test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lockbox Ships

cloudinfinitycloudinfinity Member Posts: 59 Arc User
Is the chance of getting a ship from a lockbox linked to accounts? For example, one in every 50 accounts is chosen as 'lucky'?

It seems that the same people always get a ship with each new arrival in game. Those are some very strange 'rare chances' of getting a ship. I mean, I've heard of people in real life winning a lottery... but winning it 9 times? Last week, seeing a user get an orb weaver 9 times in the span of 10 minutes after i just opened 30 boxes myself and got nothing made me wonder if there's something wrong about how winners are chosen. What's even more shocking, is that its always the same people winning stuff. Take my fleet for example, there are 3 individuals who I can always count on to get a ship from a drop, and so far they're all 5 for 5. I think I'm just going to give one of them 10 keys and see what happens.

For the sake of fairness to everyone who tries, shouldn't the drop system be re-examined? No doubt the people getting 3-6 ships in a day won't complain, but how about the rest of us who see the same names keep popping up month after month with new ship awards attached to their names?

Just throwing that out there... thoughts?
Post edited by cloudinfinity on

Comments

• Options
    ozewaozewa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Is the chance of getting a ship from a lockbox linked to accounts? For example, one in every 50 accounts is chosen as 'lucky'?

It seems that the same people always get a ship with each new arrival in game. Those are some very strange 'rare chances' of getting a ship. I mean, I've heard of people in real life winning a lottery... but winning it 9 times? Last week, seeing a user get an orb weaver 9 times in the span of 10 minutes after i just opened 30 boxes myself and got nothing made me wonder if there's something wrong about how winners are chosen. What's even more shocking, is that its always the same people winning stuff. Take my fleet for example, there are 3 individuals who I can always count on to get a ship from a drop, and so far they're all 5 for 5. I think I'm just going to give one of them 10 keys and see what happens.

For the sake of fairness to everyone who tries, shouldn't the drop system be re-examined? No doubt the people getting 3-6 ships in a day won't complain, but how about the rest of us who see the same names keep popping up month after month with new ship awards attached to their names?

Just throwing that out there... thoughts?

The same people get the new ships because they have the money to throw at it.

As much as I want a recluse carrier, I can't really afford to spend 200$ on keys in order to open boxes to get enough lobi crystals to get it.
    President of the Amnian Illithid Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). Please spread the word that the term "Mind Flayer" is a derogatory term to our kind.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My guess: There are some "bait" accounts run by Cryptic in order to not let you forget there are ships to win. Unless somebody spent hundreds of $ for keys I don't see how this is possible.

A member of our fleet once sent a message to one of those lucky guys. He got an automated reply that he was ALREADY on the ignore list.
  • Options
    thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    szim wrote: »
    My guess: There are some "bait" accounts run by Cryptic in order to not let you forget there are ships to win. Unless somebody spent hundreds of $ for keys I don't see how this is possible.

It's not hard making a million EC per day (or even 10 times that). Raise EC Cap if you have it, und you get your new shiny ship in 3 months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

A member of our fleet once sent a message to one of those lucky guys. He got an automated reply that he was ALREADY on the ignore list.

You get that response when a player has tells turned off. It's been pointed out to the devs a number of times that it's the wrong error return but well we still get it.

I have tells turned off and I get a lot of crud for it because of that error. I play a female in a WoK skirt and have previously had a number of well distasteful comments sent my way so I had to turn them off.

And staff has said a number of times that those folks are real players. Just saying....
  • Options
    cloudinfinitycloudinfinity Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ozewa wrote: »
    The same people get the new ships because they have the money to throw at it.

As much as I want a recluse carrier, I can't really afford to spend 200$ on keys in order to open boxes to get enough lobi crystals to get it.

I don't think how much money you spend on keys even has anything to do with it. The one guy in my fleet that I know of only spends about $20 on keys each even and always gets a minimum of 2 ships from it. I'm honestly convinced that some accounts how some sort of secret 'winner' button clicked and they're just destined to get a ship each time. I mean, it's all coding in the game... there is no such thing as real random chance in software, it all has to be programmed.
  • Options
    dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    there is no such thing as real random chance in software, it all has to be programmed.
    Its not hard to program a random number generation system. All you do is set it to pick a random number between (for example) 1 and 300. Get numbers 1-150, get a common item. 151-250, uncommon item. 251-275 rare, 276-299 very rare, 300 is the ship.

If you get a non-ship roll, it rolls again, and this time each possible number is assigned to an item of the relevant rarity. If there are 17 common items, it picks any number from 1-17, and the object allocated to it is what you get.

Whether there's some LUA scripting along the lines of "has previously received lockbox ship = true" which causes modifiers is for the conspiracy theorists to discuss :P
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

They are real people, but I assume they found a way ignore any tell. I won't blame them for that. Stop bothering them with scam attempts, I have a friend who got annoyed for an houror so by scammers. And annoyed is a real euphemism. He had to log off not to get mad.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That's probably not quite how they work. And that's probably why you see strings of winners. Cause they probably have RNG's where there are a limited number of uses. Like in progressive slots with banks and banks of machines.

In those set ups, each machine starts eating away at the pool of possible outcomes. Its very unlikely that the rarest outcomes will happen first, but as the most likely outcomes get used up that changes. It becomes more and more likely the more spins of the machine that a jackpot is hit. Sure it is possible that it would be the last spin, but it isn't likely.

Experienced slot players won't go near a progressive that has just hit. They know roughly how many hours of play, or what prize level, it becomes more likely to hit so they wait for that time to start playing. No really, check it out.

So if the RNG also has multiple jackpot outcomes it becomes more likely that there will be a bunch of them at once. Because the more experienced players will wait for the one lone announcement to zip across the screen before they start a flurry of box opening. And there you have a string of ships. Because the odds on an RNG aren't constant across the life of the RNG.