test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

newbie ship question

warpgirl69warpgirl69 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Federation Discussion
Do I have to give up my ship when I level? Some ships are radically different from one tier to the next. What if I really like how my ship looks?
Post edited by warpgirl69 on

Comments

• beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    warpgirl69 wrote: »
    Do I have to give up my ship when I level? Some ships are radically different from one tier to the next. What if I really like how my ship looks?

You can keep it, though I wouldn't suggest using it.

New ship = more weapon and console slots.
    You don't have to give your ship up when you rank-up. Even if you get a new one, your existing ship will remain available in the shipyard and you can keep flying it and simply put the higher level equipment on it. That said, your existing ship will not sprout new weapon slots or Bridge Officer Stations as you level up. So you won't have maximum effectiveness, and you will reach a point where missions will become exceedingly difficult with a lower tier ship, and you'll need to get a new one to complete them.

Realistically, by the time you reach level 50, there's no way you could keep going in less than a Captain level ship, and you'd quite possibly need a Rear Admiral ship. A long-term vet might be able to do end game missions with a Commander level or lower ship, but as a new player you'll find it a hard ask. As beezle said, not recommended. It's easiest to use the new ship you get every rank.

If it's just a case of looks, then quite a number of lower tier ships can be acquired as Vice Admiral versions throught the Fleet Starbase system or the CStore. So you would be able to use a ship you like at level 50, which would have enough weapons and BOff abilities. But that requires either a lot of time invested to earn the Fleet Credits, or paying real money.

Finally, if you're doing anything team-based (Fleet Events, STFs etc.), use the highest tier ship you have available. It's somewhat discourteous to your team-mates to reduce your potential effectiveness by taking a lower tier ship for no reason other than you like the look of it.
  • denliner1701denliner1701 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    warpgirl69 wrote: »

You don't lose your previous tier ship when you buy the next tier ship like you don't lose your Akira when you get a Defiant at Captain. You personally have the opportunity to discharge your ship at the Ship Selector if you just want to get rid of it. If you like the ship, keep it.
  • warpgirl69warpgirl69 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You don't lose your previous tier ship when you buy the next tier ship like you don't lose your Akira when you get a Defiant at Captain. You personally have the opportunity to discharge your ship at the Ship Selector if you just want to get rid of it. If you like the ship, keep it.

Ok I didn't literally mean get rid of it. I know it's still in the shipyard but all it's doing is gathering dust. TBH I absolutely love the way my starter miranda looks. I'd fly that the whole game if I could. It just pains me that I can't fly what I want to fly and be effective.