test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Species not yet featured

Comments

• godemperorphooeygodemperorphooey Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    switchngc wrote: »
    All of those would require extensive Delta Quadrant maps (and some way to explain how we are regularly going distances that would typically take a hundred years or so).

It was only an estimated 75 year journey when Voyager first started it, in the game's era, transwarp drives are common on ships and some ships can go up to transwarp 30, so I doubt it will take as long to get to the Delta or Gamma Quadrant.
  • liquidacid29liquidacid29 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    eazzie wrote: »

Talaxians just cos I liked Neelix

you have just invalidated everything you have or ever will say...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    1) talosians
    Only showed in cage/menagerie their star system is restricted because they use there mental powers to control people.
    ooooioooooo. Scary compared to the Borg/dominion/romulans wanting to blow everyone up.
    Plus the end result was simply to let the species die. That needs to be readdressed.

2) organians
    They just "disappeared" although they are apart of star trek lore.
    Needs to be delt with
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    chalpen wrote: »
    2) organians
    They just "disappeared" although they are apart of star trek lore.
    Needs to be delt with

I've always favored the idea that they joined (perhaps not entirely on their own initiative) the Q Continuum, and thus have some external enforcement of what had previously been tolerated as their own non-interference policy, since they very egregiously violated it in "Errand of Mercy".
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • starfleetfcstarfleetfc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    velktra wrote: »
    "Image hosted by Tripod." :P

But the Undine are already in STO. :D
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Player Species

KDF:

Malon (feds for pakleds... klinks been something useless..... radioactive too.)
    Defera
    Chalnoth

FED:

Deltan
    Risian
    Defera

Species for future content: (top 5)

1: Organians
    2: Voth
    3: Edo
    4: Lysian / Sutarun (sp?)
    5: Farian
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I really want to see Alien aliens.

The Aliens in game are all kind of same-y.... Sure they have different looks and abilities, but they're all are humanoid, and function and move about in similar manners.

I want to see Edosians (the possibilities of wielding three pistols, or swords, at once sounds very appealing to me), I would really like to see what it would be like playing as a tentacled goo spider, this..... thing...., or a giant bug. We have opportunities for some really crazy fun stuff, I mean, are there any other MMO's that let you have four hands?

I think it could be a lot of fun!
    edited August 2012
    I really want to see Alien aliens.

The Aliens in game are all kind of same-y.... Sure they have different looks and abilities, but they're all are humanoid, and function and move about in similar manners.

I want to see Edosians (the possibilities of wielding three pistols, or swords, at once sounds very appealing to me), I would really like to see what it would be like playing as a tentacled goo spider, this..... thing...., or a giant bug. We have opportunities for some really crazy fun stuff, I mean, are there any other MMO's that let you have four hands?

I think it could be a lot of fun!

but then they might have to ya know make new models, animations and junk... that is a lot more work than re-skining a basic humanoid model that uses the existing ones and pumping out new races...

lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'd like to see the El-Aurians (Guinan), Binars,genetically altered Klingons as seen on Enterprise, an aquatic species(selkie perhaps?), and the Kobali.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
    edited August 2012
    but then they might have to ya know make new models, animations and junk... that is a lot more work than re-skining a basic humanoid model that uses the existing ones and pumping out new races...

lol

Oh plthbbbbblt. It's time for Cryptic to get out of their comfort zone. :P
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    you have just invalidated everything you have or ever will say...

But Neelix was unique. Yeah actually on second thoughts scrub Talaxians. Might be good to seesomething regarding The Caretaker though.
    edited August 2012
    But Neelix was unique. Yeah actually on second thoughts scrub Talaxians. Might be good to seesomething regarding The Caretaker though.

saying you like Neelix is like saying you like Jar Jar Binx... if your not under 10 years old no one will ever pay attention to you again... they may even attempt physical violence (tho that group would be uber nerds so you'd prolly be ok)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • terongrayterongray Member Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I took a shot at proposing some new attention to captain variety a month or so ago. Here's what I had to say.
    What could really add some new aesthetic diversity and appeal to the game is expanding on the appearance selections for players. Some of the options are hum-drum and not too different from others all across the board, every species could benefit from more varied complexions and hair styles most definitely. However, the 'Alien' race which exists to permit us to run with our imagination, would benefit from considerable broadening very much so as well. This is the universe of Star Trek, where what limits what could occur or be discovered is really only tied back by our creativity; and in STO, the limited options we are given, which is unusual for Cryptic.

I propose that, instead of things like the EVA Suits recently added, that Cryptic invests time into expanding the options of what you can be, versus just what you an wear. Perhaps someone wants to be make a species descended from an avian creature, or even a more aquatic type? The Xindi alone nearly covered the whole spectrum of Earth's animal Kingdoms, however STO lack the means to come even close to that variety. What you should do, is create a broad range of options to serve as an add-on pack or an 'Alien 2', that can let people really have flights of fancy. We have Caitians, which yes are canon, but they can set a precedent, as well as the Gorn, for more species that are not just humans with some makeup or a bit of glued-on putty.

Allow for more features influenced by nature- Muzzles, tails, bestial hands and feet; things which are decidedly non-human but still similar to the template that is humanoid physiology that the game uses. Star Trek has in the past had numerous aliens that weren't even humanoid, but we understand the limitations of the game engine, and as well the common sense that an alien ooze might not make the best Admiral. A wolven species, however, would make an imposing warrior to encounter, as could other combinations match various duty roles in appearance.

It need not be a free development, though best not gouge players too. I myself would be willing to pay around 700-1000 Zen per account for such a fanciful expansion to options of what my Captains could be, provided they were of the quantity and quality to justify the cost. And there are a many other players out there who would buy the chance to play the species they really want in a heartbeat.

Atleast give us something suitably lupine. We have the big cats, how about some wolves to balance them out. Think of the diplomacy options!
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    While Enterprise suggested the Xindi once had aviaks who are now extinct, they weren't the only avian species in the world of Star Trek.

So I vote for Aurelians. Who were seen in Yesteryear.
    They have wings, arms and legs. Dr. Loom Alek-Om was an Aurelian historian seen using a standard tricorder upon the Guardian of Forever. While they do have wings, it was never established that they actually fly. So flight mechanics needn't prevent their inclusion in the game.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hmm, speaking of lupine aliens, aren't one of the Breen specieses lupine? I know this was only ever in the novels, but if that soft canon were to be absorbed into STO, I'd love to see a Breen Fenrisal out of his EV suit.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've had a really good idea for a storyline involving the new cured Vidiians... I should really write it for the literary contest.
  • lpthomasmariklpthomasmarik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Cheron

Yes I know their world was destroyed by war but they were a space fareing civilization. Some could have escaped :)
    edited August 2012
    psiameese wrote: »
    While Enterprise suggested the Xindi once had aviaks who are now extinct, they weren't the only avian species in the world of Star Trek.

So I vote for Aurelians. Who were seen in Yesteryear.
    They have wings, arms and legs. Dr. Loom Alek-Om was an Aurelian historian seen using a standard tricorder upon the Guardian of Forever. While they do have wings, it was never established that they actually fly. So flight mechanics needn't prevent their inclusion in the game.

No reason to think they couldn't glide. That could be cool.
  • cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited August 2012
    ssargon wrote: »
    Hmm, speaking of lupine aliens, aren't one of the Breen specieses lupine? I know this was only ever in the novels, but if that soft canon were to be absorbed into STO, I'd love to see a Breen Fenrisal out of his EV suit.

A possibly Lupin physiology is 1 of 5 suggested possibilities for the Breen.

saying you like Neelix is like saying you like Jar Jar Binx... if your not under 10 years old no one will ever pay attention to you again... they may even attempt physical violence (tho that group would be uber nerds so you'd prolly be ok)

Hey, give Neelix some credit. Everyone wants to remember him just as the ship's moral officer and cook. The plucky comic relief who tries to force a smile on everyone's faces while the ship is being assimilated. But not many people seem to give him any credit for stepping up to the challenge when one is present. He was cunning enough to unmask a spy onboard Voyager with his "A Briefing with Neelix" TV show without any of the crew being any the wiser. Whenever Tuvok is put out of commission, Neelix is often the one to take over. He's not perfect, but he's not Wesley Crusher either.

Jar Jar Binks never did any of that, or anything that could even be compared.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    cusashorn wrote: »
    Hey, give Neelix some credit. Everyone wants to remember him just as the ship's moral officer and cook. The plucky comic relief who tries to force a smile on everyone's faces while the ship is being assimilated. But not many people seem to give him any credit for stepping up to the challenge when one is present. He was cunning enough to unmask a spy onboard Voyager with his "A Briefing with Neelix" TV show without any of the crew being any the wiser. Whenever Tuvok is put out of commission, Neelix is often the one to take over. He's not perfect, but he's not Wesley Crusher either.

My view of Neelix is that he's that awkward goofy friend that you're glad you have, but you would never introduce him to your other friends. :P
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    velktra wrote: »
    "Image hosted by Tripod." :P

Cut and past the URL into the URL field of a broswer. Tripod doesn't like referals to deep links on the web pages. Direct links/access work fine.
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Which species not yet featured would players like to see in STO. For me there are three. Kazon, Vidian and Talaxian.

Not sure if he is around anymore, but I think someone once said it in their signature best...

"The Kazon are tools. They can stay in the Delta Quadrant."

We would have to have some means of travelling to the Delta Quadrant first. Also, the galaxy is a big place, and to feature different species from across the entire Delta Quadrant you would need a huge area or at least a transwarp gate network out there with species in their own sector blocks.

Gamma Quadrant would be the same. Of course that one is easier if they just make the wormhole transitable. Then you would just have a sector block out there with the Dominion as enemies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • dradymdradym Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    id like to see an energy-based species...you know, a glowball. for funsies
  • bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Which species not yet featured would players like to see in STO. For me there are three. Kazon, Vidian and Talaxian.
    Not really a species, more like a group of them. I'd like to see the KDF featured in the game ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dradym wrote: »
    Like this one?: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Isabella

I would love to see Kriosians. http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Kriosian
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dradym wrote: »

Hyper-intelligent shade of blue for the win! :D
    edited August 2012
    cusashorn wrote: »

pfff and Jar Jar managed to successfully fight and defeat a battledroid army (by mistake but still) and despite his obvious learning disability rise to become the representative of an entire culture and senator of a whole planet ... but again none of that makes him any less TRIBBLE... still by comparison he achieved more with well less mental capacity than even Neelix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    pfff And Jar Jar Managed To Successfully Fight And Defeat A Battledroid Army (by Mistake But Still) And Despite His Obvious Learning Disability Rise To Become The Representative Of An Entire Culture And Senator Of A Whole Planet ... But Again None Of That Makes Him Any Less TRIBBLE... Still By Comparison He Achieved More With Well Less Mental Capacity Than Even Neelix

Ok We Get It You Don't Like Neelix
  • genericiigenericii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I'd love an android species, but I think CBS put the nix on playable android captains. Still, it'd be nice to finally see a female android in STO in some capacity.
  • dradymdradym Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    the word android is actually sexist, the word for a female would be gynoid...and yes, we have those already....in japan