test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #26 Discussion Thread

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited September 2012 in Ten Forward
Literary Challenge #26 : Senior Officers
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #26 : Senior Officers.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing! :cool:
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• trojanborgtrojanborg Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I like this idea as my imagination wonders at the relations between each character. Pardon me if it seems silly to ask but, is the point of view supposed to be from the the senior staff members or from the Captain as usual?
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So......

Just post up the bios of my characters from in game?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Very interesting concept for this challenge.

I might participate in this one. :)
    76561198160276582.png
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    trojanborg wrote: »
    I like this idea as my imagination wonders at the relations between each character. Pardon me if it seems silly to ask but, is the point of view supposed to be from the the senior staff members or from the Captain as usual?

grylak wrote: »
    So......
    Just post up the bios of my characters from in game?

As far as i've seen so far it's pretty much up to you. you can do either/or or maybe a little of both. Branflakes usually gives plenty of leeway to let the writer do what works best for the story.

I already know exactly how i'm going to be doing this one and will be jumping on it after i get back.
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hmmm....have to wait till I get home tonight to do this, but seems like quite a project. I've always found the ability to write biographies for your bridge officers a great way to bring them to life, and wondered why you can't read those bios when on the bridge.
    edited August 2012
    Awww, only allowed 1 entry. I was thinking of just posting up all my bios, and then later when i have time write something in character. Like Roderick and Mirat destroyed The Bar. Again. While Gar threw an ice grenade at them. I think I'll just write the in character bit instead. Would be more entertaining.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • amurorx0amurorx0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So I put up my entry.

This time it takes the form of my captain trying not to think about what he is about to do,so he slips in and out of reflective reminiscing.
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    amurorx0 wrote: »
    So I put up my entry.

This time it takes the form of my captain trying not to think about what he is about to do,so he slips in and out of reflective reminiscing.

Very good story. I hope that Zazhid says yes!! :D

Also, I'd like to send you a friend request in-game, so do you think you could tell me your in-game @handle? :o:cool:
    76561198160276582.png
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I thought about entering this (I've never really done one of these) but I couldn't think of a way other than just expanding this http://memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/Story:Star_Trek:_The_Ongoing_Mission#Main_Characters it would feel too much like a list. Then again it could be in the form of a PADD entry, an overview of senior officer applicants or something?
    edited August 2012
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    I thought about entering this (I've never really done one of these) but I couldn't think of a way other than just expanding this http://memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/Story:Star_Trek:_The_Ongoing_Mission#Main_Characters it would feel too much like a list. Then again it could be in the form of a PADD entry, an overview of senior officer applicants or something?

I had the same thought, which is why I wrapped a story around it the way I did.

In the end, the only limitation is your imagination. :)
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    So I put up my entry.

GAH! that's vaguely similar to how i was doing mine. Not entirely of course but My captain is just left with time to think after an injury so he starts thinking about his crew.
    edited August 2012
    I've thought of what form this is gonna take. One of my officers is writing a letter home to her mum about her time on the ship. It's perfect!

edited August 2012
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Very good story. I hope that Zazhid says yes!! :D

All will become clear in my next entry, ideally as an integral part.

If not, I'll be dropping hints a plenty :P
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Posted my own entry last night. The real challenge seems to be that you feel you aren't doing the characters justice with a short description, but writing what you want to would be a few short stories all their own (and be more than the single entry allowed). Hopefully, I've struck a good compromise.
    edited August 2012

I look forward to your next entry, then. :)

Also, since you seem to be as much of a Gundam Fan as I am, I would like to send you a Friend Request in STO, so we can talk with each other in-game and maybe team up sometimes. :cool:

Would that be okay? If so, I would like to know your in-game @handle, so I can send the Friend Request. :D
    76561198160276582.png
    edited August 2012

I'm hoping not but I've never liked soppy happy endings :P
    I'm cruel that way :D
    edited August 2012
    And there be my entry. I could have gone on for much, much longer, but figured best to wrap it up. Some of my crew, you will just have to find their backstories some other way. ;)

And yes, that is Ernie Houser, the DOFF man. Cos my BOFFS are friends with the DOFFS. We're all one big happy crew.

edited August 2012
    Some great entries so far. Good reads!

About the only thing I found that bothered me was the abrupt switch from third-person to first-person writing in anurorx0's entry 'Getting a little R&R (or trying to)'. Hard to tell if the entry was supposed to be a personal account or an impersonal one.

Love the differences in approach to the challenge, though!
    edited August 2012
    danqueller wrote: »
    Some great entries so far. Good reads!

About the only thing I found that bothered me was the abrupt switch from third-person to first-person writing in anurorx0's entry 'Getting a little R&R (or trying to)'. Hard to tell if the entry was supposed to be a personal account or an impersonal one.

Love the differences in approach to the challenge, though!

The third person section was narration to set the scene. The account itself is indeed intended to be from the perspective of my captain.

Very much akin to any programme where a narrator gives a quick overview, then the actual story of the day starts off.
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    The third person section was narration to set the scene. The account itself is indeed intended to be from the perspective of my captain.

Very much akin to any programme where a narrator gives a quick overview, then the actual story of the day starts off.

Ah, I see. I wasn't trying to knock it, just note that it's a bit disorienting. One thing I might suggest is to put the narration in italics to set it apart from the main text, but that would be up to you to decide if it would improve it or not, or if the disorientation itself helps tell the story.

Great job, by the way!
  • soriedemsoriedem Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is an interesting topic. I've been working on a bible for the novel series that I've got planned that features back stories for the main characters (my sto toons), and their senior officers. It's still not finished, but I suppose I could share my work so far for one of my characters. Perhaps, I'll do Pii's backstory, since he's got a very interesting first officer.
    edited August 2012
    soriedem wrote: »
    This is an interesting topic. I've been working on a bible for the novel series that I've got planned that features back stories for the main characters (my sto toons), and their senior officers. It's still not finished, but I suppose I could share my work so far for one of my characters. Perhaps, I'll do Pii's backstory, since he's got a very interesting first officer.

don't series bibles seem to take forever?
  • superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My short story is here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=5475981&postcount=7

Writing biographies can be fun, but I decided to take a different approach and show you some everyday experiences in the life of my ship's counselor, Commander sh'Raul. He's a bit blunt and to the point. I made him more like Hugh Cambridge (from the Voyager relaunch) than Deanna Troi (who I find absolutely boring).
    edited August 2012
    I got my entry in. After examining what i had available in my Bible for my upcoming novels, I decided to change it up a bit. I've decided to go with another Captain that makes an appearance in the stories. Goshen A'nar. I've got his Crew Request posted. Give it a read and feel free to leave feedback.
    edited August 2012
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    don't series bibles seem to take forever?

I've been working on this one for three months (with a month and a half downtime for STLV prep), and so far it's a forty page document, and i'm only a third of the way through. So, yes, it does take quite a bit of time, but so does a novel and especially a series of novels.
    edited August 2012
    I really could never do novels, with my attention span it's hard enough to get through short stories. But I can't make things too long or it ends up just becoming mindless waffle.
    edited August 2012
    I finally posted my story, but it feels like it's missing something. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • stellardriftstellardrift Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sorry for the small novel, but most of my characters including bridge officers have extensive back stories, and whole episodes devoted to them. My Chief Engineer currently has her own spin off series.
    edited August 2012
    Sorry for the small novel, but most of my characters including bridge officers have extensive back stories, and whole episodes devoted to them. My Chief Engineer currently has her own spin off series.

Hmm...not to be critical, but I was under the impression a 'single entry' implied a single forum post. Part of the challenge for myself was distilling what could have filled several pages into an descriptive text that didn't occupy more than that. However, the part about 'write as little or as much as you want' does sound like you could fill twenty pages of the Forums and label it a 'single entry'.

The important part is the sharing of backstories, though, and I think you did that :)
  • stellardriftstellardrift Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    danqueller wrote: »
    Hmm...not to be critical, but I was under the impression a 'single entry' implied a single forum post. Part of the challenge for myself was distilling what could have filled several pages into an descriptive text that didn't occupy more than that. However, the part about 'write as little or as much as you want' does sound like you could fill twenty pages of the Forums and label it a 'single entry'.

The important part is the sharing of backstories, though, and I think you did that :)

Actually, my entry was condensed. There is a lot more to many of these characters, and two officers were actually omitted. Hard to consolidate years of work and still get a feel for the characters involved for me.

The topic question is rather broad since my series is in full swing with about 12 different characters just on one ship alone. I try to do one post at a time, but sometimes it takes more than that when there's something I want to convey.