test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will my graphics card run smoothly?

otsa609otsa609 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hey I'm getting a new computer soon, and it comes equipped with a NVIDIA GeForce 7800. I was wondering if this graphics card works well with the game? And what settings should I have for it?
Post edited by otsa609 on

Comments

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The system requirements listed for STO on the Download page say NVIDIA GeForce 7950. I think at best you may run it very choppy and laggy.
  • otsa609otsa609 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    The system requirements listed for STO on the Download page say NVIDIA GeForce 7950. I think at best you may run it very choppy and laggy.

I have a regular hp computer with the stock graphics card. At least this should be an upgrade of some volume?
    edited August 2012
    That of course depends on the HP's card, particularly if its an integrated card (basically just the motherboard chugging along).
    edited August 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    That of course depends on the HP's card, particularly if its an integrated card (basically just the motherboard chugging along).

I will look into it. What about a Evga GeForce GT 430 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card? Im new to graphics cards, and im looking to get a cheap one, with good performance. Thanks for your help.
    edited August 2012
    The 430 is a good cheap card, with direct x 11 - it should run STO okay. Before you go and buy anything it would be worth considering any additional power requirements as well as overall compatibility with the rest of your system. (Although swapping one nvidia for another usually works). For example, a lot of people don't consider if their card will actually fit inside their computer when seated in the motherboard.

But all this might be overcomplicating your purchase too. Its not a difficult area to gain some familiarity in. I gained most of my info on the topic by dismantling my computers and seeing what goes where and why ^^
    edited August 2012
    But personally if I had to decide on a GT 430, I'd rather sacrifice the DX11 (not a lot of games use it right now) and opt for a gts 250 or something (maybe even a 9600 gt/ 9800 gt), for some more performance at a comparable price.
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    otsa609 wrote: »
    Hey I'm getting a new computer soon, and it comes equipped with a NVIDIA GeForce 7800. I was wondering if this graphics card works well with the game? And what settings should I have for it?

When you say "new," do you mean "new to you?" I ask because the 7800 is rather dated, and if this is a used computer, it might mean that it's AGP rather than PCIE, so your options for upgrading the graphics card might be nigh non-existant.

That being said, if the computer *is* PCIe you may want to also consider an ATI 6670, which will run STO reasonably well, while being cheapish.
    The game *should* run on a 7800. You'll have to be on pretty low settings, but you should be able to play at least.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Should run on low setting.

Lowest graphics machine I've tried running STO on was my parents' computer which has onboard GeForce 7100.

IIRC its on very-low to low settings. Only installed to do DOff system though, not regular gameplay. :)
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • jared1701jared1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Here's a great site showing benchmarks of different graphics cards while playing STO, this helped me decided what to get: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-trek-online,2553.html
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Jean-Luc Picard
    edited August 2012
    jared1701 wrote: »
    Here's a great site showing benchmarks of different graphics cards while playing STO, this helped me decided what to get: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-trek-online,2553.html

That's two years old, so won't have all of the newer cards listed. That being said, STO doesn't need a top-o-the-line bleeding edge card to run.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/01-3DMark11-B-Performance,2932.html

I'm normally an nVidia fanboi, but the reason I recommended the 6670 as a "budget gaming" card is that it gives you a bit more bang-for-the-buck compared to the nVidia 430-440.
    Ok guys thanks for all the help. I've changed my mind about the Nividia GeForce 7800. Just one more question. I now plan on getting a brand new CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra GUA880 Desktop. $519.99 and it has a Nividia 610 on it. I'm not sure about the complete specs of the GPU, but I have watched several YouTube videos where people play Battlefield 3 in High-Ultra settings with no lag. Do you guys think it could play STO in ultra settings? Would this be a reasonable upgrade?
  • herkuliusherkulius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    While it's true that STO doesn't need a state of the art graphics card to run, I find it impossible to stay at 30FPS all the time at 1920x1080 with maxed details on a Radeon 6970. And that's with no antialiasing applied at all. Hitting 60FPS constantly is something I can only dream of.

I'm seriously thinking about waiting for when GPUs are twice as fast mine is currently and then getting two of these and run them in an SLI or Crossfire setup. Not just for STO.
    edited August 2012
    Ok guys thanks for all the help. I've changed my mind about the Nividia GeForce 7800. Just one more question. I now plan on getting a brand new CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra GUA880 Desktop. $519.99 and it has a Nividia 610 on it. I'm not sure about the complete specs of the GPU, but I have watched several YouTube videos where people play Battlefield 3 in High-Ultra settings with no lag. Do you guys think it could play STO in ultra settings? Would this be a reasonable upgrade?

It'll run STO, whether or not at full settings, I can only say "maybe, buit don't count on it". (610 is the bottom end of the 600 series). Keep in mind that the videos of "Battlefield 3 on a 610" are running at reduced resolutions and have tweaked things one way or the other.

Be very wary of the use of the word "gamer" or "gaming" in advertising, it gets abused a lot.
    herkulius wrote: »
    While it's true that STO doesn't need a state of the art graphics card to run, I find it impossible to stay at 30FPS all the time at 1920x1080 with maxed details on a Radeon 6970. And that's with no antialiasing applied at all. Hitting 60FPS constantly is something I can only dream of.

Wow, I'd have thought you could get better out of a 6970, it's a couple of steps up from what I have (GTX275). With my old GTX275, I average around 60fps with STO @ 1680x1050 (Lower resolution, but I'm also running two monitors.)
    FPS are over 30 most of the time, often enough they even reach 60, it's just not as constant as I wish. That's kind of the problem with how benchmarking is done mostly. Reviewers look at max FPS and average FPS, but what it all comes down to is minimum FPS, because it's the minimum FPS that make a game appear choppy or not. So I rather run my GPU at 20% load most of the time knowing it's got enough reserves to deal with high poly / high effect counts scenarios. In STO and most other games, this means turning down detail settings.
    edited August 2012
    Could the 610 play on minimal settings with a good FPS?
  • sinsofanempiresinsofanempire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Let me just add some stuff to this.

1. 'New' computer? A 7800 is ancient by any standard, I wouldn't recommend it.
    2. GT430? I had a GT440 just before I got my new 560Ti, only runs STO on medium with no shadows or ambient optical illusions.
    3. GT610? Runs worse than a GT440. But still would be playable.
    I would recommend at least a 550Ti+. They are pretty cheap these days.

President of Alpha Solaris, a Federation fleet.

I used to be Sinsofasolarempire
  • deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    beezle23 wrote: »

Wow, I'd have thought you could get better out of a 6970, it's a couple of steps up from what I have (GTX275). With my old GTX275, I average around 60fps with STO @ 1680x1050 (Lower resolution, but I'm also running two monitors.)

older cards run dx9 better than many of the newer cards especially budget versions of the newer chips. gt 430 and i can run newer dx11 games full up, (deus ex:HR, crysis 2, etc) 1920x1080...start hitting mmo's with older engines based around dx9 and things slow down. older series gpus were designed around dx9/dx10. they rock. it's also why they can't just be upscaled or a driver fix to handle dx11, because they were designed around an older dx, shader, and ogl version(s).

now...if cryptic/pwe wanted to be reeeeally nice...the could create another client entirely dx11 and x64 that could be an optional d/l besides the main client. >.>

(like that will happen)
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • samerikersameriker Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    The game *should* run on a 7800. You'll have to be on pretty low settings, but you should be able to play at least.

Uh why not, I am running it on a Nvidia Ion and my brother is using NO graphics card what-so-ever. He is using shared memory on an Intel chipset. Just remember 90% of most problems are drivers not properly installed or updated.
    edited August 2012
    Ok, I'm just gona buy a GeForce 560 Ti. That card should be able to play STO in high settings. Hopefully between the 1gb version and the 2gb one, there isn't much of a difference, because I'm getting the 1gb.
  • herkuliusherkulius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Don't limit yourself with a 1GB card. 1GB is too little for modern games.

A Geforce 560 Ti with 2GB can be had for similar money in the area I live in. With a bit of luck it's the same where you live.
    edited August 2012
    herkulius wrote: »
    Don't limit yourself with a 1GB card. 1GB is too little for modern games.

A Geforce 560 Ti with 2GB can be had for similar money in the area I live in. With a bit of luck it's the same where you live.

I'll look into getting the 2gb then. Thanks.
    edited August 2012
    otsa609 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm just gona buy a GeForce 560 Ti. That card should be able to play STO in high settings. Hopefully between the 1gb version and the 2gb one, there isn't much of a difference, because I'm getting the 1gb.

Yeah, my 2GB 560Ti can max out STO no issues, but remember that your computer is only as fast as its weakest component. If you're planning to run the 560Ti with something like a Core 2 Duo, you're gonna have issues.

• oneflewoneflew Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey all,

I installed the game today and got a message saying my video card wasn't supported. I'm using Intel HD Graphics and an Nvidia GeForce GT 330M. I've been able to all Blizzard games on my computer flawlessly but for some reason STO is having an issue with it. Is the card actually not supported or am i facing some sort of glitch? Any and all help is appriciated.
    edited August 2012
    oneflew wrote: »
    Hey all,

I installed the game today and got a message saying my video card wasn't supported. I'm using Intel HD Graphics and an Nvidia GeForce GT 330M. I've been able to all Blizzard games on my computer flawlessly but for some reason STO is having an issue with it. Is the card actually not supported or am i facing some sort of glitch? Any and all help is appriciated.

I guess you have some form of 'Switcher' to switch from the Integrated chipset to the GT 330M. Try switching it to the GT 330M and see if that fixes the issue.

edited August 2012
    I guess you have some form of 'Switcher' to switch from the Integrated chipset to the GT 330M. Try switching it to the GT 330M and see if that fixes the issue.

I'm currently running a integrated chipset, nothing wrong but the horrible lag I have.
  • antarchiteuthisantarchiteuthis Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hi,

I am currently using a Geforce 560ti graphics card with a Gigabyte GA-Z77 D3H motherboard, Intel i5 3570K processor and 8GB of ram. Currently, STO will not run on my PC for some reason. I can load into the character screen but when I try to play the game, the loading screen freezes. Occasionally, if I leave it long enough, the game loads but I am unable to do anything, i.e. move, shoot etc.

I have petition PWE for an answer but they have only suggested things I have already tried, such as lowering the graphics, updating the drivers, running it as administrator, unchecking and checking a few boxes in the options menu etc. None of this has worked. I used the same graphics card in my old PC (which had ancient components except for the graphics card) and STO worked fine. I should also mention that I have had no problems with any other MMO or game on my PC with my current components, only STO.

My girlfriend has exactly the same PC as me with the same components, except she does not have a graphics card and STO works fine on her PC using the onboard graphics. I have tried disabling my graphics card on my PC and using the onboard graphics (which are the same as on my gf's PC) but that hasn't worked either and I just get an error message.

I will confess to not being a genius when it comes to these sorts of things so any advice or suggestions would be welcome. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
  • solidusdonutsolidusdonut Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hi,

I am currently using a Geforce 560ti graphics card with a Gigabyte GA-Z77 D3H motherboard, Intel i5 3570K processor and 8GB of ram. Currently, STO will not run on my PC for some reason. I can load into the character screen but when I try to play the game, the loading screen freezes. Occasionally, if I leave it long enough, the game loads but I am unable to do anything, i.e. move, shoot etc.

I have petition PWE for an answer but they have only suggested things I have already tried, such as lowering the graphics, updating the drivers, running it as administrator, unchecking and checking a few boxes in the options menu etc. None of this has worked. I used the same graphics card in my old PC (which had ancient components except for the graphics card) and STO worked fine. I should also mention that I have had no problems with any other MMO or game on my PC with my current components, only STO.

My girlfriend has exactly the same PC as me with the same components, except she does not have a graphics card and STO works fine on her PC using the onboard graphics. I have tried disabling my graphics card on my PC and using the onboard graphics (which are the same as on my gf's PC) but that hasn't worked either and I just get an error message.

I will confess to not being a genius when it comes to these sorts of things so any advice or suggestions would be welcome. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
    Well I would just copy your girlfriends STO installation and just put it where yours is. Probably /:c, Users,Public,Games.

If that dont work you could do a fresh Windows install or just put her hard drive in yours to see if either computer can boot up STO.