test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek: Infinite Space has been cancelled

captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Ten Forward
Yeah I hate to say I predicted this but after the crash last year it's not surprising at all to see it go.

What do you think about this?

Also I would like to point out that Infinate Space had more CBS Support than this game ever will. Blame Mr.Citter.

Like my fanpage!
https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
Post edited by captainbmoney on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It was unofficially cancelled nearly a year ago when they stopped working on it. You're way behind the curve here. :)

Edit: Here's the announcement from last November when they put the Beta on hold: http://star-trek-infinite-space.browsergames.co.uk/news/1/239-star-trek-infinite-space-push-the-pause-button-closed-beta-on-hold.html
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • c4ptain0bviou5c4ptain0bviou5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I think you are posting about this on the wrong board, since this is not STO discussion.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I didn't even know it existed.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's a pity because it offered an alternative to STO (also likely more Trek and less pew-pew)
    edited August 2012
    I didn't even know it existed.
    I playtested it 5-6 times. It was a standard FTP browser game pretty-much built as a top-down shooter. The only really interesting aspect of it was that it was set in the traditional TNG era and that Mike Okuda did some design work on it.

Edit: There's some actual game-play footage on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyxJRuBRZ4 which is quite a bit different then the "trailer" videos. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    It's a pity because it offered an alternative to STO (also likely more Trek and less pew-pew)

How do you figure? Almost all of the trailers featured overhead combat.
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    How do you figure? Almost all of the trailers featured overhead combat.

Wishful thinking on my part apparently with Okuda's involvement .... and less of a 'blender' of different era content we have in STO.

Oh well, there is always The Family Guy browser MMO
    edited August 2012
    Also I would like to point out that Infinate Space had more CBS Support than this game ever will. Blame Mr.Citter.
    I also wanted to add that CBS has no more involvement with ST: IS then they had in STO - they sold a license and the vetted content. Gameforge simply hired Mike Okuda to do some of the basic design work so that they'd match with the TNG era material.
  • commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Say what you will about Cryptic, they are the only one to get a Star Trek game launched.
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Edit: There's some actual game-play footage on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyxJRuBRZ4 which is quite a bit different then the "trailer" videos. :)

That seems a lot like a poor man's STO, awkward skeletons, no Z axis movement, can't fire behind yourself, planets even smaller than those in STO.....

To it's credit I do like how it's warp sequence is an actual warp field rather than "Sector Space" like STO.
    edited August 2012
    To it's credit I do like how it's warp sequence is an actual warp field rather than "Sector Space" like STO.
    IIRC, the warp sequence was just a loading screen that you saw while it loaded your destination. So, for example, you're at Sol, you go click to Vulcan, you see the warp sequence while it's loading Vulcan, then you appear in the Vulcan map.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »

Then you obviously didn't look at the gameplay videos the company posted as it appeared 99% 'pew pew' (it was also top down view only in space - and all cinematics were pre-rendered); and the starbase lounges were just that - lounges for players to meet and RP.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • uncle2fireuncle2fire Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I figured as much, seeing as no progress was made since nearly a year ago
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I wish Cryptic could buy up the Okuda work done there.

The one thing I really would have liked that Infinite Space had was Avery Brooks' likeness.

STO doesn't follow the books and is also set further ahead so I'd love to see a reunion/meeting between Sisko and his child by Kassidy.

The downside is that Avery Brooks probably wouldn't come back and would be difficult to work with these days if he did come back.

The upside is that there are some good Brooks impersonators out there and that Brooks is actually very generous about people using his likeness as Sisko even when he isn't involved.
    edited August 2012
    IIRC, the warp sequence was just a loading screen that you saw while it loaded your destination. So, for example, you're at Sol, you go click to Vulcan, you see the warp sequence while it's loading Vulcan, then you appear in the Vulcan map.

I figured. Still looked nice.
  • nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I thought this was a zombie thread, come back to eat our brains :D
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is sad news indeed , not only for the devs of that game but for us as well ... , because I think that unlike SWTOR , this game would have "pushed" Cryptic to try harder .

They had "Sisko" ?
    How long do you figure until "we" had him , or someone like him .
    Sadly , no such "push" will be forthcoming now , and Cryptic can go on in their meandering ways , with no standard to measure themselfs against (as they don't see SWTOR as a direct competition) .

Well , at least now we have something to point at when players want to scrap STO and hope for a new beginning for a Trek MMO w/another gaming company .
    Sadly , we all seem to loose something from this ... even Cryptic .
  • sahard00msahard00m Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

WOW... I remember that one!

Still, I wonder, with games like THIS and THIS, why does anyone want to play 2D browser space games...

...and will ever STO look amazing like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I condemn false prophets, the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all."
    Gene Roddenberry (1921-1991)
  • roguestarshiproguestarship Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Avartar was good & the guy on screen was good but need a lot of work! It was to tacital mind to get Backing.
    edited August 2012
    sahard00m wrote: »
    Still, I wonder, with games like THIS and THIS, why does anyone want to play 2D browser space games...

...and will ever STO look amazing like that.

DAYUM! STO needs some of that STAT!!!