test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TOR officially going F2P

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lonnehart wrote: »
    I guess I'm spoiled by STO as you get full access to almost everything, so I won't be jumping this ship for the other game. Now if it was the original SWG that would be another story...

Hope this link works...

SWtOR Subscription vs. Free Features
    As it's going FTP you don't really need to jump ship. It's OK to play more then one MMO at a time. I'm currently playing a dozen. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lonnehart wrote: »
    I guess I'm spoiled by STO as you get full access to almost everything, so I won't be jumping this ship for the other game. Now if it was the original SWG that would be another story...

Hope this link works...

SWtOR Subscription vs. Free Features

to me i see a good reason to have sub unlike sto
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    to me i see a good reason to have sub unlike sto

They mad because STO makes you buy a key to unlock your loot and they doubt master keys will be in TOR.

TOR is going to Freemium route set by other powerhouses in the industry like Turbine and Paragon Studios (ouch seeing how that studio was started by the loyal members of Cryptic... long story) instead of the PWE gouge route.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited July 2012
    They mad because STO makes you buy a key to unlock your loot and they doubt master keys will be in TOR.

TOR is going to Freemium route set by other powerhouses in the industry like Turbine and Paragon Studios (ouch seeing how that studio was started by the loyal members of Cryptic... long story) instead of the PWE gouge route.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

did i forget to say this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • alastorforthrighalastorforthrigh Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Exactly the point to why TOR's model is superior.
    2qTOAB3.gif
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Turbine has also offered lockboxes that require paid for keys like STO.

I wonder how many people are left running SWTOR atm.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    After playing for 30 days and getting bored, this does not come as a surprise. It really was never worth the subscription, and totally over-rated / over-hyped.
    edited July 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    Turbine has also offered lockboxes that require paid for keys like STO.

I wonder how many people are left running SWTOR atm.

well dont forget in lord of the rings online you get TP for every Zone Quest Deeds Exploration Deeds Slayer Deeds Reputation Deeds point is its a heck of a lot easy to get TP then it is to get Zpoints in sto so for them keys see them alot easyer to get also then it is in sto

http://lotro.mmorsel.com/2010/08/how-to-earn-turbine-points.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Installing now. Going to give it a try....
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Installing now. Going to give it a try....
    As of right now you can only play to level 15 without paying.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    As of right now you can only play to level 15 without paying.

Yup, I know. Thanks though.
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yup, I know. Thanks though.

That is just the starter planet and part of the capital planet. You leave the starter planet about level 10 to 12 depending on how much of a completionist you are and if you just kill at random.

I guess you can run the flashpoint (Esseles for Reps and Black Talon for Imps) right after the starter planet but that will cut into your 15 levels.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2012
    radkip wrote: »
    Well that didn't take long.

Better game and more subs still haha.

I pray TOR never turns into another STO...I might give up MMOs all together then. :( ...but at least TOR has people with souls running it. Anything is better than PWE I reckon :/ ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »
    Better game and more subs still haha.

I pray TOR never turns into another STO...I might give up MMOs all together then. :( ...but at least TOR has peopel with souls running it. Anything is better than PWE I reckon :/ ....

Not really. I'm not entirely a fan of the Freemium model. -_-
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow. Even I didn't think they'd make a "SWToR is going F2P" announcement 7 months post launch. They must have really started bleeding subs after the layoff announcements and the revalation that they lost 400K subs in less then a quarter. Also seems they're contracting to 12 severs for the U.S. 12 servers for Europe and 3 for Aisia.

It's also sad in that ANY spaced based science finction MMORPG idea is going to be saddled with:

"Hey! SWToR proved MMO players DPN'T want a spaced based science fiction backdrop. lets do a high fantasy based design, like WoW - but better."
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • captain4mericacaptain4merica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Caaaaalllled Iiiiit!!!!

Lol......

So did this guy.
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    LOL! That was mighty quick. I told everyone I was staying with STO and I will try TOR when it goes F2P. They all said - you're dumb! TOR will NEVER go F2P! They have millions of subs!!

Ha - I laughed them off then and I laugh again now. The greed in the MMO industry is contagious. It was a sure thing they would go 'freemium'.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I had a strong feeling that around April when the TOR server's population took a nosedive, which resulted in the server merger a few months later, that F2P was definitely going to happen by the end of the year. Even made a post in the STO-TOR thread reflecting this, and sure enough.

Bioware never truly listen to their playerbase and never really gave them what they wanted, such as PvPs issues, finding groups, etc. And of course the speed it took to blow threw their storyline content, it was inevitable.

Really, PW should take notes of what went wrong, because there is alot of parallisms with STO.

But on the bright side with TOR going F2P, I can finish playing the other class storylines that I never got a chance to. That and it would be a great getaway from STO when I get the STO Grind burnouts. ;)
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That was TOR's weakness, for me. Even though there's strictly speaking 8 different storylines, which can each be taken in different directions to boot, it's the padding in between, shared by all classes, that bores you death if you do it over and over..

To be honest, about this F2P business... I'd be more interested if they brought back back SWG as F2P than I am in TOR. For a sandbox-like affair like SWG, a store-model could work very well. For TOR it's probably going to be either A) filled with useless, overpriced junk, or B) they would have to start cutting stuff out of the regular game to the point where they make it almost unplayable without microtransactions. Considering how big an investment TOR needs to reclaim, definately.

But, it's nice to have options regardless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
    edited August 2012
    I never cared for the convoluted story lines and endless monotonous dialogue. The blocky graphics styling was not my taste, and the gameplay was famer-joe/pew-pew, rail shooter looked nice but still sucked. The best part of the game was the awesome music. Meh, I'll give it another go because I am a sucker.

I read that you will still have to buy the game (eg no free download) ? Not sure how true this is.
  • thomas12255thomas12255 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    I never cared for the convoluted story lines and endless monotonous dialogue. The blocky graphics styling was not my taste, and the gameplay was famer-joe/pew-pew, rail shooter looked nice but still sucked. The best part of the game was the awesome music. Meh, I'll give it another go because I am a sucker.

I read that you will still have to buy the game (eg no free download) ? Not sure how true this is.

They're making you pay $15 for the game.

Too everyone complaining about PWE here, at least they don't milk their game series like EA does, I don't see Star Trek Online Premium yet...
    [SIGPIC]http://stosignatures.ufplanets.com/Thomas45-STO.png[/SIGPIC]

{UFP}Thomas45 - Thomas Nixon U.S.S. Majesty Unbound
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    For those who think TOR has low sub numbers, it was made official that TOR currently has between "500,000 to 1 million subs" and 500k was the break even point. Either way, here's to hoping STO's F2P has shown the MMO world what not to do....oh how I hope....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
    edited August 2012
    For those who think TOR has low sub numbers, it was made official that TOR currently has between "500,000 to 1 million subs" and 500k was the break even point. Either way, here's to hoping STO's F2P has shown the MMO world what not to do....oh how I hope....

Yeah, but it lost 300k subscribers just after launch which was a kick in the nuts, and prob about the whole STO player base :P Not sure where I read this, on the internets somewhere, so it must be true.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/swtor/news/swtor-subscriptions-drop-below-one-million-f2p--coming-in-november?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss
    EA President of Labels Frank Gibeau stated that subscriptions have now dropped below the one million mark, indicating that SWTOR has shed at least 300k more subscribers since May when the MMORPG lost 400k following a successful launch in December 2011 that saw more than 1.7 million players join the game.

... feel dirty talking about TOR in the STO forums
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Those numbers were from an article months ago, based on numbers from February.

Not to mention if their servers really had that kind of population, then why did the moved everyone to 12 servers? And last I recall, those servers had like a 5000-7000 person maximum.

And why are they going F2P with half a million subscribers? Everquest had half of that at it's peak and is still around today.
  • dradymdradym Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ahh everquest...was my first mmo...it was gentle, but awkward. simple, yet complex. and the genre hadnt quite grown up, but it was all i knew, and it was sweet. with time as it passes, the question remains, what mmo will i eventually end up with? maybe sto, maybe rift, but i think what ill end up trying to do is make my own, as perfect as i can, as i deem it should be. i suppose thats why japan has cyborgs.....

done with the dream sequence, now back to the discussion....
  • cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Bring back SWG as a F2P game and I'll be a very happy camper...
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    "Update: During this afternoon's investor call, EA President Frank Gibeau revealed that SWTOR subs have dipped below one million but are still "well above" half a million. Forty percent of those leaving do so because of subscriptions. The game claimed 1.3 million subs last May and had leveled off at 1.7 million in March, having sold in the range of 2 million copies. Gibeau hopes the new F2P model will win back players lost to churn."

Ouch. to go from over 2 million copies to less than a million subs is not very good at all. they have never been shy of revealing sub numbers, yet now its less than a mill they wont say, which leads me to think its significantly less than 1 million.

its still a heck of a lot of people either way but considering the targets they set themselves that has to be considered a major disappointment.

im sure f2p will bring a lot of people back, or new players in but considering its a pretty new game and only been out about 7-8 months that drop in figures sounds more like people just dont like the game rather than the cash got too much to spend. with so much content i doubt its people running out of things to do. i wonder after the initial buzz of f2p, how many people it will retain?

i think this is the end of only sub based mmo's. there may be a few like eve and wow that can keep themselves in their holding pattern but i cant see any new mmo launch with a sub model now.
  • realuniqueonerealuniqueone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    I don't see any faults in SWTOR "Free" model. If you don't PVP, you don't need unrestricted access to Warzones. If you don't Raid, you don't need unrestricted access to Operations.

Both of which should be unlockable using real life cash, or via subbing. Their F2P features matrix seem to imply that you MUST be a subscriber to access the Raid content (Operations). One would hope, with more space MMOs being Free-to-play, it's a sign that other space MMOs such as STO need to step up their game, to keep players interested. "Nickle-and-diming" is never a good thing, but outright gouging people for money (Combat EV suits) is worse.

The BIG problem with walling off content is that the people that subscribe (or own the content) tend to find it hard to get pugs together. For example, there are many quests in DDO that you can never find a group for.

I completely agree with cryptic/PWE on not walling off content. There are plenty of other ways you can make money without making a lot of your content a 'dead zone'.
    >>> UniqueOne - Providing you with easy PVP kills since Feb 2012 <<<
  • captmack001captmack001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    see from day 1 i said they needed a type of store for :-

droids
    costumes
    speeders
    xp boosts

companions

they had it all to give and gave nothing for a store and the game was boring spend 30 hours on 1 F(((((((((((((ing planet and not get board yep sorry it was.

this is an interesting fact for you at launch SWTOR had no more content than WOW or STO but because every conversation takes like 3-5 mins it seems longer and i do prefer sto text version along with lotro anbd champions
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    It really was never worth the subscription, and totally over-rated / over-hyped.

So, it stayed true to the movies?

:P

(Okay, I like the first movies, the last three were increasingly Lucas just going "ZOMG MOAR SPECIAL FX")

= = = = =

I do share the hope that this will light a fire under Cryptic.