test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some advice on Science builds

rexxarugorexxarugo Member Posts: 8 Arc User
Hi everyone,

I'm a recently returning player. I played when the game first launched but couldn't really get into it but have come back and have really been impressed with the changes the game has made. I'm basically at the point I'm going to resub because I'm having so much fun.

Having said that I'm working towards my first 50 and I'm having a lot of trouble tracking down a good Science/Science build for me, and I'm wondering if anyone could answer some of my questions.

I'm looking for a build for PVE (STFs). After playing around with some BOFF abilities (I'm only a Lt. Commander right now), I'm thinking going for a build that focuses control/healing. I'm really leaning towards getting a Caitian Carrier if that helps frame responses.

My best guess as for a BOFF setup would be something like:

Tactical: Tac Team (I) Attack Pattern Delta (I)

Engineering: Emer. power to Shields (I) Emer. power to Aux (II) Extend shields (II)

Science: Tractor Beam (I) Science Team (I) Transfer Shield (II) Polarize Hull (II) Hazard Emiters (III) x2 and Gravity Well (III)

I think my weak point is with Science Team and Polarize Hull. I feel like a 3rd root like a Tractor Beam (II) might make more sense.

I'm also not sure about what weapons I should shoot for. I'm thinking Beam array/Torp in the front to compensate for the carrier's turning and Turrets in the back.

Any advice on BOFF abilities and weapon loadouts would be much appreciated.
Post edited by rexxarugo on

Comments

• rexxarugorexxarugo Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Here is a link to a build I am playing with. Any advice would be much appreciated

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=Rexx1_0
  • mb52mb52 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    While I dont have any real experience with the kitty carrier, I do have an intrepid. I would suggest looking up Cygone's Intrepid build, as this is a very good science focused build, and there is a nebula build that looks good also.

Curious, in the skill planner link, you seem to have taken points in both Projectiles and energy weapons, which do you intend on focusing on? A science focusing on torpedoes can work well, as it allows you to set your aux to 120 and run low weapons power.
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As a general tip, don't go above 6 for warp core potential, the last three levels literally net each system less than a full point of additional power.

I'm not sure that going above 6 for warp core efficiency is such a great idea, either.

Subsystem performance powers that add a few points of extra power are not THAT great either (the calculation is literally ExtraPower = StatPoints/10, so a level 9 (99 stat points) nets you 9.9 bonus power, and level 6 (84) nets you 8.4 bonus power). You may be able to use these points more effectively elsewhere, e.g. improvements to the hull.

Furthermore, I don't know why you're putting points into 'starship energy specialization' without putting any into 'starship energy weapons.' If you're set on torpedoes, you should probably put these points into the torpedo specialization skill.

Note my only science toon is gathering dust, so my science experience is VERY limited, but these tips are more general and hopefully will provide you with a bit more efficiency with your build.
  • kylesal24kylesal24 Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2012
    rexxarugo, I am a Tac who uses the Atrox and am most likely the most vocal person for that ship on the forum.

Your BOFF skills need work, but besides that you have the main choice to run DHCs, which I run, and Beams.

For Sci. skills. LTC: HE 1, TSS 1, TR 2 or GW 2. COMM: HE 1, TSS 1, whatever you want here, GW 3.

That will give you lots of heals and AoE skills.

Tac: TT 1, CRF 1 if cannons or FAW 2 if beams.

Eng. EP2W 1, Whatever you want here I have RSP 1, AUX2SIF 2.

This build gives you more heals than you will ever need. I am going to remove some heals from mine because I don't need them.
    If you need anymore just ask.

Kyle
    Delta Fleet Command
  • rexxarugorexxarugo Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for all the advice! I actually was copy/pasting like 8 other builds so those skill sets I was using were likely from another person that didn't have much to do with my ideas.

Here is what I'm rolling with right now. I just hit Captain last night

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=12345678_0

Energy siphon is kind of a question still for me. I mean my thought was to use it and stack it with GW or Tykens, but I can never seem to get them to stack quite right.

I'm using almost all phasers 3 turrets in the back one torp, to phaser beam arrays.
  • kylesal24kylesal24 Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2012
    Nice job on Lvling up!
    Here are a few changes I would make. Switch Tac Team and Beam Overload around. TT 1 does about the same TT 2. Beam Overload is better at BO 2.

Eng: Ep2W 1 or Ep2S 1 either is fine. But get rid of Extend shields, Aux2SIF is way better. Aux2SIF gives a big heal and damage resist and is also on just a 15 second timer.

Sci: Are you going with a drain build or a heal?

IF drain then I can't help you.

If heal then HE 1, TSS 2, then the same for now.

Same for the other one.

When you hit VA you will want to have HE 1, TSS 2, Whatever here, GW 3. HE 1, TSS 2, TR 2 or whatever here.

If you are going with healing then all the points in Sci. besides the 2 shield ones are useless.

Kyle
    Delta Fleet Command