test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

We have Morn,How about bring back Quark and Odo.

chaz200565chaz200565 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Once the bartender project is finished,up and running,I would like to see Quark run the bar,and for Odo to return as Security chief.
Although we have Morn back at the bar on DS9,It would be nice to see him visiting starbase bars too,on his trade routes.
Post edited by chaz200565 on

Comments

• Options
    robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    chaz200565 wrote: »
    Once the bartender project is finished,up and running,I would like to see Quark run the bar,and for Odo to return as Security chief.
    Although we have Morn back at the bar on DS9,It would be nice to see him visiting starbase bars too,on his trade routes.

Quark I could see returning...Odo not so much, as it was established in the final episode of DS9 that he resigned from the Bajoran militia to return to the Founders and the Great Link.
  • Options
    danielpenfolddanielpenfold Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Quark I could see returning...Odo not so much, as it was established in the final episode of DS9 that he resigned from the Bajoran militia to return to the Founders and the Great Link.
    What does Quark mean i have not seen that here on the forums before.
    I'm so happy :D
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    In the Lore of STO Quark owns his own moon now (Perhaps the one from Mine Enemy), so I don't see him coming back.

Also its difficult to get permission to use existing characters, because Cyptic would have to pay the actors to use their likeness. (That is probably the reason Worf looks so strange).
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    To use Quark and Odo would require getting getting Armin's and Rene's permission, and that would probably cost a few bucks to get them to agree. I'd rather see the money spent on game updates.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What does Quark mean i have not seen that here on the forums before.

Not sure if you're being serious or not...

Memory Alpha: Quark
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    In the Lore of STO Quark owns his own moon now (Perhaps the one from Mine Enemy), so I don't see him coming back.

Also its difficult to get permission to use existing characters, because Cyptic would have to pay the actors to use their likeness. (That is probably the reason Worf looks so strange).

I could see Quark losing it all due to a trick played by Brunt. Then Nagus Rom offers to recompensate Quark and Quark is all like, "Shhh. If you start making offers like that, people will think you don't understand business. I'll earn it all back."

As for Odo, the trick is to make him Dominion ambassador. And give him a Vorta sidekick who annoys the crud out of him.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    To use Quark and Odo would require getting getting Armin's and Rene's permission, and that would probably cost a few bucks to get them to agree. I'd rather see the money spent on game updates.

I've spoken to licensees. In general, actors DO NOT own their likeness when in full makeup, which is why Worf is here.

There are actors with exemptions but they're generally big actors.

I can't say for certain about Quark or Odo because Rene A. was somewhat big in TV and Shimerman had experience negotiating contracts with Paramount by the time DS9 came around. It's HIGHLY likely that Rom and Nog require no actor permissions.

In general, though, if you're in full makeup, you sign away rights under the standard contract Paramount was using. My gut says Dorn got less than the best deal because TNG was untested when it came out and because he wasn't considered one of the principals at first. He was basically cast as an extra with a few lines that they found themselves writing more and more for.

Getting an actor's real face is expensive. Enough that Disney looked into it with Amy Adams and decided it was too expensive for them. However, people who played Klingons and other prosthetic heavy races were generally signing away perpetual rights to their face while in makeup. Which is why there are a ton of canon Klingons in STO... and a few Romulans and Cardassians.

I think Bajorans and Vulcans are considered to fall under standard rules.

But CBS' approach seems to be that they own rights to the faces of Ferengi, Romulans, Klingons, and Cardassians unless the actor actually got an exemption from the clause.

There's probably a rule somewhere about what percentage of the face is makeup and that may have led to multi-tiered contracts.

I kindof doubt Rene A. has any approval rights on Odo simply because the producers have said they created Odo (and Dax) specifically in response to the Tasha Yar problem on TNG. They wanted characters who they could use and recast without actor involvement or permission. Odo's makeup was specifically designed so that Rene A. would NOT have rights and that's also why Odo couldn't form a more human face.
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm sure we'd have every character in Star Trek ever (within reason of the story or particular missions) if we had all the money needed for likeness rights. Let's fight alongside Captain Kirk in that Guardian of Forever mission, or visit the Emissary in the Wormhole. Wishlist items, solely dependent on funds. Actors have to eat too, after all.
    But CBS' approach seems to be that they own rights to the faces of Ferengi, Romulans, Klingons, and Cardassians unless the actor actually got an exemption from the clause.
    Plausible, but I'd have to see a cited source.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well the easiest answer regarding Quark would be for him to have a new bar on his moon :)

With Odo, it wouldn't be the likeness issue, but he would have to have a reason to come back. No one he knew is still on DS9, except Morn.

There might have been treaty reasons he couldn't visit as well, but they are likely out the window as of 2800.
  • Options
    keppabar42keppabar42 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Quark's a busy guy, he runs a sucessful DABO franchise, the Lobi crystal consortium, and an industrial Lockbox packing facility! LOL
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    keppabar42 wrote: »
    Quark's a busy guy, he runs a sucessful DABO franchise, the Lobi crystal consortium, and an industrial Lockbox packing facility! LOL

Are you surprised? He always was portrayed as competent :)
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Likeness rights is one thing, but without Rene and Armin voicing their characters, it sort of loses the umph of their return.
  • Options
    ktyrrellktyrrell Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As for Odo, the trick is to make him Dominion ambassador. And give him a Vorta sidekick who annoys the crud out of him.
    Would be nice to see Odo again, just give him a new Weyoun Clone as 'Advisor' :D

As we are at it, isn't the whole DS9 Crew still kicking somewhere around? Make an reunion ;) After all its just 34 years after the Dominion War ingame, right?
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Likeness rights is one thing, but without Rene and Armin voicing their characters, it sort of loses the umph of their return.

It would be nice, but they don't have to. Worf, Sela, McCoy, and Scotty are not voiced either. (But the latter two being dead doesn't help) In fact, the only Canon character with a Voice at all is Spock.
  • Options
    dudebguydudebguy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Shimerman had experience negotiating contracts with Paramount by the time DS9 came around.

I find this incredibly amusing.
  • Options
    mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2012

Morn's on DS9?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Morn's on DS9?

In Quarks :)
  • Options
    darren0kitlordarren0kitlor Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    • Quark is rich, thanks to going franchise with his bar. (though a dramatic reversal-of-fortunes might be nice).
    • Odo became one with the ooze. Of course, that could get boring too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2012

No, the trick is for Odo to be a Founder you work for as a soldier of the Dominion ;)

With the Dominion, you can have access to Jem'Hadar and Vorta races to play as, or whatever Gamma Quadrant ones that are available.

On top of that, immerse in the Jem'Hadar's culture, honor, and sense of duty to the Founders, and the differences between their outlook compared to the higher echelon Vorta.

Then, engage in pew-pew while using some Dominion warships.
    XzRTofz.gif