test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do I make millions on the exchange?

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
OK Ladies and Gents,
I know the exchange is a bit messed up right now, but I have no doubt it will be fixed. I've read from time to time people mentioned they make over a million ec a day on the exchange. One guy I read even said he had made 160 million in one day (whether or not he was exagerating I don't know). I've been playing since free to play in January, and today I just now was about 300,000 away from my 10 million cap (and that was from two efficient saurian sales in the last month), and bought a bunch of stuff to reduce my amount, because so far I haven't wanted to cough up 500 zen for the upgrade. However, if I thought I could actually make some really good ec, I might.

So does anyone have a guide or advice on what I should do to make more, more quickly? Please help! Thanks
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk
Post edited by djf021 on

Comments

• Options
    article001article001 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    basically, sell stuff.

additionally, sell stuff but don't give out your secrets.

good luck!
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you complete the support clusters - think there is 14 in total - you can sell the white refugees you get (last check they were 380k each) plus on a crit you get a purple doff, a blue for completing the chain

Junior officer packs from the academies (5-600k), white and green doffs are at a high atm, some whites going for up to 800k, security is around 6-700k range

Tour the universe run (easily get 3 runs in with the borg engines and driver coil (1mil+)

powered artifacts made from strange artifacts (1mil)

Heavy phaser turrets (find the doff mission that gives you the plans and make it (20 lots and each lot is going for 50k each atm)

Gamma quadrant comodoties (shapeshifting lockets ect)

Rare particle traces - some go for a lot

just some i can think off atm, theres lots of ways of getting EC
  • Options
    shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Generally the more money you have the easier it is to make it. I can't really give out secrets (although some of the things already posted are very good starts) but basically you just have to use a little bit of lateral thinking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    kagurazaka77kagurazaka77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Don't tell anyone I told you this....

They will probably hunt me down... but....

Buy low... sell high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Buy low... sell high.

How. Dare. You!
  • Options
    darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited July 2012

Buy low... sell high.

Way to go in giving out our biggest secret :rolleyes:

;)
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The future of the universe is in the hands of someone who is more interested in money than the future of man (and alien of course) kind.

*sigh*

Or to take two seconds to type make money into the search function I guess.

Oh and it was 189m in a day if you were looking at one of my posts. Not pure profit but I compare between ending day totals. Profit was about 70m for that if looked at over a week or so.
  • Options
    salenferretsalenferret Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Buy low, sell high.

And when in doubt, buy stuff on the Exchange that's listed under 50% it's base price, and sell it to a vendor who will give you the 50% price.

Shields, Engines, Deflectors, big ticket items get undervalued on the exchange all the time. Just buy them up, sell them to vendors, enjoy the profit.

Also, Doffs are going for crazy prices right now, because of Fleets. Stock up on new Duty Officer recruitment missions from the Personnel Officer at your Academy of choice, and sell the ones you don't need off for big MONEY! I made like 1.1 mill off 2 white Security officers yesterday. It was CrAZy!!!
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The future of the universe is in the hands of someone who is more interested in money than the future of man (and alien of course) kind.

*sigh*

Or to take two seconds to type make money into the search function I guess.

Oh and it was 189m in a day if you were looking at one of my posts. Not pure profit but I compare between ending day totals. Profit was about 70m for that if looked at over a week or so.

LOL yep I think it WAS you I recognize your picture on the left now.

Anyways, I don't mean to sound ignorant. I have been hanging out at DS9 for a long time now, figured out the gamma quadrant stuff sells for a lot, and takes only patience for me to catch the Doff assignments. And yes, I've been undercutting SLIGHTLY when I sell them, usually by 1-10 ec. Just enough to make it obvious that the price is a bit lower for the buyers out there.
    It never occured to me to go through the academy again lol, that's a good idea. Anything else that can be shared without giving away "secrets" I'd appreciate, thanks.
    I never
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Whatever you do, don't try it until they fix the exchange.
    <3
  • Options
    uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't agree with it, but here's how they do it...

1. Put something up for sale at 5 billion times what it is worth, and sooner or later some idiot will buy it.

Personally, I usually sell items in a matter of minutes because I do the opposite. I put items for sale at list price (which is twice what you could sell it for in-game, but no where near what price others are asking for in the exchange). As such my stuff sells almost instantly.

Also keep in mind that the exchange is not as broken as most claim.
    - Use the search feature, the more specific your search terms, the better the results.
    The sheer number of items on the exchange make it impossible to return every result (do you really want to sort through 500,000 phaser arrays?). Use the search features (typing in as much of the name as possible, and clicking on the appropriate category) and it works just fine.
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Personally, I usually sell items in a matter of minutes because I do the opposite. I put items for sale at list price (which is twice what you could sell it for in-game, but no where near what price others are asking for in the exchange). As such my stuff sells almost instantly.

Take advantage of people who think like this. It is the best way. I constantly buy items that are underpriced and re-sell them for what they are worth. You can make an easy 1mil with about 5 minutes of effort.

The second piece of advice I can give you is to be patient. Items in STO don't depreciate, 1mil today is the same as 1mil tomorrow. If an item sells instantly or it takes a couple tries, the value doesn't change.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    edited July 2012

You have to select the rarity as well. At least I have had to do so.

It's just the same bug we've dealt with for about 5-6 minths now. It;s just gotten worse. twg042370 is just going around to all of the exchange threads and posting that.

And as noted before, I'm still making my millions. ;) (Actually they've dropped off because no many folks are buying and selling as they're thinking it is broken.)
  • Options
    geordiecraigstageordiecraigsta Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I had a clear-out of all my Doff's that i didn't use or want on my five toons the other night, and by simply listing them slightly below the other listed items, I made 47 million EC's in 2.5hrs. As soon as i was posting them they were being snapped up.

On each of those toons i started all of the recruitment missions at the academies so that when i log on tonight i will have another 100 (approx) shiny new Doffs to sell.

Mmmmmmore EC's.
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Also keep in mind that the exchange is not as broken as most claim

Actually it is, it isn't removing sold items from the exchange after they are bought, the server for it has bugs and I have a gotten response from the Support team that the Exchange Server is a little unstable and bugged atm and they are currently working to resolve it.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Actually it is, it isn't removing sold items from the exchange after they are bought, the server for it has bugs and I have a gotten response from the Support team that the Exchange Server is a little unstable and bugged atm and they are currently working to resolve it.

Sold items disappear fine if you follow the given instructions. Pick the rarity and department and things work. if you buy something off the original list, yes it remains. I do hope folks are following the given work around.

Been selling and buying most of the day fine without issue. SOld items are removed. Only once did I get an Unable to buy error and that was on a very underrpiced item so I'm assuming that was something sold before I got to it.

I realize that some folks are on the "Everything that Cryptic does screws thing up" bandwagon but in this case the workaround, and it;s a work around that we've been using for months now, works fine.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

No, no. The high rollers are still able to speculate their way into virtual wealth by swapping the few highly expensive items the exchange will display with each other. Didn't you read the the rest of the thread? Everything is fine.
    <3
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I usually sell items in a matter of minutes because I do the opposite. I put items for sale at list price (which is twice what you could sell it for in-game, but no where near what price others are asking for in the exchange). As such my stuff sells almost instantly.

I do something similar. I always put my second hand gear or unwanted Doffs/ Boffs on the exchange for cheap.

I do this because I'm hoping those items will get picked up by some freshly ranked player who needs to gear up, but is lacking a lot of EC because the game levels them too fast to earn enough. Or a to a Silver player who has that low EC cap to deal with... Or pretty much anyone who doesn't sit in ESD all day hitting refresh looking for items to speculate out of the price range of the average player.

I don't know how successful I am at helping less fortunate players than me. I figure it's hard for them to compete with someone already sitting on the finish line.
    <3
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Think what you want guys, I know it's not working right since season 6 was release and got confirmation from support that it is an issue and being worked on.

And for a matter of fact I have read the whole thread. :rolleyes:
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Think what you want guys, I know it's not working right since season 6 was release and got confirmation from support that it is an issue and being worked on.

And for a matter of fact I have read the whole thread. :rolleyes:

Then I must be imagining the 189m I made 3 days ago and the 70m or so I;ve made since then.

It's the same bug we've had for months. It's just gotten worse.

And it doesn;t help with you and others giving incorrect information to other players.

Yes, it;s an issue but yes the exhange works fine if you follow the workaround.

I;m sorry that you can;t understand that.
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Then I must be imagining the 189m I made 3 days ago and the 70m or so I;ve made since then.

It's the same bug we've had for months. It's just gotten worse.

And it doesn;t help with you and others giving incorrect information to other players.

Yes, it;s an issue but yes the exhange works fine if you follow the workaround.

I;m sorry that you can;t understand that.

There are two sets of 10 phaser satellite turrets for 10k that cannot be purchased. In fact I don't think any of the satellite turrets can be purchased right now. The exchange is even more borked than normal.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    There are two sets of 10 phaser satellite turrets for 10k that cannot be purchased. In fact I don't think any of the satellite turrets can be purchased right now. The exchange is even more borked than normal.

I've been buying and selling phaser turrets for days.. made quite a few mil off of 'em so far. There are the two 10 10k stacks that are stuck, and a couple others, but for the most part it's been working fine.
  • Options
    shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't agree with it, but here's how they do it...

1. Put something up for sale at 5 billion times what it is worth, and sooner or later some idiot will buy it.

- Use the search feature, the more specific your search terms, the better the results.
    The sheer number of items on the exchange make it impossible to return every result (do you really want to sort through 500,000 phaser arrays?). Use the search features (typing in as much of the name as possible, and clicking on the appropriate category) and it works just fine.

You'd actually be surprised, as far as weapons and such go there really aren't that many on the Exchange at any one time, at least at the higher levels (and the majority of players are ~50 anyways).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • Options
    thoroonthoroon Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just a hint: The current buggy exchange helps a lot with "buy low, sell high" ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    erocenerocen Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The work around detailed by other players doesn't actually work all the time. Sold items often remain behind. In any case, the devs really need to communicate common bugs and any work arounds to the player base rather than leaving it to us to work it out amongst ourselves. It shows poor communication and a complete lack of customer service. In fact, it would be very simple to set-up a knowledge database of known bugs and work arounds to keep us all up to date.
  • Options
    anagrojanewayanagrojaneway Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm someone who's bank balance can vary 100's of M in a day, and I'll tell. Mostly because a lot of people don't have the patience to do it, knowing when you buy something you aren't normally going to be able to instantly resell it higher. Sometimes it's days, weeks, or months later that investments pay off.

Buy Low / Sell High : A week ago Master Key's were down to 650-680K each one day - now they arr back up to 1.3M-1.5M. It didn't take much forethought to know that one lock box phase was ending, and another beginning and the demand would rise again (because everyone was distracted with the Reenforcement Packs, the Key market went way low).

Also, produce - make Consoles constantly. When you get a big seller (you can get up to 30-40M for certain ones regularly, a month or two ago I sold one for a ridiculous 95 million - depends on what the market looks like that day), you make enough to finance buying many more artifacts and can have a little console factory going. You can't do this only on the "free" artifacts you get from the DOff missions (though I always make sure I get them on all toons when available), it takes investment - money to make money.

Once you've got more resources, you can play the lockbox game - once you get your first ship, you can hawk it, buy more keys, and go again - sure, it's very possible to get burned, but I eventually got over 20 D'kora just buying keys, selling off D'kora (after I had the amount I personally wanted), buying more keys, rinse, repeat. And you get to keep all the lobi (I have thousands in the bank). It's not for the feint of heart, though, as occasionally you can not get another ship for awhile - but then I'd just sell some more consoles and start the process over again.

There are many ways to make money, you just have to be intelligent about how it all works. And stay on top of things - checking Tribble notes to be able to predict demand is one way. Listen to players talk, find out why the buy the way they do.

STO is an incredibly easy game to be a Trader/Merchant in. But it does take time, some level of dedication, and a certain amount of common sense/basic MMO knowledge.

That said, the current exchange issues are good for no one - buyers or sellers. It hurts buyers (not being able to get items at the lowest possible price), it hurts sellers because no one can see your lower price. So the only people "winning" are those "gaming" the system, as opposed to those who just play the supply/demand game.
  • Options
    chk231chk231 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Selling Doffs has become very profitable, especially with the launch of Fleet starbases. I would hold on to ALL doffs you get until you look at their price on the exchange. There are many white tactical doffs that are worth a couple million now. Also, like what the above poster said, you can buy low, sell high.