test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help with creating an alt fleet

offtheeclipticofftheecliptic Member Posts: 28 Arc User
Hi all. Not sure if this is the right place to post, but was wondering how other folks have created fleets for themselves and their alts. I'd like to do that.

Do you ask people in chat to help? Or solicit help in the forums (which I don't visit that much--hence my uncertainty where to post)?

Any advice or aid is appreciated. Thanks.
Post edited by offtheecliptic on

Comments

• standupguy86standupguy86 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My Fleet is massive, and because of that we were forced to move any ALT characters out of the Fleet. We simply had a number of current members of the main fleet sign up for the ALT Fleet with their alts. We have a private channel that is preferred to be used so that everyone wether in the Main Fleet, Alt Fleet and KDF Fleet can interact on.
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hi all. Not sure if this is the right place to post, but was wondering how other folks have created fleets for themselves and their alts. I'd like to do that.

Do you ask people in chat to help? Or solicit help in the forums (which I don't visit that much--hence my uncertainty where to post)?

Your best bet is to ask around ESD or any highly populated social area. You need four others to team with you to create a fleet and you can ask they to leave or boot them afterwards. You may be asked for some form of compensation, namely EC's, so be prepared.
  • maerdynmaerdyn Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012

yes, you can ask in /zone but people don't help. Just yesterday I helped my friend to start new fleet. I waited for long long long time, nobody wanted to help. I asked in my guild if they can help. They answer was very surprising: "Why should we help you? Everytime when somebody asks us should we create new character and help somebody to start new guild? Why? And new fleet = new competition." Also they said this - make more accounts. STO is free now so you can get more accounts and we don't have to help you".

So if you want to start new fleet ask your friends or you spend a lot of time on /zone.
    CO LT, STO LT, played NWN and NWN2 before and another DnD games
  • zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
    edited August 2012

You typically ask friends to help or take your chances in zone chat. As mentioned, zone has become much less helpful since Season 6 (not that it ever really was helpful before).

I have an unfleeted toon I've helped a few people make fleets with. Next time you (or anyone) is on trying to make a fleet PM me (@zordar) and I'll help out if I'm online.
    Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
  • xylchxylch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You could go to ESD and when someone else asks, offer to help them start their fleet. Do that and it is likely they will be willing to help you start yours. If not, keep helping people until you find someone who is.

Of course, keeping an alt fleet going can be harder than starting one. I used to have an alt fleet, but all the members decided they did not like the way I was running it, so they left and joined someone else's fleet. ;)
    STO Handle: @DeltaFive
    Fleets - Federation: No Fleet - KDF: Yan-Isleth
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My Fleet is massive, and because of that we were forced to move any ALT characters out of the Fleet. We simply had a number of current members of the main fleet sign up for the ALT Fleet with their alts. We have a private channel that is preferred to be used so that everyone wether in the Main Fleet, Alt Fleet and KDF Fleet can interact on.

We do this too, and it's really powerful. At an given moment you're not just able to talk to people in our Federation fleet, but also in our Klingon fleet, anybody playing Champions Online, eventually people playing Neverwinter (actually have to be careful with this stuff; during beta for STO, people in Champions would see me online with an unknown zone and want to know where I was. The XMPP interface gives a convenient excuse now), and even people who are offline can use XMPP to remain in contact with the fleet!

Now instead of being able to call for help and ask questions of just the people online in your fleet, you can talk to everybody. I love global channels; joining ours is mandatory for all fleet members.

Global chat is the one thing Cryptic does almost exactly right. If it was IRC instead of XMPP it'd be perfect.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • offtheeclipticofftheecliptic Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Just wanted to update this thread by saying that I've started a chat channel ingame called FleetofOne.

The idea is to get people together who want to start fleets but have less than five people, and folks who are willing to lend an unfleeted alt. Maybe someone wants to start a solo fleet. Maybe they have four people and just need one stand-in.

I'm hoping that once enough people have subscribed, they will be help for anyone who needs it.