test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

IF you could pick one director to save the Star Trek franchise, who would it be?

13»

Comments

• husker75husker75 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm all for Moore, but not Brad Wright. The guy was a key player in Stargate Universe. All that show did was rip off Battlestar Galactica, and no one can rip off the greatest sci-fi show ever.

I do like the idea of Manny Coto to write. You can tell from Enterprise Season 4 that he is a great writer and a hardcore Trek fan.
  • husker75husker75 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would love to see a Star Trek miniseries that dealt with the Romulan War and finally gave Enterprise the ending that it deserved.

I think a miniseries is a great idea. I worked for Galactica. CBS could make a miniseries to test the demographics and see if it is worth the money to start a whole new star trek series (hopefully J.J. won't be involved) :).
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Uwe Boll

>_>

<_<

:::hides under desk:::

Setting phasers to OVERKILL!!!

And may I suggest Hideaki Anno (look him up on Wikpedia)...

*sees everyone setting their phasers to overkill while a Klingon rushes him from behind with a Bat'leth...*

Aw... great... x_X
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • nyiadnyiad Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I could almost care less if it isn't such a biased person as JJ...my God what we did to Star Trek...he should NEVER be allowed to touch this franchise.
  • retunred4goodretunred4good Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Anyone. Anyone but JJ, even Spike Lee. But I do think Leonard Nimoy would do nicely.
    -It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain.
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My Choices.

Spielberg
    Cameron
    Nolan
    Nimoy
    Coen Brothers
    Neil Balnkampf (District Nine)
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • senshibat01senshibat01 Member Posts: 11,249 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the above Msr JAckson of LOTR
    and The Cohen Brothers
    in the prime with a generations nexus cross over to jj

called Datas bad dream
    e81d2f2c7ce74e61cba28154fcac4cc2.jpg
    Tsuki ni Kawatte Oshioki Yo
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Chris Nolan and Jonathan Frakes.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Seth Green and Matthew Senreich.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Johnathan Frakes.

After all, he DID direct Star Trek: First Contact.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tharkan wrote: »
    Johnathan Frakes.

After all, he DID direct Star Trek: First Contact.

QFT. Frakes did a fantastic job with First Contact. Being surrounded by the series for such a long time, there are very few who can properly capture the feel that prime Star Trek has.

I like Frakes better as a director than an actor too.
  • piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well if I found out that Peter Jackson was as much a Trek fan as he is a Tolkien fan I would say him.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Clint Eastwood. I'd like to see him bring us a Captain who is a cross between "hang 'em high McCoy" from Law and Order and Dirty Harry ofc.
  • mkilczewskimkilczewski Member Posts: 284
    edited July 2012
    Quentin Tarantino

"Is there a sign on the front of this Starbase that says Dead F-in Klingon Storage"?

"No, I'm very f-in, far from living long and prospering, right now"

"I'm gonna have a couple hard banging, Orion MFs come by with proto plasers, and hypo spanners, and get mirror universe on his sorry ***."

"Now just reach into that bag, and take out my combadge, it's the one that says Bad*** MFer on it."
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    #1 on the above.

Rated 'R' Trek could be fun.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • cptvar88cptvar88 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "Personally, I'd love to see Christopher Nolan do at least one Trek film" in the immortal words of Darth Vader, "NNNNNNNNNNNooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!"

After seeing the dreadfully horrible "The Dark Knight Rises" ive lost all faith in Mr. Nolan. No sir Mr Nolan you do not get to retool entire characters I.e **** Grayson into entirely new beings that are completely FUbar from the original material.

But h3ll ill throw my name into the ring of someone who would do a great job being a film maker and Trekkie from birth.

But in all seriousness: LeVar Burton should direct! The episodes he directed of TNG/DS9/Voyager are among the best in the series imho. With Frakes as a supporting directing for his grasp of Scope. The two of them combine would create gold!

But in reality JJ Abrams has done a decent job and if you watch Trek Nation in the interview with him and Eugene he obvious understand the importance of what he is doing and i think many fans will be pleasantly surprise with Trek 2.
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I love the work JJs team has done, I just don't like the work JJ has done. The story to Trek'09 was good, the script was well written, and the movie was all around entertaining. Unfortunately, the directing was extremely un-Trek. The blurry camera work, the uber-seizure lens flares, and silly way the camera never stops moving hurt the movie. Star Trek has always enjoyed conservative directing and extremely clean shots. It well complements Gene Roddenberry's neat and tidy vision of humanity's future.

I don't credit JJ for the successes of Trek'09. In fact, I don't think much of him at all.

Lost was a big convoluted lie, Cloverfield was maybe the worst movie I've ever seen, and Person of Interest is boring... he does nothing for me.
  • sierrafortunesierrafortune Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think Ridley Scott could do well. The way he did Prometheus didn't really work well to me in the strain of Aliens, but I think the more grandiose, sweeping visual aspects would work better in a Trek setting. As the for story, I don't think he'd get it perfect, but to be honest it'd be hard to do much worse than some of the other trek movies.

Frakes would also be a good choice since he knows Trek, and he's done a lot more since First Contact that's been pretty good as well. Christopher Nolan would also probably do a good job, he's good with the more cerebral stuff that also gels well with Trekkies.

And of course Joss Whedon, if you're going to do a complete reboot like they did with JJ. I think Joss would have been a better choice for that. Rebooting Trek in a more Firefly/Serenity Fashion would have given it a better feel, than letting JJ make his own Star Wars movie. It still wouldn't be Trek, like we like Trek, but if you're going to do a complete reboot that you want to stand out from the originals, that's who I'd go to.

People I wouldn't go to?

J.J Abrams. Lost and Fringe are 'okay', but everything else has been horrid. As others have stated he didn't even know what Trek is. I can't help but feel that the only reason he was allowed the keys to the Cadillac is because he's someones pretty boy. From the moment I saw the Enterprise being built on the ground I didn't think he was going to do well. I'm willing to reserve judgement though at least until the next movie. It's not that Nutrek is any worse than some of the old treks, some of those were really bad movies. It's just that it really feels like the guy was writing a Star Wars fanfic more than anything else.

Steven Spielberg. Everything he does in the exact same. There's always the mystery/god/alien entity, there's always some freaking little kid running around, and there's always the same exact kinds of people in everything he does. It's like he's in a contest to see how much money by making the exact same thing over and over again.
  • uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't think it needs saving, I think it is doing just fine.
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    How about Leiji Matsumoto? I figure Star Trek could use a different flavor sometimes. :)

Yes... he's the guy that did the Star Blazers and Galaxy 999 animes (as well as that Daft Punk video the name of I can't exactly remember at the moment)...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • umichiganumichigan Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    J.J. Abrams is one of the most overrated directors ever. The only reason for the alternate time line is both his arrogance and his inability to work within canon due to a lack of imagination. Has anyone mentioned Nick Meyers, creator of the best ST films? First and foremost you need a good writer. Spock and Uhura? Really? Abrams is an idiot...
  • chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    umichigan wrote: »
    J.J. Abrams is one of the most overrated directors ever. The only reason for the alternate time line is both his arrogance and his inability to work within canon due to a lack of imagination. Has anyone mentioned Nick Meyers, creator of the best ST films? First and foremost you need a good writer. Spock and Uhura? Really? Abrams is an idiot...

I think the idea of going back to the Kirk era harkens to unimaginative. He also admitted that he did not know what made the original crew click.... Talk about ignorant of the source material. Those screen writers they have make some abominable screenplays *cough cough cough transformers cough cough cough*