test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

My Trek starship design art.

rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Ten Forward
The following is a few odd pieces of art I did designing a few of my own Trek ships. You may like. Feel free to comment but be nice. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/RustiSwordz/Artwork/USS-Sulu.jpg
Lionheart class Federation fast attack border patrol vessel. USS Sulu.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/RustiSwordz/Artwork/KuDoch-Class-Enhanced-Specs-1.jpg Ku'Doch class heavy assault bird.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/RustiSwordz/Artwork/KuDoch-Mk3-complete-1.jpg
Finished pencil design of the Ku'Doch assault bird.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/RustiSwordz/Artwork/USS-Uller-colour---sketch.jpg
Uss Uller federation medium cruiser prototype.
(Above pic is my origonal design, lower pic is a digital recreation by my mate P. Fussey.)

Enjoy all. :)
Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
Post edited by rustiswordz on

Comments

• Options
    captrayvenwingcaptrayvenwing Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Your very talented kinda like that top one. the klingon is nice also. your very fluid with your designs. lots of sloping.

However the pottom one.. someone crashed an f-22 into the back in of your secondary hull and knocked the main deflector out of position 8P
    The Account formally known as Rayvenwing
    Actual Join Date : Feb 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well what can I say - these are awesome! The attention to detail is splendid and the presentation order rocks: you start with something that looks like typical Cryptic 25th Century post-Odyssey class design, then go on to depict Klingon warships in a style that emphasizes maximized interior volume and hull resilience just as though the STO KDF had integrated fully Gorn Hegemony and Orion starship engineering into the traditional "bird of prey" hull planform.

While I do know that some veterans amongst us may comment that your designs look organic instead of technical, may I remind everyone that STO is depicting an evolutionary trend and ships that come out of Cryptic's JamJamz Works resemble something that exists in the future.

The organic look is also reminiscent of some STO ground weapons namely the antiproton weapons which look alien, organic, but also retain basic humanoid ergonomics.

Of all the concepts USS ULLER is my favourite as it does resemble to me what a "Fleet Recon Science Vessel" prototype could look like - building on the Sol / Luna / Polaris class hull planform and giving it a larger deflector for the scientific interdiction role (as we know, a lot of the useful science PvEpowers in STO are fired from the deflector dish itself).

The 'kitbashed' appearance of the ship including the atmospheric fins could be roleplayed as influence from war emergency construction and also alien influences. They could very well have a practical purpose too, as side-looking phased array sensor panels (which like IRL today could double as ECM hardware) or increasing hull surface area for improved cooling to compensate for an unusually high power output for the class.

Everything is awesome enough that if you happen to be in the same area of sector space I'll buy you a bottle of Romulan Ale anyday.
    Feel free to comment but be nice.

I hope that is nice enough :D
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Im glad you like them.

Yes my style is very organic, thats just my style. The KuDoch class is an odd one. The mark one is very organic looking and the 2nd version below it is much more Klingon looking. The idea is a ship Raptor in capabillity and size but looks wise a cross between a BOP and a K'Tinga with the long neck and the outboard warp nacelles.
    Thinking about it from an STO online it could serve as an anti science ship, its special console called say a Quantum Nullifier Torpedo is designed to stop all enemy ships Sci- abillities dead and the ship would occupy a T5 level slot.

Its a work in progress a colour version is on the way after i re ink the line work.

The Uller class is quite popular among others not of this site too. A cruiser sized sci ship of some description.

The lionheart is a tactical light vessel occupying a tier 2/3 slot. A Centaur type but larger and with a bigger pow!

I can see where i can improve on the designs and there will be improved versions in time.

If cryptic likes my designs and wants me to develop them im sure they can contact me. :)

All my designs were drawn before i joined sto online and was done at the time as fun.

www.richarddaborn.com checkout more of my art here. :D

:D
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Its great art it really is. But the Fed ship seems too cartoony in its design and the klink ships seem too busy on the exterior for the Star Trek IP.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    voratusvoratus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/RustiSwordz/Artwork/USS-Uller-colour---sketch.jpg
    Uss Uller federation medium cruiser prototype.
    (Above pic is my origonal design, lower pic is a digital recreation by my mate P. Fussey.

Overall nice work. This one I shall now call "Stubby."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    goedzooigoedzooi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    When I saw the last ship I thought immediately of these quotes:

"We are not designing a hot rod, Lieutenant."
    Tuvok

"That is exactly what we're designing. A twenty fourth (five :P) century, warp powered, ultra responsive hot rod."
    Tom Paris

Nice job on those ships, especialy the last one :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Or a pig)

Sorry if my English is bad.
  • Options
    archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The first one, Sulu was it, looks great!! It feels like a ship you'll see on the show.
    I can't really comment of the Klingon ones since I'm not too familiar with their overall design but I do like the details and the spec you had put in.
    The last one, while the craftsmanship was wonderful, the design was a bit over board. The saucer looks great, but the hull doesn't seem quite right. The tail fin is one of the big no no.
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    you need to be hired to the ship team nuff said..
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the praise guys. :)

Yes the Uller (norse god of hunting) class cruiser is very cartoony. Im working on an update to that to give it a more non cartoony look.

Im working on two old designs yet unseen the Donatra Battlebird which is a Romulan Defiant style ship. Also the Devek class heavy cruiser which is a Cardassian design built around Dominion technology. When i get more to show you i will post it on here. ;)
  • Options
    carmenaracarmenara Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am not sure about the actual concept drawn but when I hear Donatra class battlebird I kind of thought it's the perfect name for one of them Romulan-Borg hybrid vessels that the player encounters in the Romulan campaign.
    STF Flight Instructor since Early 2012. Newbies are the reason why STO lives and breathes today. Do not discriminate.

My Youtube Channel
  • Options
    nassirisnassiris Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2012
    Would love to see the Ku'Doch design in-game. What we have now is so sub-par.
  • Options
    supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We're trying to build a functional ship. Not a hot rod.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    carmenara wrote: »
    I am not sure about the actual concept drawn but when I hear Donatra class battlebird I kind of thought it's the perfect name for one of them Romulan-Borg hybrid vessels that the player encounters in the Romulan campaign.

The Donatra name in STo is connected with the Borg. My defiant style Rom BOP will have a different name.
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow, you have some talent mate. Keep up the good work :)
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Skill-wise these are fantastic.

I just can't help but feel like you're going way overboard with the greebles and doohickies. I mean, like... does the Uller really need those weird find and the mission pod? I really think it'd look better if you dropped those.

The Sulu, in contrast, is just awesome. It's nice and greebly, but nothing stands out as out of place or unnecessary. The whole thing is much smoother overall. The Ku'Doch is pretty good, too, for much the same reason, though it gets away with more angles by virtue of being a Klingon design.
  • Options
    stodatapiocardstodatapiocard Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Your very talented kinda like that top one. the klingon is nice also. your very fluid with your designs. lots of sloping.

However the pottom one.. someone crashed an f-22 into the back in of your secondary hull and knocked the main deflector out of position 8P

:mad:I cannot belive you said that, that was crazily rude! I for one thought all of them where lovely,

if i had to choose a new flagship it would be one of those!:rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Uller's the only one I don't like. Kinda gives the feeling that you should have stopped about half way through, there's a pretty good finished-looking ship in there, kind of a more Galaxy-ish Luna class. But then you added fins and pods and a minisaucer through the neck and chrome spinners and hydraulic suspension and a Decepticon logo on the hood and now I'm just disappointed that the sound system distorts so badly when you turn the base up.

Top one I really like, looks like a DS9 style kitbash between the Intrepid and Armitage.
  • Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    very nice. you have talent. i like the medium cruiser. when will it be available in the c-store?
  • Options
    flywizflywiz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I love them all, especially the last one. You are very, very talented! :D
  • Options
    methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Really enjoyed these designs! The first one especially, though I thought they were all wonderfully done!:D
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nice work! keep it comin :)
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hold up, let me go find my jaw again...

Stunning work, quite interesting organic-looking designs. Not too sure about the finned and podded Uller, but the Klingon vessels are the best.

Bravo!
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    gibbon1182gibbon1182 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I hope it's not an issue but I thought I would post my Starship design as well. It's not nearly as good as yours though. By the way I love the Sulu Class.

Minotaur Class
    http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu157/u805/Minotaur.jpg
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Those two Ku Doch variants are wonderful.