test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Console sparkly effect since one of the latest patches

cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
They are a real eye sore. I hope they can be removed. Anyone else feel this way?

I could go into it more but short and to the point i find is best. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by cptskeeteruk on

Comments

• Options
    praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I like when they did them for the loot/drops, but I agree for regular walking around Space Dock and the bank lights up like a christmas tree, I see this as annoying, not helpful. Even on missions, I never had trouble finding things before, so it seems like unnessary graphics to me, I dislike them.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I hope they make the effects optional, for I will turn interact effects off if I have that option.
    I don't need objects to glow like a brush fire in missions to find them, I do just fine with my tricorder and I certainly don't need consoles glowing on my ship or in exchange etc., that's just ridiculous overkill.
    It's distracting, looks extremely unrealistic and is just plain stupid, if whoever thought this up thought it was a positive contribution, I hope this individual contributes nothing more to the work that needs doing on STO.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    rustiswordzrustiswordz Member Posts: 824 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Agreed its annoying. Why cant we just have a simple unobtrusive indicator when you get closer to console that dissapears. In fact the consoles have screens on them why not have the animation part of the consoles function.

The new twilight twinkly effect. Not nice. Drop it.
    Monkey see, Monkey do. Monkey flings Feathered Monkey poo... :D
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Man, you guys don't know how good you have it. Back in the day every interactable object shined with a BLINDING LIGHT like it was the door to heaven. It FLASHED AND FLASHED like it was made of liquid metal.

Compared to that a magic aura is great.
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Man, you guys don't know how good you have it. Back in the day every interactable object shined with a BLINDING LIGHT like it was the door to heaven. It FLASHED AND FLASHED like it was made of liquid metal.

lmao I remember that lol. Still though I don't like this just as much as I didn't like the original one lol, the predecessor was great IMO.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I remember.
    The light at the end of the tunnel was either a Photon Torpedo or a clickable console.
  • Options
    bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited August 2012
    It's not as bad as I thought it would be when I read about it in the forums. Having said that, it seems like Cryptic is trying to idiot proof the game. I understand having to make it fairly simple for new people. But, it seems like if you are trying to idiot proof the whole game (as apposed to say, a tutorial mission) then you must think your players are idiots.

I resemble that remark.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well the problem with idiot proofing the game is if they go to far in that direction they end up with a game that is only appealing to idiots.
    They could put whatever effect they like so long as they provide an option for those of us who neither need it nor want it to simply be able to turn it off.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Don't worry, the new fairy dust powered consoles are completely harmless with zero chance of exploding!
  • Options
    bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited August 2012
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Well the problem with idiot proofing the game is if they go to far in that direction they end up with a game that is only appealing to idiots.
    They could put whatever effect they like so long as they provide an option for those of us who neither need it nor want it to simply be able to turn it off.

I agree. Many, many years ago I played flight sims. One of them had a manual that was something like 200 pages. On the other hand, you could switch all the options to "unrealistic" and you'd basically have an arcade game. It would be nice if you could implement something like this in STO for things like this.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I wonder why they've never emphasized using the Scan Ability as much as making the important stuff go all Blinky Blinky? Knocks me right out of immersion when I see some of the effects now.

Please Devs give us the option to turn this off. I have been finding my own TRIBBLE with my own hands and no outside help for years now. It's never blinked or candle flamed once. I know. I checked. If I can learn to do this, so can others, rofl.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's all good, we only have to live with this for a few months till they come out with an even more intrusive and "idiot proof" animation for them.
  • Options
    midpoint1midpoint1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They are better than the cogs but would prefer the console only without the fire effect...
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    We just need an option to turn the effect off.
    If we have that, we won't need to know what kind of stupid effect they choose to put in the game.
    At this stage I don't expect to see the effect changed or removed, that would be an admission that putting something like this in was a mistake. I'm sure there is some game coder at Cryptic stubbornly standing behind his or her belief that the average player here is too dim-witted to find things in game without making them ridiculously obvious.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC