test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why no playable Aenar?

switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Well, as the title states, why do we not get to play as Aenar? It makes me sad... :(
Post edited by switchngc on

Comments

• darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    switchngc wrote: »
    Well, as the title states, why do we not get to play as Aenar? It makes me sad... :(
    Alien parts are there for aenar.
    • Choose "Alien" from species menu.
    • Choose traits you want.
    • Enjoy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited August 2012
    Because the Aenar aren't a popular species to consider playing as...?

But then again, neither are the Tellarites, Saurians, Rigellians, and Pakled, so my argument holds no water.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    • Enjoy.

You can use Blindsense and Project Image on "Alien" Playable Characters? My bad...
  • targpetz101targpetz101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    • Choose traits Telepathic, Mental Disipline, maybe Acute Senses.
    • Enjoy.

Of course the real issue being, they are blind, so unless Cryptic figures out some intesting "visual" for the player, it won't be right running around seeing everything like everyone else.
    [SIGPIC]This is not as good as it used to be...[/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Well, They have heightened senses that allow them to pretty much "See" everything around them without actually seeing. Kind of like how Dare Devil can sense vibrations around him and actually see based off the Pings they make.

From a gameplay standpoint, the Aenar are already playable, you just have to buy to unlock them like the Caitians, Ferasans, Fed Klingons, and KDF Joined Trill. Anyone who plays as them has full visibility just like any other race, nothing changes for the player. It's just an informed ability.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Of course the real issue being, they are blind, so unless Cryptic figures out some intesting "visual" for the player, it won't be right running around seeing everything like everyone else.

Didn't seem to have a whole lot of trouble in the show, they could even tell colors...
    Jhamel: I've never met a blue skin.
    Shran: You're blind! How can you tell my skin is blue?
    Jhamel: Don't ask me to explain. I was never very good at science.
    "The Aenar"

cusashorn wrote: »
    From a gameplay standpoint, the Aenar are already playable, you just have to buy to unlock them like the Caitians, Ferasans, Fed Klingons, and KDF Joined Trill.

I've got all of the playable character unlocks (unless this was a legacy one that is no longer available) and they are not in my list of playable races. You can get them as a purchasable Bridge Officer (like the Caitians) but not as a playable character.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You can use Blindsense and Project Image on "Alien" Playable Characters? My bad...

Heh heh.....

Yeah it's sad, there are a lot of really cool species that could be added without much difficulty. Shame they don't do it. :(
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    cusashorn wrote: »
    But then again, neither are the Tellarites, so my argument holds no water.

Captain Barbri and Admiral Gearr are insulted by this insinuation.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • mingtran2mingtran2 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Too bad in the ST universe, there is no cure for blindness, something like Eye Implants or some kind of Visor you could wear
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mingtran2 wrote: »
    Too bad in the ST universe, there is no cure for blindness, something like Eye Implants or some kind of Visor you could wear

The problem with this is, it is their blindness that allows for their other senses to be strong and superior, if the blindness were to go away, their previous strengths would weaken to balance.

I think its more likely they are not playable, because well they are rare outside their little caves, not even sure why they made them as bridge officers.

On a side note: If Romulans ever get their own faction, they should be able to enslave some of these guys, haha.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • mingtran2mingtran2 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    praghas wrote: »
    The problem with this is, it is their blindness that allows for their other senses to be strong and superior, if the blindness were to go away, their previous strengths would weaken to balance.

Even their Telepathy?
    edited August 2012
    I've got all of the playable character unlocks (unless this was a legacy one that is no longer available) and they are not in my list of playable races. You can get them as a purchasable Bridge Officer (like the Caitians) but not as a playable character.

Wait, wait, your right. You jogged my memory a little bit. It is only for the bridge officer, isn't it? yeah the race itself isn't playable, not that the informed blindness would actually present any change in gameplay for such a species.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    • Enjoy.

A few of the traits are not available as others have mentioned. I don't like my characters to be labeled as 'Aliens' anyway. I prefer the real McCoy, whether it be a Romulan, Cardassian, or Aenar.
    Didn't seem to have a whole lot of trouble in the show, they could even tell colors... "The Aenar"

Nice, good find. From Memory Alpha: "The Aenar were completely blind yet had the ability to "see"".

If they ever implement the whole Boff to Captain thing, I would imagine that would be a route one could take. I would be skeptical about them adding them anytime soon though. I am still waiting for Benzite Boffs...
  • darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012

It's a roleplaying game.

Why don't you close your eyes and roleplay you're an Aenar?

It would be IP accurate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They see through the eyes of OTHER Andorians
    They are a Tiny dying breed

if you want to play as one of these guys
    create an andorian
    then turn off your monitor
    Live long and Prosper
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Didn't seem to have a whole lot of trouble in the show, they could even tell colors...

It's called "bad writing".:)

But it's more likely she just knew what Shran looked like from Shran's own mind.

JHAMEL: I came here to apologise.
    SHRAN: For what?
    JHAMEL: When I saw you for the first time, I sensed some of your thoughts. I didn't intend to.
    SHRAN: It's never been all that hard to figure out what I'm thinking.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My understanding is that they want you to have to use a "First Officer to Playable Captain conversion" to play as any rare or exotic species., once they add that feature.

Hence why there are so many exotic BOs.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hence why there are so many exotic BOs.

There aren't enough though, there will never be enough! :D
  • harryquinnharryquinn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I prefer the real McCoy, whether it be a Romulan, Cardassian, or Aenar.

Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not a xenoethnographer!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Someone's probably said this, I'm just too lazy to look...

1.) Roll Andorian
    2.) Turn off monitor.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    harryquinn wrote: »
    Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor, not a xenoethnographer!

:D

1.) Roll Andorian
    2.) Turn off monitor.

Wow, lots of constuctive feedback on this one...
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited September 2012

1.) Roll Andorian
    2.) Turn off monitor.
    Note: Heightened senses trait requires a 7.1 surround sound system.
  • extremis0extremis0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Playable Aenar? Meh... I think Project Image would be a little OP in the right hands, should it be given to the players.

I'm more curious why there are so little Aenar duty officers in the game? I sometimes get an Aenar refugee, but I never got a random Aenar of quality other than common. The only purple I recall is the KDF one from Marauding Tier 4.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    misterde3 wrote: »
    It's called "bad writing".:)

But it's more likely she just knew what Shran looked like from Shran's own mind.

JHAMEL: I came here to apologise.
    SHRAN: For what?
    JHAMEL: When I saw you for the first time, I sensed some of your thoughts. I didn't intend to.
    SHRAN: It's never been all that hard to figure out what I'm thinking.
    Aenar are only blind in a physical sense Jhamel seemed to have some other sense she used to find her way around. There's one scene where she senses these worms burrowing through the ice and moves out of their way.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    praghas wrote: »
    Captain Barbri and Admiral Gearr are insulted by this insinuation.

As is Federation Ambassador Otungku -Saurian Engineer
  • eileen134340eileen134340 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Aside from the visuals, it would be fun to have a true playable Aenar where we can control both the main character and the double they project, like controlling both parts of a Galaxy class starship in game.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited March 2015

well they are blind, so in theory....you wouldnt actually be able to see where your going :P
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For that matter why no playable androids or holograms?

They could get bonuses to psionic resistance and physical strength and endurance, and penalties against science skills which mess with technology.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    For that matter why no playable androids or holograms?

They could get bonuses to psionic resistance and physical strength and endurance, and penalties against science skills which mess with technology.
    Well, for one thing, CBS said "No" to playable androids.
    Aside from the visuals, it would be fun to have a true playable Aenar where we can control both the main character and the double they project, like controlling both parts of a Galaxy class starship in game.
    You don't control the saucer section at all. You don't even get carrier commands for it like you do for hangar pets. It just flies around like a zombie.

Speaking of which, while CBS has said "No" to Playable Androids, Cryptic says "No" to Zombie Threads. Nice work, are you a Kobali?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock