan Ale. More like Cuban cigars.

We've seen Romulan Ale every time there's ever been any kind of diplomatic function in Star Trek, with the exception of TOS. It appears there isn't a Starfleet facility that doesn't keep it on hand.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You and Captain Revo brought up a great point -- there are semi-reliable ways to get these drinks. The probably is quantity -- even if you could guarantee you got 2 a day it'd still take 4 months to finish the project. And if someone has it queued -- no more upgrades whatsoever until its done. :eek:

4 months for *one* person. *One* person shouldn't be in a fleet by his or herself.

That goes down to 12 days for a fleet of 10.

Or you could just skip the project until everyone has the resources...
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I can see this becoming a major bottle neck.

I see what you did there.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You and Captain Revo brought up a great point -- there are semi-reliable ways to get these drinks. The probably is quantity -- even if you could guarantee you got 2 a day it'd still take 4 months to finish the project. And if someone has it queued -- no more upgrades whatsoever until its done.
    4 months for *one* person. *One* person shouldn't be in a fleet by his or herself.

That goes down to 12 days for a fleet of 10.

Or you could just skip the project until everyone has the resources...

Especially since every player probably has at least two characters, which cuts the time in half as well.

Seriously, if you're running a starbase alone or with a small number of people it really pays off to invest Zen in a couple of character slots. Just level them to 7 and refresh certain assignments every 2-3 days: recruitment, cultural exchanges, tulaberries, turn over contraband, nadorc, confiscate contraband, resettle & deport colonists, officer report & quiz dailies (plus any pillage/raid/disable assignment on KDF). Takes about 5 minutes per char and you don't have to leave Quo'nos/Sol.

It pays off especially when the fleet marks for officer report weeks are running.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Especially since every player probably has at least two characters, which cuts the time in half as well.

Seriously, if you're running a starbase alone or with a small number of people it really pays off to invest Zen in a couple of character slots. Just level them to 7 and refresh certain assignments every 2-3 days: recruitment, cultural exchanges, tulaberries, turn over contraband, nadorc, confiscate contraband, resettle & deport colonists, officer report & quiz dailies (plus any pillage/raid/disable assignment on KDF). Takes about 5 minutes per char and you don't have to leave Quo'nos/Sol.

It pays off especially when the fleet marks for officer report weeks are running.

At current prices, a character slot pays for itself in Dil-to-Zen within 30 days.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think it should even be a bit lower. Its 266 (313) Zen per character, depending on weather you buy the 4 or 2 slot package.

266 Zen (313) x154 Zen/Dil (current exchange ratio) = 40.964 Dilithium (48.202) per character

@8.000 dilithium a day = 5,12 days/char (6,01 days/char)

or the one-click version (1 turn-in, quiz daily, officer report daily, relocate/resettle colonists):

@4.420 dilithium a day = 9,26 days/char (10,9 days/char)

:)
  • caramba3caramba3 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Dosi Rotgut is to collect after the Chain:
    Biochemical investigations: tulaberies (4 assignments)

After that You can get daily assignment: 1 or 3 dosi rotgut from it.

Sometimes the assignment start at the Fleet academy

Romulone ale possible get it from the ground missions ( boxes)