test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Starbase fleet defense unplayable cpu 100%

What is up with the star base fleet defence mission?

It is unplayable, I have an Intel Q9550 2.83GHz with 8 gig of ram and as soon I get passed the first part of the mission. My CPU uses jumps to 100% and will stay there till I come out of the mission or it ends. Then the game starts and stops all the time, meaning I cannot give any orders at all. Cannot even stop my ship.

I also get few server lag spikes every time a new set of enemies come in.

This is a joke I have more than the needed system spec yet this mission is not playable?

Any one know of fix this is?
Post edited by ukdrew on

Comments

• Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm running unaffected with a Q9550. Maybe your hitting a huge memory leak in the map? (Not unheard of) - But are you sure its being caused directly by STO and not some other process which ramps up usage while STO is active?
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    For most people that this effects, it's because the sounds start stacking/looping.
    edited August 2012
    I on windows 7 64 bit could be a duff map i guess or the sound i try with the sound off and see if helps.
  • Options
    beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ukdrew wrote: »
    I on windows 7 64 bit could be a duff map i guess or the sound i try with the sound off and see if helps.

It's a duff map, I'm just too lazy to hunt down the other threads about it.

Suggestion I have -- completely exit out of STO after each run of this map.
    edited August 2012
    well it is the sound with no sound on it just played okay.

so now to work out which i lagging me out lol
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The first step is to look for an updated driver. Beyond that, you'll just have to see if tuning your settings helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Interesting, I've had troubles with the later waves on this map, I never thought that the sound was tying up the primary thread enough to starve out and drop FPS. I'll have to try with sound off and see if it works better. I thought it was my graphics card overheating, but when I checked when the FPS was more like FPM (frame per minute) it was running cooler than it does when at the character select screen. Hopefully, they'll update things to be more multi-threaded so the extra cores I and most people have have take on more of the duties.
  • Options
    ukdrewukdrew Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yes it the sound effects that lag the CPU out. it can still a bit slow on the old FPS with some sound on. To get the best out of the map I turn all sound off and it will play fine. Hope this works for you tom61sto.

Oh well I might have to start thing of getting a new sound card my old SBA 2 ZS still working well this is the only game I had a problem on for years. Pity there are no update drivers for my sound blaster card sniff.