test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bridge designs

shen69shen69 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Federation Discussion
Every time I visit the bridge I feel like it is empty. I was wondering why the DOFF's I've assigned to Space aren't there as well as some other generic officers. I would be great to have those extra faces on the bridge.

Also, It is nice to visit the bridge, but that's about all ya can do. It would be extremely cool to be able to go to the bridge, sit in the captains chair while traveling through normal space, and be able to access the maps and direct the ship to your destination. You could just take the normal view and shrink it to fit on the bridge view screen.
Post edited by shen69 on

Comments

• atrus19atrus19 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They really need to come out with bridges and interiors to match all the new ships they have come out with.

- Demosthenes01101, from the REAL Star Trek Online forums!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

"You have been, and always shall be, my friend."
    - Pointy-eared, green blooded, hobgoblin

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
    - Sherlock Holmes
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Teh problem with that is, the Bridge is it's own map. And whiel you are there you don'T exist in sector space as your ship but your ground toon on a completely unrelated map.
    Some people have proposed to make a UI that simulates travel to a destination by combining a timer based on distance and the transwarp function that is already in game anyway.

I had another idea.

When you zoom into your ship until the max setting and go one step further "into" your ship, the rendering of your ship disappears and you get a new animated UI overlay that looks like your bridge with a 1st person POV from the captain's chair toward the viewscreen.
    You wouldn't be able to move or turn your head. But the normal UI buttons would be spread out toward the 2 or 3 generic officers sitting in your field of view you can issue orders to: Helm (Speed/Throttle), OPS (using all the fancy abilities like shuttlepets, calling the Azura) and Communication (Galaxy Mini Map plus related buttons).
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ... At least your bridge isn't an annoying red.

I've never had this problem with my bridges, always had enough Bridge officers to fill them up, which I prefer because they have names, names that I made up.
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    timelord79 wrote: »
    When you zoom into your ship until the max setting and go one step further "into" your ship, the rendering of your ship disappears and you get a new animated UI overlay that looks like your bridge with a 1st person POV from the captain's chair toward the viewscreen.
    You wouldn't be able to move or turn your head. But the normal UI buttons would be spread out toward the 2 or 3 generic officers sitting in your field of view you can issue orders to: Helm (Speed/Throttle), OPS (using all the fancy abilities like shuttlepets, calling the Azura) and Communication (Galaxy Mini Map plus related buttons).

That conflicts with your idea because, like you pointed out, the Bridge and Ship interior is its own map, and Space and Ground are basically separate spaces. Early glitches in STO had ships appearing on the ground, human-sized, and some Foundry missions do similar tricks.

Unless you intend to change the entire game engine and probably the whole structure of the game, what you want won't happen. Just play Bridge Commander and be happy.
    shen69 wrote: »
    Also, It is nice to visit the bridge, but that's about all ya can do. It would be extremely cool to be able to go to the bridge, sit in the captains chair while traveling through normal space, and be able to access the maps and direct the ship to your destination. You could just take the normal view and shrink it to fit on the bridge view screen.

On the Bridge and in the ship interior you can set up and obtain special Doff missions that have unique rewards. Before Season 5 the Bridge was the only interface you could use to access Mission Replay. The bridge is also the only way to enter a small craft without having to warp to a base. There's a decent amount of functionality in the bridge.

As for finding faces, you might not have enough Bridge Officers, or you might want to select a bridge with enough space to support them. The Star Cruiser bridges can hold up to 12, but the Defiant bridges only hold 6.
    atrus19 wrote: »
    They really need to come out with bridges and interiors to match all the new ships they have come out with.

Ideally I'd like interior (as in Corridor, Crew and Engine Room) makeovers to match the Small, Medium and Large layouts. A Defiant-sized ship can't hold a two-storey warp core.

Also if they could sell the Belfast interior separately from the Bajoran pack, that would be good.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Each bridge appears to have a certain quota of Tactical/Science/Engineering BOffs. It will fill each quota with a random selection from your commissioned BOff list, and generate random unnamed officers if you don't have enough.

This means if you have all Sci BOffs you'll end up with a random selection of them each time you visit your bridge, along with unnamed Tac and Eng officers.

I believe the quotas for each bridge is random.
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    atrus19 wrote: »

But, before they come out with new bridges, fix the existing ones so the Boffs aren't levitating or embedded in the floor.