test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic: August 2012

Comments

• rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited August 2012
    Season 7 info looks nice , but more than one new sector is needed really , unless its a bloody big one :P
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I loved everything I read, gives me some encouragement to play the game again. Glad to hear we will be able to do more with our bridge officers and have more story.

My only concern is the tutorial. Please don't make it like the current KDF tutorial, thats more or less a waste of time. Try to make it either skippable or short for those of us who are altoholics.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • general1devongeneral1devon Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    <
    Is waiting for a better NX budle, Xindi and Temporal Cold War FE, an Delta Quadrant *starts holding his breath
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Glad to see this posted:

We don?t need to ?think? the player base is larger or more active because we have the benefit of knowing exactly how many people are playing, for how long, and how many Fleet Marks are being earned by each character and each Fleet.

Cryptic know who plays the game and for how long and what they do. Its laughable how some folks think Cryptic is evil and makes changes just to TRIBBLE them off.
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Dstahl: STO could have maintained as a subscription only game, so the assumption is false. We still have a very healthy amount of subscribers. In fact, we added more lifetime subscriptions during last month?s sale than we expected.

Interesting statement since Atari's own financial disclosure, including Cryptic's profitability, appear to discredit this.

Will there ever be any stats on how many players Cryptic had in the subscription model vs. F2P? That would be an interesting metric. (and I'm sure a very positive one based on current experiences)
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Interesting statement since Atari's own financial disclosure, including Cryptic's profitability, appear to discredit this.

Will there ever be any stats on how many players Cryptic had in the subscription model vs. F2P? That would be an interesting metric. (and I'm sure a very positive one based on current experiences)
    It's quite possible that STO was profitable, while NWN development was a huge cash drain to Cryptic; and CO could have been making money, losing money, or breaking even. The thing about Corporations with multiple divisions is that P&L statements don't show the whole picture for each division, just the whole.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Really getting tired of seeing people in 5 man fleets whining that it's too hard for them. I don't think this system was intended for such small fleets, nor should it be. The rest of us spend a lot of our free time recruiting, I don't think fleets that small should be given any special considerations. Either deal with the limitations of your size or grow.
    edited August 2012
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Really getting tired of seeing people in 5 man fleets whining that it's too hard for them. I don't think this system was intended for such small fleets, nor should it be. The rest of us spend a lot of our free time recruiting, I don't think fleets that small should be given any special considerations. Either deal with the limitations of your size or grow.

How dare you have a Tom Paris Pic and be rude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    How dare you have a Tom Paris Pic and be rude

Not being rude, and it's not only about this subject, there's a lot of people that think this game should be changed based on their own special needs, and often times when these changes happen, they have a more negative impact on the game as a whole. Too many people's mommies told them they were special a little too often. Just hate seeing this game made easier and easier because people don't want to work for anything.
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I was hoping for an answer on the 700 day veteran android options.

I'm mystified why the devs keep avoiding this question.
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Don't forget all the silencing you have to endure as a result of people ignoring the incessant fleet recruitment spam. Some of them are just following orders, stop killing the messengers!:cool:
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • cakeballscakeballs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not being rude, and it's not only about this subject, there's a lot of people that think this game should be changed based on their own special needs, and often times when these changes happen, they have a more negative impact on the game as a whole. Too many people's mommies told them they were special a little too often. Just hate seeing this game made easier and easier because people don't want to work for anything.

You're pretty hardcore. I still don't see the benefit of talking about people's parents and how they were brought up.:confused:
  • asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    Q: (asdfjkadfjkasf) Is there ever going to be a TNG skant uniform? And if so, would it be unisex like the one in the show?

Dstahl: It almost happened for the TNG 25th anniversary, but we ended up doing the Season 1 uniform instead. If and when the skant arrives, it will be unisex.

I can't wait now :D
    edited August 2012

Small Scale Fleets are less fortunate and need a little leeway until its size expands. just saying, not permanently, but maybe a new fleet starting out get a little boost, its tough starting and buildind up a new fleet with so many existing ones
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hondix84hondix84 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe i can get some answers here, maybe even from a DEV (please)!

I used up all my Charakter Slots, 46 for now. All toons maxed out...
    Is there any way to get more Slots on my account or at least in the future when new factions are released??
    And i dont mean 2 more for a liftime subscription.

My fun for this game is to create and play a toon on every ship in the game, at least the Tier4-5 one and some below and now i have no slots left...

A second account would be no solution because of all the c-store Items...

I dont ask for free slots, i still would pay for them as i did for all the others.

Hopping for an answer on this.

Best wishes @Ironman84 (loyal subscriber since day one)
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Saw the new ask cryptic link on twitter, took a look.

It just sounds like a pre-canned PR statement :(

No reason to come back from my break I guess, back to Fallout.
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow, Cryptic really couldn't care less about their subscribers' vet reward promises not being upheld.

ANDROID VARIANTS ANDROID VARIANTS ANDROID VARIANTS
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cutedge242cutedge242 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So a lot of the questions are answered with answers like 'well, this isn't really working, we aren't going to be able to do this' and 'yeah that's a long way off'. I have to say, thank you for this. I always liked the engineering reports and all the optimism about what is coming but I would rather hear "you know, merging all sector space into one map has a lot of issues, it's not really coming soon" than "we're looking at sector space merges, more to come!" for years. Realism is better than feeling like being strung along, so thank you for your honesty dstahl.
  • brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    switchngc wrote: »
    If you are willing to make 800 characters to exploit the Lobi mission to get a carrier, you may want to re-evaluate your priorities.
    In MMOs, exploits are not a matter of priorities. They are a matter of gold farmers. If even 20 accounts could flood the market with Recluse Carriers after a month, that would destroy the purpose of having them be a limited ship in the first place.

Also who are you to say what someone's priorities should be? (linking to a few posts upthread)

I just bought 2 Widow fighters for 11M EC each. Spending Lobi on them at that price is cuckoo. The reason I was so glad to buy them is there's really not enough small craft variety for the KDF. I'd like to have more C-Store things to consider buying, but I use my points on dilithium and keys and occasionally DOFFs... because I have other priorities than grinding dil. :P
    switchngc wrote: »
    If that is the only Free Lobi chance I would gladly give it up in exchange for it being account bound.
    You don't need to convince dstahl, you need to convince every user that pops up asking for more free Lobi. ;)
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i liked a lot of the answers, most were pretty direct with revealing information. the tier 5 connie comment wasn't handled well, thats only gonna spawn more 40 page threads about it. at least the nova and saber are 'new' ships, the connie is old as hell. i would have preferred a fleet tkono over a fleet ktinga i think, just becase the tkono looks newer. the ktinga is old as hell too. being a huge fan of how my fleet ktinga performs, i think i'll stay out of connie debates, other then to say its more reasonable for there to be a fleet ktinga then a fleet connie.

that new sector between psi valorum and pi cannis sounds great, thats were the romulan, federation and klingon boarder all intersect, the possibilities there are endless. what would be the far right sector of that block would be the planet were the saucer of the enterprise D crashed, that would be a great opportunity for a new social zone or something

heres hoping for fleet marks in pvp soon, if you want people to play certain content, the best way to incentivise right now is fleet credits. not making pvp worse for the time being is good, but with so many overpowered ships, especially the bug, and overpowered console, especially the leach, it makes pvp less fun. i win buttons plus a skilled player destroys pvp game play, and drives players from it
  • terkieterkie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Q: (Paulyman) I am particularly unhappy with what was done to Nukara. You guys seem to think our player base is larger and more active than what it is. If a small fleet has one or five dedicated players who commit 2 hours out of their day to do a repetitive grind for the good of their small fleet, what is the harm to the game?

First off I think that Nukara is EXACTLY what this game needed, and I hope the new sector has more like it! Past MMO's that I've played and enjoyed all had grinding area's because no one wants to do that same stuff over and over just to cap out and reach end game. Which is what was happening with STO. Fight in space fight on the ground fight in space again, level up, get some new gear and do it all again. It gets repetitive. More grinding areas and mini games like Nukara and mining asteroids helps fight the monotony. Here's my suggestion, when you add more content to existing systems throw in random grinding areas for us to hack and slash. Maybe it's not cannon because Trek is not all about fighting and wars, but some of it is and STO is a GAME. Hack and slash / Grinding is fun for a lot of players.
    Captain Trekkie VA-UFP
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i liked a lot of the answers, most were pretty direct with revealing information. the tier 5 connie comment wasn't handled well, thats only gonna spawn more 40 page threads about it. at least the nova and saber are 'new' ships, the connie is old as hell. i would have preferred a fleet tkono over a fleet ktinga i think, just becase the tkono looks newer. the ktinga is old as hell too. being a huge fan of how my fleet ktinga performs, i think i'll stay out of connie debates, other then to say its more reasonable for there to be a fleet ktinga then a fleet connie.

that new sector between psi valorum and pi cannis sounds great, thats were the romulan, federation and klingon boarder all intersect, the possibilities there are endless. what would be the far right sector of that block would be the planet were the saucer of the enterprise D crashed, that would be a great opportunity for a new social zone or something

heres hoping for fleet marks in pvp soon, if you want people to play certain content, the best way to incentivise right now is fleet credits. not making pvp worse for the time being is good, but with so many overpowered ships, especially the bug, and overpowered console, especially the leach, it makes pvp less fun. i win buttons plus a skilled player destroys pvp game play, and drives players from it

I didn't catch the location.

Interesting.

That's where the Enterprise-C disappeared (which could tie into the story regarding that) and not really all that far off from where Kirk died and the Nexus hit. (If it's a wide sector block, it could include that.)

In fact, one of my oblique posts awhile back was really about how I'd like a Trilithium mining fleet holding in the Veridian system.

That does seem to be the area where Trilithium mining would happen.

And I think it would be pretty neat to have Kirk's grave as a visitable place in the game.

And I've been thinking how Veridian IV would make an interesting ground hub. Kirk died saving it.

It was 250 million people or so in an industrial society then but it's not inconceivable that they hit warp capability in the last 35 years seeing as how Earth pretty much made that leap in a 50 year span.

The Veridians hit warp. It draws our attention to them. They control an area of space where trilithium exists.

See, I always thought Kirk's death didn't feel meaningful and that something needed to be done to show that the people he sacrificed himself to save were IMPORTANT.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'll add that I am somewhat cautious when it comes to S7 hinging on a hub with no mention of story content.

The Tholian Incursion is promising in some ways and I get reasons why it is easier to produce but I think that while episodes don't need to be synonymous with content, you do need some episodes that frame content and a bit more narrative than STFs or invasion zone hubs.

I'm not convinced that Cryptic gets STORY on an intuitive level and I'm concerned they're still trapped between the false paradigm that too many game designers fall into of STORY! (like a MOVIE!) versus GAMEPLAY (like a GAME!) when I don't see real story is necessarily synonymous with something being cinematic or wholly linear, nor do I think something wholly non-linear is all that interesting.
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm not convinced that Cryptic gets STORY on an intuitive level and I'm concerned they're still trapped between the false paradigm that too many game designers fall into of STORY! (like a MOVIE!) versus GAMEPLAY (like a GAME!) when I don't see real story is necessarily synonymous with something being cinematic or wholly linear, nor do I think something wholly non-linear is all that interesting.

This makes me think of how the storyline for STO seems trapped in the year 2409.

We have to move forward in the progression of the story and history.

It's why many of us are tired of the Federation-Klingon War as it makes both sides look like idiots. I say that because we know that both were having strings pulled by those like the Undine and Iconians.

Time has come to unfreeze time and step forward.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Having the Klingons and Feds at war in 2409 is a great START to a story, a foundation to build on. But instead of moving that story forward, we've been at constant war between the Klingons and Feds for almost 3 years now. In gametime, it should be closer to 2412 (at launch, game should've been closer to 2410).
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    Having the Klingons and Feds at war in 2409 is a great START to a story, a foundation to build on. But instead of moving that story forward, we've been at constant war between the Klingons and Feds for almost 3 years now. In gametime, it should be closer to 2412 (at launch, game should've been closer to 2410).
    The STO timeline/Stardate changes as you play. At level 1 there is a big war, but as you play you're slowly affecting that war. You earn some trust with the KDF through the Missions. For example, you eventually get rid of B'vat and by the time you reach VA, at a much later Stardate then when you started, the Feds and KDF are far more cordial toward each other. They're working together to deal with Borg, Iconians, and Undine. So yes, the story does advance as you play.

So it's not about needing to get rid of the war. It's just about understanding that by the time you get to VA the war is coming to a close through your actions.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Dstahl: We appreciate that many characters may wish to change their previous species choice and/or trait choices, and we want to add a feature to allow these changes to be made. However, but we are still a few months away from nailing this down.

Well lets hope so! We are counting on you ^o^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • mikeward1701mikeward1701 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Q: (asdfjkadfjkasf) Is there ever going to be a TNG skant uniform? And if so, would it be unisex like the one in the show?

Dstahl: It almost happened for the TNG 25th anniversary, but we ended up doing the Season 1 uniform instead. If and when the skant arrives, it will be unisex.

Yay Skants!

Given that the TNG Blu-Ray release schedule is estimated to be 2-3 seasons per year. Would it be possible to release TNG themed items to coincide with these releases?

There are many items to choose from;
    Costumes/Uniforms
    Ground Pets
    Weapons
    Ships/Shuttles/Space Pets
    There's probably more items others can suggest, but even so, some items will end up being reserved for a TNG Bundle with Galaxy class interior (whenever that comes), and you only need to choose five from the remaining list!
    Fleet Admiral Ward
    Commander, Starfleet Corps of Engineers • 7th Fleet
    Commanding Officer, U.S.S. HEART OF OAK • NX-1759-B • Odyssey class Star Cruiser ( Lexington Tactical Configuration)
    )
    (Steam - feel free to follow/friend me : )
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey wait a minute!? I enjoyed reading that ... what's going on? :confused:

Thanks!
  • coffee359coffee359 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm sorry to say, but if cryptic doesn't start being more genorous with the in-game buys; it's not going to stand a chance against games like Minecraft. People would much rather pay a fee to get admission to the game and unlimited access, then have a free-to-play game, with an annoying salesman at every corner! Cryptic/Perfectworld; may you please consider what I am saying? I like this game, but I don't want to feel like a geek just because I'm the only person in my country playing it. I'm not being facetious. And I'm bound to get lots of fallout from this post, but think about it. People will want to reward you with their buisiness if you show genuity. It's time to stop being Ferengi!