test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Future Z/C-store ships to be PER character ONLY?

levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
edited August 2012 in C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
No more buying a oddy and having all you characters have access to one!!

Just kidding - or am I - considering the new EVA suit for 700 Zen Per toon! Its the future Baby!
Post edited by levi3 on

Comments

• sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd be shocked if they didn't go back and make all other account wide unlocks, character only as well.
  • zodiemishzodiemish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    levi3 wrote: »

Just kidding - or am I - considering the new EVA suit for 700 Zen Per toon! Its the future Baby!

Honestly. If that is the next thing that happens. I am not surprised. It is already happening with Fleet ships. drop 20 dollars to get a retrofit, but if you need another one you're going to have to drop another 20 dollars. It looks like this is the future to me.

But that is okay. I have the ships that I want right now, I am happy with free ships, and I have other places that I can spend the money instead of STO.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2012
    I thought that's what was happening anyway haha....seriously. We just need to sit and wait.

Wonder how much longer until Cryptic accepts that people aren't liking how STO has been handled the past few months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • mavgeekrsamavgeekrsa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Breath, take a deep breath.

Ok, now that you are calmer, listen.

You have to learn to accept STO for what it is, and what it will be as time passes. We knew certain restrictions may eventually happen with C-Store items after PWE bought Cryptic.

You have to learn to accept it, and move on.

Seriously, there is no amount of forum debating, tweeting or anything that will force a policy change if this is indeed the case for future ships. You simply have to, pun not intended, adapt.

Once you realize there are going to be business decisions you do not agree with, and simply play the game working around those problems, you'll have more fun and it's less stressful. You can still vent and debate about them all you want but acceptance will help. Since the forums are changed, I can't tell how long you've played amongst us (I'm sorry I do not recognize the name either) so this may or may not be new to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    redshirtarmy.com - RedShirtArmy Podcast
    STO / Cryptic member since 2009 (mavgeek)
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just got a message from them thanking me for the great idea - sorry :(
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited July 2012
    Hence why cryptic/pwe only want you to have one character. It must be because everything is being geared towards that ideal...
    I only really play 2 characters, I have more for the sole purpose of grinding dilithium and doffs, but that is it. I see no reason to ever play another toon through the may grinds that exist now, it just makes zero sense.
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd be shocked if they didn't go back and make all other account wide unlocks, character only as well.

You should be getting a thank you message from them soon to - they really love the idea of retro-actively going back and locking out all but 1 ship - and making you buy back the ship you were just using on your alt - great suggestion::eek:
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, in reality, who buys a ship for ALL there characters? If you have a Klingon, you can't fly the Oddy anyways. You have tune each ship to the character. Some ships do not mesh well with different play styles or toons. An MVAE would work well for a tactical officer, but my sci toon would miss all the science boff slots my LRSV-retro has.

And again, money wise, it makes sense for them to make more money off us. More money=More game. So everyone wins.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • trhrangerxmltrhrangerxml Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Fleet ships maybe a test run for per character ship unlocks. If it is they will be disappointed in me, but not the person I bought the FSM from the exchange from. FSM should of been Dili, that way people could grind in game for it, same with Fleet SB, it may be using all in game grind materials, but you can buy a lot of it with ZEN (DOFFs and Dili).
    Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again? :D
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't think they are stupid enough to do that... At least not for the ones who already have account wide unlocks.

In the future... Of cause... That's what makes their little greedy hearts pump... Sorry... Not Hearts... Wallets.

It's pretty obvious that all that held these changes back in the first place back in the days was Atari... They may have been sloppy, but at least their greed had limits.
    Cryptic was waiting for this
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • captainmerzancaptainmerzan Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    Well, in reality, who buys a ship for ALL there characters? If you have a Klingon, you can't fly the Oddy anyways. You have tune each ship to the character. Some ships do not mesh well with different play styles or toons. An MVAE would work well for a tactical officer, but my sci toon would miss all the science boff slots my LRSV-retro has.

And again, money wise, it makes sense for them to make more money off us. More money=More game. So everyone wins.

In reality most people do with in the same faction, first you must realise when people say account wide they mean for the faction as in all fed characters or all there klingon characters , there not talking about cross faction items, secondly a majority of players fly different types of ships on same character, we use same costume peaces on same character and so on, the masses like haveing the stuff they buy to be able to use on all there characters of that faction
  • ikenstein1ikenstein1 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Now you see the flaw in the free to play model. All development goes to the cash shop. Actually playing the game becomes pointless.
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    I don't think they are stupid enough to do that... At least not for the ones who already have account wide unlocks.

In the future... Of cause... That's what makes their little greedy hearts pump... Sorry... Not Hearts... Wallets.

It's pretty obvious that all that held these changes back in the first place back in the days was Atari... They may have been sloppy, but at least their greed had limits.
    Cryptic was waiting for this

no but what they will do , which they have allread done is change the items from now one that are purchased per character and not account wide which they have allready done on a few things in the past.
    edited July 2012
    no but what they will do , which they have allread done is change the items from now one that are purchased per character and not account wide which they have allready done on a few things in the past.

Name them... To my knowlege the items that used to be account-wide unlocks have remained so for thoose who have purchased them.

Yes... anyone who buys a new version of said items get pr-char, but that dosen't change that thoose who originally got account-wide items, still has them.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    edited July 2012
    ikenstein1 wrote: »
    Now you see the flaw in the free to play model. All development goes to the cash shop. Actually playing the game becomes pointless.

Yeap this is the very bad part of free to play , and which will force player such as myself to switch to free to play if we dont get some bang for our bucks soon, i am going to stay gold till the 1000 day vet reward then will prob switch to free to play if they dont do something to make it worth while for me to pay every month, Cause if most things go to per character my $15.00 a month fee will buy alot of zen every month.
    edited July 2012
    anazonda wrote: »
    Name them... To my knowlege the items that used to be account-wide unlocks have remained so for thoose who have purchased them.

Yes... anyone who buys a new version of said items get pr-char, but that dosen't change that thoose who originally got account-wide items, still has them.

you missunder stood what i am saying yes if you had allready purchased it it stayed account wide but the same item bought by some one else now is per character, i can remember for the life of me whic it was , but it happened back about the time they went f2p, P.S. im old can remember like i use to lol
    edited July 2012
    you missunder stood what i am saying yes if you had allready purchased it it stayed account wide but the same item bought by some one else now is per character, i can remember for the life of me whic it was , but it happened back about the time they went f2p, P.S. im old can remember like i use to lol

Then we agree... And TBH, I am fine with it... Why? Because I have the items, and what happens to others is not really anything of my concern...

Each and every time they release a pr-char unlock, it means they release something I won't be buying...
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Other games function successfully in selling things per character. Why can't STO?

Anyway, I hope the mods correct your topic title. You've decided to worry people unnecessarily in how you worded it.
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Yes, but those same items are cheaper now, and can be gifted to friends, or sold on the exchange for credits, unlike the account wide versions.

I don't believe future C-Store ships will be per character. They may try to find other ways around it, like with the current fleet modules, but actual ships that go in the C-Store? No.
  • dunnlangdunnlang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So the suit is effectively consumable and Unique. You can claim it once, not even for all of your BOffs, or if you delete it.

New content requires you to have some form of EV suit. The best EV suit (in game stat armor) is only available for $7 per single suit.

The question should not be will new ships be per character unlocks, but what new content will be developed that requires a special item from the C-Store to access?
    [SIGPIC]Want to know more about Cryptic's hidden lottery odds and outcomes? Read my posts below.[/SIGPIC]
    Lock Boxes: The true value - (thread link)
    Jem'Hadar Bug Odds - (thread link)
    Galor Creation Rate - (thread link)
    Find me in TSW - TSW Chronicle Profile
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm pretty sure this was an issue once before just after season 5. There was outrage. That was arround the same time as the "Last chance sale"'.

At that point Items like the tribble of borg were account wide. most of us have these items under legacy unlocks now.

It would not surprise me if they were to change it again and make the ships per character in requisition packs and then move all of our ships to the legacy tab again.

I believe these fleet ships are their way around the controversy while still obtaining the high ship cost per character.
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Actually I suspect that while we'll see more of the Odyssey bundle-style ship releases in the future that ships at the least will remain account wide unlocks. Why? Because it's been outright stated that the special powers/consoles will only be available on the C-Store ship while the Fleet ships will be the ones with extra consoles and buffed shields and hull HP. In other words, they'll want you to have access to the C-Store ships on all your characters so you'll be more likely to spend for the Fleet ships. Lending further weight to this assumption is the discount on the number of Fleet Modules required for purchase of a Fleet ship if you already have the C-Store variant. If you have to pay the full $20 for each Fleet ship you're unlikely to buy more than one per character, but if you only have to pay $5 you might be a little more liberal and buy two or three. And if you have multiple characters...well you might decide you want to outfit them as well.

And then there's the smaller crowd of people that'll have multiple accounts look at a particular fleet ship they want on more than one and then look at the C-Store ship and decide that it's worth it to buy the C-Store ship instead of the full-price of the Fleet ship several times over.

Could I be wrong? Yes. But it's just as likely I'm right as the OP is. It all depends on who's making the decisions and who he or she is listening to. I will say this though - Ships make up the bulk of the cash I've spent on STO BECAUSE they are account unlocks. If the move to make them per character unlocks I'm with a number of others in that I won't buy. I'll just stick to the ships I already have.

Edit:

I actually had a thought about something they could do with account wide unlocks that would be somewhat dickish but also has the potential to net them some serious cash if it worked - if you're curious pm me about it.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If this happens, I don't know what I'll do man, I have a lifetime to the game, but I'll probably not make another purchase ever in the c-store if they restrict things like ships to per character. I'm not made of money, and i wouldn't want to give my hard earned money to Cryptic for a stupid decision like that. They don't deserve it my money.
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I believe that Cryptic has stated (Can't find to post atm) that C-Store ships will remain account wide unlocks, whilst ships like fleet ships or lockbox ships will be per character unlock.

If they should do the opposite, and make you buy a C-Store ship several times if you have many toons, well, that will be a very unpopular move, and i believe, very unwise.

They allready have more than enough bad press from the entire lockbox debacle, and would likely get even more from making C-Store ships per character unlocks, instead of account wide unlocks...
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes, I believe they did state that the ships would remain account-wide. Of course, the Fleet ships require C-Store components and are per-character, so take that as you will.

Personally, I only have two characters that I play as. They both use completely different ship and weapon configurations. So per-character ships would not have an impact on me. Still, I know a lot of other players use more characters than I do and many tend to stick with preferred outfits. For their benefit, I hope that the ships stay account-wide.
  • theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If this happens, I don't know what I'll do man, I have a lifetime to the game, but I'll probably not make another purchase ever in the c-store if they restrict things like ships to per character. I'm not made of money, and i wouldn't want to give my hard earned money to Cryptic for a stupid decision like that. They don't deserve it my money.

I hear ya. I'm a single guy who works part-time and has student loans to pay, and while I have no problem forking over cash for shiny new content...I feel VASTLY better about and am MUCH more likely to pay for account-wide content. With three Starfleet toons at lvl 50 and one KDF at lvl 50, it would simply be prohibitive to have to buy costumes and ships for all of them. I probably wouldn't buy certain items at all in the first place.

Still, I think it's good to have threads like this, as a preventative measure. What is sad about Season 6 is, as my best friend and fellow STO-lifer told me, players no longer trust Cryptic and the developers anymore. The PWE takeover may have brought many good things, but with Season 6 they are showing their Chinese-"F2P"-ripoff roots. I've seen too many good games ruined by money grabs like this and I will be incensed if my current favorite hobby gets destroyed by the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    levi3 wrote: »

you might just be right about that considering since they changed their store to Zen, many of us including me, have lost access to ships on all of our toons so I'm thinking this is in the works perhaps. If so they won't get another dime from me for anything. I'm lifetime and they still haven't opened access to a ship they discovered i should have access to (one out of three) and it's been over a week. If this is their customer support for lifers i can't imagine what it is for F2P.
  • degalusmedivandegalusmedivan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yea i think this is the way what cryptic drives now. Maybe PW kill the driver cryptic and only let his body on the seat that it looks like he drive the car.

I dont think they make c store ship charunlocks. But i think they make more fleetships and lobiships.
    I read so many players how dont want to spend any cent any more. I will spend my money but only for accountwide content soooo i think i dont need to buy anything in the near future.

I have some good upcoming games so i let my Lifetime farming some time and buy me later some stuff for free. Thats the Lifetimerway
  • tervoldchantervoldchan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yes Yes it's future. We will have character unlock items, ships, spices, ......

When we look at z-store on Champion Online we will see there is cheaper items and more for gold.

Champion is older game so tehz can't chamge it so quick but in future it will be same as STO. More cost and no good game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ikenstein1ikenstein1 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Not if fewer people buy it.