test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Requirements Needed for STF Elite Games

kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
There needs to be some changes to STF Elites. Cryptic still refuses to acknowledge that newbie players keep fouling it up and frustrating those us of us who are trying to play the game.

What I've seen?
  • quitting after the STF has started
  • quitting when the objective fails
  • quitting at the final boss fight

Not only that but the 1 hour ban is not effective. Cryptic needs to expand that ban to 24 hours, much like the "chat ban" that spammers have been abusing. If not, prevent players from quitting the STF until it's over. My suggestions?
  • the first two players who quit an STF get a 24 hour ban from all STF games
  • players cannot queue for STF Elite until they have played 100+ STF normal games (or until they obtain the MK XI Maco or Omega sets)

It has gotten ridiculous. In the past two weeks, when playing STF Elite (random PUG teams), 95% of the STF Elite games I've played have ended with players quitting the game. New players seem to be only playing the elites to grind and it's making the STF Elites very difficult from those of us who wish to play them. Sure, there are private games you can make, but the lack of players understanding how the elite works because they don't practice with the STF normal games is making the experience very un-enjoyable, to say the least.

I'm not the only one who has expressed frustration at new players because they completely bypass the normals and just jump into Elite games thinking they're easy. The purpose of STF Elite is that you practice on STF normal games to learn how to do the STFs. I do think that Cryptic needs to overhaul the STF Elite system so that before you can jump into it, you need to learn on the normals and play a certain number of the normal STFs before jumping into the advanced STF Elites. It would make the game more enjoyable and less frustrating for the rest of us.
possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
Post edited by kemcha on

Comments

• sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    anyone with a full mk xii set should not be able to queue at all (time to stop)
    Live long and Prosper
  • mb52mb52 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kemcha wrote: »

[*]players cannot queue for STF Elite until they have played 100+ STF normal games (or until they obtain the MK XII Maco or Omega sets)
    [/LIST]

Care to elaborate how I'm to get full MK XII gear without being able to do elite stfs?
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You cna't get the MK XII sets unless you get the drops which is in Elite
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    All I'm saying is that noob players keep jumping into the STF Elites and messing them up for those of us who want to play them to get the Proto Tech gear. If you don't know how to play the STF Elites, then you have no business playing them until you learn how to do them.

Oh, I made an error, I meant to say Omega and Maco MK XI gear ... not MK XII gear.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • darkwhite0darkwhite0 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    • players cannot queue for STF Elite until they have played 100+ STF normal games (or until they obtain the MK XI Maco or Omega sets)

WTF is this... 0o
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ...Sure, there are private games you can make...
    There sure are, I suggest you make them.
  • drasketodrasketo Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    None of your suggestions would work, anyway.

Gear or number of times completed DO NOT have any impact on how well a player plays. That is all up to them.

There are quite a number of people who have ranted and raved about how many thousands of STFs they have done and then, when I ended up in a group with them, they SUCKED. In capital letters.

One dork, one of the admins of the EliteSTF channel (which, by the way, is a joke ...) managed to fall into the plasma 3 times in Infected Ground. On normal. Thats just a taste of his general uselessness.

You can gear a monkey in full XII, run them through 57k stfs and they will still be a monkey.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have issues with threads like this. I have ran STFs as both normal and elite. The team succeeded and failed on both levels. I have seen too many "I'm better than you" elitists rage quit many STFs. I was running one of the ground STFs on elite a while back and after getting tothe boss room, I started having connection issues causing my toon to not respond to my commands. One of the other team members started screaming noob and rage quit the match. I will not run STFs any longer without at least two friends with me. This is just a game folks. If the optionals fail, so be it. Finish the match and try again later. If you see a player having trouble, take the time to at least find out what is going on before labeling them a noob and rage quit. If you don't want to deal with pugs, create a private queue. All of you elitist need step off of your high horses and take a deep breath.
  • eldioraeldiora Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I absolutely hate those "i am better than you" elitist players. Get down from your high horse and maybe explain those players how the STF is run. Yes there are some knowledge resistant players. But in most you can work with other people and help them if it gets a bit harder.

Just today I had a run with a player who havent played in over a year. We did cure ground elite and we still managed to complete it very fast (missed the optional like 30 seconds).

So a gear check or a check how many times someone has run a stf is totally stupid.

Maybe a brain check is in order for those that always bash not so good players.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There needs to be some changes to STF Elites. Cryptic still refuses to acknowledge that newbie players keep fouling it up and frustrating those us of us who are trying to play the game.

What I've seen?

Not only that but the 1 hour ban is not effective. Cryptic needs to expand that ban to 24 hours, much like the "chat ban" that spammers have been abusing. If not, prevent players from quitting the STF until it's over. My suggestions?
    • the first two players who quit an STF get a 24 hour ban from all STF games

It has gotten ridiculous. In the past two weeks, when playing STF Elite (random PUG teams), 95% of the STF Elite games I've played have ended with players quitting the game. New players seem to be only playing the elites to grind and it's making the STF Elites very difficult from those of us who wish to play them. Sure, there are private games you can make, but the lack of players understanding how the elite works because they don't practice with the STF normal games is making the experience very un-enjoyable, to say the least.

I'm not the only one who has expressed frustration at new players because they completely bypass the normals and just jump into Elite games thinking they're easy. The purpose of STF Elite is that you practice on STF normal games to learn how to do the STFs. I do think that Cryptic needs to overhaul the STF Elite system so that before you can jump into it, you need to learn on the normals and play a certain number of the normal STFs before jumping into the advanced STF Elites. It would make the game more enjoyable and less frustrating for the rest of us.

If it frustrates you that much...

Don't Do Pugs.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • captpeacemakercaptpeacemaker Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    eldiora wrote: »
    I absolutely hate those "i am better than you" elitist players. Get down from your high horse and maybe explain those players how the STF is run. Yes there are some knowledge resistant players. But in most you can work with other people and help them if it gets a bit harder.

Just today I had a run with a player who havent played in over a year. We did cure ground elite and we still managed to complete it very fast (missed the optional like 30 seconds).

So a gear check or a check how many times someone has run a stf is totally stupid.

There are walkthroughs for the STFs available.

Elite STFs are run by experienced players who already know what to do. There is a time-sensitive optional objective as well, so there is not time to hold someones hand during the STF if you plan to finish with the optional.

Also, not everyone that is on your team uses voice chat. Its very hard to type out everything to someone who doesnt know what to do, and fly a ship, and fight, and still try to beat the optional objective time all at once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Thowchum
    Legendary Starfleet Captain
    Fleet Leader, The Abductors
    STO Forum Member since December 2010
    Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
  • thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nothing of this list in any way is a problem produced by Cryptic itself.
    So it's not their problem to fix, nor could they.
    Switch character, ban "solved". Does it change anything? No.
    Would an account wide ban change anything? No.
    People who "stink", will always do that, regardless of repercussions they recieve.
    In nearly any game, which had a purely itembased check, it only increased abuse of the system. It increased problems with "bought items" for the company.
    And 100 STFs to learn the freakin thing, you must be kidding. You need 5 minutes to learn all the basics in any normal STF, its just that simple (add 2 minutes for endboss)
    So anyone who doesn't learn it after one full run, doesn't want to learn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I'd like to add screaming, raging, and name calling are not effective training methods. My Ignore list is full of such Elitist people. More so than the leavers, needers, and inexperienced players. I have found some excellent players who just needed a little training and could make the leap from Normal to Elite pretty rapidly. I train new RA in my fleet on elite tactics in normal, we run several missions, get optionals... and then switch to elite... doesnt seem to be a problem. So A # of missions or Gear Requirement is just, imo, not necessary.

I commented in another thread that the penalty is not severe enough, so on that point I do agree with the OP. However, I think his suggestion is a bit severe.

My recommendation; 1 Hour Cool Down ACCOUNT WIDE (with as many alt's as people have, 1 character CD is meaningless). Also, the leavers should face a loss in Dilithium (equal to the mission reward)... or (in the case of fleet events) Fleet Marks, and Fleet credit.

To the OP... if it bothers you that much, join a channel, and run private matches. It is rare to see leavers in those... and remember everyone started with no experience.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    #1: Rip the optionals out. They cause too much drama.

#2: Put perks in that require collecting Mk X, Mk XI, and Mk XII. The current system seems to encourage skipping ahead to getting Mk XII and a lot of people never try for Mk X. Likewise with Normal mode accolades. People might play more responsibly IF they felt like they needed the Normal mode stuff.
  • foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think STF's should be similar the crystal entity.....at the end a leader board is shown for that run through....and whoever did the most damage gets access to the best rewards...and so on.

Or if you are over a certain amount of damage dealing for that STF you automatical get the good stuff....and you get bonus points toward your overal score for say healing others and the likes....

So if people come in and sit at the spawn they get nothing, if they mess about they get nothing....so the more you do in that STF the more you get, while those who do nothing get exactly that....nothing.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nah, I like having the optionals, a team accomplishment bonus if you will... although you are correct that they cause way to much drama. The drama is caused (in my humble opinion) that the Elitists amongst us believe not getting the optional = failure. Its not a problem with the game, or the requirements of Elite STFs, its a problem with the players, and their attitude... no amount of programming can fix that.

What this game needs is a penalty for Unsportsmanlike conduct.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Do what I do and stay the hell away from STFs. :P
  • srafaoraspsrafaorasp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Elite rewards exist no need to do normal with my Fleet when elite has what I need, and there are people in my Fleet to help me.

Fleet
  • marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think elite ground should require a mk X ground set minimum so that they will have the integral remodulator. Elite Space shouldn't require a gear unlock, maybe an accolade unlock instead, like run at least 30 normals first.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dont encourage even longer grind fests that NO-ONE wants to do ... only reason im doing them now is for the dill at the end, dont even want the proto tech drops any more ... wish they had consoles in the sTF store... might have something else to spend those EDC's clogging up my bank atm.
  • brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think STF's should be similar the crystal entity.....at the end a leader board is shown for that run through....and whoever did the most damage gets access to the best rewards...and so on.

Or if you are over a certain amount of damage dealing for that STF you automatical get the good stuff....and you get bonus points toward your overal score for say healing others and the likes....

So if people come in and sit at the spawn they get nothing, if they mess about they get nothing....so the more you do in that STF the more you get, while those who do nothing get exactly that....nothing.

No. I queue with my 1target DPSer. I get 1.7mil on the scoreboard, i queue with my Useless AOEr i get 4mil on the final board, Or i can queue for my Low DPS debuffer who boosts everyone elses Damage by 120% BUT im lowest becuase i have no damage of my own, even tho im the reason everyone is so high dmg.
    Nah, I like having the optionals, a team accomplishment bonus if you will... although you are correct that they cause way to much drama. The drama is caused (in my humble opinion) that the Elitists amongst us believe not getting the optional = failure. Its not a problem with the game, or the requirements of Elite STFs, its a problem with the players, and their attitude... no amount of programming can fix that.

What this game needs is a penalty for Unsportsmanlike conduct.

They need better GMs so when we report people action is actualy taken! If someone gets reported 20 times it could still take 4-5 weeks for a GM to even talk to them. If when someone gets reported action is taken withen the next 24 hours.

If the Optionals ere removed, ALOT of people will stop nerdrage, OMG YOU DIDNT GET THE OPTIONAL YOU NOOBS! HOW DARE U FAIL IM LEAVING YOU NOOBS! Because they didnt get 2 Mk XI Blue items... If Optionals droped XII very rare, yes there would be rage, but comon its dropping items that sell for 10000 EC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    The problem is that the STF Elite games have become the epitome of STO and you can log into any STF Elite and find some noob TRIBBLE it up. I hate to say it but the PUG Team games have become a rage and hate fest. I have played 261 STFs and most of those have been Elites. In every game, there's always at least one person messing it up because they don't understand how the Elites are played and it's become a hate-fest through the team chat window.

It's gotten so bad that experienced players have started logging into Elite PUG games just to stand safely in one spot and listen to the PUG games spout obscenities and whatnot. It's even worse than Zone Chat.

The fact that neither the devs nor the GMs monitor the situation or that they don't think that anything is worth their time anymore. You're lucky if you get anyone to address the problem. It definitely is turning into more of a problem than it's worth. STFs are supposed to be fun to participate in as a team but it's turning out to be a bigger problem that everyone on STO has been hoping that Cryptic would soon resolve.
  • karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Elite stf have a lot of arrogant, stupid, dumb, egocentric and agressive Elitist players. They can't deal with failure or know anything about teamwork. Only want to give stupid orders or want to everyone follow your own plan by telepatic powers. Is not about reading a walkthu, but how to deal with your own failure.

Elitist players are terrible. They scream, cry, offend anyone if don't play right inside you own perfect and unique style. They throw all problems of your own gaming failures to other people because they can't know how to deal with a random elite STF

Want a perfect game? Make a private one! If you have friends or at least know some good and experienced people to play.

If you join in a random elite stf in an open game, you have to learn how to deal with diferent people with different skills. And learn how to not cry because is your own choice to join in an open game.

We don't need new requeriments, we need to learn how to make a private game and call good and experienced people to play private games. If play in a random game, you are giving a bet and have do deal with the random players.
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
    edited July 2012
    Well, if the noobs would take the time and actually learn about elites by playing the normal STFs and then looking for guides online through Google searches that explain what they're about ...

I had one noob player tell me on STO chat that the only reason noobs do the Elites is to grind for expensive drops. That seems that the dumbest reason to play the Elites since you can get better drops elsewhere in the game. I've sold doffs from the repeatable Caitian assignments and received as much as 2 to 3 million for those doffs.

After doing two or three elites and not knowing it, I decided to search for information on them and learned how to play them properly. The Elite STFs require strategy to play them and the majority of players want to get the optionals as well as the Proto tech drops for the MK XII gear.

Those who say it's eliist are just noobs who do nothing but mess up the game for the rest of us. I've grown so frustrated with it that I've joined the others and just sat back and let them do all the work and then scoop up the loot bags at the end if they make it that far.
  • foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No. I queue with my 1target DPSer. I get 1.7mil on the scoreboard, i queue with my Useless AOEr i get 4mil on the final board, Or i can queue for my Low DPS debuffer who boosts everyone elses Damage by 120% BUT im lowest becuase i have no damage of my own, even tho im the reason everyone is so high dmg.

It dont really matter who is top of the scoreboard, its about what you do in the run throughy, everything you do goes towards your end score.........attacking, healing, debuffing......as long as your taking part in the run through you are gaining towards your reward.

I might even go so far as to say also forget random drops, if you get a certain score you get a token that can be used towards all the X/Xi/XII/ Omega/Maco stuff....my main point being that if you play the run through you will be rewarded......if you dont you get nothing......the way it should be.

Anything at this stage would be better than the present way its played, as people can sit and do nothing and gain the top rewards from other people efforts.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    How about this

you can run any 1 elite stf (per account) only once a week
    you quit or leave you blew it

but up the rewards so that a successful run ALWAYS gives each team member something with the MVP (most valuable player) being awarded a MK Xii purple item they don't already have

hows that for a solution

Both griefers and super elitists would lose out

everyone else gets their gear in less time with less grind and is happy
    Live long and Prosper
  • cosmicdefilercosmicdefiler Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm convinced that OP and people like them are the problem. OP stated himself that he is failing 95 percent of the elites he plays. I can't remember the last time I failed an elite period and I'm playing several everyday. Maybe its time for you to go back to normal and learn OP. In fact I only ever run into problems in Elite STFs when people come in game with a tude and spend all their time typing insults to the so called "noobs" instead of focusing on playing.

I think in reality the "elitists" that everyone runs into in these games are in denial and are actually the ones who need to go back to normal but their egos will not allow them to accept this fact.
  • macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Sad thing is its not just elites that the elitists are raging in, I've seen people in normals that completely lose it on someone that makes a mistake and that's just on the optional. The place where you learn to play and people are screaming and yelling at others who are trying to learn.

1.) If you want perfection don't pug any STFs normal or elite make your own.
    2.) If you fail the "optional", so what, you have a crapton of other stfs you can run with only an hour cooldown if you don't get it this time you'll get it another, its not the end of the world.
    3.) Yelling, screaming, and name calling makes you look like a tool, everytime and twice as much if its a normal.
    4.) If someone makes a mistake, let it go Mister Perfect McPerfecton, I'm fairly sure you've done the same or similar in the past.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|
  • makimera#4641 makimera Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Thank you!!!!

Finally someone else says it!