test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Dev Blog #17

Comments

• amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nope. Not happening... I'll buy these for EC on the exchange... but I will not pay you 7 bucks for a character unlocked EV suit... no more than I would pay you 7 bucks for a weapons array... just no... no.... no.........
    7NGGeUP.png

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Let me toss this idea out there if Cryptic is heckbent on this:

Have the C-Store item be a suit bundle. When opened, it releases suits that become character bound.

Cram 5 suits into the bundle.

This at least makes it seem like a better value.

It would remain a once per character unlock this way. It would allow people to have suits for their away team... which is useless except for the Friday the 13th mission and maybe part of "What Lies Beneath" and Foundry missions if they ever let Foundry authors create toxic damage sources.

So it wouldn't negatively impact number of sales realistically because the extra 4 suits aren't really practical to have since most EV suit content is solo. But it might INCREASE the number of sales since people might want 5 suits for fashion purposes with their Bridge Officer away teams. And 5 suits sounds like a better value than 1.

Seriously, instead of selling 1 suit for 700 ZEN, sell an unbound box that contains 5 bind on pickup suits. It just registers better. It's still not what I'd want and I'm not sure if I'd buy it but it shows more marketing sense.

I could buy this a lot easier if it came with a costume accessed via dropdown like the MACO/Omega Force/Honor Guard sets. That would be pricey but at least have some roleplay value without having to equip a suit.
  • muncheemunchee Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Boycott this. I hope no one buys this, and it forces PWE and Cryptic to re-evaluate the nickel and diming they're doing to their "valued" customers.

I Agree This MMO is starting to feel like a used car that is Nickle and Diming ya to the Poor House Think its about time to gety a new Car:eek:
  • sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I mean what are you people expecting here?

Seriously.

Did someone really sit down and say "You know 700 is a good price, our players are chumps anyway"

'Cause that's kinda the feeling I'm getting here. Let's look at your other prices.

Tribbles- 300 zen.

Bridge officers- 500 zen

Melee Weapon Pack- 300 Zen

All per a character

Heck we even have account wide species unlocks for 600 Zen.

Other appearance packs are in the 550 range, and also account wide unlocks.

In what universe does a pricing of 700 Zen for something that is a character only unlock, not unlike the Melee Weapons Pack really, make sense?

How do you justify this number? New visuals are great, but with this price why would it not be an account wide unlock?

The only thing I can come up with is that somebody in marketing thinks were chumps.
  • thibashthibash Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There's only one word for the level of intelligence of the person who set the price, but I'm afraid I cannot write it because I'm pretty sure it's against the forum rules. I'll pass on this suit, thanks.
  • josephkerrjosephkerr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There are myriad reasons why I have not given Cryptic a penny since the release of the Rhode Island, this adds to them.

Rather than offer a tempting product for good value, you've put forth what is essentially a costume unlock for a much higher price with far fewer options, per character. Maybe at half the price for an account wide unlock, maybe if this were 50Z per character (and provided you even made the slightest effort to address many other issues) I might be tempted to spend but this just reaffirms my stance. Expect me to continue using DL and the exchange.

Yet again Cryptic, I'm laughing at you, not with you.
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    To use a Big Bang Theory quote about buying one with actual cash

"What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis?"

for 1 items which is of very limited use, 700 is way to much as others have said, dont see many being bought
  • ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nope. Not happening... I'll buy these for EC on the exchange... but I will not pay you 7 bucks for a character unlocked EV suit... no more than I would pay you 7 bucks for a weapons array... just no... no.... no.........

You're still supporting the sheisty behavior, dude. SOMEONE purchased the item, and put it up in exchange. If you buy it for ECs, you might as well have spent 7 dollars on it, and Cryptic and PWE will just keep doing this to us over and over again.

I love it when people say they're not going to support being ripped off, and then do it anyway.

"RABBLERABBLERIPOFFRABBLERABBLE SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    podsix wrote: »
    I agree with the crowd here. Change this to Per Account, and you'll sell me one of each. Per Character, I won't buy one.. not even with spare stipend-zen from my LTS.

See, this makes sense. You gave us the account bank for a reason beyond more storage. The whole point is so that when the player / person behind a character gets cool stuff, they can use it for themselves on any character. I would say that this qualifies as something that should use the account bank. I just don't get why things like this (or anything really) aren't account bound yet.
  • ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Reposting my reply on that blog entry:

"Few words: useless and overpriced..."
    izNBNFT.jpg
  • ferdzso0ferdzso0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Reposting my reply on that blog entry:

"Few words: useless and overpriced..."

reposting my answer: "atleast now the KDF gets something that is sweeter than FED... apart from that useless and overpriced :)"

edit: oh, btw Cryptic, congrats on another brilliant and customer satisfying move

10k DPS Vesta threads: 1; 2
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    700 points for a per-character, non-replaceable item? I don't think so.

Whover came up with that idea needs to check their meds, somethings off.

That's money of mine you wont be getting Cryptic.
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I also think this one is way overpriced and the result of that will be wasteful. But realize everyone, the Devs are not the ones that set the pricing, that is marketing.

For what the devs have dominion over, I think the artwork is great on the suit they look well done. The stats could use some boosting for the costs.

Now to marketing, setting the price bar at $7 per character will likely yield you fewer sales if it was $7 account-wide or $2.50 per character. You have gone past the price point and all that will do is the following:
    • Fewer people buy the item than anticipated = less profit
    • The item will not see wide circulation and dev costs will not reach the widest possible audience
    • A false conclusion will be made that - Players don't want additional costume unlocks so creating those are not cost effective.
  • rrincyrrincy Member Posts: 1,023
    edited July 2012
    while i usually have no qualms about paying for stuff , hell its what keeps the game going

this is a bit much :rolleyes: while yes , its a nice idea to make them tradeable and able to be sold, unfortunately its at such a price that noone will want to

drop that , make it account bound , make it scaleable and bundle it with a scaling first contact rifle.

THEN you have a winner :)
    12th Fleet
    Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
    U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    After injecting so much time and resources (purchased zen/c-points) into this game, I have decided to not even attempt to play "Neverwinter". Regardless about what Perfect World has to offer, the time, effort, and money put into grinding and micro-transactions is too costly. "Star Trek: Online's" core elements are beautiful, but the mental stamina and economical costs they require are too steep.

"Star Trek: Online" is my first ever MMO, and it has convinced me to go back to single-player and offline games.

I will stick around to exhaust my interests, but then I will be throwing in the towel.
  • zalandexzalandex Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They are really nice looking and beautifully recreated.
    I'd love to have one on my main.

But... not for that price and setup.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Nice job. I don't need it but it looks nice. :)
    +1
    Looks awesome, I especially like that it breaks the tholian ground set bonus.

NICE, I LOVE IT !!!
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jaxjaguars wrote: »
    I hope no one buys it. Maybe the price will go lower after they see Total First Day sales of $21.
    Ha. Keep dreaming. That'll be the first 20 seconds. ;)
    I can think of at least half a dozen fleeties that will have this in the first week. Even if they have to grind dil to do it.
    Folks are MAD HUNGRY for KDF costumes. :mad::P

These prices aren't pulled out of a hat. They know perfectly-world-well what sells, what people clamour for (licensed skins), and what users in other MMOs are paying for their cosmetic gear. ($5-$50)

We all got the TNG Worf stuff for free. This is the other side of the coin. Take it or don't.
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • thejudge573thejudge573 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    broodwyn wrote: »
    Reaction Gif

Really?
    So in order for us to wear the same thing our NPCs beam down with we have to pay 700 zen for an item that's per character which makes the 3 set bonus of your newly added Tholian ground set null and void?

These should have been the skins for the suit in the first place!, not those ugly janitor closet boiler suits we we lumped with,

I'm sorry but am I the only one who feels this is incredibly stupid, having to pay for something that would naturally come with a starship,
    Lets just hope PWE never starts selling cruises, Ships sinking!
    "Oh Lifeboat, Dat cost extra"
    "LifeJacket? dat cost more extra"
    "Ohh Rescue?, Yeah dat cost extra"

Yeah when I saw npcs beam down with them I was like oh cool I hope we get those, then I see the post and was like wow really 700 zen per character.
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    700 is a bit steep for per toon.

How about this, for 700 Z-Points each toon currently rolled on the account has the option to unlock the EV suit one time. If the suit is deleted or sold off any character you need to re-purchase it for that toon. Alts rolled after initial purchase have to purchase the EV Suit separately. The account wide unlock only applies to the first purchase of the suit.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    Just buy it from the exchange!
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    environment suits

kewl

more per character unlocks

not kewl

we all collectively hate per character unlocks. especially when they cost as much as other things that are account unlocks. we are used to paying only so much for something at an account level, i think you will be finding a lot of people saying no thanks to your future expensive releases like this, that are ONLY per character. account unlock always sounds like a sweet deal, per character unlock feels like being exploited.
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ::: Prediction :::
    Expensive single character unlocks, both in grinding and zen, will break this game.
  • thejudge573thejudge573 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Drop the price, make it a random reward item, make it account wide or add more stuff with it to make it a viable purchase. Right now I don't find it worth spending 700 zen while I am happy that these suits are being added granted these suits should of been added in the first place when the ds9 series launched. You guys seriously need to reevaluate your marketing strategy and pricing cause this is ridiculous.

When it comes to canon stuff it shouldn't be a c store item, this feels like Star Wars galaxies all over again when soe added loot that should of been in the game available to begin with makes them random loot cards in that god awful trading card game they had, thanks but no thanks.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    WOW just WOW.

You know, I want you guys to make the money you need to keep the content (Romulans) coming.

But I can't help but feel a little gouged with this latest offering.

Please consider making this account-wide and you've got my money.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    To Matt:
    Those suits look fantastic in the blog pics. I wish I could click the pics to expand and see in a higher resolution, but it seems you did a great job on the artwork!

To System Devs Who Determined the Stats:
    1) Considering real world cash is expected to purchase these, I would recommend you make them similar to the Tier+1 Ships and add a little P2W to these, as the in-game Tholian suits have better stats. Also, it would be great if these had a "set bonus" and/or unlocked an unhelmeted costume version.

2) Can someone please explain these duplicate stats (are they typos, do they stack, or ?)??:

Environmental Protection
    Reaction Thrusters
    +30.5 Physical Damage Resistance
    +30.5 Kinetic Damage Resistance
    +5% Energy Damage
    +5.1 Energy Damage Resistance
    +15.2 Radiation Damage Resistance
    +30.5 Energy Damage Resistance
    +30.5 Radiation Damage Resistance
    +30.5 Toxic Damage Resistance
    +15.2 Fire Damage Resistance
    +15.2 Cold Resistance

To The Money Folks Who Set the Price/Per Character "Feature":
    The suits are overpriced at 700 Zen for a per character unlock. When I first saw these great looking new suits I was jazzed and prepared to jump in and pay $14 to unlock them on my account (for both Fed/KDF), but then realized they don't work that way. I have 20ish characters. There's no way I'm paying $140 to outfit them with substandard, non-customizable, per character items that can't be reclaimed if I lose them (not to mention the added expense if I wanted them on BOffs too). You would have had $14 from me, but your greed will instead earn you nothing out of my wallet.

The price, in a word: Fail.

I will not be buying these suits. More's the pity. :(
    This is basically PWE selling art at a cost that fleeces the star trek fanbase. No one who buys items based on quality of equipment is going to buy this, which means gamers aren't the target audience for this overpriced art - star trek fans are...
    Good point. It's terribly sad, too. We're playing a Star Trek game, but our Star Trek Federation (and KDF) toons are stuck in old (free) alien space suits and can't wear "canon" space suits unless we shell out the big bucks. It's a damn shame.

:mad:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    hrci2907 wrote: »
    Just buy it from the exchange!

You are totally missing the point here. If these see ANY business, it's going to justify PWE and Cryptic to just keep the gouging going. Whether you buy it in the exchange or on the zstore, it's still support.
  • sjclark1981sjclark1981 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What are you totally crazy PWE! boycott this farce of a purchase, ENCOURAGING other fans to spend that kinda money will start the even bigger ball to roll and next it will be 1200zen for flipping boots that magically stick you on the ceiling..

rethink ur choice their bud... anybody who purchases this is just bonkers and really need to have their head checked. if it appears in the c-store i pity the chump who started PWE's crazy train of upcoming prices on "lack of content" and shiny toys.
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    7 bucks for a single EV suit with lower stats than the Tholian set? Pfft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • macfellymacfelly Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    First off awesome looking suits too bad they're too expensive for a one character unlock. Its got to adjust one way or the other 700 and account wide or way cheaper and single character.
    Apparently not loyal enough :|