test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spotlight on the Foundry - 8/3/2012

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited September 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
This week's spotlighted mission is "A Splint in Time" by milesredria. Read more to learn about this incredible player-made mission.

Click here to read more.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Grats to milesredria for getting your mission spotlit! :D
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member Posts: 713 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Congrats!!! i will give it a go.. i love the player made stuff.. also. i am wondering if this is the proper spot to plug my foundry mission to be considered for being spotlit..:) It is called "The cuckoo's nest"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    So does this mean the Foundry is fixed ..?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »
    So does this mean the Foundry is fixed ..?

The editor has been up since yesterday, and the playing of missions since last week :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Is reviewing and tips up yet?
    edited August 2012
    Is reviewing and tips up yet?

No, not yet. We're going to leave that down a bit to give authors time to edit their missions before we reactivate reviewing and tipping.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What's the motivation/thoughts behind leaving reviews and tips off? Just curious. I'm not sure how that effects authors' time to edit and make changes.
    edited August 2012
    elcymerian wrote: »
    What's the motivation/thoughts behind leaving reviews and tips off? Just curious. I'm not sure how that effects authors' time to edit and make changes.

Season 6 brought a lot of changes and new features. For example, one of these changes was the following (from the patch notes):
    • The name displayed in the reticle for interact objects is now labeled with the actual name specified for that object in the map editor.
      • Authors will probably want to rename the objects and contacts they've placed, since players will now see what used to be a private name.

When a player goes in to play a mission and sees one of these objects named something that really wouldn't make sense to anyone but the author, the player might choose to give them a lower rating because of it. Leaving reviewing off (which includes the tipping system) gives an author time to make changes that they'd like to make before being reviewed.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    The editor has been up since yesterday, and the playing of missions since last week :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks for the news! :cool:

Sadly STO crashes on me all the time now..so I don't check on this game to often nwo a days :( .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Whoa! I didn't actually expect an answer. lol Thank you for the explanation, Brandon.
  • skaldraskaldra Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have a question... how do the devs actually choose the foundry spotlight mission? I am trying hard to create high quality missions but it doesnt seem like Im getting anywhere :(
    My dream is to have one of my missions spotlighted but Im not sure what else I should do!

Can you tell me if the devs actually play every mission or are there criteria for them to review it for the spotlight? Is there a minimum rating? A minimum number of prior reviews? A minimum length?

I would love to know how the process works so that I can get mine up to par!

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    INQUISITOR CRUSHER
    Director of Marketing
    ELITE FORCES COMMAND
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    skaldra wrote: »
    I have a question... how do the devs actually choose the foundry spotlight mission? I am trying hard to create high quality missions but it doesnt seem like Im getting anywhere :(
    My dream is to have one of my missions spotlighted but Im not sure what else I should do!

Can you tell me if the devs actually play every mission or are there criteria for them to review it for the spotlight? Is there a minimum rating? A minimum number of prior reviews? A minimum length?

Thanks!

I think the team from Starbase UGC is making the recommendations, so you might want to kiss up to them.
    edited August 2012
    skaldra wrote: »

Thanks!

Suggested spotlight missions come in from a variety of sources. These include the forums, Twitter, Facebook, Blog comments, in-game chat, podcasts, devs, Foundry Challenges, etc. Feel free to leave your mission name in this forum thread and I'll add it to my list of missions to be considered :) That goes for anyone reading this.

Cheers,

Brandon
  • j4ck5p4rr0wj4ck5p4rr0w Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Suggested spotlight missions come in from a variety of sources. These include the forums, Twitter, Facebook, Blog comments, in-game chat, podcasts, devs, Foundry Challenges, etc. Feel free to leave your mission name in this forum thread and I'll add it to my list of missions to be considered :) That goes for anyone reading this.

Cheers,

Brandon

I thought you did an interview with SBUGC where you said you wanted to put them in charge of that. What happened?
    edited August 2012
    I thought you did an interview with SBUGC where you said you wanted to put them in charge of that. What happened?

They are included under "podcasts" mentioned above -- they have submitted some great missions and continue to do so.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Who actually picks the spotlight missions? I've read several times that missions have been rated tied for first palce etc?

Is there a place we go to vote after playing them (other than the review tab?)

P.S Put on your mirror boots :P
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited August 2012
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Who actually picks the spotlight missions? I've read several times that missions have been rated tied for first palce etc?

Is there a place we go to vote after playing them (other than the review tab?)

P.S Put on your mirror boots :P

I pick the missions that make it to the Spotlight after playing through them (them meaning all the missions that are submitted to be considered). I think you are referring to the missions that were recently spotlighted that won the past Foundry Challenges. Those are special contests I run and one of the prizes is that the winning mission gets a Spotlight feature.

Here are a few links to the last couple challenges:

#3: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=566151
    #3 Winner: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=570761
    #2: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=565741
    #2 Winner: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=565911

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited August 2012
    Hi Captains,

Just a heads up that this week's Spotlight on the Foundry mission has been delayed until next Friday. The author had requested time to make a few edits to their projects, but the editor was unavailable for most of the week, so they'll be able to jump in now and make their edits before next Friday.

Thanks for your understanding :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • chooch99achooch99a Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Brandon, I would not mind adding a mission, my very first which, you yourself reviewed on priority one almost 2 years ago.

"When The War Began". :cool:
  • philo5oraptorphilo5oraptor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Um...just played this mission, and I honestly cant believe it was chosen as a spotlight. Its not bad, but its not very good either. Pretty "meh". But moving beyond things that the author can actually control, when are they going to fix the "no music" bug? It is really annoying flying around in silence.
  • skaldraskaldra Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Cheers,

Brandon

I would just like to point out that I posted my mission in this forum like you told me to and it just got deleted by admin instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    INQUISITOR CRUSHER
    Director of Marketing
    ELITE FORCES COMMAND