test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The economy of STO

waveofthefuturewaveofthefuture Member Posts: 97 Arc User
Like it or not, STO has a economy. It has its ups and downs, annoyances and nice things, but I think some things could use changing.

1. Get rid of energy credits and use purly GPL. Right now, GPL does not have much use, execpt for stupid stuff. In the shows, most business dealings use gold pressed latinum, so shouldn't STO use that too?

2. Change dilithium. Our ships use it, so why use it as a currency? It could be something along the lines of what ever it is that they use to replicate stuff. This would make sense because it would take that kind of stuff to replicate rare materials used in things that cost in dilithium now. (could call them replicant materials, or RM)

3. Allow for more interesting business, such as fleets being able to have star bases wreaked, but also offering missions to people, allowing them to become mercinaries. Such things as back door business deals, repeatable infiltration missions. Being able to offer people things for completing missions for you.

Just suggestions.

(and make the lock box [of any kind] only purchasable at the c-store. But it comes with the key)
Post edited by waveofthefuture on

Comments

• sroansroan Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    fine ideas in theory but i doubt it will change. GPL only has value to certain races. Star Fleet uses it to trade with those races and thats all. I agree that the Dilithium is weird as a currency because the only currency thats in the shows is GPL. Troy said in an ep of TNG that war, hunger and poverty are all eliminated on Earth. So residents of Earth have no use for currency.
    Proud Co-founder of Caitian Fleet a Caitian only fleet
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just as an FYI, Dilithium crystals were a bartered currency, especially in TOS. The crystals aren't that common and so have value - much like gold, diamonds, etc does in our time period - and have been used as a basis for trade values.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • thadekthadek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think they should create a feature that allows players to create shops that work with the exchange or independent. Allow players to develop their own unique shop style so other players know who who they buy from and the store's reputation from prices as opposed to the anonymity of the current exchange. Think about it, would you rather buy from a trusted, long time member of ebay or some anonymous account?
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thadek wrote: »
    I think they should create a feature that allows players to create shops that work with the exchange or independent. Allow players to develop their own unique shop style so other players know who who they buy from and the store's reputation from prices as opposed to the anonymity of the current exchange. Think about it, would you rather buy from a trusted, long time member of ebay or some anonymous account?
    As the items have no real value what's the difference? A purple MK XII phaser is the same item whether you buy it from me or someone else. The only difference is the price, not the reputation of the seller. On ebay you can be cheated and not get what you purchased. In the Exchange A is A no matter who sells it, and so their reputation means nothing.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • thadekthadek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    As the items have no real value what's the difference? A purple MK XII phaser is the same item whether you buy it from me or someone else. The only difference is the price, not the reputation of the seller. On ebay you can be cheated and not get what you purchased. In the Exchange A is A no matter who sells it, and so their reputation means nothing.

True, it is the same item, but not always price. Also, think about it this way instead: allow fleets to create stores to raise funds for special projects or purchase commodities for starebase projects. I am not so much suggesting stores because you for being cheated (then again, some of the prices are a little too extreme on some items. like provisions for a couple grand?) but as just another way to personalize your character .
  • wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thadek wrote: »

When I played Guild War's I would farm for drops in the mid level range, and head to the starting city and set-up shot by occasionally shouting "Whacky Wildmouse's Wonderful World of Weapons" - sell everything for half what everyone else was (even though it was usually more then double what the merchants would give) - I admit it was fun, and I did have a rep for being fair with my pricing, and selling out supper fast.

But that game didn't have an exchange, or auction house - and spamming zone chat in the cities was the only way to move product. with these other systems in place, there's no real point to it.

On Topic -

GPL - is the currency of choice outside of star fleet - but energy credits has been used as currency between star fleet officers. specifically in the early day's of voyager when they needed to ration the use of energy, there were people who would trade their energy rations for favors and stuff.

In the concept video, he talk's about Fleet Doff missions to sabotage other fleet's base's and cause damage that they will need to repair - not sure if this content made it in to later tiers, but lot's of changes from the concept to release - so who knows...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIJA5rOuTag
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU