What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Graphics

starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Ten Forward
Well I'm going to cut to the chase.

This Graphics plus STO = Hummina Hummina Hummina

Don't get me wrong, this game in space is beautiful on max graphics, but if the ground area was to look like this?.... Wow would be an understatement.

Just saying, food for thought.
The Average PvP player
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1) Teamwork and timing is #1
2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
3) You are going to die, just get back up
Post edited by starcommando101 on

Comments

• Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I know what you mean, speaking of graphics cryengine 3 has the best visual aspect imo but we can all dream of have such high detail without the fps/network performance loss in every game we want to play lol
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    discotrashdiscotrash Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I like the graphics in STO :)
    Wolfmind: Hunter Ranger
  • Options
    starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I love the graphics too but It's just a fantasy
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe once this game comes out, Cryptic will decide to beef the graphics to remain competitive. Probably not until then though. :(

Still one can dream.
  • Options
    discotrashdiscotrash Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm running the game on a GTX 560 SE and think it looks really good. Also got 8X AA on too.
    Wolfmind: Hunter Ranger
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    There is a big difference between a single player game and an MMO.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    In my time I have played a lot of MMO's and so far STO's settings on max I say are a lot better than many other MMO's and many other games that came out around the lauch of STO.
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »

Heh, I know Taco I know, mainly due to how texture loading and management is handled esp with tracking all that positioning data for all clients in each instance and to manage bandwidth load.

But, we can dream can't we? ;)
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    edited August 2012

We know Taco, but imagine the possibilities!
  • Options
    forjoatinxanforjoatinxan Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Not much -- games like Halo and Crysis have multiplayer in environments larger and far more complex than the small instances we get in STO. Besides the social zones, only Defera, Bajor, and Nukara have more than 5 players in them (ground zones).

I know it's "different". But the real difference is in the size (and budget) of the developer team and the maturity of the engine.

If STO were not so heavily instances and had seamless map transitions, I'd agree. But with all the zoning and small sandboxes, the MMO excuse doesn't fly as far.

-Forjo
    My oldest post (that I can find)
    Former Cryptic User #11424
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Not much -- games like Halo and Crysis have multiplayer in environments larger and far more complex than the small instances we get in STO. Besides the social zones, only Defera and Nukara have more than 5 players in them (ground zones).

I know it's "different". But the real difference is in the size (and budget) of the developer team and the maturity of the engine.

If STO were not so heavily instances and had seamless map transitions, I'd agree. But with all the zoning and small sandboxes, the MMO excuse doesn't fly as far.

-Forjo

No, I know what Taco means; with a single player game you know what sort of hardware your playerbase is going to have, but with an MMO (particularly a F2P one) you need as large a playerbase as possible, and with it come many kinds of (often outdated) hardware and internet connections.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well I'm going to cut to the chase.

This Graphics plus STO = Hummina Hummina Hummina

Don't get me wrong, this game in space is beautiful on max graphics, but if the ground area was to look like this?.... Wow would be an understatement.

Just saying, food for thought.

Unreal Engine 3 ? meh.... overused.
    granted STO's ground combat could be a lot more visually pleasing without all the silly mmo shiny effects of the various powers...

but even space can be easily topped.

what STO would realy profit from would be that awesome Engine of "Nexus the Jupiter Incident".

here is a Star Trek Mod of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_EX3_nfpZ4&hd=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoedZ8qR9I&hd=1

you want Carrier Gameplay? try this on for size:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NICVzMC-ZSI&hd=1

that game is easily 5 years or more old (runs perfect on any current or 4 year old system, needs a lot LESS resources than STO does),
    yet look at the Shield Effects, Explosions, particle and shadder effects...

The Ships are on the same level of quality, just that these ones don't use the one-texture-fit's-all approach that STO uses, and therefore have more attention to detail of specific Ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chrisanslerchrisansler Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Honestly while that game looks good I don't see anything in the trailer that is drastically different than STO in terms of graphics tech, with the possible exception of the Lens Flare Generator that's running at maximum. The real reason that game's ground footage looks so much better seems to be higher polly models and a better / more focused environment design as opposed to the kind of kit-bashed exaggerated scale feeling STO has, that and the animations are far better.

STO's animations however aren't limited by the engine so much as that they're limited by the equipment, time, and talent that Cryptic has at its disposal. As for the models and environment design, even without higher polly models STO ground could look much better and benefit greatly from a reworked design, bringing things to scale and giving planets a bit more of a realistic feel. Alien plants are fine but the ones in STO seem a bit cartoonish to me and could use some redesigning.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We know Taco, but imagine the possibilities!

the possibility of unbearable lag you mean?
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Honestly while that game looks good I don't see anything in the trailer that is drastically different than STO in terms of graphics tech, with the possible exception of the Lens Flare Generator that's running at maximum. The real reason that game's ground footage looks so much better seems to be higher polly models and a better / more focused environment design as opposed to the kind of kit-bashed exaggerated scale feeling STO has, that and the animations are far better.

STO's animations however aren't limited by the engine so much as that they're limited by the equipment, time, and talent that Cryptic has at its disposal. As for the models and environment design, even without higher polly models STO ground could look much better and benefit greatly from a reworked design, bringing things to scale and giving planets a bit more of a realistic feel. Alien plants are fine but the ones in STO seem a bit cartoonish to me and could use some redesigning.

Nailed it.

Where the visuals in STO fail--and there are relatively few places where they do--it comes down to art direction, not technology.
  • Options
    kanecabalkanecabal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Really? I find it always funny when I read "compared to MMO's". I am not going to make this a long post, but look what EVE Online accomplished in all those years. I wish there would be a Star Trek game after the EVE concept (not a 1 to 1 copy with just different models).
    Lifetime - Joined 2008 - U.S.S. Kilimanjaro - Inner Circle
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Amen brother! STO features some incredibly schizophrenic art design. The space ship textures range from gorgeous, shiny, sexy machines to fugly grey blobs. The ground areas are either breathtaking vistas, or resemble the original Pikmin.

But none are as bad as the starfields. They either look like the wonders of the Hubble brought to life, or are so artifacty they look like a picture I took with a camera phone undergone bad compression. Not to mention sometimes (particularly in sector space) they tend to glitch horribly. :P
  • Options
    forjoatinxanforjoatinxan Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Amen brother! STO features some incredibly schizophrenic art design. The space ship textures range from gorgeous, shiny, sexy machines to fugly grey blobs. The ground areas are either breathtaking vistas, or resemble the original Pikmin.

But none are as bad as the starfields. They either look like the wonders of the Hubble brought to life, or are so artifacty they look like a picture I took with a camera phone undergone bad compression. Not to mention sometimes (particularly in sector space) they tend to glitch horribly. :P

A very accurate assessment. It all comes down to time and what is deemed important.

Your last line made me think:

"bring the camera.... closer..."

"do it... or watch these .. grainy things... glitch... HORRIBLY."

-Forjo
    My oldest post (that I can find)
    Former Cryptic User #11424
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!