test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Level cap increase.. how soon do you think it will be?

webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
edited August 2012 in PvP Gameplay
With the way the game is progressing so far, and how we are almost compeltely all able to get Mark XII Very Rare (And soon the Ultra Rare Fleet items) I'm beginning to wonder if this might not be getting close to the right time to give us perhaps another 5 Levels and slowly introduce mk XIII Uncommon Equipment. With the Fleet Ships, it wouldn't really require a whole new grade of ships.. And it might give us more levels of PVP to achieve. And more Skill points to be able to pluck into our builds.

What do you guys think? And do you think an extra 5 levels and an introduction of Mark XIII gear would make PVP better or worse if that was all the Level cap increase was?
You think that your beta test was bad?
Think about this:
American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by webdeath on

Comments

• nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They might squeeze it in for Season 7 (by years end) - but I highly doubt it (or desire it).
  • shivelymattshivelymatt Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I dont want to a level cap increase, imo it always takes something away from the game, not to mention they would add level 55 ships, that would make all the level 50 ships stupid to use and tick off alot of people who paid money for them. As the game is now, I really dont want to see that. dont give them ideas!

Vortax
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,604 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    IMO it would make pvp worse... they either don't add a new level to the skill tree and we all have 6 points in ANYTHING important and it makes the game more bland.... or they give us a new level on the skill tree and really really TRIBBLE it up somehow.

I don't know before the fleet ships I could have seen it... and then had fleet ships only allowed in the NEW end game PvP section.... but really what would be the point of that either.

At this point I don't see the point in increasing the cap at all. Why really what does it gain us accept of a new grind for MK XIII and MKIV... I could be wrong of course.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    haveing been at level cap for so long, i really fail to see the point of levels at all. higher grades of items is just asking for more balance trouble. tier 6 will never happen, to much money has been spent on tier 5 ships. making those things you spent all that money on worthless with a new tier of ship might be criminal. leveling up, lower tier ships, it all seems pointless, except for teaching you the very basics with more simple ships if your a new player. now if you liked some of the lower tier ships, you can use them at end game if you shell out $20.

i think leveling is a very outdated concept, especially in a game like this. its got nothing to do with any of the content, and is just a way to gate things. gating is fine, they could do it without leveling though. also putting expertise points into station powers to get a shorter cooldown, whats the point of this? why does this exist? they could cut a ton of arbitrary stuff like this out and it would effect almost nothing.
  • webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I dont want to a level cap increase, imo it always takes something away from the game, not to mention they would add level 55 ships, that would make all the level 50 ships stupid to use and tick off alot of people who paid money for them. As the game is now, I really dont want to see that. dont give them ideas!

Vortax

Honestly, it wouldn't. Especially if they simply just make it so that Fleet ships are the level 55 ships. They wouldn't even have to introduce next tier ships till level 60.
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dassemstodassemsto Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tier 6 will never happen, to much money has been spent on tier 5 ships.

or so you think.. I bet they say, "Hey, we copy/pasted all the low ships and made T5 copies with little or no effort, and sold them for a heap of easy cash! Let's make another tier and do it all over!"

Say hello to fleet-retro-admiral-refit-ships! (only 2500 Zen!)
  • shivelymattshivelymatt Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    webdeath wrote: »
    Honestly, it wouldn't. Especially if they simply just make it so that Fleet ships are the level 55 ships. They wouldn't even have to introduce next tier ships till level 60.

so, you are ok with TRIBBLE thousands of people out of money they spent on level 50 ships? I think not, hell i must have spent like $80 on content, and some of my friends have done twice that. If they increase the level cap, and dont upgrade the ships i would open a forum for a multi person lawsuit. because that would not be right at all, so no i dont see them doing it any time soon, or at all, and if they do, they better at least give refunds.
    edited August 2012
    so, you are ok with TRIBBLE thousands of people out of money they spent on level 50 ships? I think not, hell i must have spent like $80 on content, and some of my friends have done twice that. If they increase the level cap, and dont upgrade the ships i would open a forum for a multi person lawsuit. because that would not be right at all, so no i dont see them doing it any time soon, or at all, and if they do, they better at least give refunds.

So.. what are the Fleet ships then, where if you bought the Z-store Variant you get to spend 500 Zen and then some fleet marks to get your upgraded version and move any consoles to that ship? (Except for the Odyssey/Bortasqu)

But hey, go ahead, try to Provide some Lawsuit to Cryptic/PWE when you agreed to play the game as it is, and are under no obligation to spend the extra money on the C-store when this is an MMO and an MMO is ever changing and Evolving. Level caps can/will get raised. So what if you spent all that Money on a single tier? You'll just spend just as much, if not more money on a later tier when it gets released. And if you don't, some one else will. :rolleyes:
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They already said a few times, that the Level Cap will never increase beyond 50. They are planning on progression in other ways, probably around BOFF's to Captain when you reach cap, or something like that.
    edited August 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    They already said a few times, that the Level Cap will never increase beyond 50. They are planning on progression in other ways, probably around BOFF's to Captain when you reach cap, or something like that.

Really? They did? Do you have a Post that you can Quote the link or Statement from to here? Because I'd love to see that one.
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    webdeath wrote: »
    Really? They did? Do you have a Post that you can Quote the link or Statement from to here? Because I'd love to see that one.

Searching, this is what I found so far ...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4480811&postcount=5
    Al Riveria in an interview yesterday said that no, they do not intend to raise the level cap. What they intend to do is raise the ranks though. He didn't say how, but it appears they are thinking of having lvl 50 as a solid cap, then we will unlock the ranks though special content, since making content to level with is not cost effective and it makes lvl 50 content obsolete

Cryptic do change their mind often though :P
    edited August 2012
    Searching, this is what I found so far ...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4480811&postcount=5

Cryptic do change their mind often though :P

Alright, well, That sucks. Thanks. I''ll go back to skulking and what ever it is I do around here.. :(
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mavairomavairo Member Posts: 579
    edited August 2012

They'll do it. They aren't a quality company and they don't care, they'll just slap another 5 levels on towards the end of this games life cycle (which is approaching) haphazardly.

Good rule of thumb with the jackwads known as Cryptic is, if they say it won't happen, you've got a 70 percent chance of it actually happening.
  • dassemstodassemsto Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mavairo wrote: »
    towards the end of this games life cycle (which is approaching) haphazardly.

Oh, c'mon... saying this game will flop? that's so season 1.2! :D ("I give this game one year tops!" was heard everywhere back then)

Cryptic is hauling $hitloads of cash on lockboxes, ship modules and doff packs and whatnot now. I bet their income has doubled since last year! People are ruining their economy and crying for more! :D

In addition, STO shares engine with games that are yet to be launched, so upgrades to the engine are basically free.

This game is not going anywhere.
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I doubt there will be level cap increase. We will just get new ships every year that have +10% shields/hull +console. Some ships will have 6 tactical consoles, so there won't be much use for any other ship especially for those powerful 2 tactical console ships.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • mavairomavairo Member Posts: 579
    edited August 2012
    dassemsto wrote: »
    Oh, c'mon... saying this game will flop? that's so season 1.2! :D ("I give this game one year tops!" was heard everywhere back then)

Cryptic is hauling $hitloads of cash on lockboxes, ship modules and doff packs and whatnot now. I bet their income has doubled since last year! People are ruining their economy and crying for more! :D

In addition, STO shares engine with games that are yet to be launched, so upgrades to the engine are basically free.

This game is not going anywhere.

I called f2p within a month of when it was going to hit, 8 months in advance.

And frankly, Cryptic has enjoyed a lul in scifi titles on the pc that were worth a damn.

There's Two right off the top of my head I can think of about to Smack This Game Into the Floor. Mechwarrior, and X Com. Trion is coming out with a 1 2 punch in the scifi departments as well with Defiance and End of Nations. Let us also not forget Star Wars is going Free To Play.

In the non fantasy depts, RIFT is about to launch a new expansion, Guild Wars 2 is coming. Now you think STO is going to stand up against those? If this were a boxing match cryptic would be that moron swaying in the corner with is brains half beaten out, against Lightweights. And here he is thinking he's going to win in the Heavyweight division. PC gaming has been relatively quiet, during STOs lifespan thus far. That quiet period is coming to an end.

This game is going to attempt to launch in Asia. It's going to Flop, Horribly, as the prices are far higher than what people over there are used to shelling out for their special items, the pvp is a joke which is Bread And Butter for anything launching in Asia. without pvp this game is going to flop hard.

The Expense of this coming Failure, coupled with the coming Sales Tank known as the Neverwinter game they are devving will be enough to in 2 years tops, Destroy Cryptic as a company.

I'm calling it now. 1 year from now at most this game will be in advanced stages of Decay, 2 years from now STO will most certainly be dead. Within a year after that Cryptic will be completely gone.
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It won't happen any time soon. This is one of Cryptic's aces in the hole. Likely, they will wait until the game starts becoming stale and they need something to brand as an expansion.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • teleon22teleon22 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    You know, to be honest. I do not want to see the level CAP increased at all.

There are a few really good games that don?t focus so much on character building through leveling. Star Trek Online could have been one of those games and in some ways could still be one of them; where you as the player improve you Character by accumulated better Bridge Officers and better Bridge Officer Abilities, rather than even more hit points, weapons and bigger and deadlier Star-Ships.

I?d prefer Star Trek Online was more focused on skillful game play rather than monster kill and level grinding.

Plus, with a level increase... think how much more trouble adding more factions would be... I still have some small hope that the Romulans will make it into the game.
  • toslover#1432 toslover Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Vortax

Concerning the ships, I think it's gonna be much like the Rear Admiral Lower Half/Rear Admiral Upper Half/Vice Admiral thing. No ships until the top rank. If they added two more levels, it'd be Admiral and Fleet Admiral, but we wouldn't get any Tier 6 ships until we hit Level 60 (Fleet Admiral).
    2rbz410.jpg
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    im hoping for DOWN actually
    back to captain
    Live long and Prosper
  • teleon22teleon22 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    im hoping for DOWN actually
    back to captain

Yeah, me to... but, that is a different issue. I want to keep the T5 ships as they are... but yeah... I hear what you are saying. :cool:
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'd like to see No level cap increase. Instead since we are currently go through Rear Admiral (Lower and Upper) and end at Vice Admiral, I'd like to see them introduce some additional challenging content (both combat, puzzles, and right conversation choices) that once you complete it, changes your rank simply to "Admiral". I'd stay away from giving players the title of Fleet Admiral, leave that for Quinn, or on the outside grant it only to the highest ranking members of Fleets as perhaps another set of content you have to complete with your Fleet.

But more levels, more marks .... that's just asking for balance issues and probably them breaking the skills involved somehow. Nah. Level Cap is fine as it is.