Install Arc
Options

Season 6 Dev Blog #17

Comments

• Options
    omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    That's that person's choice for doing so. It's a bit of a reach for anyone to call Cryptic/PWE greedy when everything can be purchased for free. Some of those methods take a long time, but if they didn't, no one would spend real money and the game would go under. I mean, no one wants to go to work, but we can't all be on welfare.

Someone has to buy Zen points and put it on the exchange. The only free Zen are the one lifers get after 2 years into the game.

So, if Zen needs to be purchase in order to be put on the exchange for the dilithium grinders to get then how is anything in the game free?

If all the people who buy Zen point stop buy or putting them on the exchange where will the Zen points come from?

I suggest everyone stop putting Zen point up for dilithium so that people see nothing in the C-Store can be obtain for free.
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • Options
    drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Beautifully crafted Klingon EV suits, simply beautiful. Thanks for the efforts for one of my favourite Sci-Fi races ever.
    Now a word to the cost for a limited use and limited to character piece of otherwise lovely art...
    NO
    NON
    NIET
    NAGE
    OHI
    PU SHI
    NEJ
    NEIN
    AHNEO
    MINIME (LATIN :D )
    NIE
    NAO

For the record, I F2P on D&D Online and pay for things regularly... when they make sense! Race/Class unlocks, Guild Ship Upgrades, Missions and even Costume options are things I want and buy. You have yet to convince me to pay for anything in this game... maybe you will but it won't be this, sorry.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• Options
    levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited July 2012
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited July 2012
    Sorry, I dont buy character only stuff, make it account unlocked and you have my money.....
  • Options
    odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Someone has to buy Zen points and put it on the exchange. The only free Zen are the one lifers get after 2 years into the game.

So, if Zen needs to be purchase in order to be put on the exchange for the dilithium grinders to get then how is anything in the game free?

If all the people who buy Zen point stop buy or putting them on the exchange where will the Zen points come from?

I suggest everyone stop putting Zen point up for dilithium so that people see nothing in the C-Store can be obtain for free.

You don't buy items on the exchange with dilithium so your entire post is without meaning. Everything in this game is free, you just have a choice to spend money. If you people think because you have a childish mentality of "I want it now" therefore I have to spend money, that's your own problem. I'm sure the price of these items would be lower if they didn't give so many ways to obtain them for free.
  • Options
    commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ...everything can be purchased for free...

There are six ways Zen can enter the system, and only one is purely free of RWD to the player, most Zen enters the game via RWD costs and transfers to other players via Time Costs (Doff System/Fleet System) and Game Time Costs (Mission Rewards etc...).

Scenario 1 - Pseudo RWD Free Route
    - Player A buys the Zen with RWD and puts it on the exchange
    - Player B buys said the Zen with Dilithium obtained from Game Time and Time, then buys the suit.
    - Item originally entered via RWD with a transfer costs of Game Time + Time.
    - Zen revenue directly attributable to STO.

Scenario 2 - Pseudo RWD Free Route
    - Player A is a Gold Subscriber for RWD and gets a monthly Zen stipend then puts the zen on the exchange.
    - Player B buys said the Zen with Dilithium obtained from Game Time and Time, then buys the suit.

Scenario 3 - Pseudo RWD Free Route
    - Player A is a Lifetime Subscriber paid for by RWD and gets a monthly Zen stipend. Player A's months in game are < LT Costs/15 months, thus has not passed the break even point. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.

Scenario 4 - Pseudo RWD Free Route
    - Player A plays the "Zen Giveaway" game and buys some of the promotions for RWD. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.
    - Zen revenue not directly attributable to STO.

Scenario 5 - Past RWD Free Route
    - Player A is a Lifetime Subscriber paid for by RWD and gets a monthly Zen stipend. Player A's months in game are > LT SubCosts/15 months, thus has passed the break even point. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.
    - Item originally entered via past RWD with a transfer costs of Game Time + Time.

Scenario 6 - True RWD Free Route
    - Player A plays the "Zen Giveaway" game only does the free promotions and surveys. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.
    - Item originally entered via Time with a transfer costs of Game Time + Time.

Scenarios 4 and 6 might be bad for Cryptic. All I can say is if you want the item and truly believe it is not worth the RWD costs, get yourself some good malware/anti-virus programs and start taking surveys.

Otherwise just don't buy it and hope PWE does not reach the false conclusion that:
    Players did not buy the item means that they did not want it and thus making future items of the same nature are not a good ROI for the company.

When in reality it is:
    Players did not buy the item because they felt the RWD costs did not provide good value to them.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    You don't buy items on the exchange with dilithium so your entire post is without meaning. Everything in this game is free, you just have a choice to spend money. If you people think because you have a childish mentality of "I want it now" therefore I have to spend money, that's your own problem. I'm sure the price of these items would be lower if they didn't give so many ways to obtain them for free.

in the dilithium exchange for Zen you do. Zen is require to get the item so how else can it be obtain for trade on the regular exchange?

the Regular exchange for energy credits someone has to buy it to put it on the exchange or are you real that nieve and think that it just magically appears there.
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    There are six ways Zen can enter the system, and only one is purely free of RWD to the player, most Zen enters the game via RWD costs and transfers to other players via Time Costs (Doff System/Fleet System) and Game Time Costs (Mission Rewards etc...).

- Player A is a Gold Subscriber for RWD and gets a monthly Zen stipend then puts the zen on the exchange.

- Player A is a Lifetime Subscriber paid for by RWD and gets a monthly Zen stipend. Player A's months in game are < LT Costs/15 months, thus has not passed the break even point. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.

- Player A plays the "Zen Giveaway" game and buys some of the promotions for RWD. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.

- Player A is a Lifetime Subscriber paid for by RWD and gets a monthly Zen stipend. Player A's months in game are > LT SubCosts/15 months, thus has passed the break even point. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.
    - Item originally entered via past RWD with a transfer costs of Game Time + Time.

- Player A plays the "Zen Giveaway" game only does the free promotions and surveys. Player A then puts the zen on the exchange.

Scenarios 4 and 6 might be bad for Cryptic. All I can say is if you want the item and truly believe it is not worth the RWD costs, get yourself some good malware/anti-virus programs and start taking surveys.

Otherwise just don't buy it and hope PWE does not reach the false conclusion that:
    Players did not buy the item means that they did not want it and thus making future items of the same nature are not a good ROI for the company.

When in reality it is:
    Players did not buy the item because they felt the RWD costs did not provide good value to them.

Thanks for pointing out how Zen points enter the game!!!!
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    in the dilithium exchange for Zen you do. Zen is require to get the item so how else can it be obtain for trade on the regular exchange?

the Regular exchange for energy credits someone has to buy it to put it on the exchange or are you real that nieve and think that it just magically appears there.

But the people that sell on either exchange are making their own choice to buy a free resource. How can you argue against my statement that you don't have to spend money by telling me that people are choosing to spend money to buy free resources? (credits/dilithium) You still have a choice, spend money instead of time or spend time instead of money. Do you put this much thought into what poor Asian kid had to put in extra overtime in his sweatshop job so you can have your BOGO sale at the local Shoe Carnival? Nothing is free to everyone, but it can be free to you.
  • Options
    tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    maziken wrote: »
    Value is in the eye of the beholder. Some may think the price is too much, some may not. But make no mistake, it is all subjective. Some here may think that me spending over $500 on a boardgame with expansions is a waste of money, however I do not.

If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. If enough people don't buy them, they'll probably drop the price after several months. But don't be naive enough to think that any amount of complaining here on the forums will cause them to instantly drop the price of an item.

As many stated before me, the market of supply and demand will dictate the price of the items.

And judging by the amount of negative comments on this and other threads about it,i'd hedge my bets on it not being in demand. ;)
  • Options
    wilsoncutter001wilsoncutter001 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tinead51 wrote: »
    And judging by the amount of negative comments on this and other threads about it,i'd hedge my bets on it not being in demand. ;)[/QUOTE

^^^^THAT!
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As I mentioned in the C-Store Announcement Thread:
    Let me get this right...

$7 US for a VR, tradeable EV suit that has just slightly better stats than some of what is available for Dil or as a Drop. Per Character, per side?

Heck FIng NOO!!!! I don't care if the Fed is styled after what's seen in ST:First Contact. That is outrageous and asinine!

If the Fed/Kling suits were bundled together and Account wide Unlocked, then yea, I could see the $7 US. Not as is. No Sale from me!

All this is doing is making me think of spending any future Zen on Services only in the near future.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    helmsmn2helmsmn2 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    From a business standpoint this is a stroke of genius. We all know that SOMEONE will buy these and put them in the exchange for an astronomical amount of EC. Why? So they can generate EC quickly to buy other items on the exchange, such as lockbox ships. This of course means more players will buy master keys because they're only 125 zen and these players will generate more EC to buy the suits, thus fueling the cycle.

The end result? Whether it's suits or keys, more sales will be occur in the store.

As for me, I shall keep my cash, thanks. I got a family to feed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Cleverly disguised as myself - Helmsmn2
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012

When in reality it is:

The free survey ZEN scenario isn't that bad because PWE gets its money. What that boils down to is that they sold a huge bulk quantity of ZEN to an advertiser. That's not EXACTLY how it works but, in effect, they give an advertiser their best rate on ZEN and the advertiser pays for it when they get ad responses. Once the advertiser pays cash for it, the player is awarded it. That's how these survey/ad options work.

Of those, the one that is the worst deal for PWE is the Lifetime past its break even point. Yes, real money exchanged hands at one point but that's the one that involves continuing to give players something without receiving any new cash for it and it could stymie new cash sales. A pre-F2P lifer is even worse because their account broke even before PWE ever saw a dime from the game. So from PWE's perspective, they've given me $40.00 and if it weren't for the fact that I've spent more than that, would be in the red with me. Because Atari was the one who got my lifetime cash. PWE has never benfited from my sub money and has to manage their economy around giving me money for a purchase of a lifetime that they never saw a dime from.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    tinead51 wrote: »
    And judging by the amount of negative comments on this and other threads about it,i'd hedge my bets on it not being in demand. ;)

You people never seem to realize that the people complaining on the forums are a small minority of the overall playerbase.
  • Options
    wilsoncutter001wilsoncutter001 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You people never seem to realize that the people complaining on the forums are a small minority of the overall playerbase.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Most.Overused.Nonsequiter.Ever.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:Most.Overused.Nonsequiter.Ever.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Um, not a non sequitur when I said it, because it followed along perfectly with what the person I was replying to was talking about. Basing the small fraction of the players complaining by how in demand the item will be is like filling a glass in the ocean and saying there's no fish in the glass, there's no fish in the ocean. The only fallacy in the argument was the statement he made. But I'll give you a point for using your fancy word. Next time come up with an argument instead of calling someone's logic into question in such a simplistic manner. What you did was the equivalent of not having anything smart to say, so you correct the person's spelling or grammar.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2012

But if such a large portion of the forum goers hate it, there's a good chance a large portion of everyone will, too.
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Right, while it's true people probably protest more easily than they shower others with praise, the fact remains that not every thread on this forum is dominated by objections to as great an an extent as this one is. If the response isn't always uniformly negative, there are things to be inferred from the instances when it is. To dismiss these instances is a mistake.

And "you people"? Seriously? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I was in the presence of greatness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    torinthitorinthi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Whoever came up with that pricing needs a slap in the face, 700 Zen for one character? seriously?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Click the signature to enter a world of wonder!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Right, while it's true people probably protest more easily than they shower others with praise, the fact remains that not every thread on this forum is dominated by objections to as great an an extent as this one is. If the response isn't always uniformly negative, there are things to be inferred from the instances when it is. To dismiss these instances is a mistake.

And "you people"? Seriously? I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I was in the presence of greatness.

"You people" was obviously referring to the people that think that the forums are represented by the majority of players, so don't try to start a fight where there isn't one. Though to be honest, the fact that I don't get off on throwing a tantrum on the forums would probably make me a better person yes. As far as the rest of your comment, I've seen items get welcomed with much more hate than this, and you see those items everywhere you look in the game. In this case, dismissing the minority opinion wouldn't be a mistake. People were complaining about the free TNG anniversary stuff, people complain just to complain. So yeah, it's gonna get ignored. If people complain when something is free, they're not really going to care when you complain about things on the c store. I've already seen a lot of these suits running around in such a short time. So many people wanted this suit, they're gonna buy it. End of story.
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've already seen a lot of these suits running around in such a short time.

And those people either have more money than sense or no respect for this game and where this game is going as a whole, and/or it's designers and developers who deserve a bit more respect than to have their designs disrespected as much as PWE have done!

The negative reaction this cosmetic suit has gained so far should say it all. The designers of said cosmetic suit deserve far more respect than those who have put the price on it deserve. Whomever decided the price and conditions of handing this piece over to us players obviously have no respect for the designers of which are going to be on the receiving end of the hard feelings! Like think about it... After all this justified negativity, who's gonna feel worse? Those who put the pricing on the suits? Or those who designed it? The designers are gonna feel the brunt of it, trust me!

Sorry for my rant but, I am totally against the high cost and the one per character condition that has been placed on this, and at the same time I seriously feel for those dev members that put a hell of a lot of work into designing it for us who wanted it. But for the designers to get that feeling of accomplishment, ya know? That real good feeling you get when folk are happy with what you've made for them? Well... the powers that be at PWE are seriously gonna have to rethink their pricing structure and do away with this "One Per Character" BS to do their design team justice! Because the designers aint gonna get that "Good Feeling of Accomplishment" after what's gone down here today! And that's unfair to them!

And on a more selfish note (Forgetting the designers/developers for a moment)... Do we as a player-base really want this to be the future of STO? Where everything new that's introduced from here on, to be "One Per Character"? I think not!

That's all I have to say really... Just think of the designers as well as yourselves people! Stand your ground on the pricing and conditions by all means! YOU as well as the Dev team deserve the support! Show PWE what we want and deserve by standing together and not partaking in this purchase until the powers that be rethink their pricing and condition structure! ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    And those people either have more money than sense or no respect for this game and where this game is going as a whole, and/or it's designers and developers who deserve a bit more respect than to have their designs disrespected as much as PWE have done!

The negative reaction this cosmetic suit has gained so far should say it all. The designers of said cosmetic suit deserve far more respect than those who have put the price on it deserve. Whomever decided the price and conditions of handing this piece over to us players obviously have no respect for the designers of which are going to be on the receiving end of the hard feelings! Like think about it... After all this justified negativity, who's gonna feel worse? Those who put the pricing on the suits? Or those who designed it? The designers are gonna feel the brunt of it, trust me!

Sorry for my rant but, I am totally against the high cost and the one per character condition that has been placed on this, and at the same time I seriously feel for those dev members that put a hell of a lot of work into designing it for us who wanted it. But for the designers to get that feeling of accomplishment, ya know? That real good feeling you get when folk are happy with what you've made for them? Well... the powers that be at PWE are seriously gonna have to rethink their pricing structure and do away with this "One Per Character" BS to do their design team justice! Because the designers aint gonna get that "Good Feeling of Accomplishment" after what's gone down here today! And that's unfair to them!

And on a more selfish note (Forgetting the designers/developers for a moment)... Do we as a player-base really want this to be the future of STO? Where everything new that's introduced from here on, to be "One Per Character"? I think not!

That's all I have to say really... Just think of the designers as well as yourselves people! Stand your ground on the pricing and conditions by all means! YOU as well as the Dev team deserve the support! Show PWE what we want and deserve by standing together! ;)

Again 99% of this game is completely free no matter how you look at it, and there are ways to buy the other 1% without using real money. Here's the options, either they'll have to start charging for more items/content at a lower price each, or sell a few items for higher prices. Both options will get the same amount of complaints. Difference with option one, you'll have to stop and purchase more often, and it'll more likely include things that you really want and really matter in the game. Right now, it's just a piece of armor. You don't need it, it's not really going to enhance anything. Plus, you can buy it on the exchange. Hell there was one for 6 million earlier. It's easy to make 6 million credits. Prices on these things are high cuz there's so many ways to get them for free. I don't see anyone complaining about the ways to get anything free, or wanting to pay for more things to keep the costs down. No matter what happens, the same number of people will be unhappy. So there's nothing to be done.
  • Options
    rsantixrsantix Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I dont want to parrot back everything odyssey47 already said and Im much to tired for this discussion, but I just wanted to show my agreement with his statements.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I, on the other hand, disagree with odyssey47.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    Correction: PWE doesn't value or respect it's customer base. Cryptic does, but has to follow their orders, and thus appear to have that mentality, but it's laughably absurd that you could think Cryptic is like that.

And before anyone responds to this, keep in mind that I've been with STO since Open Beta, and I still support Cryptic (And you all know that's saying something). Not PWE though.

That is all ;)

Except that as a fully owned company Cryptic is now PWE. I'm sorry but the old Cryptic is gone completely. They can't even extricate themselves from PWE at this point, they're their R&D branch you know ;)..... R&D into how to sell to western markets. The constant pushing Cryptic does in regards to value per dollar is really based around providing metrics for PWE to see how far westeners will accept certain kinds of sale methods. Expect for Cryptic to constantly push what we might consider acceptable to see if they can sell it and how many were sold, so they can report that back to PWE.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Except that as a fully owned company Cryptic is now PWE. I'm sorry but the old Cryptic is gone completely. They can't even extricate themselves from PWE at this point, they're their R&D branch you know ;)..... R&D into how to sell to western markets. The constant pushing Cryptic does in regards to value per dollar is really based around providing metrics for PWE to see how far westeners will accept certain kinds of sale methods. Expect for Cryptic to constantly push what we might consider acceptable to see if they can sell it and how many were sold, so they can report that back to PWE.
    I think I've head this before, and I have to say, I agree with what you're saying.

Methinks tonight's conference call went/will go like this:
    Cryptic: 報告PWE同志! STO玩家們不接受你們為 Federation 跟 KDF Combat Environmental Suit 所定的 700 Zen 價格!
    (Comrade PWE! STO players refuse to pay 700 Zen for the Federation and KDF Combat Environmental Suits!)

PWE: Cryptic小子, 你有沒有搞錯? 我們在亞洲市場都怎麼做這麼久了, 西方人怎麼那麼難搞?
    (Cryptic, are you nuts? We've been in the Asian market for so long, how hard can it be to sell this to Westerners?)

Cryptic: 可是PWE同志,西方市場不一樣啊... 尤其是 Star Trek 的愛好者, 很重視 canon - 他們要這些太空衣不只在單獨的 character 上使用,也要全 account-wide 的使用, 規格也要比 Nukara Prime 星球上玩的過程得到的普通 EVA suit 更好, 甚至要能給他們所有的 away team 隊員各一套. 更重要的是, 他們寧願只花 300-400 Zen...
    (But Comrade PWE, the Western market is different...especially Star Trek fans, they hold canon in high regard, they not only want account-wide instead of character unlock, but also better specs than the suits they get on Nukara Prime, and some even want to outfit their whole away team with them, all for 300-400 Zen...)

PWE: 絕對不行! 你們是來改變他們的思想模式, 要他們花更多錢! 這是我們的股東的要求! Star Trek canon 個屁!
    (Out of the question! You're here to change their purchasing habits, make them spend more! Our investors and shareholders demand it! Star Trek canon our asses!)

Cryptic: ...可是...
    (...but...)

PWE: 錢拿了再說!
    (Take their money first, ask questions later!)

For the first time in my life, I actually genuinely feel sorry for Cryptic...
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    does anyone know what happened to the ranks and com badges and why they dont work anymore ???
  • Options
    switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    derrico1 wrote: »
    does anyone know what happened to the ranks and com badges and why they dont work anymore ???

You will soon have to buy each one for 700 zen per character?
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i hope you are kidding i didnt pay 300 at start just to have to pay for things i paid for since start all over again whay the ---- is going on with this game ???? :::mad: