test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

best combat parser

dood98998dood98998 Member Posts: 389
The title says it all. I'm looking for a good combat parser, which would you reccoomend (liks are greatly appreciated :D)
When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines :D
Post edited by dood98998 on

Comments

• Options
    thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited August 2012
    There are really only two

Advanced Combat Tracker, which requires a custom plugin to work with STO (most pvp'ers use)

or

STOICS...STO integrated combat simulator
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eldioraeldiora Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    do you know where you can get the atc plugin? havent found it on the official atc site
  • Options
    dood98998dood98998 Member Posts: 389
    edited August 2012

Advanced Combat Tracker, which requires a custom plugin to work with STO (most pvp'ers use)

or

Do either of them automatically track in-game?
    When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
    This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines :D
  • Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

or

There is also CombatLogParser. ACT is the best parser for gaming imo though. Can use it with multiple games.

STO ACT Youtube
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    thepleasuredomethepleasuredome Member Posts: 308
    edited August 2012
    The plug in for ACT is contained in the text at this link:

http://bit.ly/HilbertGuide

The Hilbert Guide to STO.

When you turn on combat log (/combat log 1) I believe, it makes a text file in your STO LIve folder. When done you turn it off (/combat log 0) to end the recording session, or it turns off automatically when zoning. You then open your parser and tell it which file to read and it will parse all that text data into graphs and charts of all sorts.

Here's the link to STOICS

http://malicia.straygenius.com/wiki/index.php?title=STO_Integrated_Combat_Software
    Arawn & Ihasa
    OP *is* the new balance, whether you know it or not! Gecko says so.
    Season 7 - Exodus, available online. U buy nao!
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/738221-monetizing-perfect-world-s-latest-update
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There's also another plugin I found on this website (with a nifty tutorial for using ACT)
    STO.cs version 0.9.2.0
    http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/yoc4e/how_to_act_a_semicomprehensive_guide/

And there's the Hilbert one mentioned before:
    STO-PVP.cs version 2.0.1.2
    http://hilbertguide.com/plugins/STO-PVP.cs
    STO-RAW.cs version 1.0.5.0
    http://hilbertguide.com/plugins/STO-RAW.cs
    (simply copy the text in wordpad, and save as ".cs" file)

I prefer the Hilbert one (sto-pvp, haven't tested the other) for it sorts it by the character name and not the handle, which is useful for multiple toons.

Are there other plugins? or updated ones?

I haven't tried STOics yet, will probly give it a try this week-end.
    If anyone has other plugins please share!!!

Edit: Yes, I'm a necromancer, but there would be no point of creating a thread just to point out an other plugin. Oh well, sue me!
  • Options
    jimbeamer5jimbeamer5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've been using both ACT and Combatlog parsers over the last week or so and the results between the two vary - sometimes to a ridiculous level. ACT has much greater detail, which is what I want, but just how accurate is it?
  • Options
    deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    that's a very good question.

I know that when I run ACT and my friend also does , we don't have the same numbers.

From what I understand, we need to be within range of the damage for the parser to read the data. So, if you can't see the damage floaters above your targets, odds are the parser won't read it.
  • Options
    blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i'm also new to reading the combat logs. i started using stoics a couple weeks ago just out of curiosity, and i'm also confused about the accuracy and meaning of all the numbers. i remember reading that the numbers are based on both the damage, and the time that it takes, or something like that. so if you start recording the log ten seconds after your friend starts, and you both stop at the same time, your numbers will be slightly higher than his.

so here's what that seems to be telling me. if i record for 10 seconds and fire one shot that does 1000 damage, it will show 100 dps, but if i record for 20 seconds it will show 50 dps.

is this right? it seems like the time shouldn't matter. it should just tell me how much damage i'm doing during the whole match, regardless of how long it takes.
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • Options
    jimbeamer5jimbeamer5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Don't know about STOIC, but after some more testing I find the combatlog parser to be more accurate, with ATC having more details on how did what damage/heal and with what weapon etc.
  • Options
    dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hillberts is extremely inaccurate. He's getting damage from the [] bracketed numbers when it should be from the unbracketed numbers. So it has no relation to real damage done. The previously posted http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/yoc4e/how_to_act_a_semicomprehensive_guide/ along with her .cs file https://raw.github.com/Abydos1/act-sto-plugin/master/sto.cs uses the correct unbracketed numbers and from my experience seems to work perfectly.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
  • Options
    bladepriestbladepriest Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have heard rumors that using the combat logs is in violation of the user agreement. Is there any truth behind this??

I am just wanting to do some in depth testing on several different ships and configurations and dont want to get banned just for wanting to get some hard numbers on various set ups.
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have heard rumors that using the combat logs is in violation of the user agreement. Is there any truth behind this??

I am just wanting to do some in depth testing on several different ships and configurations and dont want to get banned just for wanting to get some hard numbers on various set ups.

Anyone who tells you that the combat log is a TOS violation apparently is so constipated that TRIBBLE has started coming out there mouth. You will not get banned for using the combat log, if it was against some TOS why did they put the command in game? I would also be long banned along with hundreds of others that monitor there dps.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    john98837 wrote: »
    Anyone who tells you that the combat log is a TOS violation apparently is so constipated that TRIBBLE has started coming out there mouth. You will not get banned for using the combat log, if it was against some TOS why did they put the command in game? I would also be long banned along with hundreds of others that monitor there dps.

I believe it was Brandon or Geko that flat out said in an interview that they dont see any issue with it, but that a user should mind that that is not an endorsement.

I take that as use at your own risk but the chances of anyone pitching a fit about it are pretty much nil if youre not otherwise violating the TOS.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    gstamo01gstamo01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The more preferred plugin for STO if you are using ACT. Multiple players in your group that all run this plugin will always end up with the same numbers so long as they stay in range of each other. No other plugin I have tried does this.

There would not be a combat log if they didn't want you to be able to read it.
    You know Cryptic has Jumped the Proverbial Shark when they introduced Tractor Pulling to Star Trek Online! :D
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I believe it was Brandon or Geko that flat out said in an interview that they dont see any issue with it, but that a user should mind that that is not an endorsement.

I take that as use at your own risk but the chances of anyone pitching a fit about it are pretty much nil if youre not otherwise violating the TOS.

Not an endorsement? Adding the /CombatLog command can, IMHO, not be seen as anything, but an endorsement. I can see a grey area if the output of the Combat data were redirected to a log-file (or read from screen or something) via a third-party tool. But adding the /CombatLog command directly to the game themselves can only ever mean 1 thing: that its use is legal, and endorsed. Otherwise it would be as silly as saying reading tooltips is not endorsed.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited December 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Not an endorsement? Adding the /CombatLog command can, IMHO, not be seen as anything, but an endorsement. I can see a grey area if the output of the Combat data were redirected to a log-file (or read from screen or something) via a third-party tool. But adding the /CombatLog command directly to the game themselves can only ever mean 1 thing: that its use is legal, and endorsed. Otherwise it would be as silly as saying reading tooltips is not endorsed.

The combatlog could just have been something left over from development and is still useful for hunting down bugs etc.

Also most parsers only read this file so there's also no ToS issues with it as there is no game modification going one.

One last thing, I was going through some screenshots earlier, found one with my old fleet...mucking around. Looked at Zone chat for DS9 in the picture and there's your character, Kira Shepard asking "If there's a special reason the D'Kora uses photon torps instead of quantums".

Funny lil things you find...I miss those days on DS9 :(

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    bpharma wrote: »
    The combatlog could just have been something left over from development and is still useful for hunting down bugs etc.

True that. Maybe they meant to remove it one day? (Probably as soon as they decide to remove the debug 'Material files reloaded' message; aka, not for a very long time :P).

Maybe 'not endorsed' could simply mean as much as them reserving the right to remove the command one day, as they see fit, leaving us no recourse to complain.
    Also most parsers only read this file so there's also no ToS issues with it as there is no game modification going one.

Yes, that was the grey area I had in mind: anything that requires tapping into the game (output) directly would be on shaky grounds.
    One last thing, I was going through some screenshots earlier, found one with my old fleet...mucking around. Looked at Zone chat for DS9 in the picture and there's your character, Kira Shepard asking "If there's a special reason the D'Kora uses photon torps instead of quantums".

Awww. :) Funny thing, I recently came across a screenshot of you too (posted in these threads, but removed shortly thereafter) apparently dong some 35k+ dmg. Yikes; seems one of us made some significant progress, the other did not. ;)

N.B. My question about D'Kora doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense now; but I still do fly my D'Kira.
    Funny lil things you find...I miss those days on DS9 :(

I should visit DS9 more often. Too many Gorn jokes at one point, iirc.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited December 2013
    DS9 is dead, soon as no-one needed to go there for STF stuff it just died completely. Whole sector is barely populated, all about home systems, Tau Dewa and spire now.

Funny you should mention that thread, I was looking for it for ages, whatever happened to it? Too many trolls or did I stir things up too much with my wildly inflated fake dps that can't possibly be possible?

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.