test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

=/\= Episode Replay Daily =/\=

th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
The idea is simple: once you reach max level you unlock a new daily to replay one of the previous episodes that you have completed. It could be called "Performance Review" and take place in the holodeck area at Starfleet Academy(and any of the many doors at the Klingon Academy which they could call a "holochamber"). The "storyline" of the daily would be to review your performance on a previous mission and see if you can improve.

IMO the kind of "meat" that the storyline episode missions offer is what is missing from the current dailies. You have lots of little short missions that are basically the same thing every day, but this would give you something to do to earn some dillithium with a little more depth. And if you played a different one each day it would add quite a bit of variety to the current dailies.

/discuss

The.Grand.Nagus
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by th3gr4ndnagu5 on

Comments

• kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like this idea, modified slightly:

Daily replay in my Starbase's HD for 10 Fleet Marks.

Have the missions scaled up to VA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like the idea!

Additionally, in a similar vein, a "Training Simulation" series could be given on the Fleet Starbases, utilizing the holodeck room (At least I think it was a holodeck room) I found. It could be a series of simple combat exercises in various landscapes (alien world, spacewalk, inside the starbase, aboard ship, etc.), utilizing some different combat formulas (rescue the hostages, breach and overcome, capture the target, last man standing) against any of the current enemy faction NPCs that STO has to offer, with the daily reward being fleet marks -or- dilithium, your choice, similar to the "level apprpriate item -or- dilithium" option given for current dilithium reward missions.

The fleet holodeck could also be used for space-based "training sims" as well, for the same kind of reward.

Missions would be offered on a random basis, so each day, you get a different random training simulation, with the randomizers being:

Space or Ground
    Species
    Objective
    Location / Environment

These missions would be offered by the OOW.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It would be like Zaishen Dailies in Guild Wars. I'd like it a lot, but it would have to be a random mission, determined by the game. If it would be a mission you can freely chose people would pick out the shortest one and repeat that over and over and it wouldn't be better than the old dailies.
  • th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It would be like Zaishen Dailies in Guild Wars. I'd like it a lot, but it would have to be a random mission, determined by the game. If it would be a mission you can freely chose people would pick out the shortest one and repeat that over and over and it wouldn't be better than the old dailies.

There are some missions I simply dont enjoy, so I'd prefer it not to be random. If you are worried about some kind of exploit like you mentioned, then they could simply not allow you to get credit for the same mission more than once a week.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I love the idea, I think by giving rewards for replaying the main story missions is an excellent idea. I think making a daily wrapper for doing one is good, and I'd even suggest another wrapper for completing an entire arc which could give additional rewards, such as fleet marks for example.

Hopefully this is something that can be considered as a way to increase the amount of player interest in the story missions as well, the grind missions we have as of late get boring rather quickly...

Though this probably won't happen due to the disparity between KDF and Fed missions though :(
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There are some missions I simply dont enjoy, so I'd prefer it not to be random. If you are worried about some kind of exploit like you mentioned, then they could simply not allow you to get credit for the same mission more than once a week.

Which would just mean cycling more incredibly fast patrol missions.
    edited July 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    Which would just mean cycling more incredibly fast patrol missions.

When I said "episodes" in the OP, I was talking about...episodes. If that is unclear, those are the storyline missions you play while leveling like "stranded in space" or any of the many featured episodes. Patrols are not "episodes".

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Not a bad idea. There should add a replay story mission to the calandar of hourly events.

And if you replay a mission durring that hour you get extra rewards.
  • rjcfoxtrotrjcfoxtrot Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Solo Daily for Dilithium, Group Daily for Fleet Marks.
    edited July 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I like this idea, modified slightly:

Daily replay in my Starbase's HD for 10 Fleet Marks.

Have the missions scaled up to VA.

I kind of like that: do it at SFA for dilithium *OR* do it at your starbase for fleet marks.

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • philo5oraptorphilo5oraptor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would love something like this!
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You know, I have to wonder if the devs would ignore good ideas like this just because they dont like the Nagus :(
  • j4ck5p4rr0wj4ck5p4rr0w Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You know, I have to wonder if the devs would ignore good ideas like this just because they dont like the Nagus :(

I wouldnt be surprised, mate.
  • vonbonvonbon Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would like them to revamp the "elite idea" so going back and redoing episodes acctully is worthwhile but as you say make it a VA daily "complete this episode today and you get shinies" you would then have to go to to the holodeck and do it, but also, what about the chance, to redo the tutorial mission but on elite mode?
  • fereng1fiendfereng1fiend Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This idea is absolutely...brilliant :cool:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guess who's back...back again!
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This idea is absolutely...brilliant :cool:

Exactly why Cryptic will probably never consider it. :rolleyes:
  • captain4mericacaptain4merica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is such a great idea. I would love to replay those old missions if there were decent rewards for doing so, but at end game its all about dilithium so getting that old gear doesnt help much. I hope the devs listen to this idea.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I had the same idea recently. In a recent ask cryptic, Dstahl said that content needed to be repetable to make it worth creating it, this would be a great solution so that people who enjoy missions can replay them if they want. It's unfortunate to see that 95% of the missions have poor rewards, most people who play endgame content don't need a green or purple shield/armor they can sell for 3k credits on the exchange. That's the perfect solution to make new episodes 'profitable'.

I would slightly improve the idea though : Replay 3 different cryptic episodes, to avoid farming issues. This daily could reward 1400 dil since it would take from 30 to 60 minutes to complete. Since they reward console-clicking with the foundry missions, there is no reason not to use this idea.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • captain4mericacaptain4merica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I would slightly improve the idea though : Replay 3 different cryptic episodes, to avoid farming issues. This daily could reward 1400 dil since it would take from 30 to 60 minutes to complete. Since they reward console-clicking with the foundry missions, there is no reason not to use this idea.

Um, no. You get 1440 dil for completing 3 star cluster missions, which takes only 15-20 mins. Requiring people to play 3 episodes to get that same amount of dil but take a lot longer would be ridiculous. You should get 1440 for only doing 1 episode.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Um, no. You get 1440 dil for completing 3 star cluster missions, which takes only 15-20 mins. Requiring people to play 3 episodes to get that same amount of dil but take a lot longer would be ridiculous. You should get 1440 for only doing 1 episode.

Some episodes takes only 5 or 6 minutes to complete... I know one I used to farm for the shiny reward and it took me roughly 6 minutes to run.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • infammableinfammable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I love the idea of Episode Replay Dailies. Perfect reason/excuse to enjoy all that well-crafted content again. Kudos!
    Because it's the sound that steel shod boots make on the deck plating of a real warship. As opposed [to] the cushy carpeting on the Federation luxury liners.
    Archived post on the origin of the word "Klink"
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    +1

This idea seems easy enough to implement, not exploitable by any means.
    And would make people play the Content that is there more often.

Would i replay because of a daily?
    hmmmh... i hate the old missions, so probably not.
    AND i have lots of ALTs that have skipped most of the missions and leveled up by doffing etc.
    and if you SKIP it doesn't go into replay but first play mode next time you play that mission.

Skipping really should put a mission out of the available tab and activate the Replay button.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The idea is simple: once you reach max level you unlock a new daily to replay one of the previous episodes that you have completed. It could be called "Performance Review" and take place in the holodeck area at Starfleet Academy(and any of the many doors at the Klingon Academy which they could call a "holochamber"). The "storyline" of the daily would be to review your performance on a previous mission and see if you can improve.

IMO the kind of "meat" that the storyline episode missions offer is what is missing from the current dailies. You have lots of little short missions that are basically the same thing every day, but this would give you something to do to earn some dillithium with a little more depth. And if you played a different one each day it would add quite a bit of variety to the current dailies.

/discuss

Agreed, although I don't think we'd need to make them Holodeck simulations. It would just serve as a means to make it more worthwhile to replay the story missions for some folks.

It's been posited by some posters that if people were truly interested in story missions, there wouldn't be so many playing the Nagus dailies. I for one am greatful for the Nagus dailies because they are more than just "quickie clickie" missions; they are on par with dev-created patrols and exploration missions. Perhaps a little better because you add a little extra flavor to them.

However, what is missed by those comments is that the Foundry daily includes a wrapper that gives you 1440 dilithium, just like the exploration daily does and other daily missions do. Now that dilithium is so important to crafting, Fleet projects, and such, people are looking for ways to make dilithium quickly. That means they *have* to play this type of content if they want to advance in *any* of those areas.

Adding dilithium to the main storyline missions would increase their replay potential greatly. It would give those of us who primarily like to play immersive storyline missions the ability to play the part of the game we enjoy most, while still being able to participate in the other parts of the game in a reasonable fashion. It would expand and enhance our gameplay experience.

I am greatful that Cryptic has made the mission scale to level. A number of my newer characters have leveled to VA largely through the Duty Officer system. However, all of the missions are still available to them and I can play through the stories whenever I choose. Given a choice, I'd rather do that than the same relative handful of dailies on every character. Adding dilithium to missions would be beneficial, both to the players and STO.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think it would be a good Idea to throw fleet marks in as a smallish reward as well. It could be 5-10, not very many, but it would be nice to grind while grinding. :P

EDIT: Closed for necroing an old thread. Remember, if a thread has been inactive for 30 days, you should not post to it. Feel free to create a new thread on the subject if you would like to discuss further :) ~BranFlakes
This discussion has been closed.