test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vault Shuttle Event post-S6 feedback

brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
Ahoy, welcome to Season 6! Stick a code fork in it, it's live.
I haven't found any recent posts or threads talking about the Vault, so here's a fresh one.

Executive summary: The clear-all-enemy timers need to be extended slightly (~30+ seconds), depending on the area.
That's it, really. But now for the reasoning...

With all the Starbase stuff going on Tribble, I don't think that the new Vault adjustments were well tested. We knew large ships were going to be excluded. That's fair. Another thread discussed allowing Tier 1 ships to give them some love. But hey I like small craft, I like the Vault, and I like the Reman set. In fact, I'm one of the few people in my large FED/KDF fleets who actually tries to run Vault events. Hasn't panned out, but I'm not here to talk about time-gating. I just want my logs.

So without much flexibility to spec out small craft, I've been enjoying my Stalker with the Aegis set and Torpedo spread. That was working great, and with a minimum of 1 large ship sneaking into the map, I saw a failure rate of maybe 1 in 10 if people got complacent about healing the Rerik, or if a Scorpion got stuck behind a wall and couldn't be found in time.

Since S6 I've run it several times, and so far have a 100% time failure rate without even reaching the Generator room. That's a real bummer! And I can see that the other people on my teams know where to go and what to shoot. And their builds look fine. I enjoy the Stalker because of its reduced aggro and bigger punch. Not helping anymore... The maps are designed to split a group of 5, and in the past circling the room in formation wasn't a good strategy. Now it seems to be the only way to ensure one person doesn't have aggro to activate the triggers early enough, to stop enemy spawns and meet the time limit.

Are there any new strategies working well for others in this post-Cruiser workaday universe? :D
=/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
Post edited by brackynews on

Comments

• brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Here's the horrible thing about shuttle missions...
    Doing the Vault for an hour was already an exercise in frustration, because of power trays. Dstahl and Rivera rightfully say every chance they get, they're looking forward to systems tech that lets players set a default small craft. Awesome. Thumbs up. What needs to be verbally added to that is "and we'll fix the power tray layouts too". I'm a UI mod guy, and a HCI studies guy, and I have a combination of muscle memory and keyboard shortcuts to access all my power trays. Even if I had the dexterity for 100% keybinds I still need to glance at the tray to know my cooldowns.

The fact that switching ships resets the power tray layout every time is... well it should be embarrassing, but clearly not enough to make it a priority after 2 years. It's not as if the trays are suddenly empty every time. It's adding, subtracting, and moving buttons I may not even have used before, so it's populating data from somewhere. And the power list isn't sorted either, it's different every ship and every BOFF configuration. It all eats away at our time. We're F2P now, the point isn't to keep us busy fiddling with menus for a certain percentage of every month. :P The UI in this game is laggy and poor. Full stop. But I love playing despite it.

I'm getting off topic, but the point is there's a combination of many factors that make this particular mission and its rewards annoying to begin with. For people like me who actually enjoy playing it 4 or 5 times in the span of an hour, removing that accomplishment through a much greater likelihood of timed failure makes it a total write off.
  • dshot79dshot79 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2012
    Perhaps a simple AI Difficulty nerf would suffice? Or as was suggested a slight extension of time. We've been used to being able to use larger ships (with move punch) but now we need to reorganize ourselves and I don't think the small craft can honestly cut it as is.
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Unfortunately I have to agree.

I am happy that finally the "big ships" are banned from it. I like the challenge to finish it with small crafts. I did it several time with small crafts only befor S6. It was sometimes very close but at least we could beat it.

I really don't know if there's any change to the mission but today I did my 9th run in a row without even entering room 3.

Yes, I did it with PUGs. But the people did know what to do. The Rerik was healed when it was necessary and the things were disabled. But in this 9 runs every time we were running out of time for beating up all the enemies in the room.

I don't have a problem with loosing the challenge... but 9 times in a row is very frustrating.

So I wonder how many Vault events did other players finished since S6?
  • rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    one of my favorite subjects. i decided i wanted the reman set upgraded to 12 and went to work. i have high hopes for the fully upgraded set.

before season 6 i typically won at least 3 out of 4 attempts; with or without big ships. as of now i need 7 measly reman datalogs to compete my last upgrade to shields.

i honestly think i lost more with big ships because players expected the big ship to win it for them and they did not work objectives or kill enemy fast enough.

i notice people are still trying to sneak in big ships, which get thrown out and then you only have 3 or 4 players to do an almost impossible mission. at least i discovered if you leave in these cases the timer penalty does not apply. i just start over and hope to get 5.

i have won the vault several times since season 6, but now the ratio is more like 1 out of 4. twice i have received 480 dilithium instead of datalogs. i was livid!! did not see that coming.

it is still possible to win but time is of the essence. i have lost several vaults by mere seconds before that last enemy ship could be destroyed. i am hoping players will get better at doing this mission or as some suggested extend the time or something.

i figure the guys that played only with big ships have to totally re-learn how to do the vault with a small ship. i like using a peregrine fighter with anitproton DHC and beam. the rapid cannon fire works great on turrets and the big BOPs.

and i use a 3 piece borg set with maco 12 shields (i borrow from a big ship), neutronium and mag gens.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, with the fix in place to keep cap ships out the vault is going in the right direction BUT the event timer that nerfs datalog payout in favor dilithium kills the entire event for me. It needs to go back to the way it was. The vault was hard (and it's SUPPOSED to be) but the current S6 configuration ensures that only trained teams will get the loot if they start the last run 10+ minutes BEFORE the event is scheduled to end.

50 minutes for a 60 minute event is NOT ACCEPTABLE.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    rdm1958 wrote: »
    i notice people are still trying to sneak in big ships, which get thrown out and then you only have 3 or 4 players to do an almost impossible mission. at least i discovered if you leave in these cases the timer penalty does not apply. i just start over and hope to get 5.

That happened to me as well. Unfortunately the queue wasn't full enough so noone was warped in. We tried it with 4 playes but again we ran out of time (even with shutting down the conduits).
  • kieshdorfkieshdorf Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Long time ago I have complained about how the shuttle system is lacking item content. Even now its still lacking the 360 degree beam arrays are lacking in diversity like ones with acc. or dam., just the 2 crit. mods. The shuttle system is just like PVP and the KDf faction, horribly implemented with content waved over it while important stuff are removed or nerfed while being supplied with horrible support, which in turn lowers player population causing even less development, and finally loaded with many bugs and glitches.

The reason the vualt was opened up from its original time gating was supposed to be to allow thoes with terrible schedules who always miss it to actually play it for the data logs but with that removed they end up with dillithium instead. Which many times they still don't get due to the horrible systems in place like a scorpion fighter cloaking and flying into a glitch which then cuases players to struggle to find a way to at least shoot at it before they loose which 9/10 they end up failing.
    what the hell is up with the crappy "f" at the end of my name was never there on either website till the crappy change
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    A few more seconds would help, most of the time were are fighting the only enemy left in the room when the time just runs out :( . Hey even just 10 more seconds could boost my winning ratio from 1/6 to 3/4.
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
    edited July 2012
    A few more seconds would help, most of the time were are fighting the only enemy left in the room when the time just runs out :( . Hey even just 10 more seconds could boost my winning ratio from 1/6 to 3/4.

i would agree with that about the 10 seconds.

also, a little more cooperation would help. how many times have you tried to remodulate 1 or 3 while a BOP is all over you? where is the help?

i know the vault is going to be good when the objectives are done fast and others help me attacke the BOPs.

if i am fighting BOPs all by myself or going from one side to the other to get objectives, i know i am going to lose......and i hate that.

i just need 5 more datalogs and since season 6 they have been slow to come. i do think players are adjusting and are getting better at the vault.

pet peeve: they are still trying to sneak in big ships. sigh.....
  • vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    another broken 'fix' by cryptic.

Hey guys,

You know,

You can,

TEST things before you send them out?

Could you imagine if food production companies were run the same way.. eh it looks fine.. oh look.. needles in my Turkey Sandwich. ( recent event fyi )

Cryptic must be helping them make the sandwiches. Don't worry, they will fix them, in a day, week, month or year.. or so.
    :eek:
    edited July 2012
    One of our group who got stiffed because the event ended before we completed nailed it with this comment- "They don't want us to have the REMAN gear".

Ya, they sure fixed the vault.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• carl104carl104 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Seriouslly if i can't get data logs outside the event I'M NIOT GOING TO BOTHER, no matter how easy or hard it is. I live in the EU, the event often dosen't line up well and i am not wasting months to get a set that is castegoriclly infiriour to the other options avalibile to me. Why should i.

I also have to be honest, having done a couple of all shhuttle runs pre-season 6 when i first tried it, i don;t think it's very good anyway. the whole basic premise is flawed becuase it's far too easy to fail this thing. There way too many things that can cause a failure, and everything in their is tightened down to the barest margin of error.

Add that to that fact that shuttle remove everything thats actually fun about flying spacships in STO and i have littile intrest.
  • thor759thor759 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Well, with the fix in place to keep cap ships out the vault is going in the right direction BUT the event timer that nerfs datalog payout in favor dilithium kills the entire event for me. It needs to go back to the way it was. The vault was hard (and it's SUPPOSED to be) but the current S6 configuration ensures that only trained teams will get the loot if they start the last run 10+ minutes BEFORE the event is scheduled to end.

50 minutes for a 60 minute event is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

My team hit this problem today, we started at 5:55pm and were most upset not to get the datachip at the end. It is hard enough with shuttles without getting kicked at the end because the goal posts have moved and nobody said anything. Please put the vault event back as it was, keep the big ships out but base it on the starting time not the finishing time!
  • yellnyelln Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kieshdorf wrote: »
    Which many times they still don't get due to the horrible systems in place like a scorpion fighter cloaking and flying into a glitch which then cuases players to struggle to find a way to at least shoot at it before they loose which 9/10 they end up failing.

Does the fire at will bug counter this? Fire at will supposedly auto target cloaked enemies.

It is unfortunate the vault is this way, I like the idea of a shuttle mission but this is a bit much. Currently using slipstream in a shuttle is the better shuttle amusement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Now partying like its 1999 on the forums.
    edited July 2012
    i need 2 datalogs to fully upgrade my reman set to mk12. after that i don't think i will EVER do the vault again. i'm amazed that players have no idea how to do this mission. with good players it is easy, but otherwise it is miserable.
  • jg2112jg2112 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like it better post-S6 for only one reason: the queue is now a PvE queue. I have never played it before S6 because the previous queue was so messed up I wasn't able to join.
    edited July 2012
    It would be a benefit if extra chips could be transferred - otherwise they are worthless and you have worked hard to get them. Depending on how the Duty Officer Upgrades go you can end up needing more chips to complete and if they are sitting on another character unused this is a frustration. A small change but I am sure it would be welcomed by most players.
    edited July 2012
    I'm not sure if anything was done to the vault with the 7-20 patch but I did notice yesterday in both my event participations (about 6 runs in total) the scorpion spawn rate is down a bit from last week. Also noted twice our team completed the run with seconds to spare and got the dreaded "we have to retreat' message. I'm thinking server lag may have nerfed our award as we all looked around and saw NO remaining enemies with less that 10 seconds to spare, and still had to retreat empty handed.

Dunno, it seems better but not 'fun' like the old days.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Glad to see general consensus. ;)

Last week I had a few good runs, but I tried another few tonight and it was alllll over the map.

Run 1: Failed room 3-- had a team leader who REALLY knew his stuff. Record time through rooms 1 & 2. 'Dex did not spawn until <1 minute on timer. Impossible to kill. First time I've ever seen such a thing. Also the thaleron hit the Rerik THREE TIMES. omg....:confused:
    Run 2: Aborted room 1-- team never got past 4 players. Didn't even see a fifth drop out.
    Run 3: Failed room 2-- I pugged with a fleet team of 4. Good coordination but too much aggro in Room 2 at core 4. Couldn't mop up in time.

I am DONE with this event until I see patch notes. :mad: Gorramn waste of time. Don't turn all these events into mini-stfs, that's not the game I want to play.
    edited July 2012
    i'm happy to announce i finally got the few remaining datalogs i needed to upgrade the reman set to mkII. not a bad set and i really like it, but 3 piece borg and maco 12 shields are still the best.

i played the vault much more relaxed a couple of times after getting all the datalogs i needed. i really paid attention to what was going on.

many in the vault have no idea what is going on. they are waiting on someone else to get the objectives and kill all the enemy.

when obisek calls people to meet him at the door many players are already there; clueless that they must clear the rooms or complete objectives.

poor weapon choices or not good at using weapons choice. i generally used mkII antiproton beam and DHC on a peregrine fighter. worked well for me. i could slow down near a BOP and with rapid cannon fire take it out fast. peregrine fighters are very fast.

funniest moment; a guy was flaming at everyone telling them they needed to destroy the orbs as he set next to the icon to remodulate 1. i just set there watching and was amazed he did not "click" on it to remodulate. just kept typing away about blowing up orbs. too funny.
    edited July 2012
    thor759 wrote: »
    My team hit this problem today, we started at 5:55pm and were most upset not to get the datachip at the end. It is hard enough with shuttles without getting kicked at the end because the goal posts have moved and nobody said anything. Please put the vault event back as it was, keep the big ships out but base it on the starting time not the finishing time!

I have revised my position on this - datachips are awarded for the full hour - you need to start your run 10 minutes before the event start time - this will ensure that your group finishes while the event is underway. (Unfortunately not many players seem to have caught on yet.) You need a group who know how to do the event with the right equipment. It is no good belly aching when you do not have the right gear or an understanding of the tactics required. Even so it has to go like clockwork and it makes it very tough for newbies - at the moment there is no walk-though on Wiki for them to study. You need to start your last mission with 20 minutes left on the event timer. If you finish 1 second after the end time you will not get the datachip. It is not so much fun as it was before when you could get a big ship in if you knew how, no one forced you to fly one but it made the job of obtaining datachip's a lot easier especially when a minimum of 96 are need to achieve the Purple Mk XII set (which is well worth having.). A lot of people complained however and players were accused of cheating! With the new setup it is now a very long term project as you will be very lucky to get 3 datachips per event and most players will probably become bored with the process and give up. All in All what was a fun hour has now become a bit of a grind.
    edited July 2012
    a big ship in the vault did not always guarantee a win. however, before season 6 my win rate was probably 3 out of 4 at least. after season 6 it was probably 1 out of 8.

as i stated earlier, i really like the set, but at this time i don't have it in me to get another 89 datalogs. i have another set and one left over datalog (a souvenir), so assuming all upgrade attempts were successful that would be a minimum of 89.

perhaps later when people figure out how to do the mission. right now most players are lost in there.
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Vault sucks, did it at least 12-15 times in a row and only got past the room once and got TRIBBLE for it. Stupid! Elite STF's are easier and make more sense.
  • yellnyelln Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I tried Fire at will. It does target the invisible fighters, but honestly leaves you lacking in firepower for the Birds of Prey. Seems I'll just stick with torpedo doffs and spread torpedo.

Is there a way to avoid the Thalaron beams? I seem to always be parked ready to explode when it happens in the last room. Which is strange because I thought I've avoided them in the past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Now partying like its 1999 on the forums.
    edited July 2012
    Spent a very frustrating hour with some good players trying to get past room two last night. Try as we might we could not clear it - the spawn rate of Warbird's seems to have increased to the point where it is now impossible!!!! It would be interesting to know if anyone has been successful since the last patch?
  • dradymdradym Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i just wish i could be a lil more successful, since once you get 10 datalogs, you can still fail the doff assignment, which ive done the 2 times ive been able to get enough datalogs...ive lost 10 through failure. the only reason why i bother because its the closest to a romulan warbird i can get
    edited July 2012
    I believe the spawn rate of the WB's in the second room is tied to the orbs around the objectives. I haven't quite confirmed this but the few times I've played with others VERY familiar with the event I've noticed the WB's spawn less often when those orbs have been killed.

Can anyone else confirm this observation ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited August 2012
    You are correct, but we have hit the objectives as required but still cannot clear the room, re spawns do not seem to cut off!!. To me there is a bug since the patch on 26/07/12 - hence the reason for asking if anyone has succeeded in completing the mission since then. I have filed a bug report but it is pot luck whether any action will be taken. Please bear in mind that we were obtaining 2/3 datachips per event prior to the 26/07/12
    I suspect that PW do not really want you to upgrade the Re-Man set anymore as they generate no income from it.