test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Same People buying all my engs deflectors and shields

holyhelmetholyhelmet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Am i missing something here? I did a few stf missions. When i finally got round to selling stuff on the exchange i had loads of rare MKXI deflectors engines and shields. So i posted them all on the exchange for 40,000 each, thats a bit more than you can get for discarding them. Same with the MKXII stuff but obviously the price is a little higher.

But then they all get bought within minutes of posting them. When i check the mail, its usually the same person who has bought all of them. Why are they doing this? Is there something you can do with these things that i don't know about?
Post edited by holyhelmet on

Comments

• pianowizzypianowizzy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If they are Rare at that level then I'm thinking that it's worth a little more than it's marked value, actually, and the person may simply be merchanting.
    Vulcan Science Officer -- Captain of the I.F.D. Gallifrey [Tholian Recluse]
    Ambassador of The Order Of Gallifrey // Representative of the 1701 Renegades

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    the best way to set your price is to check what the going rates for those engines are. if someones selling the same engines for say 200k EC, and your only selling them for 40k EC each. then each one they buy and re-selling for nets them 160k EC. quadruple what they bought it for initially.
  • holyhelmetholyhelmet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Going rate is about 41,000 to 42,000, hence i post them at 40,000. I know how to use the exchange. I post them at 40,000 as i know they will be bought straight away and its quick easy energy credits.
  • blitzsthblitzsth Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If they are selling at just below the RRP then don't worry about it.

However I just had a random thought, it could be something to do with fleet contribution. We don't really know what the later tier Levels ask for and some fleets have tier III unlock. Just a random thought.
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If you sell an item below 50% of it's value you're selling for less than most vendors in the game will buy for, discarding an item gives yo 40% of the value, vendoring gives 50% (except ferengi vendors, those guys try to rip you off).
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    holyhelmet wrote: »
    Could you give an example of a good vendor please?

The NPC in ESD that sells hypos near the tailor gives 50% back.

If you compare the sale price from that vendor to the sale price from the Ferengi NPC at the back of Club 47 you'll see a difference in what you can get for selling your loot.

What a bartender wants with a Mk XI deflector I do not know, and do not ask.
  • romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I actually want to remember seeing them used for a fleet starbase project but I might be very wrong on that. The persons might just be buying multiple versions to cover different situations. The stats on those things vary greatly.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    STO Wiki has a list of the items you need for projects:

http://www.stowiki.org/List_of_starbase_projects

Unfortunately, don't see deflectors listed. Common deflectors were once sought after with Crafting v1. Now, its just sellable junk, so the guy buying them off you is likely playing the stockmarket game with the exchange in "buying low, selling high".

And there is nothing wrong with that, someones being smart in making EC in the game. Best you could do is increase your prices to find his comfort zone and you make more of a profit. Or sell to vendors.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    you have a merchant problem

Sell the item and relax
    someone is relisting it at a higher margin to rip off lower level players
    Live long and Prosper