test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you use Ultra-rare DOFFs?

mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Duty Officer System and R&D
I am just curious, about how many actually use ultra-rare DOFFs. Obviously they aren't exactly in abundance. But, I have a hunch it's mostly like PvPers who use them probably for the very powerful effects they have, like Muaza Amman'sor, the Xindi-Aquatic DOFF.
I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
Post edited by mimey2 on

Comments

• Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yet to see one.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have an Exocomp but that's it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    indarys70indarys70 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The only Ultra Rares I have are T'likchik'zi, Muaza Amman'sor, and Kel the Retributor
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    By "use", I'm implying you mean 'put on active duty'. I have 2 Tosks, which I use for DOff missions, and my Exocomp, which I never take off active duty, for two reasons:

1. I'm afraid I might accidentally slot it in an officer exchange and lose him (almost did once)
    2. It's an excellent buff to my red matter capacitor

(completely OT, but hope the 'banned' subtitle is temporary, mike.)

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    praghaspraghas Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I am just curious, about how many actually use ultra-rare DOFFs. Obviously they aren't exactly in abundance. But, I have a hunch it's mostly like PvPers who use them probably for the very powerful effects they have, like Muaza Amman'sor, the Xindi-Aquatic DOFF.

When are we getting our Ang the Vicous?
    Cloaking generators break down at first sign of language.
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't know which DOffs are ultra-rare, so I couldn't say.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mirai222 wrote: »
    I don't know which DOffs are ultra-rare, so I couldn't say.

Pretty much any Very Rare DOFF with an ability that normal ones don't have, a few have been mentioned so far, such as the Exocomp, Muaza, etc. Like Muaza for example, is an energy weapons DOFF who has a 0.5% chance on every energy weapons hit to remove buffs from your enemy.

And yeah, I meant that anybody you use on active duty.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'd use an ultra-rare doff that had ultra-rare utility. I got an ultra-rare ferasan patriarch recently and he is nothing special. While a very rare quality technician his traits are nothing to write home about and his special ability is an auxiliary buff in cloak that is the same as the one offered by N'Vek (a blue technician readily availible from the DS9 bundle: and an account wide unlock at that). While N'Vek may offer a +15 buff vs +25 if somebody has specced or built for stealth I'd think the difference would be underwhelming.

He brings nothing to to the table that can't be provided elsewhere. The only value he has to me would be if I located a pokeman addict who was willing to pay me an extortionist fee on the exchange to , "catch em all".

Now if I came upon some of the other "ultra-rare" doff mentioned by earlier posters (like the energy weapon debuff) yes please:).
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ultra rare ARE NOT vry rare doffs with a unique ability, ultra rare are doffs you get from completing specific duty officer assignment mission chains, and it even says on the doff, ULTRA RARE, :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ultra rare ARE NOT vry rare doffs with a unique ability, ultra rare are doffs you get from completing specific duty officer assignment mission chains, and it even says on the doff, ULTRA RARE, :)

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. Unfortunately, I do not have the link to the original quote, but Heretic posted an explanation somewhere around here, saying that even he would mix up the terminology at times.

Ultra-Rare - Handcrafted, non-unique Purple quality (or sometimes, more rarely, other qualities) with non-standard active roster powers. Their power levels are the same as a normal Purple, but they are much rarer due to their non-standard active roster powers and handcrafted nature.

Frontier - Handcrafted duty officers gained as end-chain starcluster Colonial rewards. E.g., Kevan Coyotl. Handcrafted.

Handcrafted - Not generated by the algorithmic system. Can have a quote. Can have non-standard trait and power allocations. E.g., the Guinan clone, Elizabeth Mohr.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    OP theultimatefunky
    ultra rare ARE NOT vry rare doffs with a unique ability, ultra rare are doffs you get from completing specific duty officer assignment mission chains, and it even says on the doff, ULTRA RARE,

Well thanks for that qualification. Maybe the term wasn't the best choice; I didn't choose it but felt it commuinicated the idea clearly enough.

Maybe the examples of "ultra rare" doffs didn't fit the literal interpretation you chose to ascribe to but officers that are readily availible to anyone who completes a seven mission chain don't strike me as "ULTRA RARE" either.

I didn't submit my opinion on the matter so I could wax semantics with someone who shares their wit and wisdom with CAPS and condescension. So, if you please carry on and try to be clever somewhere else:)

have a VRY nice day:)
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited August 2012

No, this is not correct. Ultra-rare DOffs, as defined by Heretic (the Dev originally in charge of the duty officer system), are DOffs with non-standard powers. The DOffs that you get at the end of chains are handcrafted - meaning they were individually designed instead of done by an algorithm - and can have traits that you normally can't find together or aren't native to that species (and so far have all had quotes with them). Ultra-rare DOffs are *also* handcrafted, as ultra-rare has so far been a subset of handcrafted.

As to the original question, I have a few ultra-rares (Exocomp, the 2 FDOs) but don't use them because I don't find their roster powers all that useful but do find the DOffs useful for normal assignments.
  • Options
    sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I use 3x Muaza's when I want to mess around in PV in my Jem Hadar Ship (3 Muazas + Jem'Hadar Set + Sci Captain = lots of subnuking)

It's fun

But so far, dont use any of them outside of PVP
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If I was a PvPer or ?ber min-maxer, I suppose I would more often, but I don't; I like the option to sell if needed.

However, the bound ones I use like a lot. (like the exocomp)
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I often use the Xindi technician in crafting missions, but that's it. I don't need the useless +25 power to aux while cloaked as a fed. :rolleyes:
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have had the Xindi-Insectoid slotted in Active Space for months and months.

I'm never selling her so happy for her to be bound, no other doff like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran